Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 266267268269270 527>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 19:57
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

^Love Garcia album...Bob's solo album ain't bad either....and those early Stripes are cool too.
it was my first time hearing the Garcia album. Knew most of the songs from Dead shows but the album had a neat vibe to it. Jerry did all the instruments besides the drums, and there was also that weird avant garde bit in the 2nd half. Excellent album overall.
White Stripes is a band I’ve always sort of liked from afar, but I just decided to buy some albums (1st 2 for starters), and listened to De Stijl all the way through and was very impressed. Crafty songs, great guitar work and singing, and pretty good pacing on the album. I look forward to getting more.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 20:50
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

a lovely day with Mr .Headphones .

IQ-- Ever ( Live in Aschafenburg, Germany 2018)
Depeche Mode-- 101 Disc B only. 
Toto-- 4
DIO-- Last In Line
IQ-- On The Road of Bones (Live)

Good pick!  I was at the local show on the Last in Line tour, many moons ago.  Viv Campbell was just awesome and Ronnie was so enthusiastic.  Great fun.  Saw him at least two other times back then, but I think the Last in Line tour was my fave.  

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2018 at 20:58
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

^Love Garcia album...Bob's solo album ain't bad either....and those early Stripes are cool too.
it was my first time hearing the Garcia album. Knew most of the songs from Dead shows but the album had a neat vibe to it. Jerry did all the instruments besides the drums, and there was also that weird avant garde bit in the 2nd half. Excellent album overall.
White Stripes is a band I’ve always sort of liked from afar, but I just decided to buy some albums (1st 2 for starters), and listened to De Stijl all the way through and was very impressed. Crafty songs, great guitar work and singing, and pretty good pacing on the album. I look forward to getting more.

I got into White Blood Cells first and then went backward.  Don't think I ever bought the ones after WBC though.  I like them, but more as an occasional spin.  Might have had Elephant I believe it was called, for a while, but didn't keep it for long so it must have not sunk in.

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 02:31
Testing for Katja
Yesterday:
Alan Goraguer - La Planete Sauvage
Phideaux - Infernal
Gösta Berlings Saga - Sersophane
The Orb - COW/Chill Out World!
Osanna - Palepoli
Premiata Forneria Marconi - L’Isola Di Niente
Tony Wiliams Lifetime - Emergency
Swans - The Seer (cd 1)
King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard - Polygondwanaland
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 07:46

^
okay, you just made me want to hear RAM again...
Oh you should, that "Ram On"-"Dear Boy" twosome is such a gorgeous run. Listening to Band on the Run last night, I'm thinking Ram is my fav Paul album, but I gotta give Venus & Mars a spin...been over two decades since I listened to that one but I remember liking it. 
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 10:50
Dutch Thursday:
Finch - Beyond Expression
Focus - 3
Supersister - Present From Nancy

New music Friday:
Anaquim - O Quarto de Anaquim
Haken - Vector
Best Youth - Cherry Domino
Mildlife - Phase
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 11:26
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

^
okay, you just made me want to hear RAM again...

Oh you should, that "Ram On"-"Dear Boy" twosome is such a gorgeous run. Listening to Band on the Run last night, I'm thinking Ram is my fav Paul album, but I gotta give Venus & Mars a spin...been over two decades since I listened to that one but I remember liking it. 
Venus and Mars and Wings Greatest were the first 2 records in my collection. Not counting all the records I listened to that belonged to my dad. So Venus & Mars is as familiar to me as my own family. “Love in Song” is one of my favorite Paul McC songs ever.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 17:24

Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Venus and Mars and Wings Greatest were the first 2 records in my collection. Not counting all the records I listened to that belonged to my dad. So Venus & Mars is as familiar to me as my own family. “Love in Song” is one of my favorite Paul McC songs ever.
Funny in that Wings at the Speed of Sound was my first non-Beatles album purchase, as well as my first "used-album" purchase. I never owned Venus & Mars (I borrowed my cousin's copy for months) but I did have Wings Greatest and even hung up the poster in my room.

So listening to V&M today, I gotta say that "Love in Song" is awesome, how I don't remember it so well I can't even guess, though I did love "Rock Show" when I was young and it hasn't really aged as well. The other doozy of a number I re-discovered is "Letting Go". Cool guitar riff and a super cool vibe, considering it's Wings.

Also:
Wings - Band on the Run: Unlike Venus & Mars, it's the more well-known songs that are rad (title track, "Jet", "1985", "Let Me Roll It" even if it's too long, and especially the kickin' "Helen Wheels"). I'm pretty sure I've heard "Bluebird" on the radio back in the day too, but it's really only that "bluebird bluebird aha" part that I dig. And yeah...Ram remains my fav Paul album for now.

John Lennon - Mind Games: Man that title track! So good. I also like the rocky "Meat City" and the protesty number "Bring on the Lucie". In fact, all of side 1 would have been dope if it wasn't for "One Day (at a Time)". What a cringy falsetto horror.

