Topic ClosedProg albums - CD vs. vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2016 at 13:18
Interesting approach for a topic.

First one that comes to mind is last years Lonely Robot album. It's not entirely my style, I won't lie about that, but there is a huge difference between the vinyl and the CD. I bought the vinyl, and got the CD with that. As soon as I played it, it was clear that the CD is a mess, compared to the vinyl. Mastering for vinyl and CD is different, but in my opinion John Mitchell messed up there. The dynamics are completely missing on the CD. If the album is good, and with John being the main composer and musician there's a fair chance it is, even if not my style, the CD does not reflect that at all simply because of bad mastering.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 00:24
Well, if this whole discussion isn't relative to the eye of the beholder I don't what is!

Too many variables at stake to definitively say what medium really does a specific recording it's true justice.
However, I shall list just a few.
1) outcomes of frequency depth or DNR is greatly affected to what he/she owns audio equipment wise. Sound reproduction and accuracy can be greatly gained or lost relative to what you process in your living room or on your head.
2) who was in charge of the audio recording itself? Certainly some audio engineers are much better than others.
3) the whole inception or purpose of CDS was to allow for a stronger and more accurate DNR because CDs on General can house far more data/information than vinyl but the unfortunate problem was that (and still is) most audio engineers in the business would abuse the digital medium by essentially making things far too loud by maxing out various frequency thresholds. Take for example the use of radio. Now on order to have a cd played through a radio wave medium to broadcast it you essentially had to record the album "louder" so when that album was broadcasted you could hear it more on a greater level, but the level of compression had to be pushed and abused to do this, so a faithful recording was simply lost. Sadly.
4) it is amazing how much data/information actually exists with in a 16 bit-depth at 44.1K.
If you have an audio engineer who actually knows what he/she is doing you can get some unbelievable SQ greater than vinyl and of course vice versa.

I read through this form/thread and I have to say some of the opinions made are just so incredibly false it almost angers me, but I for sure won't get into any detail about that because as we all know...well at least most of us do...that it's all about the music baby!!

Now. Just to keep to Wurthers topic of discussion. In my experience just about every Alan Parsons album possesses a greater sonic experience on CD than vinyl because of the DNR level.
Iron maiden 1998 cd remaster issues don't hold a candle to the Vinyl pressings.
Genesis remasters (2007) For my tastes, definitely better for me on CD but really do sound utterly fantastic on both mediums. Then again, this is again relative to what kind of sound equipment you process.

Also, it is important to note that some cd and vinyl recordings were intentionally recorded in a specific manner to tailor to and for people, with higher end audio equipment. Actually, a case in point, those 2007 Genesis remasters on CD are a perfect example of just that.      . Processing lower end equipment or modest budget systems make for those remasters by Nick Davis and Tony Cousins to sound like complete and utter sh*t.

All in all though. Both media formats are great!! And isn't it lovely how we all get the adventure to see or hear what we ultimately love more. It's great to have choices. I for one, appreciate both.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 15:53
^ I have no idea what you mean by 'false opinions' but how they sound is definitely subjective to me.
All of my vinyl is original and I still buy used vinyl (if it's in decent shape) when I come across something prog or psych that I don't own.
All I can say is that in most cases with my used vinyl they don't sound better than the cd's ...except in a few cases where as you pointed out the cd mastering was done poorly. 
I have no idea about new quality vinyl that many here are buying and I assume they are pressed better than the ones from the old days.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2016 at 17:29
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I have no idea about new quality vinyl that many here are buying and I assume they are pressed better than the ones from the old days.

See that's the thing.....Almost all pressing plants around the world are using the same presses that were in operation in the 70s and 80s. You read about how some guy found 10 presses in a storage unit and they need to be rebuilt, but they are the same, there is no new technology for pressing vinyl. I don't think any mfg has built any new presses recently.

What has improved is the audio gear we buy along with recording methods and mastering. Analog gear (turntables, cartridges and phono preamps) are soooo much better today than they were in the 70s and 80s.

