Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Shed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2009 at 13:15
Got a big problem with wasps around our railway already this year.  I've had to deal with four big nests in public areas and it's only the start of July.  Thunderflies thankfully few thus far but I expect we'll get some on a humid day in the near future.
When people get lost in thought it's often because it's unfamiliar territory.
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2009 at 16:26
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

^ the railway station in Midland Road Bedford proudly displayed itself as Brititish Rail, Bedford in 3-foot high letters for a while in the 80s until some spoilsport pointed out the error.
Then there was the famous BR timetable which included an unfortunate typo for Knutsford...
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2009 at 17:40
^

There's a Fiat Convertible on Ebay at the moment where the guy who's selling (and I quote) declares:

I am spooking Polish, Russian and English.

There's not the ghost of a chance of me buying it...

Oh quick edit - when Star Wars first came out some wags rearranged the magnetic letters at our local Odeon to read: ARS WARTS

Edited by el dingo - July 14 2009 at 17:43
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 02:16
Originally posted by el dingo el dingo wrote:

when Star Wars first came out some wags rearranged the magnetic letters at our local Odeon to read: ARS WARTS

Wonderful

Originally posted by Neil Neil wrote:

Got a big problem with wasps around our railway already this year.  I've had to deal with four big nests in public areas and it's only the start of July.  Thunderflies thankfully few thus far but I expect we'll get some on a humid day in the near future.

So far, we've not seen too many wasps in this area (or thunderflies - annoying little s), but you can guarantee that if the sun comes out at Cropredy this year, we'll be plagued as usual...

Before then, I know much of my blood is to be drained in the next 2 weeks by Newfoundlander mosquitoes; they don't just bite & bugger off, they carry petrol cans & syphon a few litres for later on.

Usual precaution then - big can of Nfld's finest deterrent, aptly named "OFF!" - which is pretty close to what you say when bitten

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 02:26
Dead shed alert!

Oh! frabjous joy.

Last night whilst I was perusing PAs I heard one almighty bang.I looked out of the window and saw two cars parked half way through my garden fence and partly in my garden.
My shed was knocked off of it's footings and is presently standing at a jaunty angle. Thankfully nobody was serouosly hurt.

The driver of one of the cars,said that she did not see the give way sign at the end of the road and drove merrily into the side of a passing car,sending both vehicles through my fence.If it hadn't been for the concrete footings and concrete fence posts they could have ploughed onward and into the house.

So.Today is a round of damage limitation and long drawn out discussions with our insurance companies.

'Joy,joy.Oh,frabjous joy'.

Edited by Man Erg - July 15 2009 at 02:31

Do 'The Stanley' otherwise I'll thrash you with some rhubarb.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 02:33
oh Lee, sorry, stressful I'm sure..do you live in a rural or urban area?

Edited by Atavachron - July 15 2009 at 02:33
el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 02:34
^

Jeez, that could have been real nasty. On the bright side, does that mean you can get a BRAND NEW SHED on the insurance????

Perhaps we should all help you choose itTongue

Edited by el dingo - July 15 2009 at 02:36
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 02:42

I should have shed that

Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 02:54
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

oh Lee, sorry, stressful I'm sure..do you live in a rural or urban area?

Sorry to sound awkward,David. I live in the suburbs.

About a quarter of a mile a way there is a set of traffic lights with filter lanes.To avoid this,many drivers use our road as a 'rat run'. to get onto the A30 road which is the main road towards the West Country.

We live at the end of the 'rat run' on the corner of a cross road.

There have been many incidents over the passed 10 years including one near fatality.Surrey County Council refuse to listen to residents appeals for traffic calming measures.Bl**dy wealthy councils!!!

Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 02:56

^

Jeez, that could have been real nasty. On the bright side, does that mean you can get a BRAND NEW SHED on the insurance????

That would be a brilliant idea.It was lucky that none of my beers were stored in there at the time.I finished off the last bottle of Samuel Smiths' IPA just last Saturday.

Unfortunately,we have to replace everything like-for-like otherwise I could be in contention for next years Shed of the Year award.

Edited by Man Erg - July 15 2009 at 03:06

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 03:06
Originally posted by Man Erg Man Erg wrote:

Last night whilst I was perusing PAs I heard one almighty bang.I looked out of the window and saw two cars parked half way through my garden fence and partly in my garden. My shed was knocked off of it's footings and is presently standing at a jaunty angle.

Remember Lee - 'where there's blame, there's a claim' - I'm sure your shed could call one of these ambulance chasing companies & put in a claim for injury & distress on a no win no fee basis.

