Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296297298 528>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 03:41
“Marc Bolan making a confessional solo album in an echo chamber and doing tape experiments and stuff”

Surely made my morning.
I think there could be something to glib one-sentence reviews. Just like that TD one by Greenback where he boils the entirety of Zeit down to a couple of refrigderators humming...absolutely hilarious (and quite true in some sense)

Review of Magma’s MDK: Bunch of Uruk Haïs form a fusion band and record a teutonic inspired love album for a minotaur.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 04:36
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Review of Magma’s MDK: Bunch of Uruk Haïs form a fusion band and record a teutonic inspired love album for a minotaur.
That is pretty damn good! You forgot about the giant toad, though.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 07:17

Lou Reed - Rock n Roll Animal

^ Love that album!

Not much listening this week, yesterday:

King Crimson - Meltdown - Live in Mexico 2017 (disc 2)
Genesis - Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AEProgman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 07:20

Lou Reed - Rock n Roll Animal

Love this album!

Not much listening this week, yesterday:

King Crimson - Meltdown: Live in Mexico 2017 (disc 2)
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Edit: Crap, not a capcha but a spam denied on the first reply, but it went through anyway.  Double post.

Edited by AEProgman - January 20 2019 at 07:21
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 14:29
BOC - Club Ninja
London Grammar - If You Wait

Need to hear some Lou again.

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2019 at 19:48
King Gizzard and the (Lovely) Lizard Sisters | Polygondwanaland
Mr Bungle | California
Xiu Xiu | The Air Force
Swans | Deliquessence
Sloan | 12
Parquet Courts | Wide Awake
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 00:23
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

That is pretty damn good! You forgot about the giant toad, though.

Well obviously

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 21 2019 at 00:23
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 00:33
That Lou Reed album is indeed smoking...and wholly unlike anything else in his oevre. I think the amphetamine fuelled rock at a hundred miles an hour suite him and the band well. Just that beautiful guitar intro by Hunter is to die for and rather sets the tone to a magnificent almost pompously huge event..at least by Lou standards.

Yesterday:
Avantdale Bowling Club - s/t (best hip hop album I have heard in a loooong while. Highly imaginative lyrical universe with real jazz musicians delivering the musical backdraft. More hip hop should revolver around the upright bass imo.)
Simple Minds - Real to Real Cacophony
Embryo - Stieg Aus
Needlepoint - The Diary of Robert Reverie
Four Tet - Morning/Evening
Genesis - The Lamb Lise Down On Broadway
Dashiell Hedayat - Obsolete

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 02:38

Btw Samuel, I think you’ll like this: https://m.soundcloud.com/go_march
I’m listening to the album right now and it’s right down my alley. Kinda like James Holden & The Animal Spirits but varied and wellrecorded. Kraut-jazzy-hypno-prog.

Oh and Amen Dunes is nothing like Amon Düül ll Infinitely less weird. It’s more of a laid-back americana indie-like rock..but with a lisp and highly intriguing lyrics. Personally I am hooked. I’ve listened to that album at least 30 times since I got it. Chillout in a different way.

Nice! I'll give it a listen right now.

Hmm, it doesn't seem like my kind of thing. I should listen to Amon Duul more often though :P

Oh, what do you think about it? I was so surprised the first time I heard it, nothing like they did in the 80's.

The local record store had a vinyl copy of it, I recognized it but didn't remember anything about it. Is it any good?

Last weekend:
10000 Russos - Distress Distress
Papir - Live at Roadburn
Minami Deutsch - With Dim Light
Mike Oldfield - Islands (Booooring Sleepy Not even the first side saves it.)
Pulsar - The Strands of the Future (The drums sound so different from track to track, and particularly worse on the epic, the kick drum sounds like a muffled fart LOL)

miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2019 at 09:08
The Neal Morse Band The Great Adventure
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 02:54
Go March - II
Todd Terje - It's Album Time
Casiopea - Casiopea
Yumi Arai - Misslim
Lazuli - Saison 8
Samuel Cadima - Outros Horizontes (Finished it last night! Big smileParty)
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 11:20
just one again...

