Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 295296297298299 528>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 06:46
Ever posted in the wrong thread or just mixed up threads starting out in one and ending up posting somerhing that belongs elsewhere?
Heh..
From the 10 you regularly listen to thread:

Yesterday:
Avantdale Bowling Club - s/t
Camel - s/t
Boards Of Canada - Tomorrow’s Harvest
Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Maxophone - s/t
Far Corner - Risk
Magazine - The Correct Use Of Soap
Klaus Schulze - Picture Music

Which of course was the day before yesterday

So erm...yesterday:
Circle - Pharaoh Overlord (still as brilliant as back when I first discovered how wonderful psych music can be mixed up with bass trombone and navajo feel)
Marillion - Fugazi (still my fave by them)
Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti - Before Today (been a while but it was a truly joyous return!)
Parliament - Funkentelechy vs The Placebo Syndrome
Depeche Mode - Songs Of Faith & Devotion
Hooffoot - s/t
Lou Reed - Berlin (One of my fave albums...when I finally decide to spin it. Took me quite a few years to get my head around, because I expected something similar to VU and got something akin to prog rock..though delivered in Lou’s laidback fashion. Also Aynsley Dunbar is an absolute monster on this album. I looooove the drums!)
Pond - The Weather

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 24 2019 at 06:47
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 06:57
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Yeah I figure Amen Dunes may not be for you. How did the Go March album fare? I personally love the Leopolderson track.

I was also very surprised when I first span that Simple Minds album...and I actually dig their more poppy stuff. This though is far more post-punky and edgy sounding.

Dashiell Hedayatt’s Obsolete on vinyl..and you did not pick it up?!?!?!???! You crazy man!
It’s basically Gong with dusky French vocals.. without the looneytoons. One of my favourite early psych gems.

Btw. congrats on finishing up the album! I can’t wait to hear the final product.
It was a great listen, very clean Psych, in a good way. It reminded me a bit of Maserati's latest.

Yeah, it's hard to believe it's the same band. I don't like their poppy stuff much though.

Cool, especially since I don't like Gong's crazy vocals (I actually prefer their Fusion stuff). I can always return and see if it's there, but I got so many new albums already Embarrassed

Thanks! I already uploaded it on Bandcamp, I just need the cover Wink

I should give that Circle album another listen and it's been a while since I spun Hooffoot.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 07:29
I too thought of Maserati with those driving rhythms and synths.
I’ll get on that cover my friend!
The whole of Obsolete is on ze jootoob so you can always check it out beforehands. Personally I’d just drop everything and fly straight down to the shop and hand over some money. Proof? Check out Cielo Drive

You should do yourself a favour and spin the Circle album now that you’ve got the Hifimans. Trust me, those deeeep trombone gargles will be so much more effective.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2019 at 13:40
ABWH
Le Orme - Uomo di Pezza
Arena - The Visitor

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 10:59
Thursday:
Wishbone Ash - Argus
Triumvirat - Illusions on a Double Dimple
Rush - Power Windows

Italian Friday:
Celeste - Il Risveglio del Principe
Narrow Pass - In This World And Beyond
Il Paradiso degli Orchi - Il Corponauta
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 14:00
Last batch of days:

Cheer Accident - Fades: Wasn't a fan the first go-around, as I had to get used to the oddball vocals. Second time was a charm though. Sweet!

Unleashed - The Hunt for White Christ: Dumb album title aside, this is pretty kickin' death metal by old vets, and what's more impressive is that is doesn't sound like their old stuff. A nice evolution so to speak.

Monstrosity - The Passage of Existence: 2018 album with modern production, but yeah...this sounds like old-school death metal, as in early Monstrosity. The good ole' days I guess.

Sisare - Leaving the Land: I don't remember these guys sounding like this when we evaluated them. Hardly metal, but good heavy prog with "easy on the ears" vocals...almost a rarity these days.

Debbie Gibson - Out of the Blue: Unlike Tiffany's debut, this has a good, though thoroughly 80's production. Tons of sax solos too. Tiffany has the more unique voice though.

Weezer - Teal Album: Cover songs. Not too imaginative, but I like the cranked up "Happy Together". The best aspect is probably that the singer is good at imitation. He'd nail stuff at karaoke.

