Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 528>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 13:34
Breathless will get another go as well...but it’s an lp which is off limits right now as my speakers snuffed it and I haven’t yet set up my old jbl’s. Not sure why but I never listen to lps over headphones..maybe I should.

Btw Samuel, I think you’ll like this: https://m.soundcloud.com/go_march
I’m listening to the album right now and it’s right down my alley. Kinda like James Holden & The Animal Spirits but varied and wellrecorded. Kraut-jazzy-hypno-prog.

Oh and Amen Dunes is nothing like Amon Düül ll Infinitely less weird. It’s more of a laid-back americana indie-like rock..but with a lisp and highly intriguing lyrics. Personally I am hooked. I’ve listened to that album at least 30 times since I got it. Chillout in a different way.

Cool to see you getting into King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, Steve..albeit slowly. If you haven’t tried it yet then I heartily recommend Sketches of Brunswick East - their most Canterburian to date..but also a rather soulful poppy affair if you can dig.

Yesterday:
Guerilla Toss - Twisted Crystal
Igor Wakhevitch - Logos
The Heliocentrics - A World Of Masks
Island - s/t
Marvin Gaye - Trouble Man Soundtrack
Monobody - Raytracing (I need to listen to this one some more. I wasn’t really paying attention but what I heard was a mixture of math rock and jazz with an edge)
Out Solar System - Origins
Reve General - Howl
Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information (Hot damn!!)
Ennio Morricone - I Cannibali
Eldberg - Par Er Heimur Hugans (Icelandic band, Icelandic vocals, prawk rock from the early 70s et voila: Eldberg! But man those vocals are beautiful..or maybe it’s just the lingo. The organs as well as the whole production is also just right. Perfect little album that I always seem to return to)

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 17 2019 at 14:17
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 13:47
DakhaBrakha - The Light
Cherry Glazerr - Haxel Princess
Halocraft - Chains for the Sea

Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 15:53
Lisa Stansfield - Affection: Although it came out in 89' it kinda feels a couple of years ahead of its time. Slicker and smoother than typical late 80's dance stuff, like an energized Sade. Kinda nice actually.

Sade - Love Deluxe: Listening to Lisa led me to wanting to hear this one, a classic on par with Steely Dan's Aja as THE album to play as background music when tea-sippers and fine wine enthusiasts stop by for a visit. I like this long version of "No Ordinary Love" better than the single version (although the video rules...I'm a major fan of mermaids).

Cherry Glazerr - Apocalipstick: Cool stuff...reminds me of early to mid 90s alt female coolness such as The Breeders and Veruca Salt, although this gang does have its own post-punky/new wave vibe to them. I dig the attitude as well. 

3rdegree - Ones & Zeros: Vol. 0: Sort of lurks somewhere between crossover and retro. Maybe neo as well. Tricky. Not my thing, but some of the melodies were real cool. The vocals work better when harmonization is going on, especially when the female vox join in on occasion.

Starfish64 - The Future in Reverse: Similar vocals to 3rdegree, and again, better when harmonization kicks in, although they work a little better for this more space-rocky type stuff. Not exactly complex, but the mood established for those "Determination" numbers are tripped out and cool.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 16:38
Glad you liked that, Dave. Beware the earlier stuff though. It's okay, but much more basic. On the one you played, it's an entirely new band with keyboards and a kickin' drummer.  The video for 'Nuclear Bomb' is worth a look, very funny, though not work-safe or little kid safe lol....  Great song, though. 

She's an interesting guitarist. Certainly not technically brilliant in any way, but find the coolest sounding little leads and chords.  Like her voice, often fragile, teetering on the edge of tune, but finding perfection somehow.  My favorite three discoveries this year are all female led indie/alt rock (Cherry, Dream Wife, and Beths)

Edited by Finnforest - January 17 2019 at 16:44

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 18:36
Yeah the Amen Dunes/Amon Duul comment was a joke. Completely different ballpark. I would say technically Amen Dunes is outside my comfort zone but I keep returning to them and have most of their albums now.

David - I see your Hot Damn comment on Shuggie Otis above . I heartily agree with you on that one.

For today’s listening I gave lotsa time to the music of a friend of mine who runs a group in NYC called Oh Oh Ecstasy. Psychedelic lo-fi dream pop/goth/postpunk. Been a fan for years but hadn’t listened in a while so I had a mini-marathon. Look em up on Bandcamp if yr curious.
Oh - coincidentally (inasmuch as David listened to it today) I sent this guy a spare vinyl copy of Guerilla Toss’s new album recently, because I knew he’d love it. He did.

Oh Oh Ecstasy | shuffle of 5-6 albums
Flo & Eddie | The Phlorescent Leech and Eddie
Beak> | >>>
James Ferraro | On Air

P.S. Breathless is officially my favorite Camel album now. It’s also the first one I heard. My dad taped it off the radio when it was new. A couple of years later we saw them live in Copenhagen, probably blocks from where David was being born right around the same time. These coincidences are so awesome.

Edited by HolyMoly - January 17 2019 at 18:43
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 18:42
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Glad you liked that, Dave. Beware the earlier stuff though. It's okay, but much more basic. On the one you played, it's an entirely new band with keyboards and a kickin' drummer.  The video for 'Nuclear Bomb' is worth a look, very funny, though not work-safe or little kid safe lol....  Great song, though. 

