Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My New Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 37>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 14:16
Hi Steve i'd be very interested in your views/ review of this lp:

Ive just recieved my copy of this 'first time on vinyl' version of this bands output 1973-1977 and i just cant get over how good and contemporary it sounds considering when they recorded the material!! All the usual 'French prog' comparisons are trawled out but in my view it's not only incredibly eclectic but contemporary sounding.

CheersThumbs Up

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 14:43
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Ive just recieved my copy of this 'first time on vinyl' version of this bands output 1973-1977 and i just cant get over how good and contemporary it sounds considering when they recorded the material!! All the usual 'French prog' comparisons are trawled out but in my view it's not only incredibly eclectic but contemporary sounding.

CheersThumbs Up

Thanks, John. Added to the “wish list” to listen to this next few days.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2023 at 14:42
The hits just keep on coming at www.lazland.org

Tonight's new album review is a mighty fine instrumental band from Holland named Hackberry, who have released their new album, Breathing Space. Those of you who enjoy the heavier spectrum of prog will find much to enjoy in this.

I am hoping on Friday to publish reviews that take a break from prog and explore some folk rock, with a compilation from one of my favourite bands. I know the open minded amongst you will find much to enjoy. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2023 at 14:07
It is another triple header on www.lazland.org tonight.

When I opened and publicised this website, I described it as a (mainly) prog music review site. The (mainly) bit is important, because I deliberately wanted it to reflect my music tastes, which are quite wide ranging.

So, for the prog fans, there is a review of an impressive album from Capside, hailing from Sardinia, proof positive that RPI continues to weave its magic.

There is a review of a compilation album by one of my favourite bands of all time, Wigan folk rock collective, Merry Hell. There really is a huge amount to enjoy here and I have posted a number of videos and songs to demonstrate it.

Lastly, another folk rock album by Widnes singer songwriter, Jenny Colquitt. Fans of artists such as Judie Tzuke and Joni Mitchell will, I think, find much to enjoy here.

Lastly, this week's Video of the Week is TB4 intro, in case you have not heard or seen it.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2023 at 14:19

CheersThumbs Up

Hi John. I have this on for a second listen this evening. I agree with you that this is extremely fresh sounding, and I really like this.

The album was released on CD in 2009, and Raffaella actually added the band to PA not long after. The CD is the same as the "first time on vinyl" you have now, in that Frédéric Leoz reconstructed the songs from tapes made in the period referred to.

There is some great stuff on here, so I will be doing a review and adding it to my archival section of the website - we have our Ale Festival this weekend at the local, so it might be a couple of weeks until it is on, but I will post here when it is.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2023 at 05:32
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

CheersThumbs Up

Hi John. I have this on for a second listen this evening. I agree with you that this is extremely fresh sounding, and I really like this.

The album was released on CD in 2009, and Raffaella actually added the band to PA not long after. The CD is the same as the "first time on vinyl" you have now, in that Frédéric Leoz reconstructed the songs from tapes made in the period referred to.

There is some great stuff on here, so I will be doing a review and adding it to my archival section of the website - we have our Ale Festival this weekend at the local, so it might be a couple of weeks until it is on, but I will post here when it is.

Thanks Steve, yes i first came across them here by reading that review back around the time i first started visiting the site. I subscribe to updates on re-issues from Replica records and that was how i came by my vinyl copySmile. Really look forward to reading your review whenever you have time. Oh, if you ever get a chance do try 'Exmoor gold' from the Exmoor brewery here in Wiveliscombe, its my very favourite AleThumbs UpBeer cheers and enjoy the ale festival!

lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 24 2023 at 14:45
A bit later than usual, this owing to some pleasant family business, the first album review of this week is the new Yes effort, Mirror To The Sky. Simply click on the button on the homepage to take you to a review which might surprise some.

Video of the Week on the homepage is a live version of Mare by Dim Gray.

Ale of the Week has been updated as well - a Shropshire classic.

www.lazland.org - all you need for your cultural delectation! 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 29 2023 at 14:57
The first of this week's album reviews is a stunning release by bass master Jonas Hellborg, featuring the delicious talents of Ginger Baker and Bernie Worrell. The Concert of Europe is an album releasing tapes which had lain hidden for a number of years.

As ever, simply head off to my homepage and click on the album review button. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 06:24
Hi Steve! 

Thanks for the open minded review on the new Yes album. Writing off any artist because of past sins in never productive as you never know when they might come up with a winner. I too think that Mirror To The Sky is worth a listen for any old Yes fans, as they just might be as presently surprised as we are. The Hellberg concert is interesting and I'm going to do a few more investigations on this previously unknown, to me at least, bass meister. Cheers mate!

Edited by SteveG - May 30 2023 at 06:26
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 07:14
Cheers, Steve!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2023 at 14:35
And the hits just keep on coming! This evening, a review of the supremely talented artist, Ana Patan with her CD Spice, Gold, and Tales Untold has been posted, which I originally thought would be a companion piece to my review earlier this week of Jonas Hellborg The Concert of Europe but does, assuredly, absolutely stand up on its own two feet as a fantastic piece of work in its own right. Alongside Patan & Hellborg, there are guest appearances by Devin Townsend and Zoltan Csörsz. 

I am hoping to post a review of the new Pendragon EP and Paul Simon release next Monday, with some other treats to follow later in the week.

