Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwhat's so special about...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 35>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2014 at 14:09
Originally posted by Billy Pilgrim Billy Pilgrim wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Not the biggest fan, I've always thought that Minstrel was the best from Jethro, I love that album. Agualung is alright, the title track is classic, Locomotive Breath hits hard, and Up To Me and Hymn 43 are good songs. Little bit too much filler in my opinion though.

Cross eyed Mary and mother goose classic too

Could never really get into those two Unhappy

Perhaps if you give "Cross Eyed Mary" a try from the "Live-Bursting out" album, and "Mogher Goose" from the re-recording from the 90's... I like both versions much better than the original ones.
Billy Pilgrim View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 05:02
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Not the biggest fan, I've always thought that Minstrel was the best from Jethro, I love that album. Agualung is alright, the title track is classic, Locomotive Breath hits hard, and Up To Me and Hymn 43 are good songs. Little bit too much filler in my opinion though.

Perhaps if you give "Cross Eyed Mary" a try from the "Live-Bursting out" album, and "Mogher Goose" from the re-recording from the 90's... I like both versions much better than the original ones.

I will give them a listen. i will hand it you that Tull had an energy live that's hard to match on the studio recordings, just in general.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 08:44
its PROG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 10:31
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

its PROG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
Everything here is prog, y'daft numpty.  Why is this special above and beyond most of the rest that's on PA?
rotten hound of the burnie crew
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2014 at 21:05

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I will give them a listen. i will hand it you that Tull had an energy live that's hard to match on the studio recordings, just in general.

Yeah, that's very true of Tull... but actually it is true of many bands. Usually you will find they can't have the same care for detail and production, but they make it up with raw energy and in many cases, extended instrumental sections that make the studio versions sound incomplete. Sometimes the songs work better on the studio, and sometimes live, but usually I'm more than happy to give different versions a try.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 04:22
What's so special about "Flying Teapot"?

Edited by Stool Man - February 17 2014 at 04:25
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 04:30
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

What's so special about "Flying Teapot"?

It has good compositions, it's eclectic, it has sense of humour.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 07:15
In the context of the Gong albums surrounding it, I think Flying Teapot is kind of mild and underwhelming.  But for someone who's never heard Gong before, I can imagine it's pretty frickin neat.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 07:31
It's more folky and less ambitious than, for instance, You.
But it's still pretty original, and for me also quite enjoyable.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2014 at 12:09
Hare Hare Supermarket...Hare Hare London Bus....
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 10:58
Originally when I was introduced to the music of Gong...I was more interested in the story, ( trilogy released on 3 Lp's), and the music grew on me over time while reading the lyrics. The domestic copy of YOU came with a lyric sheet and that gained my interest first. Flying Teapot I heard a year later and as a result ..felt that after hearing Angel's Egg and You for a lengthly period it struck me as being the weaker of the 3 ..but!..it was a light introduction to the trilogy. A smooth opening that was subtle at times. The Jazz mentality on Flying Teapot is very complex and with a attack of rage on their instruments like madmen who wanted to jam with John Coltrane. The musicians in Gong were impeccable and it scared some bands to death. They played some very tricky changes over a fast pace ..complex & bizzare time signature with a wild attack and they were so out of control regarding the measures they took to break levels...to experiment and to improve consistently. Flying Teapot was a soft and gentle introduction to the trilogy , but pages away from the introduction to the real story. There was at least a thousand pages written about the story of the "Planet Gong" before entering the chapter of "Flying Teapot".  I like Continental Circus and if you don't ...you may have difficulty digesting Flying Teapot. Magic Brother, Mystic Sister , Camberet Electique, Continental Circus and Flying Teapot are a dividing point which is distant from the music on Angel's Egg and You. The early Gong had elements later used in 1973 on Angel's Egg...but the sound leading up to Angel's Egg was part of the band's development to reach that later peak. It wasn't all about a bunch of musicians sitting in the studio and just recording something off the top of their heads...because Gong were tightly structured and it took rehearsing constantly to produce that into a killer sound which invoked people to see the concerts. They were very theatrical and the Jazz side to their music seemed fitting to back a story or a concept during live transmission. The light show and the members of the band who do storytelling and recite poetry are constantly transforming around/into characters of the story.
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2014 at 20:18
Flying teapot is pretty crappy I thought. Gong became good with You

