Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 263264265266267 527>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 16:11
Well I am still binging on IQ's EVER 25TH Ann boxset. 

Every single part of this 3 disc set brings a giant smile to my face. Skingasms all around! )
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 19:14
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

How is that The Knife album Steve? I only have Shaking the Habitual which I love.

Very poppy and catchy, with lots of humor. Different from Shaking the Habitual, but lots of fun. I can definitely see you partying to it.

Edited by HolyMoly - October 12 2018 at 19:16
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2018 at 23:55
Sun City Girls | Valentines from Matahari
Frank Zappa | Mystery Disc
Swans | Soundtracks for the Blind
Oregon | Out of the Woods
Oregon | Friends
Soft Machine | Fourth
Monty Python | Sings!

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2018 at 22:35
Wire | 154
Wire | Pink Flag
Wire | The Ideal Copy
Sonic Youth | Daydream Nation
Soft Machine | 7
Godley & Creme | L
Nine Inch Nails | Bad Witch
The Monks of Doom | What’s Left for Kicks?
Fugazi | 13 Songs
Fugazi | Repeater

-Kehlog Albran
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 09:21
Yesterday

ELP - s/t  (amazing debut)
Jacula - Tardo....
Miles Davis - On the Corner
Bloodrock - s/t  (such memories from youth, Melvin Laid an Egg, what can I say)

Then on evening TV (both brought a tear to the eye):
George Harrison & Paul Simon together on an old rerun of 70s SNL  (Here Comes the Sun, Homeward Bound, & Crackerbox Palace)
John Prine - Live on Austin City Limits (2018)
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 10:40
^

I saw it too, Jim. Couldn't believe the network actually showed the Crackerbox video.  It was kinda surreal seeing that on prime time network tv in 2018.  It would have been super easy for them to snip that 4 minutes and pack in another $$$ of commercials instead.
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 10:59
Last few days:

Dean Blunt & Inga Copeland - Black is Beautiful
Dean Blunt - The Narcissist II
$uicideboy$ - The Dark Side of the Clouds
Oneohtrix Point Never - Betrayed in the Octagon
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 11:23
i noticed Captcha creeps way more if you try and quote someone .

So. Holymoly. What did you think of Bad Witch? 

Today .a lazy sunday. 

IQ-- 7 stories into 8 .( barbell is definitely In with me. )
IQ-- Ever (live at the colos sal, germany 2018) 
Nick cave-- skeleton tree 
Duran duran-- Rio 
Black Sabbath-- Paranoid 
Rammstien-- Rosenrot ( my girlfriend laughs at this one repeatedly. Cannot handle the german lyrics .lol )
Supertramp--Fools overture . ( my god. Best fidelity here  For today .)
Iq-- Ever ( 2018 remix. Not butchered here fellas! A great listen through and through)
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2018 at 17:24
@progbethyname
Bad Witch is really good. My only complaint is that it’s too short. Hopefully it’s a preview of a more major work to come. Very experimental and even jazzy in spots. Weirdly cool.

Today:

Magma | Bruxelles 1971
The Cure | Faith (deluxe ed.)
Grateful Dead | One From the Vault ( live 1975)
Ariel Pink Nymphposting | Worn Copies : a Tribute to Ariel Pink
Gino Vannelli | Brother to Brother
Gary War | New Raytheonport
GASP | Ghost in Scow Out
Guerilla Toss | GT Ultra
Steve Miller Band | Anthology (orig 60s band)
Michael Hoenig | Departure from the Northern Wasteland

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 10:05
@Mr. Moly. )

I liked Bad Witch. It was like Hesitation Marks from my listening experience...very quarky side of reznor sonic musings. I enjoyed the EP . I would say that the ADD VIOLENCE EP was the best of the 3 released in the past 4 years. Although i absolutely hate the recordings . CDs are compressed to hell . I guess Trent and Alan Moulder have gone def . lol. 

Today .