Even my older original pressings from the 70s sound so much better today. Steely Dan-Aja, Supertramp-Cryme, Alan Parsons-i Robot, PF-DSOtM are all known for being some of the best sounding recordings, and today they sound better than ever played on my new/modern analog gear.
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2016 at 10:03
Absolutely correct, master Jose!! ^
:)

24 bit studio master recordings pressed onto a 180g vinyl with excellent phono stage equipment will usually put most red book CDS to shame depending on the recording of course. However, DVD's? Well that's just a whole other story and not fair to compare. Anyway man. Well said. I also still love reading your posts the 'vinyl' thread. Perhaps I should stop by and say hello again sometime.

Cheers man.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 08:19
24 bit exists for SACD and DVD Audio, processed at a higher rate for Blu Ray. 16 bit is the encoding that is used for the CD format and digital audio conversion is reversed to analogue from digital so that the digitally remastered recording now sounds good on vinyl. I once read that the LP bit rate was equivalent to 8 - 10 bit. Of course I'm not sure if that means pre-1983 LPs (as well as a lot afterward) or the current price for a record - (limitless).

I've heard horrible LPs. The thing get stuck on is seeing as far as the format itself. But while vinyl most certainly had many faults the worst was the varying quality of the tape genration that was disributed to various pressing plants. Which is why Japanese LPs were always the best, German second, British 3rd, US and Aus a poor 4th and NZ about 259 out of 258 countries.

I've recall hearing the first CD of Phiysical Graffiti and thought that I used to like this album. It sounded dreadful. No mastering for a new format, no care. As a side issue a, along with being kept on the lowest royalty rate for years it made me wonder ... about the true merits of the Ertegun tribute gig.

At least now we can be sure that recordings are sourced from a common master. This is why Japanese CDs always get those extra tracks, everyone gets good recordings but the expensive Japanese market demands something extra. Even the Stones' Exile On main Street box set had an extra track. I mean.. really. An archival limited release.

I've got the vinyl of On Your Feet Or On Your Knees (BOC) and it's the same as the unremastered CD you get in those varying little Original Albums CD series. The remastered CD  is better than both, not hugely but it's clearer and punchier.

The Genesis remasters, especially of the older albums are revelatory. Honestly, if there was integrity in the music industry these bands should have had time and expertise to have brought their recordings to the best they could rather than the LPs slung out for devoted pop fans to consume said product.

Older CDs (my (Mussorsky) Pictures and Rhapsody In Blue are very dated sounding CD masters. I really need updates. Classical gets the 24 bit treatment so much (I've stacks of SACDs which sound superb) but our pop music does not. Still more of a fan relationship manipulating cash cow arrnangemnt than art music.

I recall the CD issue of Songs From The Wood (Tull to all those who have been here so long they forget, unlike the fresh newbies) - it sounded, well, sticky. My Japanese remaster sounds beautiful.

Still I'd like to hear and read more about the Zep and Floyd new masters. I read here that the vinyl of the latest Zep masteres are better than the CDs. Is this the CDs before the current masters of the current CD masters.

Just for giggles there are now 2 vinyls of the Mothership compilation (both pre 2014 and current masters). yet I do not know if the CDs are current masters or old ones. Or which sounds beter or worse - and frankly I don't care.

All this does is illustrate what a mess the inefficient music industry has made of things. Now I dare not buy something I see in a shop in case there is (usually) a better version, more complete, the deluxe edition, the super deluxe edition or the super dooper deluxe edition.

So yes, sometimes I have a look around the Hoffmann fora (136 pages and counting on Bowie's 5 years box alone makes me wish for a resource more compact, a summary of what's best.

Incidentally and it may be just me but I've never known the ears bleeding over compressed brick walled problem so many moan about. Is it that people are so used to something that sounds awful but they are accustomed to it (Exile, Foxtrot) that something clear sounds different and this is "logically" interpreted as bad? Or are my ears shot from the beautiful mastering of Page's DW2? (Hang on too your old records and CD issues though).

Anyway I refer to the review pages often but there isn't much about the new masters and how they stand in the new playback technology etc. Some are mentioned but only a few reviews; it's like no one has the attention span to write a few paragraphs with a good conclusion and thoughtful recommendation. Trust me; it's appreciated.

