Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg elitists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 20:00
There's nothing wrong with elitism. The root is 'elite' and it's a very good word.

Hierarchies of artistic merit can be decided on the basis of complexity alone, though it's not likely anyone will be truly so single-minded in this fashion. And they can be criticized for being so single-minded. It depends on what one regards as more desirable traits. Innovation is an important trait, and Pink Floyd leaves many bands in the dust with this (but that's also a sort of elitism, and, as I would say, not a bad thing either). So, one can most certainly value complexity more than innovation. For me it would be the other way around, perhaps. There is an array of different sorts of innovation too. I have no problem with people putting relative values on different bands. Calling it snobbery because you disagree is being exceedingly dismissive (but we all have to be dismissive about something - it's just a question of at what point when and where). When you talk to someone and find out what they value, you find they put a premium on this or that that you don't rate as high. You can certainly reject it, but you can also find it interesting in its own way.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2017 at 21:51
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by floyd4 floyd4 wrote:

I have friends that call Pink Floyd trash and "entry level music" and say that thrash metal is bad and simple because they can play the guitar riff easily. Obviously none of this makes sense, but if you've said this and still say these things, let me explain a few things.

1. There is no such thing as "entry level" music- Music is not an elite club, every band is on an equal level of being music-makers. 
2. Just because a riff is uncomplex, doesn't make a song stupid or simple- Atom Heart Mother had a pretty simple riff, Aqualung has a simple riff, In the Court of the Crimson king has a simple riff. (by riff I mean melody.)

If there's something I hate is complexity for the sake of complexity, that's why I can't resist more than 5 minutes of Gentle Giant.

Music must be complex only if complexity plays a role in the track and flows naturally, not just to say "Look how difficult to understand is what I play".

Gentle Giant is a good example. I actually used to think it was showing off. The band did not see it that way though. They weren't making music to say "Hey, look at us. We can do this and you can't. Na na na." Apparently that wasn't their motivation. I don't know if it was complexity for complexities sake either. For them it served the music. It needs to serve the music. That's the important thing. It's going to be subjective because one person's honest music is someone else's pomposity and pretentious bs. 

I'm sure it wasn't their intention to be complex for the sake of it, and it's not like GG haven't written some genuinely good songs, but I agree with Ivan in terms of how they sound to me. It's like scientific prog rock without much emotion. At times they sound awkward and contrived to me.

I guess that's why I loved their first two albums so much, while what I have heard since then became gradually less enjoyable. Those first two ones were warmer and with beautiful interesting tunes... after Octopus it's just weird noise to me, or at least, not enjoyable.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 06:39
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

OK, then. What is your explicit definition of "complexity?" Also site the hundreds of examples discussed on this site. I'm failing to locate them all. What in the world does the term "prestige" have to do with complexity?

It was an obvious hyperbole.  Secondly, prestige was a wrinkle another poster introduced into the topic to artificially devalue popularity, so you may please take that up with him.  I have no idea either what is the relevance of prestige.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 06:53

What this boils down to is how many listens does an album take to understand where it is coming from. Pink Floyd is one of the most popular bands of all time because they were able to mix prog, pop and rock elements together in totally unique ways. That was a great thing. I love PF albums that many hate because they weren't accessible enough. DSOTM was brilliant in that it managed to go to the central point where EVERYONE could get it. That's brilliant to be assured but not the height of complexity. If you are having trouble with that term try comparing high school algebra to advanced calculus. Music is a form of mathematics and unfortunately requires the same discipline of graduating from one form to the next. Like i said previously in some sort of way, you really need to go through a series of upgrades in your programming to understand music that is intended for advanced audiences. Let me make this perfectly clear: WE LOVE PINK FLOYD! WE WORSHIP ROGER WATERS! WE LOVE DAVID GILMOUR! ALL OF THEM! That's not what the discussion is about. Elitism is a valid term. It is reserved for unthinkable heights of advancement and despite the elements of jealousy nevertheless exists for those willing to work their friggin arses off to understand. It's the ultimate payoff in music if you have the gonads to go there

It is not at all clear that 'pure' prog is advanced calculus to Floyd's high school algebra.  Where is Gentle Giant's Ninth Symphony-eque magnum opus?  They are also ultimately rock songs.  And I don't mean just in terms of genre, but the scope.  There is nothing that GG's complexity helps them express that Pink Floyd cannot.   On the contrary, I would argue that Pink Floyd are able to express more moods than GG even with their relative lack of complexity.  Music may have a mathematical element but it is not just maths.   If you want to reduce it to that, that's your look out, but don't try to present it as some sort of objective truth that you can impose on me.  