You could end up with a very rich shed indeed

Seriously though - glad the wits didn't continue through the garden to your house.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 03:12
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Last night whilst I was perusing PAs I heard one almighty bang.I looked out of the window and saw two cars parked half way through my garden fence and partly in my garden. My shed was knocked off of it's footings and is presently standing at a jaunty angle.

Remember Lee - 'where there's blame, there's a claim' - I'm sure your shed could call one of these ambulance chasing companies & put in a claim for injury & distress on a no win no fee basis.

You could end up with a very rich shed indeed

Seriously though - glad the wits didn't continue through the garden to your house.

Cheers,Jim.

There was an ambulence chaser at the scene yesterday evening no longer than an hour after the incident!

Apprently, the police said that he must have picked up a call for one of the recovery companies on one of the drivers insurance!

el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 03:13
^

I'm hardly one to encourage sharp practise old boy, but when it comes to the jolly old claim form I'm quite prepared to sign an affadavit to the effect that you had six cases of rare vintage Moet in your shed and you are such a keen recycler that you had to immediately clear all the glass up and take it directly to the bottle bank before this season's hedehogs cut their poor little toeses on the broken shards.

Jeez, we pay enough on premiumsAngry

(Quits forum before starting a rant against the British insurance industry)
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 03:23
Here's a couple of pictures of the accident.

My poor compost!

mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 03:31

Dead shed alert!

Oh! frabjous joy.

Last night whilst I was perusing PAs I heard one almighty bang.I looked out of the window and saw two cars parked half way through my garden fence and partly in my garden.
My shed was knocked off of it's footings and is presently standing at a jaunty angle. Thankfully nobody was serouosly hurt.

The driver of one of the cars,said that she did not see the give way sign at the end of the road and drove merrily into the side of a passing car,sending both vehicles through my fence.If it hadn't been for the concrete footings and concrete fence posts they could have ploughed onward and into the house.

So.Today is a round of damage limitation and long drawn out discussions with our insurance companies.

'Joy,joy.Oh,frabjous joy'.

good luck with the claim, Lee, hope there are witnesses or driver will admit liability.

I had an unfortunate accident in April, here's what happened..

i park in a sort of parallel side street/layby by an exit to drop my mum off at the bank, the car in front drives off leaving a space, i restart my engine, move forward, stop engine..  the car that just left reverses backwards smashing my o/s headlight ....driver apologises and admits liability, i take her address and reg. no.

i report the incident to my insurance, they  arrange for repair of my car and courtesy car until....garage reports car not worth fixing (£250 to replace a headlight..?)  and i collect car and return courtesy car Cry

other driver has reported i bashed into her while she was leaving parking space..Ouch

LIAR!!!

...no witnesses  Cry

i have to replace my headlight myself (£50) and according to insurance co. re-mot vehicle (another £50) then receive cheque for £100, my £100 excess gone.

result?  each driver to pay 50/50 as there are no witnesses, hope i don't lose my 8 years no claims...Ermm

so - if someone hits your car it is your word against theirs, if there are no independent witnesses you dont have a case...even if they admit liability at the scene.

Prog Archives Tour Van
el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 03:32
Re pics: They say sh*t happens... that looks like some serious sh*t. It might just be my innate prejudice, but i somehow had a feeling a 4x4 would be involved somewhere along the line.

Edited by el dingo - July 15 2009 at 03:34
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 03:36
^ last time something like that happened to me I didn't think to take a bloody photograph of the scene. Ouch I had three camera's with me at the time Embarrassed
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 03:37
jeez Louise, it's exactly how I pictured it, indeed lucky no one was hurt
Man Erg View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 03:39
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

good luck with the claim, Lee, hope there are witnesses or driver will admit liability.

Sorry to hear about that,Steve. Bar-stewards!

The last time that something similar happened to us,the driver was driving her partner's car and wasn't on his insurance.

We had about 6 witnesses and the driver admitted responsiblity.

She said that she did not see the give way sign.She did not know the area.She was going to have a fitting for a new dress....Her dress maker lives at the end of our road.Suffice to say,whilst she was waiting for her car to be recovered,she went for her fitting!

Edited by Man Erg - July 15 2009 at 03:44

el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2009 at 03:42
^

Don't remember smashing my motor when I went to be fitted for a Sabbath T-shirt in a strange town... but then again Mrs Dingo's going shopping in the car today while I'm at work, so...Shocked

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268>