Rush- Signals ( MFSL Original Master Recording 1994 .Well fellas this holds the record for the most I've ever spent on a single cd and really I am not ashamed to admit it because the quality and listening experience I get from this disc is second to none. The bass and dynamics is unbelievable . Goosebumps all around and for 80$ it is so worth it for me. I cannot wait to share this with my son when he comes of age to appreciate it. ) 

Prog on .
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 12:22
Shocked
Well, if ya got the bucks, why not? Chasing the best-sounding versions can be something of a fun game all by itself. I was into the Japanese minis for a while, and it's really nice to have premium versions of your favorite albums.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2019 at 17:18
Far Caspian - Between Days
Tommy James and the Shondells - Crimson and Clover
BOC - Mirrors

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 13:34
Amorphis - Tuonela
Lou Reed - Coney Island Baby
Devo - Are We Not Men
Blondie - Parallel Lines
Lou Reed - The Blue Mask

Wow, first listen to Coney Island Baby....loved it.  Need to try some more Lou. Not a discog I've delved too deeply into beyond VU.

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 17:32
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Shocked
Well, if ya got the bucks, why not? Chasing the best-sounding versions can be something of a fun game all by itself. I was into the Japanese minis for a while, and it's really nice to have premium versions of your favorite albums.

Oh god I am obsessed because the performance is there . Just makes my Soundchain sing! So worth it . Clap

Supertramp-- Breakfast In America ( MFSL Original Master Recording. ) just when I think the original cd release from AM records couldn't be topped I could not be more wrong! Confused
Dann you MOFI. Take my money .LOL
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 17:53
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Shocked

Oh god I am obsessed because the performance is there . Just makes my Soundchain sing! So worth it . Clap

Supertramp-- Breakfast In America ( MFSL Original Master Recording. ) just when I think the original cd release from AM records couldn't be topped I could not be more wrong! Confused
Dann you MOFI. Take my money .LOL
The best MFSL CD I’ve gotten may be The Unforgettable Fire, which I found cheap about a year ago. The album alwsys sounded muddy in every format until now - this one has so much punch and depth, it was wonderful to hear.

Today and yesterday:

Billy Joel | The Stranger (and bonus concert disc)
Billy Joel | Glass Houses
Billy Joel | The Nylon Curtain
Pacific Rat Temple Band (James Ferraro) | Tan Kim (Boa Paradise)
Chord | Chord (recent Nick Didkovsky experiment in guitar ambience/noise)
Soft Machine | 5
Happy the Man | Beginnings
Julian Cope | Skellington 3
Soft Machine | Alive and Well: Recorded in Paris
Style Council | Confessions of a Pop Group

Edited by HolyMoly - January 23 2019 at 19:30
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 02:40
I only ever saw one MFSL CD, a copy of Dark Side of the Moon. It was cheaper to buy the Immersion box set Tongue

Last tuesday:
Wobbler - From Silence to Somewhere
Astrodome - II
Bruce Palmer - The Cycle Is Complete
Malady - Toinen Toista
Tacita Intesa - Tacita Intesa
Sezione Frenante - Metafora di un Viaggio
Motis - L'Homme-Loup
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 02:56
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

Btw Samuel, I think you’ll like this: https://m.soundcloud.com/go_march
I’m listening to the album right now and it’s right down my alley. Kinda like James Holden & The Animal Spirits but varied and wellrecorded. Kraut-jazzy-hypno-prog.

Oh and Amen Dunes is nothing like Amon Düül ll Infinitely less weird. It’s more of a laid-back americana indie-like rock..but with a lisp and highly intriguing lyrics. Personally I am hooked. I’ve listened to that album at least 30 times since I got it. Chillout in a different way.

Nice! I'll give it a listen right now.

Hmm, it doesn't seem like my kind of thing. I should listen to Amon Duul more often though :P

Oh, what do you think about it? I was so surprised the first time I heard it, nothing like they did in the 80's.

The local record store had a vinyl copy of it, I recognized it but didn't remember anything about it. Is it any good?

Last weekend:
10000 Russos - Distress Distress
Papir - Live at Roadburn
Minami Deutsch - With Dim Light
Mike Oldfield - Islands (Booooring Sleepy Not even the first side saves it.)
Pulsar - The Strands of the Future (The drums sound so different from track to track, and particularly worse on the epic, the kick drum sounds like a muffled fart LOL)

Yeah I figure Amen Dunes may not be for you. How did the Go March album fare? I personally love the Leopolderson track.

I was also very surprised when I first span that Simple Minds album...and I actually dig their more poppy stuff. This though is far more post-punky and edgy sounding.

Dashiell Hedayatt’s Obsolete on vinyl..and you did not pick it up?!?!?!???! You crazy man!
It’s basically Gong with dusky French vocals.. without the looneytoons. One of my favourite early psych gems.

Btw. congrats on finishing up the album! I can’t wait to hear the final product.

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 03:08

Edited by Tom Ozric - January 24 2019 at 03:09
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 294295296297298 528>