Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 278279280281282 527>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 10:30
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

^
I'll have to try an IQ album sometime.  I'm not sure if I've ever heard them. 

Jim!! My goodness, brother!! Please do! Smile
I have no reservations or doubts that you would not enjoy this quality band .

The only thing I would say is avoid the Menel years for now (1987-1989). 
Those albums are more situated into 80's synth pop with less progressive tendencies . Much like Genesis's Invisable touch and so forth .not saying they are bad...not by a long shot but IQ of course at their best are with Peter Nicholls at the Mic helm .
I think the Seventh House, Ever and The Road of Bones are terrific places to start .

I honestly cannot say enough about the band . They do not have one bad album!! 
Wink
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 10:37
today. 

Oceans of slumber-- Banished Heart ( hey .still one of the very best to come out in 2018. Definitely on my list for a top 10.)
Depeche mode-- A Broken Frame ( this is such a great, relaxed and spacious mix on this record .prepare for a chillout session .)
IQ-- Subterranea ( Some could argue that this is IQ's best and most dense conceptual album ever done. I love it . 102mins of music that feels like 40 .:)
IQ-- The Wake ( Live in Zoetemmer .2010. )
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 10:38
^^ I'd recommend Subterranea, it was the album I enjoyed the most at first listen.

Edited by Meltdowner - November 29 2018 at 10:38
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 10:50
Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth
Stratovarius - Episode
Deftones - Saturday Night Wrist
Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase
Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible
Necrophagist - Epitaph
Yes - Close to the Edge
Lucy Dacus - Historian

Been a bit all over the place today genre-wise, lol
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 11:00
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^^ I'd recommend Subterranea, it was the album I enjoyed the most at first listen.

You know my friend . That is a good rec .Wink

Honestly, all Nicholls fronted albums are a terrific place to start. Glad you liked Subterranea. Holy hell is that a great album. Favourite track is oddly Capricorn. Lol I just love that freakin sax a ma phooooone!! LOL
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 11:02
Thanks for the tips you guys. I will check them out. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 11:08
^^ To be honest I only heard it that one time four years ago or so, but it made a great impression on me. I thought I'd get myself some of their albums then but there was a whole lot of music in the way... and still is Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 11:13

Thanks for the tips you guys. I will check them out. 

Really hope you do. Honestly Jim, I think that IQ are the very best NEO PROG band of all time .Clap
Had ARENA put more thought and zeal into Audio Fidelity for their recordings from 2005 to present they would be close with IQ for sure, but as it turns out ARENA crush the living crap out of their sound, so the engagement or attachment for almost half their catalog is null for me. I know sound quality is not important to everyone, but for me it goes hand in hand with the music .Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 11:20
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^^ To be honest I only heard it that one time four years ago or so, but it made a great impression on me. I thought I'd get myself some of their albums then but there was a whole lot of music in the way... and still is Embarrassed

Of course .that tends to happen a lot, but you see Sam. You make a lot of people jealous because knowing that you will be discovering most of IQ's catalog for the first time is insanely special . I remember how I felt after I bought the 1994 reissue of The Wake album. What a great feeling . After that I bought just about everything I could from them even a few rarities . As it stands I have 23 IQ items including dvds .
Such a treasure. All sound great too! Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 12:02
Ahh, so IQ is the band Martin Orford was in.  That just floated back to my memory.  I recall his Old Road album being discussed here often, as well as his strong opinions on the music scene. 

Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 12:16
IQ: I would start with 'The Last Human Gateway' and if it don't blow your socks off, go no further.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 12:29
^
Start at the beginning, eh? 

AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 12:59
I only have 2 albums by IQ, Ever and Frequency and I like both, but I have to be honest I have not given them a lot of time or spins to feel good about where to suggest a place to start... Embarrassed.  Need to break them out again.

Last few days:

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets (actually first time hearing this album completely all the way through)
Elton John - Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy (Thanks to Jim's mention the other day, and it has been a very long time in listening to this one - good times)
Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Nightingales and Bombers (good stuff!)
Mad Fellaz - II

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 15:14
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Let Love In
Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool

mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 18:02
Past few days:

Battles - Mirrored
Battles - Gloss Drop
Battles - La Di Da Di
Trioscapes - Digital Dream Sequence
Trioscapes - Separate Realities
TV On The Radio - Seeds
TV On The Radio - Dear Science
Toby Driver - Madonnawhore
Toby Driver - They Are The Shield
IQ - Ever
The War on Drugs - Wagonwheel Blues
All Them Witches - ATW
All Them Witches - Sleeping Through the War
Fish - A Parley with Angels
Fish - A Feast of Consequences
R.E.M. - Fables of the Reconstruction
R.E.M. - Document
Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 18:31
Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Pink Floyd - A Saucerful of Secrets (actually first time hearing this album completely all the way through)

That one has grown steadily on me over time, as has the whole 68-70 period generally. Pretty sure I play the pre-DarkSide stuff more than the post now.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 18:54

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Let Love In
Nick Lowe - Jesus of Cool

Loved his latest album ' The Skeleton Tree.' Clap
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 19:07
That was my first one from him.  I'll have to check out more from both Nicks. 

So much...so little timeLOL

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 19:39
James Ferraro | Heaven’s Gate
Wolf Eyes | I Am a Problem: Mind in Pieces
The Knife & MT Sims | Tomorrow, in a Year
Swans | The Seer
Liars | WIXIW
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2018 at 10:54
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Of course .that tends to happen a lot, but you see Sam. You make a lot of people jealous because knowing that you will be discovering most of IQ's catalog for the first time is insanely special . I remember how I felt after I bought the 1994 reissue of The Wake album. What a great feeling . After that I bought just about everything I could from them even a few rarities . As it stands I have 23 IQ items including dvds .
Such a treasure. All sound great too! Smile
I have a good general idea of how each album sounds, even with just one listen a while ago. My memory unfortunately is only good for music LOL

Originally posted by AEProgman AEProgman wrote:

Mad Fellaz - II
It took me a while to get into it but now I think it's very strange in a special way.

I don't think I heard it once after the year of its release, even though it was on my top 10 of 2016.

Today:
Magma - Udu Wudu
La Coscienza di Zeno - Una Vita Migliore
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 278279280281282 527>