Avantasia - Ghostlights: Sort of somewhere between symphonic and power metal. Guy can sing, as gloriously cheesy at it is. I feel braveness stirring in my loins.
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 17:25
BOC - Fire of Unknown Origin
Lou Reed - Berlin
Blondie - Plastic Letters

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2019 at 21:17
Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti | Underground
Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti | Scared Famous
Ariel Pink’s Haunted Graffiti | Oddities Sodomies
Happy the Man | Death’s Crown
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark | Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark | Organisation
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 12:47
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
King Crimson - Lizard
Led Zeppelin - IV
Bruford-Levin - Blue Nights
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 12:49
VDGG - Pawn Hearts
VDGG - Godbluff
King Crimson - LTIA

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 15:31
The Stooges - Funhouse
Alice Cooper - Killer
Velvet Underground - Loaded

progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 20:25
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Shocked
Well, if ya got the bucks, why not? Chasing the best-sounding versions can be something of a fun game all by itself. I was into the Japanese minis for a while, and it's really nice to have premium versions of your favorite albums.

Oh god I am obsessed because the performance is there . Just makes my Soundchain sing! So worth it . Clap

Supertramp-- Breakfast In America ( MFSL Original Master Recording. ) just when I think the original cd release from AM records couldn't be topped I could not be more wrong! Confused
Dann you MOFI. Take my money .LOL
The best MFSL CD I’ve gotten may be The Unforgettable Fire, which I found cheap about a year ago. The album alwsys sounded muddy in every format until now - this one has so much punch and depth, it was wonderful to hear.

Hey! What a great collectors piece! I wish I had that one and really I cannot find it cheap either .Confused
I like that U2 album. It is a better recording than War. Enjoy that MFSL version of it .
Bet it is amazing .Smile
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 20:31
just one again . Not much time these days. 

Rush-- Power Windows. ( once again. Chucked my 97 remaster and got an original. My appreciation and bonding with my music these days has never been stronger .
Power Windows proves just that . Lee's bass is the big winner on this album and I can finally hear all his parts because the compression is way way down . I never knew it was that good. My God . I love this album .)
I think once i get back to listening to atl least 5 albums a day i am gonna have heart failure due to pleasure overload. LOL

Edited by progbethyname - January 26 2019 at 20:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2019 at 20:52
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

I only ever saw one MFSL CD, a copy of Dark Side of the Moon. It was cheaper to buy the Immersion box set Tongue

They (MFSL) don't print very many of the albums they master. Most are limited to 2500 copies. It is absurd .ConfusedOuch
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 10:07
Jim: I see you’ve listened to Berlin. What did you think of it?
Oh and Funhouse for the win Such a great album to clear out the old sinuses with.

Steve: Glad to see someone else spinning OMD. I really dig those icy synth sounds of the day much thanks to Gary Numan and Cars.

Yesterday:
Tangerine Dream - Stratosfear (really getting into the more ‘romantic’ side of TD, which I feel this is..by TD standards of course)
Eldberg - Par er Heimur Hugans (addictive to say the least...I had no idea I needed Icelandic vocals in my diet, but I guess I really do)
Eloy - Planets
Eloy - Dawn
Syd Arthur - Sound Mirror
Fläsket Brinner - Fläsket
Genesis - Nursery Cryme
Floating Points - Kuiper
Invisible - s/t

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 10:58
Hi Guldie!  I didn't like it as well as the Coney Island....I kind of dig that lazy, laid-back feel of certain VU/LR stuff over the harder-edged or more intense material.  But I've certainly not heard it enough to judge it, and I suspect I would think it awesome once I became more acquainted. 

Loved FunhouseLOL

Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 13:39
Egg - The Polite Force
Triana - El Patio
The Emerald Dawn - Nocturne

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 20:11
Madness | One Step Beyond...
Grits | As the World Grits
The Dead C | Rare Ravers
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark | Architecture and Morality
Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark | Dazzle Ships

David - I’ve only gotten hip to OMD in the last few years but they are top tier in the field of intelligent electronic pop music, and not in the cold robotic sense, but in the human resonant sense. Real tunes for real people.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2019 at 21:14
Eric Kloss - Doors
Bloque - Hombre, Tierra y Alma

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2019 at 06:54
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Hi Guldie!  I didn't like it as well as the Coney Island....I kind of dig that lazy, laid-back feel of certain VU/LR stuff over the harder-edged or more intense material.  But I've certainly not heard it enough to judge it, and I suspect I would think it awesome once I became more acquainted. 

Loved FunhouseLOL

Talk about two very different records right thereLOL One is in-yer-face whilst the other is huge and pompously big yet the first couple of times I heard it, Berlin, it drifted by me without leaving a trace..which is so weird now that I love it.

Have you by any chance ever checked out Anna von Hausswolff Jim? Not sure why but I've thought of you several times whilst spinning her latest, and whether it's because you love Kate Bush, Joni Mitchell and a whole bunch of other female vocalists or because of your thing for dusky organs a la Jacula, the album 'Dead Magic' should more than likely appeal to something in youSmile
https://annavonhausswolffmusic.bandcamp.com/album/dead-magic

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 295296297298299 528>