As and when. No pressure.

cheers
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 09:34
TFTO sounds very cool on vinyl, not at all like a pretentious album. Still ambitious, but humble too. I grew up with the CD remastered version and first it was hard not to hear everything loud and clear. But finally the modesty of the original sound allowed me to appreciate more this record of Yes. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2016 at 15:27
Originally posted by hellogoodbye hellogoodbye wrote:

TFTO sounds very cool on vinyl, not at all like a pretentious album. Still ambitious, but humble too. I grew up with the CD remastered version and first it was hard not to hear everything loud and clear. But finally the modesty of the original sound allowed me to appreciate more this record of Yes. 

I have no idea what that means......but I still can't sit through that whole album in one listen....vinyl or cd.

LOL

Edited by dr wu23 - January 17 2016 at 15:28
Haquin
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 04:59
Early, not remastered CDs, often sounds better then CDs made after 1995 which often are destroyed by compression and brick wall limiting and in later years also noise reduction. So it's really not a case between LP vs CD, it's a case about flat transfers or ones that has been tweaked and tempered with.
lostrom
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 05:09
... or rather, to find an edition, regardless format, that is as genuine as possible, meaning sounding as true to the original as possible. Modern remasters rarely meet up to that standards, nor does new vinyl editions, as they often are cut from digital files instead of being real AAA editions. Therefore, it's either old vinyls, early not remastered CDs or new editions that has been made correctly, but that is very very rare.
lostrom
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 05:21
I usually go with vinyl, but there are exceptions.

In fact, I'm on a terrible dilemma at the moment. A fella in Poland is sellilng a new vinyl reissue of Moving Gelatine Plates' debut album for what would make about 12$. On Ebay, the CD of that album costs 12$ and it is a pretty rare vinyl. However, I've been hip for the band's music for about a week really and am sort of scared that this might be a sort of an impulse to buy it. But it is a good deal, isn't it? Help? Embarrassed
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2016 at 05:51
Check out what it costs on elsewhere, if it's a good deal buy it, you can always sell it again if you regret it - perhaps even with a profit.
lostrom
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 13:20
I know this topic is a little old, but as a 22 year old female, I would go with vinyl any day. Most of the vinyl that I have whether it is a new album I just bought or it is an album from the seventies, it sounds great to me. My brand x vinyl sound great, but there are exceptions like my yes CTTE vinyl does sound muddy, which I have been meaning to buy the new remastered vinyl. Anyways, once I got into Genesis, I began to buy vinyl. I am one of those who grew up listening to pop music and I just did digital everything.

Now I am pro vinyl because something about vinyl makes me feel much more involved with the music and getting into prog made me appreciate all the work that goes into the music. I love the big artworks, the feel of the vinyl, having to pull the vinyl out and drop the needle on it. It's a lot of fun, much more so than going on my Mp3 and playing each song for 30 seconds. Vinyl forces me to sit down and relax and just enjoy the album, yet I still will buy CDs because not everything is available on vinyl. Anyways, just how I feel about it.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 13:53
Originally posted by BunBun BunBun wrote:

I know this topic is a little old, but as a 22 year old female, I would go with vinyl any day. Most of the vinyl that I have whether it is a new album I just bought or it is an album from the seventies, it sounds great to me. My brand x vinyl sound great, but there are exceptions like my yes CTTE vinyl does sound muddy, which I have been meaning to buy the new remastered vinyl. Anyways, once I got into Genesis, I began to buy vinyl. I am one of those who grew up listening to pop music and I just did digital everything.

Now I am pro vinyl because something about vinyl makes me feel much more involved with the music and getting into prog made me appreciate all the work that goes into the music. I love the big artworks, the feel of the vinyl, having to pull the vinyl out and drop the needle on it. It's a lot of fun, much more so than going on my Mp3 and playing each song for 30 seconds. Vinyl forces me to sit down and relax and just enjoy the album, yet I still will buy CDs because not everything is available on vinyl. Anyways, just how I feel about it.