Iq-- Ever (2018 remix) I cannot put this one down .
New Order-- Brotherhood 
Zimmer & Wallfisch -- Bladerunner 2049

Not much time today but i am grateful to have spun these . :)
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 18:16
Il Gira Strana
The Runaways
BOC - Secret Treaties
Buckingham Nicks
Yes - CTTE
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 18:49
@pbtname

I’m sort of new to NiN (though I heard Pretty Hate Machine and Downward Spiral when they were new, though I wasn’t really into it at the time), so it’s good to hear that other recent releases are also worth checking out. The most recent one I have before Bad Witch is Year Zero.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 18:53
The Yardbirds | Shapes of Things: The Best of the Yardbirds
White Suns | Totem
Firesign Theatre | Give Me Immortality or Give Me Death
James Ferraro | Night Dolls With Hairspray
Viet Cong | s/t
Tim Hecker | Virgins
Ariel Pink | Dedicated to Bobby Jameson
The Brian Jonestown Massacre | Spacegirl and Other Favorites

Edited by HolyMoly - October 15 2018 at 19:41

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2018 at 19:59
BOC - Fire of Unknown Origin: "Don't Turn Your Back" has such a cool prog-like shuffle going on, sort of spacey too, just wonderful. Then that "He just might blow and spoil the show" line comes in and throws me off. I just gotta laugh every time.

Behemoth - I Loved You at Your Darkest: Yep, blackened death metal, but for this album they went in a strange direction. Rock star caliber solos and melodic passages that seem influenced by heavy goth stuff, like they were listening to Killing Joke and Fields of the Nephilm when they wrote this stuff and it seeped into the songs a bit. Weird.

Zeb & Haniya - Chup: Two women in Pakistan composing and singing rather pleasant jazzy pop rock with some traditional folk influences at times. The title track is real catchy. For all the dangerous stuff going on in that region, there's a lot of rock fans and excellent musicians. Good old rock and roll can still be rebellious. 

The Sisters of Mercy - First and Last and Always: As a longtime fan of goth rock, it's a bit of a heresy to state this but I could never really get into this group outside of a couple of songs (such as "Marian" of this album). Considering my general taste, I should like them, but they're a bit dancy and samey for me I guess...I don't know.

Mika Nakashima - The End: Because sometimes I just want to hear that voice, well except for her hilarious parody of Sid Vicious concerning her "My Way" cover. I get that it's supposed to be a goofy lark, but once the novelty wears off I'm glad it's the last tune so I can stop the album before it starts. It is kinda fun sometimes though. Thought Sid's was nuts, add major Engrish with a female voice to it.

Edited by Prog Sothoth - October 15 2018 at 20:00
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 05:17
Yesterday

Cervello - Melos (just one of the finest RPI albums per my tastes)
Franco Battiato - Clíc (beautiful and wafting - like watching a snowflake caught in an updraft)
Tangerine Dream - Quichotte (brilliant live album from the second/third incarnation of the band)
Steven Wilson - Insurgents (still my fave of his...maybe its the 80s influences?)
Stomu Yamashta - Red Buddha (Klaus Schulze music performed wholly on acoustic percussion)
Alan Goraguer - La Planete Sauvage
The Orb - most recent
Hatfield & The North - The Rotters’ Club
The Knife - Shaking The Habitual (I’ll make sure to check out the other because this one really hit home yesterday)
The Voidz - Virtue
Cromagnon - Orgasm
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 20:10
Wow, great selection, David. Hard to know where to start.
Re the Knife album, it’s interesting how I bought that album (Shaking) on a whim a couple of years ago based on 2 factors only: a) it was a double Cd with interesting packaging, and b) I remembered hearing about the band in the Shred a couple years prior (Polymorphia, i believe) and had seen part of a video which wasn’t really my thing but definitely weird enough to grab my attention.

