Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Music - the whitest music, ever!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 20:15
Oh.. not to mention that Europeans middle-class and upper-middle-class were potential ticket buyers for those Classical concerts from 19th Century onwards........

Edited by Tillerman88 - August 06 2017 at 20:16
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2017 at 21:32
There isn't one Eastern music tradition. I have no idea about Chinese music, for instance. But as far as Hindustani music goes, it's at least as old as 12th/13th century.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 00:40
When I first became aware of Genesis (1977) - I think that "Contemporary Rock" may have been a label I heard more - I think that "Progressive Rock" cam into mainstream parlance in the eighties - And as somebody has already suggested - European Classical Music has a very similar demographic to the seventies prog-giants of whom the author despises - Punk was powerful live - but I bet the author does not sit down and listen to the "Ramones" - bet he has "Luther Van-dross"  on low in the background while he sits there in his too-tight leather pants..

Edited by M27Barney - August 07 2017 at 00:40
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 03:59
I never listen to prog to get my groove as I consider jazz fusion it's own separate animal. I was more intrrested in the other articles listed in the Atlantic's home page like "Why do woman bully each other at work?" Now that was interesting.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 05:03
Originally posted by HemispheresOfXanadu HemispheresOfXanadu wrote:

Hendrix

Also Living Colour...who were, as a group, the "Hendrix" of the next generation...still think they should be listed in Prog Archives somewhere...a large percentage of their music is prog as far as I'm concerned but no one here wants to take that one board. 

Complex music is not owned by Caucasians. Let's not forget Miles Davis, John Coltrane, etc who are here on PA. To me they are not prog ...only my opinion...to me it's just complicated jazz.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 05:56
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I like prog because I like it, and I don't need any music critic to tell me if it's good or not. That's the bottom line. I'll spend my money in music I'll enjoy, not on a group of artists whose music doesn't mean anything to me. 

Agreed. Another idiot who doesn't get prog and feels like he has to sh*t all over the genre. 
There's nothing wrong with not liking a musical genre but why do they feel the need to crap all over what they don't like?
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 07:28
  [/QUOTE]

Agreed. Another idiot who doesn't get prog and feels like he has to sh*t all over the genre. 
There's nothing wrong with not liking a musical genre but why do they feel the need to crap all over what they don't like?
[/QUOTE]

A good question n it is based I think on social and popular cultural values. He uses music as his target.

For some obscure reason rock is the only form of music where the better one has to be at it the "worse" one is. It is supposed to be "of the people, for the people, by the people" but the ordinaries are nt going to be playing guitar for Yes, or Keyboards for Genesis. So there is the real progressive bit. It is rock moved out of the reach of the common rabble. And as such is isolated, it is a target for those trying to play social politics.

Prog has little or no image, any thing that says so is almost related to other genres psychedelia, metal, classical art imagery. In pop cultural terms it is now out of reach, and deliberately so by educated middle class white persons leaving the dull witted dunces to the likes of punk etc. And bearing that last in mind, who can blame anyone for a spot of resentment?

With various contemporary political occurrences (you know who I mean and where I mean) the easiest target in the world is the white dude. Add into that mix, the historic oppressed black people from all over the world most of whom, outside of crime behave in a manner (as far as I can see) that is quite the example to the rest of the world. Probably not just me.

So prog is, to coin a phrase, Easy Meat and you don't have to know much beyond a smattering of the top six to find yourself with a couple of thousand words and some filled editorial space, job done, pub to attend, mutual egos to massage and inferiority complexes to compensate.

This attacks music meaninglessly and tells us more about the author than anything. This sort of attack has been around since Hector was a pup and could have been cobbled together from any post 1977 pop scribe digitized blog.

Of course he's also wrong. You could for example tell him that he, as a racist has dismissed so many black Japanese and Latin contributions to prog rock that to erase such artistic endeavours from music is tantamount to cultural genocide and typical of the fascist ravings of the narrow-minded psychotics. You know the type; Intellectually inferior with a platform and a potato sized chip on his shoulder.

Really, the author is quite the ordinary. That label is not an irony like the rest of the above faux stereotype examples, nor is it a compliment.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 07:29
P.S. Blasted captcha the prog hating journo equivalent of site security.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 07:34
what's wrong with theCensored "whitest of white music"Ying Yang anyways ? TongueConfused

Should we feel ashamed of liking it? OuchPigEvil SmileNuke
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 07:55
um... I think this is the whitest music ever, and it's not even close

Nothing in prog rock as a genre is inherently white.  That is, there is no code, written or otherwise, to which the lyrics must conform.  If it so happens that the vast majority of its musicians and listeners are white, it is what it is, and no reason to revile it

Edited by kenethlevine - August 07 2017 at 07:56
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 09:33
I'd say hillbilly is the whitest of them allClown

Next to that is all the classical music. Tongue
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 09:53
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

The whitest instrument in bluegrass was invented by Africans: the banjo.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 09:58
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

The whitest instrument in bluegrass was invented by Africans: the banjo.

Exactly. Any kind of music with drums is derived from African rhythms as well. That's why Western classical music which deemphasizes percussion is the most white music ever. 

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 10:49
The guy is saying we should be ashamed. I say pal, Look At Yourself. Os should I say, Yo' self...

One finger salute in apt respect.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 13:14
Let me get all conspiracy theory on ya. Perhaps this is a C.I.A. stunt to scare people away from complex music. It's a well known scientific fact that music is the only activity in life that uses all of the brain's functions simultaneously. Being a musician creates a neural network like no other. Since they lost control of the music industry per se, now they are creating articles like this to scare off potential listeners. Or more likely it's just some schmuck who doesn't have a clue what he's talking about LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 13:42
Lazy Journalism - and of course mentions Emerson with his knife attacking his Hammond and the Persian Rug of Lake! He didn't mention Wizards hats, capes or knights on ice so he didn't dig up all the clichés he could have found to confirm his small-minded bias....
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2017 at 22:49
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

um... I think this is the whitest music ever, and it's not even close

Nothing in prog rock as a genre is inherently white.  That is, there is no code, written or otherwise, to which the lyrics must conform.  If it so happens that the vast majority of its musicians and listeners are white, it is what it is, and no reason to revile it

Thank you for this, excellent post!  

This is a friend of mine, Mychael Pollard....he loves prog, especially music of Emerson and Wakeman! 

M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 00:32
Political correctness seeping into a person's choice of music.....Progressive Rock fan = white fascist...Angry
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 03:11
And classical fan = white nazi....... the only one that progresses forever!   hahahahah
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2017 at 03:13
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

There isn't one Eastern music tradition. I have no idea about Chinese music, for instance. But as far as Hindustani music goes, it's at least as old as 12th/13th century.

Been reading about Hindustani Classical Music , interesting stuff indeed.

Edited by Tillerman88 - August 08 2017 at 03:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>