Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 267268269270271 527>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 07:08

Ahh, I always found it was LaBrie's voice on that one that was my undoing with it, so shrieking in parts. He's still not my favourite singer, but you can really tell how he learned to tone things down on the later albums (say, from `Scenes From a Memory') moving onwards, became a much better singer because of it too.

That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask...it's not just my imagination that every few weeks DT's `The Astonishing' pops back up on the `Most Popular Album of the Last 24 Hours' section on the front page of the Archives, right?! It's some kind of glitch, I assume?!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 07:24
Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

That reminds me, I've been meaning to ask...it's not just my imagination that every few weeks DT's `The Astonishing' pops back up on the `Most Popular Album of the Last 24 Hours' section on the front page of the Archives, right?! It's some kind of glitch, I assume?!

LOL
I don't know how the`Most Popular Album of the Last 24 Hours' works, but this is a mess of an album, one of my disappointments in recent years (although i will say DT has been going downhill for me after Octavarium, with very few outstanding moments for me to enjoy Big smile). 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 08:44
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^^ Nice! Thumbs Up

^ What did you think of the new GBS?

This weekend:
Dream Theater - Images & Words
Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
Lena d'Água - Lusitânia
The Cars - The Cars
Zone Siz - Zone Six

Well as per usual my mind tends to gravitate towards electronics, so it was a nice and welcome surprise that they'd infused their usual approach with different sounding synths and modern electronics. The drums and bass though remains in the sweetspot - y'know that warm old school almost wooden sound that most contemporary bands shun (their loss).
I listened to the titletrack off Octavarium here the other day. T'was pretty nice actually although I could do without the singing. Kinda like a tribute track to Floyd's Wish You Were Here and 70s Yes...with a big boot full of crunching guitars and double pedal work from the good Mike Portnoy.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 08:44

^^ Nice! 

^ What did you think of the new GBS?

This weekend:
Dream Theater - Images & Words
Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement
Lena d'Água - Lusitânia
The Cars - The Cars
Zone Siz - Zone Six

Sam!  Do you like The Cars?  If so, what's your fave album?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 08:46
My fave has always been the Mazda
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 09:58
^I went through a phase being into those circa '70s muscle cars...come to think of it...I still love them.  Just can't afford the logistics of having one in a climate where they need to be in storage half the year.  My bucket list is very short but having a real  car again, if only briefly, would be on it. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 11:39
Sorry Jim, I was being my usual sarcastic self
I still don't own a driver's license...but if I did I'd look out for an original Mini Cooper or maybe the old VW Scirocco instead

- Douglas Adams
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 12:33
Here is what my future brother in law had in the 70s while dating my sister.  I even got to drive it once or twice and nearly blew it up when I missed a gear....

Here is what I had in the 70s...an eggshell with gas.

Image result for ford pinto

Big photos, sure to get crapchaed...

1 album yesterday, Weather Report - Black Market

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 18:50
^

Oh yeah....ain't she pretty?  Nice one Jim.

David, I thought I remember you talking about road trips in a car before, listening to tunes?  Maybe I 'm thinking of  another PA-er...

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 19:10
alright! Dream Theater and Cars! 
Nice talk here . My first car I got for myself was a 2007 328i coupe from BMW . Man what a crazy little prick I was then . a real money pit too .
Dream theater? Every time I hear people talk negatively about them it makes me want to listen to them even more .lol .

A more rambunctious day .

Goblin-- Roller (preparing for halloween)
Paradise Lost--Icon (finally got a nice original sound recording of this one . Miles better than my 2008 reissue...that will go in the trash. )
Savatage--Streets
New Order--Brotherhood ( 1986...what a year for music .)
Mike & The Mechanics-- The living years ( man I laugh at myself for liking this album. Maybe it encourages me to be a good parent. Lol )

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 19:16
Nicholas...I worked with a guy who had the same issue with his 328...he loved it, but the thing was constantly costing him big bucks. 

I putter along in a soulless Civic these days....dependable as can be, perfectly nice transportation, but boring.  Miss the '70s Grand Prix I once cruised in....a living-room on wheels.Big smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2018 at 20:03
Eddie Rabbitt - Horizon
Eddie Rabbitt - Variations
Eddie Rabbitt - Rabbitt
ELO - Out of the Blue
Bruford - Feels Good to Me

Apologies for the Rabbitt-fest over here.  It happens sometimes.Embarrassed

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 03:35

Ahh, I always found it was LaBrie's voice on that one that was my undoing with it, so shrieking in parts. He's still not my favourite singer, but you can really tell how he learned to tone things down on the later albums (say, from `Scenes From a Memory') moving onwards, became a much better singer because of it too.

I've been only listening to I&W when I feel like listening to them, partly because it's their shortest Tongue

Yeah, I noticed that too, it's quite astonishing Big smile

Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Well as per usual my mind tends to gravitate towards electronics, so it was a nice and welcome surprise that they'd infused their usual approach with different sounding synths and modern electronics. The drums and bass though remains in the sweetspot - y'know that warm old school almost wooden sound that most contemporary bands shun (their loss).

I listened to the titletrack off Octavarium here the other day. T'was pretty nice actually although I could do without the singing. Kinda like a tribute track to Floyd's Wish You Were Here and 70s Yes...with a big boot full of crunching guitars and double pedal work from the good Mike Portnoy.
That's what I thought too, definitely more interesting to my ears than their previous album.