FYI I have GG's albums among many other prog rock bands so I am sorry but I do 'get' the music contrary to your condescension and have heard them more times than I can possibly keep count of.  But the way you have attempted to define hierarchy in music itself is extremely narrow in scope and seems to drill down on what interests you (and which you seem to presume should be all  that should interest anyone else).  For example, when classical compositions have vocals, they are technically unimpeachable and performed at a level out of the reach of ordinary singers.  The same certainly cannot be said of GG's vocals.  It's nobody's fault if they chose to be satisfied with the mediocrity of Derek Shulman.   It is possible for a listener to ignore his vocals and focus on the music, which is what I do.  But you cannot argue that it is not a valid complaint for a listener to criticise Shulman's vocals because it's there and it sucks.   So, holistically speaking, GG is not high level art any more than Floyd because it is deeply flawed (whereas Floyd at least circa DSOTM/WYWH were, for lack of a better word, limited) and this goes for most prog/rock (either flawed and/or limited).  I specifically bring up vocals because the common excuse made on behalf prog is that being instrument-oriented music, it doesn't need strong vocals but this begs the question why classical or jazz find use for vocal virtuosos. 

And that is just my opinion and you will have to live with it. 

Edited by rogerthat - February 17 2017 at 07:00
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 06:56
Originally posted by Larkstongue41 Larkstongue41 wrote:

I don't mean to pass off as rude, but you must really mindlessly listen to music if you truly believe that Gentle Giant and Floyd stand on the same level composition-wise. 

LOL  No, you are not rude because of your choice of words (which I frankly couldn't care less about as they say more about you than me) but because you don't even bother to read properly.  What part of "loving GG about the same as Floyd" do you not get?  If you don't understand the difference between describing my 'level' of personal appreciation for a band as against attempting to rate the level of bands, you are better off not throwing around words like 'objective' since you don't even know the difference between objective and subjective.  
Shiny globe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 07:36
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

There is nothing that GG's complexity helps them express that Pink Floyd cannot.

Please PF fans who have stopped listening to GG for that very reason make yourself known!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 07:42
Originally posted by Shiny globe Shiny globe wrote:

There is nothing that GG's complexity helps them express that Pink Floyd cannot.

Please PF fans who have stopped listening to GG for that very reason make yourself known!

And what's that supposed to mean?
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 08:01

The title of the fifth track off GG's debut album, I guess Tongue.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 08:02
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

The title of the fifth track off GG's debut album, I guess Tongue.

lol, nice way of putting it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 08:04
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

[QUOTE=rogerthat][QUOTE=Larkstongue41]
OK, then. What is your explicit definition of "complexity?" 

I can't read music. Is this Chopsticks?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 08:29
Former GG fans having become PF fans for the quoted reason would prove you right...

Edited by Shiny globe - February 17 2017 at 08:29
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 08:41

Former GG fans having become PF fans for the quoted reason would prove you right...

No and besides there is no right or wrong.  Maybe the lot of you struggle with this ambiguity but I have no problem with it.  I don't HAVE to stop listening to GG and become a PF fan.  I am able to enjoy both perfectly fine and maybe that's because I am more concerned with the enjoyment thereof and less with whom to place on what pedestal. 
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 08:43

I think that "former GG fans" may favour PF over GG nowadays - or vice versa - but it seems unlikely to me that they stop listening to GG at once, as if they switch from supporting one football club to another. I have liked PF for almost 45 years now and GG came years later, but I still listen to both bands, even though PF is often quite simple in terms of composition while GG have experienced far more classical training and are masters of complex melodies full of counterpoint. But I am not impressed more by GG because they are more complex, or by PF because they are less (simplicity may in the end be more impressive than complexity), it's just that both bands resonate with me quite well.

Edited by someone_else - February 17 2017 at 08:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 08:46

No and besides there is no right or wrong.

I disagree. "There is nothing that GG's complexity helps them express that Pink Floyd cannot." is either right or wrong.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 08:50

I disagree. "There is nothing that GG's complexity helps them express that Pink Floyd cannot." is either right or wrong.

It is not because it is an opinion.  I clearly said it was my opinion.  I cannot be arsed to affix imo to each and every sentence, so suit yourself.  Further, it is not connected to your proposition at all.  Even if suppose GG truly cannot express emotions any better than PF, the way they express it may still appeal more to GG fans.  Or less to PF fans.  So on and so forth.   Even if a chef recommends a dish he claims is the best in the world to me, it is entirely possible I will stick to my comfort zone and not lap it up.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 08:57

I clearly said it was my opinion.

No...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 08:59

I clearly said it was my opinion.

No...

"And that is my opinion".  I wrote that in the post which you responded to, did I not?  If you don't want to read, don't react.  There is no obligation to and the sky won't fall on your head if you don't.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 09:10
What we easily forget in a forum in which the most popular area is polls is that music is not about competition but about communication and exploration. I'm all for being experimental and open minded and this also makes me open to musicians exploring mathematical complexity of composition and what's in it. On the other hand, musicians may try to find out what happens if they make their music ultra-simple or use free structures or focus on sound rather than "compositions" (all of which give some listeners food to feel smug about what "elite" stuff they're listening to, I know what I'm talking about Wink). What musicians try out may fail but even failure of an experiment should normally advance music as a whole. Then the term "failure" is always relative to the listener, relative to communication between musician and listener, and obviously some music may fail to communicate to me but may succeed to communicate to somebody else.

