Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRock and Roll Hall of Fame's assesment of Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 13:18
That olive drab write up was prepared by a hack which doesn't surprise me when associated with the so-called "Hall of Fame." That organization is the biggest laugh-out-loud entity around. Those that give it credence should be taken out back and flogged (and then given an ice cream cone to stop the crying).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Bitterblogger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2015 at 14:21
Prog was fashionable for a short time decades ago, and then denigrated by critic's darlings, the punks. So prog became uncool, and no critic can afford to be thought uncool. Yes was later embraced by the mainstream only when they did more pop, just like Genesis, which is why they're remembered beyond our little family here.

I have an Animal House film comparison--the R&RHOF is like the stuck-up Omega Theta Pi fraternity whilst we are the Deltas. Go do your little ceremonies while we'll just listen to the greatest music ever.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 11:19
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 12:19
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

It is asinine that the RRHoF hasn't inducted Yes yet. Or Chicago. Or Jethro Tull. Or Deep Purple. Or the Moody Blues. These bands are owed an apology for the electors being tw*ts and nitwits.

The RRHoF can go f*ck themselves. Or itself, as the case may be.

+1
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 13:05
Some stupid with a flare gun should burn the place to the ground....
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 21:19
Speaking of which, Deep Purple is now in, along with Chicago, Cheap Trick, The Steve Miller Band and NWA.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 22:07
It seems the inductees have been chosen... once again Yes is not among them.

http://buffalo.com/2015/12/17/news/music/rock-hall-to-get-five-worthy-inductees-but-misses-one/
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2015 at 22:50
Sucks cause they were too late for Chris Squire to have the honor. And they STILL won't put Yes in. Yes should be though. They top all the other bands all the way. Wouldn't it be nice if the 2017 indictees were Yes, King Crimson, Kansas, Jethro Tull, and ELP?

N.W.A should NOT have gotten in. They are rap. Not rock. Big difference. They're only getting in cause they had a big movie this year and it would make a lot of people watch. Might as well induct Star Wars while your at it...

Edited by A_Flower - December 17 2015 at 22:54
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2015 at 22:24
At least star wars has better music... well, I don't even know who NWA are, but being rap I'm sure I'll be liking the music from Star Wars better.
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 03:24
Re: NWA's induction, it looks like the Hall of Fame also includes artists that technically speaking aren't rock music but still are influential enough on the genre to be a part of its history. Sort of like the "Proto-Prog" and "Prog Related" categories on this website.
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 07:03
Thumbs Up about damn time Chicago got in Clap

and NWA rulz man... perhaps they will put their plaque next to the Allman Brother's one... go figure..
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 09:01
I'm not saying I don't like N.W.A. I think they have good opinions and all. But I just feel like them being inducted right after there big movie makes it seem like the Rock Hall is just trying to get money and attention. Also, I honestly just don't like rap over all. I respect it, but I don't like it
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 13:12
well in all fairness..  ie..  a functioning rational mind. Rap is more akin to rock and roll than prog is.

Remember man.. rock and roll is an american art form and whose root is rebellion and anger and getting jiggy with it.  Not a bunch of euros overintellecualizing what is ..has.. and always be something that is based on emotion and reality of everyday life.. not the intellect and hippy drippy philosophizing...

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 13:33
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

well in all fairness..  ie..  a functioning rational mind. Rap is more akin to rock and roll than prog is.

Remember man.. rock and roll is an american art form and whose root is rebellion and anger and getting jiggy with it.  Not a bunch of euros overintellecualizing what is ..has.. and always be something that is based on emotion and reality of everyday life.. not the intellect and hippy drippy philosophizing...

No, Micky, I will have to disagree -- and for all intents and purposes, I believe I have a functioning rational mind (even with evidence to the contrary LOL).

Rock and Roll is certainly an American art form originally, that diverged from blues roots in the 50s, and progressed along different lines to eventually encompass the prog rock of the 70s. The prog-rock bands of the 70s like Yes, ELP, Genesis, Tull, and whoever, will tell you they were indeed rock bands, just like The Beatles, Sabbath, Zeppelin and The Who. Nobody in the 60s or 70s differentiated them as separate entities, or considered them as some kind of different music, whatever trappings they added to the rock form.

However, rap is and has never been a rock form -- it originated from black funk and R&B roots in the 70s. The original rap groups would laugh at you if you insisted they had anything whatsoever to do with "rock" or "rock and roll". There may have been efforts to fuse rap and rock later on (like Run-DMC, or even much later Kid Rock), but that's just it, an attempt to fuse two disparate genres.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 13:42
I didn't say it was a rock form..  I just made the point that some, like those that decide such things likely consider it far more akin in spirit to rock than prog is.  Do people really think people hate prog.. no. hardly.. but what they likely do think that prog has very little to do with the spirit of rock and roll. Add in a likely bias and acceptace of and to american deviations from the rock and roll 'norm' than those that were euro-centric and it is no surprise prog has got the cold shoulder from the HoF.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 13:50

I didn't say it was a rock form..  I just made the point that some, like those that decide such things likely consider it far more akin in spirit to rock than prog is.  Do people really think people hate prog.. no. hardly.. but what they likely do think that prog has very little to do with the spirit of rock and roll. Add in a likely bias and acceptace of and to american deviations from the rock and roll 'norm' than those that were euro-centric and it is no surprise prog has got the cold shoulder from the HoF.

I think the "Rock and Roll of Fame" is a misnomer and should be changed post-haste. It should be referred to as the "Pop Music Hall of Fame" and forget about any pretense of rock or rock and roll with all the inane revisionism and homogenization and back flip rationalizations it uses to add acts that never were considered rock or rock and roll (and performers who never considered themselves to be either). Because rock and roll it ain't.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 13:55
sure.. and once you accept that it is not. Life becomes much simpler.. with each year a new batch of bands gets inducted.. some get left off.. and our lives go on...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 14:12

sure.. and once you accept that it is not. Life becomes much simpler.. with each year a new batch of bands gets inducted.. some get left off.. and our lives go on...
But...but...that would remove all our righteous rock 'n' roll indignation against the establishment, dude.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 14:32

Edited by micky - December 19 2015 at 14:33
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2015 at 20:17
I care about as much as the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as I have the desire to screw a chimpanzee or hang out at the DMV...Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>