I bought it and was puzzled, but I couldn’t stop listening to it. Like Ariel did years before, it opened my tastes up to new sounds. I now consider it an all- time favorite (top 25? 50? Not sure)

Anyway, enough about me, here’s the short list of what I heard today:

Tim Hecker | Ravedeath 1972
Richard Pryor | Is it Something I Said?
Plan 9 | Keep Yr Cool and Read the Rules
The Residents | Intermission

Edited by HolyMoly - October 16 2018 at 20:13

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2018 at 20:16
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

BOC - Fire of Unknown Origin: "Don't Turn Your Back" has such a cool prog-like shuffle going on, sort of spacey too, just wonderful. Then that "He just might blow and spoil the show" line comes in and throws me off. I just gotta laugh every time.
Don’t Turn Your Back is one of my favorites from that record. Hadn’t considered the myriad interpretations of “he just might blow” but thanks for adding that extra little wrinkle for my amusement. (Though I always heard the rest of the line as “...after the show” which is now even funnier).

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 00:19
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Wow, great selection, David. Hard to know where to start.
Re the Knife album, it’s interesting how I bought that album (Shaking) on a whim a couple of years ago based on 2 factors only: a) it was a double Cd with interesting packaging, and b) I remembered hearing about the band in the Shred a couple years prior (Polymorphia, i believe) and had seen part of a video which wasn’t really my thing but definitely weird enough to grab my attention.

I bought it and was puzzled, but I couldn’t stop listening to it. Like Ariel did years before, it opened my tastes up to new sounds. I now consider it an all- time favorite (top 25? 50? Not sure)

Anyway, enough about me, here’s the short list of what I heard today:

Tim Hecker | Ravedeath 1972
Richard Pryor | Is it Something I Said?
Plan 9 | Keep Yr Cool and Read the Rules
The Residents | Intermission

Yeah Tony has a wicked cool taste in contemporary music styles. I too have found a fair few nuggets amongst his recs.
Funny how so much music almost changes character within the first couple of spins going from ‘WTF?’ to ‘oh my darling’ in the course of a fortnight....well some times things take longer to marinade but the end result is always extremely interesting to me in that I found some new music that I wouldn’t have touched with a ten foot pole earlier on.

A somewhat odd day of music there for you btw Or yeah erm it’s called being eclectic. The Residents and Richard Pryor on the same day has to be one of the best combos I’ve seen in a while.

Yesterday:
Perry Leopold - Christian Lucifer (why this beautiful gem keeps getting overlooked is beyond me. Such an easy album to enjoy)
Dzyan - Mandala (first spin in years (a decade???) and I’d forgotten how awesome this raw mix of eastern vibes and krauty fusion sounds)
Ochre - A Midsummer Nice Dream (chillout IDM with crystal clear PING and DING and BDONG sounds that have a way of tickling the brain in the most wonderful way. Some times they make me sneeze...in a good nose-orgasm manner)
Sun Ra - Space Is The Place
Björn J:Son Lindh - Från Storstad Til Grodspad
Derek & The Dominoes - Live at the Filmore
Lou Reed - Transformer
Walrus - s/t (fans of the Morte Macabre album should dig this big time)
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 00:28
That Walrus album is a cracker, Dave...My only regret in this instance is that I bought it on CD and not LP!

Nice day today:

Eloy – Floating
Eloy – Power and the Passion
Atomic Rooster – Heavy Soul (compilation)
Zior – s/t
Fuchsia – s/t
Asgard – Tradition & Renouveau
Casa das Maquinas – Lar de Maravilhas
Nosferatu – s/t
Ram – Where (In Conclusion)
Morse Code – Le Marche des Hommes
Satin Whale – Lost Mankind
Arena – Pepper’s Ghost

Hope everyone is well

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - October 17 2018 at 00:29
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2018 at 00:34
Ahh you too
The LP sickness is spreding like wildfires these days! I understand completely! I also have the cd
Nice undergrund selection btw. Satin Whale eh? Wonderful debut album but man that name
How about Cotton Dolphin or Silk Squid instead?

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 263264265266267 527>