Yoko Ono - Approximate Infinite Universe: Lots of songs, and she sings in them. Sings some pretty blunt lyrics actually. They get a bit cringe on some of the ballads, but at least that and her wobbly croon keeps the songs from being bland pop. The rockers are often cool though. "Kite Song" and the title track has rockin' guitars, "What Did I Do" is so groovy, and "Move on Fast" is, I swear, late 70's post-punk that somehow came out in '73.

I need to check out JL's Walls and Bridges next....oh, and that Ringo album with other Beatles joining in and a couple of hits too.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 21:14
Sly/Fam Stone | There’s a Riot Goin’ On
Sly/Fam Stone | Fresh
Sly/Fam Stone | Live @ the Fillmore Oct 4-5 1968 (Show 1)
Quickspace | Precious Falling
The White Stripes | s/t
Bob Dylan | Highway 61 Revisited
Bob Dylan | Bringing it all Back Home
Elton John | Greatest Hits 1970-2002
Blue Sign Factory | What We Will Bring on Our Camping Trip
Camel | Stationary Traveler
Magma | Bobino 1981

Edited by HolyMoly - October 27 2018 at 07:38

-Kehlog Albran
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 17:13

a lovely day with Mr .Headphones .

IQ-- Ever ( Live in Aschafenburg, Germany 2018)
Depeche Mode-- 101 Disc B only. 
Toto-- 4
DIO-- Last In Line
IQ-- On The Road of Bones (Live)

Good pick!  I was at the local show on the Last in Line tour, many moons ago.  Viv Campbell was just awesome and Ronnie was so enthusiastic.  Great fun.  Saw him at least two other times back then, but I think the Last in Line tour was my fave.  

Why thank you.
I just love the power in Ronnie's vocals most of all. It is a very warm recording and of course, as you said, Campbell's guitar absolutely slays.
Egypt (the chains are on) is my favourite track.
Cannot get enough of that one.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 17:19
A killer day with Mr. Headphones

APP-- Tales of Mystery & Imagination. (1987 remix first edition.)
Metallica-- Master of Puppets (2017 remaster. Yes. This remaster is actually far better than the original. All that bitey treble is gone. )
Arena-- Immortal? ( the last truly great Arena recording fidelity wise. )
Depeche mode-- Personal Jesus (maxi Single. )
Leonard Coen-- Live in Dublin (2013)
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 17:27

Metallica-- Master of Puppets (2017 remaster. Yes. This remaster is actually far better than the original. All that bitey treble is gone. )
Good to know about Master of Puppets! It’s my favorite Metallica album but I’ve had the same old copy for years. If I upgrade one M album, that’ll be it.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 17:30
Thrilled Skinny | They Said We Wouldn’t But We Did
The Who | Tommy
ZZ Top | Rio Grande Mud
The Idles | Joy as an Act of Resistance
Can | Ege Bamyasi
Can | Tago Mago
Amen Dunes | Through Monkey Jaw
Lene Lovich | Stateless

Edited by HolyMoly - October 27 2018 at 19:29

-Kehlog Albran
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 18:28

Good to know about Master of Puppets! It’s my favorite Metallica album but I’ve had the same old copy for years. If I upgrade one M album, that’ll be it.

Absolutely a great buy! You will love it. Cliff Burton's bass is more audible . You hear his clunking riffs far easier because the remaster has tamed the the low end distortion sound of both guitars .
Enjoy it .I love it. 
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 20:04
Tonight

PFM - Storia di un Minuto
London Philharmonic Orchestra - Kashmir: The Symphonic Led Zeppelin
Brian Auger - Auger Rhythms: Brian Auger's Musical History (discs 1 & 2)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 15:26
A quiet meditative journey .

Tangerine Dream-- Rubycon
Dead Can Dance--  In Concert (2012)
The Orb-- UFO
Klaus Schulze-- Marage. 
Vangelis-- The City 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 05:19
Great sunday full of music!

The Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya Ya's Out!
Dzyan - Electric Silence
Marvin Gaye - What's Goin' On?
Osanna - Palepoli
Animal Collective - Strawberry Jam
Geinoh Yamashirogumi - Osorezan
Düreforsög - Knee
A.A.L. - 2012-2017
Gösta Berlings Saga - Et Ex
Il Volo - s/t
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 05:29
^^ Nice! Thumbs Up

^ What did you think of the new GBS?

This weekend:
Dream Theater - Images & Words
Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
Lena d'Água - Lusitânia
The Cars - The Cars
Zone Siz - Zone Six
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 05:37
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Dream Theater - Images & Words

Hmm, did you get through more than twenty minutes of that DT album, mate? I don't recall the last time (or ever?!) that I've ever made it through that entire album!

Mostly a Neo-Prog day:

IQ – The Wake
Jadis – More Than Meets the Eye
Marillion – Misplaced Childhood
Nice Beaver – On Dry Land
Grey Lady Down – Forces
Pendragon – The Masquerade Overture

Arena – Double Vision
Glass Hammer – Chronomonaut

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - October 29 2018 at 05:38
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 06:20
^ I heard the whole thing, I took a break on the fourth track but not because I was bored. This time I actually found the snare drum sound more annoying than LaBrie's voice Confused
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 266267268269270 527>