Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed"Freedom" thread or something

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 257258259260261 294>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 11:03
The peace prize should be given to someone who's does something for peace, not to new presidents who have barely had time to use the Whitehouse toilet for the first time.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 11:06
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Amber Heard's the easy choice there.

Agreed.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 12:16
As poor taste and insulting as that joke was, really just another case of singling Obama out.
I mean...first, look at all the horrible sh*t said in politics, including jokes. Two, many of us (and I KNOW for a fact MoM is one) often use, shall I say questionable humor and like to tell people to quit being PC a****les when called out, so look it's a joke, awful as it was. I'll cut the guy slack and not cave to the petty pondering that we always see. OR call out every truly awful said thing by a politician...I'll get back to you in 50 yearsLOL

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize folks.

Yes ..you're right, they should have given it to Dubya.

Wink

Wow, talk about a bad jokeTongue

Of course Obama was underserving. Ideology and etc had nothing to do with it, he was awarded the prize at the start of his Presidency! Complete bullsh*t, and when we see what he's actually done looks even more ridiculous.
Needless to say I'd like  Wubya, Dick, Rummy and co tried as war criminals, but if we did that pretty much every Pres and most politicians would be locked up. Which who knows, maybe isn't so bad right now!

Edited by JJLehto - October 10 2013 at 12:18
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 13:54
I never really understood why people look into the Nobel Peace Prize very much. For God's sake Bono was nominated how many times? Anyway, Obama's a good public speaker and a Democrat following Bush. That's basically 75% of a Peace Prize right there. Throw in a little First Black US President and BAM! there's a Nobel. He could have been talking about jerking off unicorns for all of his campaign and still probably would have won it.

Anyway, sucks that we have to wait another year for elections in Congress. Ye gods, would the Republicans get slaughtered if it were this year.
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 14:22

IKR it's actually even more useless than the NP for economics! While that one was just made up to keep reinforcing support for mainstream keynesian thought/a cult not allowing outside ideas at least they have to do something.

That would make a great campaign. Jerking off unicorns sounds better than...hm everything at the moment. If he promised 2 sunsets a day, a million bucks a year for all of us, inflation free, and the end of Miley Cyrus talk, hell Id be willing to believe it < 3
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 14:44
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I never really understood why people look into the Nobel Peace Prize very much. For God's sake Bono was nominated how many times? Anyway, Obama's a good public speaker and a Democrat following Bush. That's basically 75% of a Peace Prize right there. Throw in a little First Black US President and BAM! there's a Nobel. He could have been talking about jerking off unicorns for all of his campaign and still probably would have won it.

Anyway, sucks that we have to wait another year for elections in Congress. Ye gods, would the Republicans get slaughtered if it were this year.

Because the other Nobel prizes are very much seriously awarded. And peace is more important than any of the other categories. And there are plenty of people who do work that legitimately deserves worldwide recognition in the area of peace. And giving a peace prize to a murderer legitimizes the use of that specific murder as a means to achieving peace. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 15:01

And giving a peace prize to a murderer legitimizes the use of that specific murder as a means to achieving peace. 

I'm confident you know what the back and forth would be if I responded to this, so we don't need to have that conversation. I just don't know why you made this statement.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 16:17
Because it's true and directly related to the point you were making? 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 16:31
How many people had Barack Obama killed when he was given the prize?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 16:33
I mean I would have to actually comb through his voting record to see if the answer is any indirectly. But I'll just assume it's zero.

We were talking about the principle of the prize. We weren't talking about the specific awarding to Obama. I'm answering the question of why people place importance on the peace prize and why they should.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 19:25

And exactly how many wars had he averted to the extent he could have?  If I am not mistaken, he had originally voted in favour of the Iraq war?  Except as a good PR stunt, there was absolutely no justification for giving him the prize so soon.  They should have waited for him to get done with his job as President before judging his worthiness for the prize. But he was hardly the first controversial awardee, so the peace prize by itself has long since lost its meaning and been hijacked by PR/politics.