Edited by dr prog - February 18 2014 at 21:01
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 04:34
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Originally when I was introduced to the music of Gong...I was more interested in the story, ( trilogy released on 3 Lp's), and the music grew on me over time while reading the lyrics. The domestic copy of YOU came with a lyric sheet and that gained my interest first. Flying Teapot I heard a year later and as a result ..felt that after hearing Angel's Egg and You for a lengthly period it struck me as being the weaker of the 3 ..but!..it was a light introduction to the trilogy. A smooth opening that was subtle at times. The Jazz mentality on Flying Teapot is very complex and with a attack of rage on their instruments like madmen who wanted to jam with John Coltrane. The musicians in Gong were impeccable and it scared some bands to death. They played some very tricky changes over a fast pace ..complex & bizzare time signature with a wild attack and they were so out of control regarding the measures they took to break levels...to experiment and to improve consistently. Flying Teapot was a soft and gentle introduction to the trilogy , but pages away from the introduction to the real story. There was at least a thousand pages written about the story of the "Planet Gong" before entering the chapter of "Flying Teapot".  I like Continental Circus and if you don't ...you may have difficulty digesting Flying Teapot. Magic Brother, Mystic Sister , Camberet Electique, Continental Circus and Flying Teapot are a dividing point which is distant from the music on Angel's Egg and You. The early Gong had elements later used in 1973 on Angel's Egg...but the sound leading up to Angel's Egg was part of the band's development to reach that later peak. It wasn't all about a bunch of musicians sitting in the studio and just recording something off the top of their heads...because Gong were tightly structured and it took rehearsing constantly to produce that into a killer sound which invoked people to see the concerts. They were very theatrical and the Jazz side to their music seemed fitting to back a story or a concept during live transmission. The light show and the members of the band who do storytelling and recite poetry are constantly transforming around/into characters of the story.
Thankyou for this great post, this is exactly what's needed in this topic every week for every album.  Gives newcomers some actual info on what makes the album something they'd want to spend time and money on. Thumbs Up
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2014 at 04:46
Flying Teapot is probably my favourite Gong album (crossed with You). Nothing incredible, but nice for a change once in a while. Love the psychedelic stuff in it, overall pretty unique. It also begins that Radio Gnome Invisible story line, so it's quite important. 

I wouldn't call it particularly special, but still a great album Smile
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 04:37
What's so special about "Arbeit Macht Frei"?
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2014 at 04:49
Arbeit Macht Frei is totally different from any other Italian album released before. It was new, fresh, experimental, intense and featuring a bunch of excellent musicians plus the incredible voice of Demetrio Stratos.
The lyrics are strongly politically oriented, much more than everything Roger Waters can have written,think just to the poetry in arabic which introduces "Luglio Agosto, Settembre Nero" which refers to a Palestinian organisation seen as revolutionary, not as terrorist. Apparently a contradiction with the album's title which is the sentence written at the entrance of Auschwitz. Not a contradiction,really. Just read the lyrics translations and everything will be clear.

Last but not least, the mixture of cold jazz, ethnic music and rock which make them more suitable for RIO than for RPI as they are currently on PA. I'm grown up in Italy in the 70s and this is one of the most fundamental albums of that period in this country. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 05:13
What's so special about "Hatfield And The North"?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 08:37

What's so special about "Arbeit Macht Frei"?
Gesundheit......

Big smile..
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 08:38

What's so special about "Hatfield And The North"?
Everything..........period.

Cool
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2014 at 10:45
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

Arbeit Macht Frei is totally different from any other Italian album released before. It was new, fresh, experimental, intense and featuring a bunch of excellent musicians plus the incredible voice of Demetrio Stratos.
The lyrics are strongly politically oriented, much more than everything Roger Waters can have written,think just to the poetry in arabic which introduces "Luglio Agosto, Settembre Nero" which refers to a Palestinian organisation seen as revolutionary, not as terrorist. Apparently a contradiction with the album's title which is the sentence written at the entrance of Auschwitz. Not a contradiction,really. Just read the lyrics translations and everything will be clear.

Last but not least, the mixture of cold jazz, ethnic music and rock which make them more suitable for RIO than for RPI as they are currently on PA. I'm grown up in Italy in the 70s and this is one of the most fundamental albums of that period in this country. 

I am not too fond of the title (even if it is meant ironically) due to the connotation this slogan has. It was above the portal of several Nazi concentration camps, including the infamous Auschwitz, and it could lead to misunderstanding.

Edited by BaldFriede - March 03 2014 at 10:45

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2425262728 35>