She's an interesting guitarist. Certainly not technically brilliant in any way, but find the coolest sounding little leads and chords.  Like her voice, often fragile, teetering on the edge of tune, but finding perfection somehow.  My favorite three discoveries this year are all female led indie/alt rock (Cherry, Dream Wife, and Beths)

Yeah, her guitar playing has lot of quirk to it, which gives their sound that bit of sassy post-punk sophistication I don't hear in a lot of modern indie. It also helps that the rhythm section is quite the tight unit. I'll definitely check out that video.
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 18:44
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

For today’s listening I gave lotsa time to the music of a friend of mine who runs a group in NYC called Oh Oh Ecstasy. Psychedelic lo-fi dream pop/goth/postpunk. Been a fan for years but hadn’t listened in a while so I had a mini-marathon. Look em up on Bandcamp if yr curious.

That sounds seriously up my alley! I'll check 'em out.
DreamTechPlus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreamTechPlus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2019 at 21:32
Jon Hassell - Listening to Pictures
Anderson .Paak - Oxnard
Martyn Bootyspoon - Silk Eternity
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 00:44
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Sade - Love Deluxe: Listening to Lisa led me to wanting to hear this one, a classic on par with Steely Dan's Aja as THE album to play as background music when tea-sippers and fine wine enthusiasts stop by for a visit. I like this long version of "No Ordinary Love" better than the single version (although the video rules...I'm a major fan of mermaids).]
Hands down the most beautiful album from them.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 07:18
Yep it took a few spins before my brain had adapted to the straightforwardness of Amen Dunes. At first my mind kept wishing for instrumental flourishes a la guitar solo or something similar simply because the music almost begs for it at certain points..imo of course...but then I thought about the bassist off The Pixies who once said something about certain musicians that had trouble playing stuff without having to infuse a little gymnastic workout. After that I merely zone out and chill whilst listening.
Oh and I just love the vocals: ‘daddy’s in the alley sniffin’ glue’

Steve’s most likely right on the money regarding the timeline of Breathless and my birth. First album I really got into from that year though was Michael Jackson’s Thriller

Yesterday:
Amon Düül ll - Made In Germany
The Savage Rose - Refugee
Düreforsøg - Knee
Lou Reed - Rock n Roll Animal
Shuggie Otis - Inspiration Information (Hot damn once again!! Indeedio...what a wonderful slice of funk and psychedelic soul)
Go March - ll
McLuhan - Anomaly
John Maus - Addendum
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Oganesson View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oganesson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 09:29
Absolutely NOT on a French-language kick today, but:

Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson
What I AM on a kick for is this album. Despite its 27 minutes (and I know prog epics that are longer than that!), it's packed with proto-funky goodness. I especially dig the bass, string sections and the occasional piano motif, all of which help bring out a mysterious and exciting mood.

Harmonium - L'heptade
This is where the band - known for Si on avait besoin d'une cinqième saison - dig deeper into the progressive rock hole. It's certainly more ambitious than their previous albums - and they've pulled it off extremely well. Really appreciate the various moods - from the uplifting to the sombre - that this album creates.

Serge Fiori - s/t
Another album that I've been playing for the past few days. This effort by the former frontman of Harmonium - released in 2014 - is more conventionally structured than his albums with the band (with most of the songs being around five minutes long), but the Harmonium in him still hasn't been extinguished, even after its dissolution in the late '70s. Groovy at times, calm and contemplative at times, but an excellent work all around.
"I have made good judgments in the past. I have made good judgments in the future." - Dan Quayle

Reach out as forward tastes begin to enter you...
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 16:48
Oh Oh Ecstasy - Nightlife is for You (Nice one, Steve! Cool stuff.)
Men I Trust - same

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 17:37
Genesis - Selling England by The Pound
Genesis - Foxtrot
VDGG - Godbluff
Billy Cobham - Crosswinds
Miles Davis - Big Fun

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 18:32
just got to hear one today. 

Splurged on a MFSL Original Master Recording of Rush's Permanent Waves .
Cost me 50$ but my god the quality is second to none . I should be buying diapers I know but I just couldnt help myself .

Rush-- Permanent Waves ( enjoyed thoroughly with headphones and a glass of wine . A nice little break for myself .) 

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 21:07
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Breathless will get another go as well...but it’s an lp which is off limits right now as my speakers snuffed it and I haven’t yet set up my old jbl’s. Not sure why but I never listen to lps over headphones..maybe I should.

to)

Let me know how you enjoy that listening experience. If you have a good cartridge and phone stage pre amp it should be quite pleasant. 
Smile
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 21:27
Focus - In and Out of Focus
David Torn - Door X
Allan Holdsworth - Metal Fatigue
Doug Wood - I am Kiroc

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2019 at 23:07
I first heard Amen Dunes a year ago when I took a chance on a used CD purchase of one of his early albums. It was creepy and atmospheric, like Marc Bolan making a confessional solo album in an echo chamber and doing tape experiments and stuff. So I was sold. Later stuff has been a bit smoother and more professional, but that magical otherworldly vibe is still there.

The Dead C | Patience
The Dead C | The Damned
Klaus Schulze | Cyborg
Creeping Pink | Caped in at Mirror Woods
Mouthus | The Long Salt
Various Artists | Frank’s Gotcha Covered (an FZ-fan-created CD of original versions of obscure songs which Zappa covered throughout his career)
Rheostatics | Introducing Happiness
To Live and Shave in L.A. | The 300 Dollar Silk Shirt
Guerilla Toss | Flood Dosed EP

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 19:48
Ramones - Pleasant Dreams
BOC - Spectres

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2019 at 23:52
Zappa | 1969 show I found on CD
Jesus Christ Superstar | Orig Soundtrack
James Ferraro | Last American Hero
Zappa | We’re Only in it for the Money
Soft Machine | Fourth
Thee Oh Sees | Carrion Crawler / The Dream
Zappa | Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison
Billy Joel | The Stranger

-Kehlog Albran
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 01:56
Genesis - Foxtrot
VDGG - Godbluff
VDGG - Pawn Hearts
VDGG - H to HE

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 293294295296297 528>