Welcome to PA ......
And that's how I feel at times in that it is fun to play vinyl when I have the time. But most of my listening the past few years is on the road to and from work so it's kind of hard to play vinyl in the car.Wink
I do get the chance on the weekends to play vinyl in our 'stereo room' in the basement and for that I play used vinyl from the old days because I don't spend money on reissues no matter what the quality is supposed to be regarding the sound.  I want to save the cash and hunt for that old obscure prog or psych vinyl at record shops near me for the fun of it,  but I'm not so into the 'vinyl experience' that I want to spend money on new issue vinyl. 
And as always this is a subjective thing.
Haquin
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:13
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Welcome to PA ......
And that's how I feel at times in that it is fun to play vinyl when I have the time. But most of my listening the past few years is on the road to and from work so it's kind of hard to play vinyl in the car.Wink
I do get the chance on the weekends to play vinyl in our 'stereo room' in the basement and for that I play used vinyl from the old days because I don't spend money on reissues no matter what the quality is supposed to be regarding the sound.  I want to save the cash and hunt for that old obscure prog or psych vinyl at record shops near me for the fun of it,  but I'm not so into the 'vinyl experience' that I want to spend money on new issue vinyl. 
And as always this is a subjective thing.

Thanks for the welcome,and I definitely hear you on the reissue thing. I really only buy reissues if I have to have the album and if I know I'm not going to find it in great shape for like 3-5 dollars. The money reason is part of why i havent yet bought that Yes CTTE reissue lol even though I keep thinking I will even after like a whole year. I think, gee, i only spent 3 dollars on the vinyl why spend an extra 25 dollars for the same album. But I am glad for some of the reissues like I got Banco's Darwin on album for about $14, i dont think Im likely to find one in a record shop around my area anytime soon.

Anyways, I have a lot of music on MP3 because it is nice to have it on the go or when im going somewhere, but i rarely ever listen to a whole album on my MP3. It can be hard to find time for vinyl listening, but since i dont have too many responsibilities im lucky in that i do get some good time throughout the week to listen to my vinyl collection
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:25
Both versions of "Yessongs" are awful. Drums on CD sound, using Keith Richards' words, like "sh*ts falling on the tin roof", while LP tortures my ears with extremely uncomfortable high and mid frequences.  
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 14:56
^ I haven't played 'Yessongs' in a long time......my vinyl copy is an original and interestingly that is a very common used album I see in the old vinyl stores. 
Apparently everyone must have bought that in the past and then sold it.
Wink
Haquin
BunBun View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2016 at 22:10
yessongs is a very common one, i literally see that album everywhere when i record shop
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 05:56
I used to see Tales on sale constantly in the record buying daze. One shop in a rather derogatory manner sold copies for 83 cents.

So now I find out Revealing Science has an intro. Hmm. Just when I thought my Japanese import would do...

I once put an "idea" out that recordings should be treated like software with free or low cost upgrades given the proof of a purchased copy.

This is why I would love everything in hi res audio. Complete beautiful sound, no interruptions, no clicks and no dodgy old records mastered from ??generation tape or some digital mastering by someone who is used to shrill sounds. So it's not fair to compare? Yes it is. With format availability, cost and easy free access then make the best audio available.

Perhaps some recordings should sound fine on CD rather than DVD but it's nice to find out. If people are so concerned about sound quality rather than using this as an idea to fetishize art work then we would have hi res audio. So long as the mastering is done well then a good digital copy, preferably hi res will do me best. Records? Tapes? For a while I was nearly sold on the idea until I tried it one last time and found the whole experience frankly dated.

The one thing that makes me laugh is some loving high quality remasters but only in mono. Now there is something unnatural  - unless it is Bob Dylan with guitar, vocal, harp, cymbals on his own. Mono is preferred to hideous stereo mastering but as you don't get that now and certainly not in prog rock.

Oh and while my system is far from the high end I do think the Genesis remasters sound superb. Foxtrot now sounds like the tape heads have been demagnetized.

Oh one other thing, the plural of vinyl is vinyl.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2016 at 17:00

Welcome! You should pop on over to the Vinyl thread and post your listens, we would like to know. Most of us post a pic of the album playing, you will see, but just a listing works too......Don't think we have any females posting vinyl, would be good to have diversity! Smile

You hit the nail on the head when you wrote "...something about vinyl makes me feel much more involved with the music..." Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>