Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My New Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 38>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2023 at 07:27
As I jumped the gun on the new Paul Simon, I beg your pardon to digress on that fine album. Not only is it a marvelous meditation on the possibility of an afterlife by Mr. S, it's also a sublime piece of prog folk, with its 7 song cycle suite. My only complaint is its short duration of approximately 32 minutes. It's hard for me to imagine that Simon couldn't expand a bit more on his feelings regarding this topic, but he might not have as many questions about the afterlife as yours truly. But if all this gets a bit too heavy, then the wonderful folk punk of Merry Hell is sure to put one in a "upward" mood. Thanks for the many videos that accompany their anthology review, Steve. It hit the spot and has made me a new fan. Wonderful stuff! Cheers my friend.

Edited by SteveG - June 27 2023 at 10:12
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2023 at 07:34
Hey, Steve. Thanks for this. I absolutely agree re Paul Simon and what a wonderful thing for a bunch of Wigan folksters to find a new fan in USA via a (mainly) prog rock music website.

It is moments such as this which make all the work so worthwhile, so thank you.

BTW, a review of a VERY special album will be posted later. The points you make re Simon’s meditations will resonate with you for tonight, I promise.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2023 at 14:36
Tonight, I have posted my first review of the week, and it is of a very special album indeed, Still by Glen Brielle which is the vehicle of Hugh Carter, founding member of Scottish pioneers Abel Ganz. Frankly, if you listen to no other album in 2023, this has to be the one.

Video of the Week is a rendition of 21st Century Citizen by Ana Patan, this hot on the heels of my recent review of her new CD.

As ever, simply take yourselves off to www.lazland.org and click on the relevant buttons. Incidentally, you can now follow the latest updates on Facebook - this link should take you to my page (I hope!), but, if not, there is a working link on the website. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100093378131277 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2023 at 06:05
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Tonight, I have posted my first review of the week, and it is of a very special album indeed, Still by Glen Brielle which is the vehicle of Hugh Carter, founding member of Scottish pioneers Abel Ganz. Frankly, if you listen to no other album in 2023, this has to be the one.

Video of the Week is a rendition of 21st Century Citizen by Ana Patan, this hot on the heels of my recent review of her new CD.

As ever, simply take yourselves off to www.lazland.org and click on the relevant buttons. Incidentally, you can now follow the latest updates on Facebook - this link should take you to my page (I hope!), but, if not, there is a working link on the website. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100093378131277 
Wow! For a blabbermouth such as I to be left almost speechless, after reading your review and listening to the beautiful music of Hugh Carter, that should indeed be an indicator of greatness. This is emotionally cathartic stuff on so many levels. Thanks for bringing this fine album to the masses, Steve, as well as Mr. Carter's personal story of perseverance and hope. You've done many a good service.

Edited by SteveG - June 13 2023 at 06:07
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2023 at 10:01
^thank you, Steve, very much.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 15 2023 at 14:47
This evening's update is a review of a book, something I have neglected in recent weeks what with the plethora of albums presented for your delectation & delight. The book is Witchfinders, A Seventeenth-Century English Tragedy, and is a belter of a history.

Reviews upcoming on the site are The Emerald Dawn & Amoeba Split, hopefully early next week. In the meantime, piles of stuff elsewhere on the site to enjoy - why not explore?

I have tonight sent a detailed set of interview questions to one of the all time greats of modern progressive rock. I will leave it at that, but am hoping to publish in a couple of weeks. I will leave it at that! 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 19 2023 at 14:48
The first album review of the week is a special one - The Emerald Dawn who are releasing In Time later this year. You can read a review of the album in advance of the pre-order campaign opening shortly, alongside some special artwork and a video of the band performing To Touch The Sky live - we are going to get a similar performance of In Time, and I, for one, can't wait.

As ever, simply go to the homepage at www.lazland.org and click on the link. I am also hoping to do an interview with the band shortly as well.

Reviews coming up will be Amoeba Split, IO Earth, Karnataka, and Wegferend. So much quality music!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2023 at 13:32
The second album review of the week is something quite different from the first, namely Spanish jazz-rock collective Amoeba Split with their third studio album, Quiet Euphoria. The review includes a couple of tracks which I think you will enjoy.

The next couple of weeks should see reviews of new albums by Karnataka, IO Earth, Wegferend, Beat Love Oracle, and maybe a couple of surprises.

As ever, all links are on the homepage at www.lazland.org   
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2023 at 13:56
^ I very much enjoyed reading your review of Quiet Euphoria, which is an album that I enjoyed. One thing I really like is that your layout, colour scheme, font.. is so easy to read on my phone. I do have reading glasses now but am not comfortable using them, and I am on the webz on my phone quite often, so having an easy for me to read site is important. I guess for me a tagline for your site could be, "Minimize your eye strain. Get down to www.lazland.org".
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2023 at 14:09
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ I very much enjoyed reading your review of Quiet Euphoria, which is an album that I enjoyed. One thing I really like is that your layout, colour scheme, font.. is so easy to read on my phone. I do have reading glasses now but am not comfortable using them, and I am on the webz on my phone quite often, so having an easy for me to read site is important. I guess for me a tagline for your site could be, "Minimize your eye strain. Get down to www.lazland.org".