But there's no competitive element to it, at least not "by nature". Some musicians and listeners may put a competitive element into it saying that GG is more complex and less accessible than PF and therefore somehow music by/for an elite, but ultimately this strikes me as "non-musical" in that it doesn't have to do with the sound produced and how it resonates with any specific listener.

Also I'm all for trying out less well known bands after having found out about a famous one like Pink Floyd, in which case indeed Pink Floyd is something of an entry, but this has nothing to do with being "entry level"; the notion of level is extra-musical, as is the notion of elite.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 09:13
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

What we easily forget in a forum in which the most popular area is polls is that music is not about competition but about communication and exploration. I'm all for being experimental and open minded and this also makes me open to musicians exploring mathematical complexity of composition and what's in it. On the other hand, musicians may try to find out what happens if they make their music ultra-simple or use free structures or focus on sound rather than "compositions" (all of which give some listeners food to feel smug about what "elite" stuff they're listening to, I know what I'm talking about Wink). What musicians try out may fail but even failure of an experiment should normally advance music as a whole. Then the term "failure" is always relative to the listener, relative to communication between musician and listener, and obviously some music may fail to communicate to me but may succeed to communicate to somebody else.

But there's no competitive element to it, at least not "by nature". Some musicians and listeners may put a competitive element into it saying that GG is more complex and less accessible than PF and therefore somehow music by/for an elite, but ultimately this strikes me as "non-musical" in that it doesn't have to do with the sound produced and how it resonates with any specific listener.

Also I'm all for trying out less well known bands after having found out about a famous one like Pink Floyd, in which case indeed Pink Floyd is something of an entry, but this has nothing to do with being "entry level"; the notion of level is extra-musical, as is the notion of elite.

Well said and I couldn't agree more. 
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 09:26

What this boils down to is how many listens does an album take to understand where it is coming from. Pink Floyd is one of the most popular bands of all time because they were able to mix prog, pop and rock elements together in totally unique ways. That was a great thing. I love PF albums that many hate because they weren't accessible enough. DSOTM was brilliant in that it managed to go to the central point where EVERYONE could get it. That's brilliant to be assured but not the height of complexity. If you are having trouble with that term try comparing high school algebra to advanced calculus. Music is a form of mathematics and unfortunately requires the same discipline of graduating from one form to the next. Like i said previously in some sort of way, you really need to go through a series of upgrades in your programming to understand music that is intended for advanced audiences. Let me make this perfectly clear: WE LOVE PINK FLOYD! WE WORSHIP ROGER WATERS! WE LOVE DAVID GILMOUR! ALL OF THEM! That's not what the discussion is about. Elitism is a valid term. It is reserved for unthinkable heights of advancement and despite the elements of jealousy nevertheless exists for those willing to work their friggin arses off to understand. It's the ultimate payoff in music if you have the gonads to go there

It is not at all clear that 'pure' prog is advanced calculus to Floyd's high school algebra.  Where is Gentle Giant's Ninth Symphony-eque magnum opus?  They are also ultimately rock songs.  And I don't mean just in terms of genre, but the scope.  There is nothing that GG's complexity helps them express that Pink Floyd cannot.   On the contrary, I would argue that Pink Floyd are able to express more moods than GG even with their relative lack of complexity.  Music may have a mathematical element but it is not just maths.   If you want to reduce it to that, that's your look out, but don't try to present it as some sort of objective truth that you can impose on me.  

FYI I have GG's albums among many other prog rock bands so I am sorry but I do 'get' the music contrary to your condescension and have heard them more times than I can possibly keep count of.  But the way you have attempted to define hierarchy in music itself is extremely narrow in scope and seems to drill down on what interests you (and which you seem to presume should be all  that should interest anyone else).  For example, when classical compositions have vocals, they are technically unimpeachable and performed at a level out of the reach of ordinary singers.  The same certainly cannot be said of GG's vocals.  It's nobody's fault if they chose to be satisfied with the mediocrity of Derek Shulman.   It is possible for a listener to ignore his vocals and focus on the music, which is what I do.  But you cannot argue that it is not a valid complaint for a listener to criticise Shulman's vocals because it's there and it sucks.   So, holistically speaking, GG is not high level art any more than Floyd because it is deeply flawed (whereas Floyd at least circa DSOTM/WYWH were, for lack of a better word, limited) and this goes for most prog/rock (either flawed and/or limited).  I specifically bring up vocals because the common excuse made on behalf prog is that being instrument-oriented music, it doesn't need strong vocals but this begs the question why classical or jazz find use for vocal virtuosos. 

And that is just my opinion and you will have to live with it. 

I'll keep this short. You're right that it's your opinion and i totally respect anyone's opinion. But are you a musician? If you were you would understand the elements into music construction that can clearly be ranked hierarchically by complexity including but not limited to time signature deviations, polyrhythmic assembly, disharmony and dissonance, compositional meandering etc. Did i say that any particular band is better than another because of this? Absolutely not. It's all about subjective tastes but as far as comprehending the complexity of music can be measured 

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>