I have that album but never heard it Tongue

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Sam!  Do you like The Cars?  If so, what's your fave album?
I only heard and bought the debut this year, so that's my favourite. The conversation about the band here got me to get it out of the shelf. I want to become more familiar with it before moving to the next.

Oh, and Jim beat me to it with the Chevelle SS, that's a dream car of mine, although I couldn't afford the gas for it let alone bringing one across the Atlantic LOL

Yesterday:
Manuel Göttsching - Inventions for Electric Guitar
Tangerine Dream - Cyclone
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 04:10
And for classic European cars, this one's my favourite Cool

Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 04:18
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

LOL
I don't know how the`Most Popular Album of the Last 24 Hours' works, but this is a mess of an album, one of my disappointments in recent years (although i will say DT has been going downhill for me after Octavarium, with very few outstanding moments for me to enjoy Big smile). 

Cristi, I just couldn't believe that it really would be `Most Popular Album of the Last 24 Hours' anymore! Sure, when it came out...they're a high profile band probably putting out (regardless of its actual quality!) one of the `biggest' prog albums of that year....but how long ago was it? Three years or more? I mean, it was popping up in that corner of the front page when there were some pretty big albums being checked out, drawing a lot of attention, or being quite heavily reviewed on the main page. Unless people are still angry about it after all this time!

Ha, I remember I gave it a five-star review when it came out. I never liked it, but I greatly admired the band for putting out such an obnoxiously self-indulgent and over-the-top `prog' statement and overblown concept piece. I still admire them for it, even if I can't really dig the album!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 04:37

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

LOL

Cristi, I just couldn't believe that it really would be `Most Popular Album of the Last 24 Hours' anymore! Sure, when it came out...they're a high profile band probably putting out (regardless of its actual quality!) one of the `biggest' prog albums of that year....but how long ago was it? Three years or more? I mean, it was popping up in that corner of the front page when there were some pretty big albums being checked out, drawing a lot of attention, or being quite heavily reviewed on the main page. Unless people are still angry about it after all this time!

Ha, I remember I gave it a five-star review when it came out. I never liked it, but I greatly admired the band for putting out such an obnoxiously self-indulgent and over-the-top `prog' statement and overblown concept piece. I still admire them for it, even if I can't really dig the album!

these are the reasons why I would rate it low LOL

best progressive metal of 2016? Hardly. Nobody thought that. I can think of many better prog metal albums released then. 
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 13:49

And for classic European cars, this one's my favourite Cool

Sam, very cool!  Being a typical ill-informed American, I am not well versed on the European classic cars.  Is that an Alfa Romeo of some kind?

Yeah, that Chevelle SS was a beast.  I think my brother in law's was a late 1969 model.  It had a 454 cubic inch engine that was more than I could handle being a spry 15 or so years old.  When he was drafted to Vietnam my sister drove it quite a bit, and let me cruise in it every now and then.  It was green with white stripes.  That Pinto of mine was clunker, put a gallon of gas in it and fill it up with oil LOL.

Jim, last year we traded our 2005 Honda Civic for a new Honda CRV, wife loves it as the seats are easier to get into as it sits higher than the Civic.  Never had a problem with the Civic.  
Eddie Rabbit night it sounds like.  Remember the radio songs from years ago, was curious about him and I was surprised that he passed on years ago, shame that I don't recall hearing that.

Never had a BMW, but a co-worker calls his a Broken Motor Works...Smile

Anyway, seems like The Cars have slightly taken the thread off in the weeds which I have enjoyed.
Last night:
Buffalo Springfield - The Best Of Buffalo Springfield: Retrospective  (love the Bluebird - awesome)
Dire Straits - On Every Street  (Knopfler just makes it sound effortless)

Edited by AEProgman - October 30 2018 at 14:22
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 18:22
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Eddie Rabbitt - Horizon
Eddie Rabbitt - Variations
Eddie Rabbitt - Rabbitt
ELO - Out of the Blue
Bruford - Feels Good to Me

Apologies for the Rabbitt-fest over here.  It happens sometimes.Embarrassed
Didn’t know Eddie Rabbitt had that many albums! I might give him more of a listen someday. I have a soft spot for that kind of thing.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 18:23
The Dead C | The Dead See Perform M Harris
The Dead C | DR503
The Dead C | Clyma est Mort
Sly/Fam Stone | Stand
Klaus Schulze | Cyborg
James Ferraro | Human Story 3
James Ferraro | Discovery
Joni Mitchell | Taming the Tiger
Faust | s/t
Crispy Ambulance | Random Textures
Connan Mockasin | Jassbusters
Colin Newman | Not To
OCS (Oh Sees) | Memories of a Cut off Head

Thee Oh Sees have succeeded in putting out one of the most kickbutt records I’ve heard in the last couple years (A Weird Exits) and one of the gentlest and prettiest (Memories of a Cut off Head). They are certainly a current band to watch.

Edited by HolyMoly - October 30 2018 at 18:38
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2018 at 18:44
^
He's actually got like 15 albums!  But the late 70s ones are the only ones I'm familiar with.  Nothing hip or edgy obviously, but relaxing, catchy, good tunes. 

How do you like that Joni album?  That is one of the few from her I'm not at all familiar with.  

You might really like The Beths.  Their full length debut "Future Me Hates Me" is probably my favorite Indie rock album in years.  Kinda punk-flavored pop with dark lyrics but sunny harmonies.  Most of their songs are on YT if you wanna check em out. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 267268269270271 527>