Why, thank you, Greg. Actually, your post is very welcome, because my son said to me only the other day that he found the site difficult to view on his mobile phone and that I should reconfigure it. Any thought of that is now absolutely out of the question thanks to you.

I am glad you enjoyed the review. It is a very good album, and I keep saying this, but I am blessed that so many talented artists trust me to say a few words about their music. I think we are living in an incredible musical era, I really do.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2023 at 11:34
A new week, and a new review. Fans of progressive folk music will love the new album by French outfit, Wegferend. Simply go to the homepage and click on the link to read about a fine work, and there is also a video on the homepage of them performing live.

With any luck, more reviews to follow during the course of the week.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2023 at 11:54
The second album review of the week is the new IO Earth album, Sanctuary, and it is a pretty personal take on what is a very good album. Videos included to give you a flavour. As ever, get yourself over to www.lazland.org and click on the relevant button.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2023 at 07:45
A very nice one on Sanctuary, Steve. Keep 'em coming! Clap
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2023 at 13:50
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A very nice one on Sanctuary, Steve. Keep 'em coming! Clap

Thank you, Steve. In fact, they do keep on coming. If only HM Government were as efficient as www.lazland.com then we would all be in the land of milk & honey, because I present to you the third, yes third, review of the week, and it is about as far away as the last two as it is possible to get. 

The ever so slightly bonkers world of Beat Love Oracle with their latest album, Turning the Table is reviewed this evening. If you like fusion and love Zappa, you will really enjoy this album. For the rest of you, an opportunity to expand musical horizons.

Upcoming reviews based upon deliveries to the Lazland hoose are Karnataka & Marc Atkinson, together with, hopefully, some surprises.

As ever, enjoy. 

Edited by lazland - June 30 2023 at 13:51
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2023 at 13:47
There will probably only be one review uploaded this week, so it better be a good one, I suppose. Thankfully, it is of an essential release, Requiem for a Dream by the superlative new iteration of Karnataka.

My Video of the Week is a somewhat bittersweet affair, Always from David Longdon's solo album, Wild River. He is a talent rather impossible to replace, but he has left an incredible body of work for us to continue enjoying. This is a good example with a track you might not be familiar with. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2023 at 14:38
Tonight, I present an incredible interview with The Emerald Dawn. The band have provided my website with a stunning level of detail and the whole page at https://lazland.org/interviews/the-emerald-dawn is an absolute treat, an interview to be savoured and time taken to not only read the words, but listen to the music and watch the live performance.

Enjoy......
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 09 2023 at 14:52

Tonight, I present an incredible interview with The Emerald Dawn. The band have provided my website with a stunning level of detail and the whole page at https://lazland.org/interviews/the-emerald-dawn is an absolute treat, an interview to be savoured and time taken to not only read the words, but listen to the music and watch the live performance.

Enjoy......

A great band for sure! When I heard the amazing sound of The Emerald Dawn for the first time, that's when it finally dawned on me what I'd been missing out on all these years by ignoring Neo Prog back in the eighties. The same goes for marvellous Marillion too. Embarrassed

4 stars 2014: The Emerald Dawn - Searching for the Lost Key - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00AjSIwZkWw
 5 stars 2016: The Emerald Dawn - Visions - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSNZBQJNoy4
 4 stars 2019: The Emerald Dawn - Nocturne
 4 stars 2021: The Emerald Dawn - To Touch the Sky - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mvKd9hMCRA

By the way, I've been searching for the lost album link for Visions, and just rediscovered it tonight. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 09 2023 at 15:00
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2023 at 01:36

There will probably only be one review uploaded this week, so it better be a good one, I suppose. Thankfully, it is of an essential release, Requiem for a Dream by the superlative new iteration of Karnataka.

Another excellent band! Clap

5 stars 2003: Karnataka - Delicate Flame of Desire - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdktF-lL0yEYjAeQJ5r6fSTESk-NAiA2N
 5 stars 2012: Karnataka - New Light Live in Concert - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdktF-lL0yEZT0SdDfIL8cQl3KhOdSagt 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2023 at 02:57
^ they are, indeed, excellent and I am hoping to do an interview shortly.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2023 at 10:21
After the marathon interview published with The Emerald Dawn last night, a quieter upload this evening, but it is very much worth your attention.

The Video of the Week on the homepage at www.lazland.org is Guitar Dance In The Morning by Maria Barbieri, the very talented guitarist who will be touring as part of Big Big train replacing Dave Foster. This instrumental track features Nick Beggs, Larry Crowe, and Lenny Castro.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 38>