As ever, just go to my homepage at www.lazland.org and click on the buttons to view these and other musical & cultural delights.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 12:12
Very nice review on the new Paul Simon, Steve. I consider myself a seeker but still have no firm answers. Like you, I'm captivated by the religious history and theology of all faiths. I have the Seven Psalms on pre-order. Now, if it can just get here a little faster, as one never knows when they might suddenly pop off. Lol. Cheers.

Edited by SteveG - June 06 2023 at 12:13
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 12:53
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Very nice review on the new Paul Simon, Steve. I consider myself a seeker but still have no firm answers. Like you, I'm captivated by the religious history and theology of all faiths. I have the Seven Psalms on pre-order. Now, if it can just get here a little faster, as one never knows when they might suddenly pop off. Lol. Cheers.

Blimey, Steve, you were quick off the mark tonight, my friend! Not even announced on the forum! You are, indeed, a star visitor to my site Big smile

One hopes and prays you have a long time to go before the great popping off!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2023 at 13:00
As you will gather from the exchange of posts between Steve G & I above, tonight's update includes a review of Paul Simon's wonderful, and wonderfully unexpected, new work, Seven Pslams. Drink in the genius.

Also, a review of the new Pendragon EP, North Star, a great return from Nick and the boys (and girl!).

Video of the Week is a classic Paul Simon track, You Can Call Me Al, and there is a new Ale of the Week.

As ever, simply go to the homepage at www.lazland.org and click on the buttons for your cultural treats.

I am hoping to post a review of some avant Chilean music later this week. Also, being prepared are reviews for Emerald Dawn & Glen Brielle, which is the musical vehicle for Hugh Carter, he of Abel Ganz fame. New Karnataka is in the post as well.

Happy days with some superb music. 2023 is shaping up to be another cultural corker!

Edited by lazland - June 06 2023 at 13:02
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 12:47
The third album review of this week is something a little bit different, and no less enjoyable for that. It is a RIO act from Chile, Asceta, with their sophomore album, Erebus. Very good it is, too.

As usual, take yourselves orf to www.lazland.org and click on the button on the album reviews section of the homepage.

Whilst you are at it, why not explore all the other great stuff on offer? Music, literature, ale, and occasional other stuff.

I have also now decided to join the 21st Century and set up a dedicated Facebook page, and you can see this, follow this, like this, and do all sorts of "this" at Lazland on Facebook.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 13:42
^ If I want Rio I'll go the Brazil not Chile!

I am intrigued to see your coverage of a RIO (Rock in Opposition for those not in the know) band and will rock on over to your site without opposition.

Maybe one day I'll have the hops to make my own site. That would be the dream, especially if it involves drinking lots of ales at different pubs -- I do consider myself to be something of a beer connoisseur and have given contemptuous looks to many a Budweiser drinker. When I was a young adult (even younger than today) I was a bartender, but the selections of beers here have become so much better, or Bitters, since.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 14:21
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ If I want Rio I'll go the Brazil not Chile!

I am intrigued to see your coverage of a RIO (Rock in Opposition for those not in the know) band and will rock on over to your site without opposition.

Maybe one day I'll have the hops to make my own site. That would be the dream, especially if it involves drinking lots of ales at different pubs -- I do consider myself to be something of a beer connoisseur and have given contemptuous looks to many a Budweiser drinker. When I was a young adult (even younger than today) I was a bartender, but the selections of beers here have become so much better, or Bitters, since.

Her name kiis RIO, and she dances like a........LOL

I would love to see a site of yours. Setting mine up has been such a boon for me, especially with the opportunity to listen to stuff I would not normally have gone for before, and tonight's offering is a good example of that.

Budweiser ought to be against the law. To call it piss water would be to gravely insult said piss. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 14:53

I had a little website at one time (20 and more years ago), rather like a lesser version of the Onion (a very small cocktail onion sized website). It was partially to promote my petition to bring to Parliament the motion to build a giant pyramid of dung (made of human waste baked into bricks) on Parliament Hill as a monument to monumental waste, and to promote other types of waste management. And I just liked the idea of a giant crap outside Parliament. It was a project of an environmental movement (more of a brown one than a green one) I had started called the Bowel Movement. Unfortunately, that movement never became more than me, and no one signed the petition (got some funny comments out of it, at least). I figured all who joined could contribute to the pyramid (maybe even have their name on their own brick).   Sorry, I am waxing nostalgic. Such sweet memories despite the lack of success. I would have needed to push that movement harder to get any results.

"Budweiser ought to be against the law. To call it piss water would be to gravely insult said piss." I love that line.
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 15:17
^ Now that Bowel Movement if launched in 2023 would have attracted a lot of interest. You were way ahead of your time talking about waste management before Greta Thunberg was even a glint in her father's eye......
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2023 at 15:38
Yeah, and actually, my main thing was to limit plastic waste in various ways (had an idea for standardised recyclable and reusable packaging, and my wife is an engineer -- she keeps me in the green and out of the brown), but I thought having a funnier side-angle that is also serious issue would get people interested. People just couldn't see the bigger picture for the crap, so to speak, and I get way too easily discouraged. Oh well, I'm more a man of ideas (too often ridiculous) and less a man of action (need more fiber in my diet).

Been reading that Duran Duran review, I mean the RIO band, and very good write-up. Listened to some of Asceta, sounded like very classic RIO.

Edited by Logan - June 08 2023 at 15:46
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 37>