Edited by rogerthat - October 10 2013 at 19:26
manofmystery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2013 at 22:13
I'm not sure how many here are familiar with the comedian Doug Stanhope but I was checking out some of his standup on the YouTube today and came across this video someone put together (it ends with a Whitest Kids You Know sketch) which I felt I had to share. Just so spot on:

Time always wins.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 06:41
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2013 at 16:56
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

As poor taste and insulting as that joke was, really just another case of singling Obama out.
I mean...first, look at all the horrible sh*t said in politics, including jokes. Two, many of us (and I KNOW for a fact MoM is one) often use, shall I say questionable humor and like to tell people to quit being PC a****les when called out, so look it's a joke, awful as it was. I'll cut the guy slack and not cave to the petty pondering that we always see. OR call out every truly awful said thing by a politician...I'll get back to you in 50 yearsLOL

Wink

Of course Obama was underserving. Ideology and etc had nothing to do with it, he was awarded the prize at the start of his Presidency! Complete bullsh*t, and when we see what he's actually done looks even more ridiculous.
Needless to say I'd like  Wubya, Dick, Rummy and co tried as war criminals, but if we did that pretty much every Pres and most politicians would be locked up. Which who knows, maybe isn't so bad right now!
Well of course it was a bad joke; that was the whole point . None of these politicians really deserve a Nobel Peace prize. And 'Wubya' and gang prolly should be tried for their 'crimes' but again that ain't gonna happen since these days most US Presidents are usually guilty of similar things when they get in office.

Gee..if only a true honest Libertarian would run and solve all of our problems.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2013 at 11:51
Whenever you type the word "libertarian" in any browser, in email, or anywhere on the internet, an automatic disclaimer should always appear: LIBERTARIAN =/= REPUBLICAN

That the most visible heads of libertarianism are members of the Republican Party doesn't help really
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 00:03
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

And exactly how many wars had he averted to the extent he could have?  If I am not mistaken, he had originally voted in favour of the Iraq war?  Except as a good PR stunt, there was absolutely no justification for giving him the prize so soon.  They should have waited for him to get done with his job as President before judging his worthiness for the prize. But he was hardly the first controversial awardee, so the peace prize by itself has long since lost its meaning and been hijacked by PR/politics.

Everyone was saying this even at the time, or at least very soon after. He was given it based on words and a hope.

It would be nice if the award carried the weight it deserves, but it just doesn't right now.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2013 at 09:30
Some solid reading right there: the Banality of Systematic Evil
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 08:18

Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Wink

Well of course it was a bad joke; that was the whole point . None of these politicians really deserve a Nobel Peace prize. And 'Wubya' and gang prolly should be tried for their 'crimes' but again that ain't gonna happen since these days most US Presidents are usually guilty of similar things when they get in office.

Gee..if only a true honest Libertarian would run and solve all of our problems.
Wink

k
I mean I get it.
To be fair, you are far from the first (in fact you're really just one in a million to do this)
but yes I get it: to you libertarians are just republicans

Said it a million times, I agree. Rpublicans are obviously using the buzzwords and hype for their gain, with no sincerity. I laugh whenever someone claims limited gov (they just really want tax breaks or have some vague notion most of the time) and then supports GOP. As I just said, I fully admit most people are dumb and don't really get what they say. Most limited gov folk love Reagan which makes zero sense, hell many loved Wubya which if anything makes even less sense.
There are still true libertarians, they are the ones...brace yourself, that don't really like the GOP. LOL Shocker I know.

And sure, the "true" libertarian thing is kind of a far fetched idea but how is it any different from progressives who say "no no we need the right government" this is what they say ALL the time. I know, I used to be one.
"Of course there are problems and we're a corrupt corporatist state...we need the correct people!" or "the right system" or "true liberals"

Seems out there to me, they wanna somehow buck hundreds of years of US history, change our culture and maybe even buck human nature...but libertarians are "crazy" when they ask for a "true" supporter????
Way to be

Real irony is I don't even consider myself one. I support many libertarian ideals but they can be easily labeled as "progressive" but it comes across as I do simply because, I have this crazy notion: I hate misinformation, stupidity and bias/propaganda and try to fight against it. Guess that means I must support what I defend!
WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink
WinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWinkWink

Edited by JJLehto - October 14 2013 at 08:23
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 08:30
That said, guess I should spare myself the bashing my head in, and just learn to ignore the closed minded.
aaaaaaaaaaanyway:

I have asked this before and my apologies if I missed an answer, I promise I'll actually read missed posts this time:
I assume many here are supporters of balancing the budget, or "austerity"
How do you guys feel about this despite the last few years? Where Euro countries have taken such measures and it's lead to stagnation and continued recession, and in countries with harsh austerity it's sent them back to the Great Depression.
Even in the US, what anemic growth we had appears to be slowing down, as some austerity measures started this year. Many of these countries have seen their government debts grow despite the contrary measures.

Thoughts? Reasons to prove this incorrect?

Edited by JJLehto - October 14 2013 at 08:32
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2013 at 09:03

Some solid reading right there: the Banality of Systematic Evil

Is that a Dream Theater song?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 257258259260261 294>