Poll Question: Pick your favourite
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
40 [50.63%]
39 [49.37%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 14:24
I feel like the prog rock schizm is about to happen. The night of the long songs....People with sauce pans on their heads and newly sharpened wooden spoons will be prowling the site. Boring old farts who like dad prog will be mercilessly persecuted till they bugger off to the far corner of the internet...

Edited by M27Barney - October 26 2018 at 14:25
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 15:06
to begin? Have some of you all been living under a rock. It has been going on for years.

there is a reason this site is dying...  the schism is not about to happen. It happened years ago.. 

the best single post ever recorded on a prog rock forum for he nailed it.. and it explains why this forum is dying. More so than M@X's general f**kery.... or Ian and Raff's insidous promoting of pots and pans music.

there is a reason we as first generation collabs were bombardeed and hounded by bands wanting entry into the hallowed halls of PA's .. now today.. they simply don't give a f**k.  It is a new world out there and 'prog fan' worshipping your classic bands and their modern retreads are a dying breed...

say it again brother.... from 2011 for those who simply love the music.. but don't understand it.. or what is going on with it.

Jacob said: 
I'm just going to chime in on the original post, dunno what's been discussed over all these pages. 
I whole-heartedly applaud every prog festival organizer who has ever walked the earth for their amazing contribution to the entire prog revival. Without people like Rob and Chad and Greg and Steve and George and the rest, a lot of us in prog bands would simply be nowhere. Progfest and NEARfest in particular have been essential to the growth of Scandinavian prog in the 90's and noughties. 

It just seems that the time has come now for prog to find a new way. The festivals have become, as was mentioned, nostalgia get-togethers. They have been artificial life-lines for stagnant acts, rather than fertile grounds for new, exciting acts. And those organizers who have tried to feature some new blood have been punished by a rather backwards-looking audience. As with NEARfest this year. I don't think blaming either the audience, the organizers or the bands has any virtue. What I think, is that the prog umbrella for too long has tried to shelter two very different things under its shade: On the one hand, the nostalgia scene, which features both the old acts that are still around, like Yes and whatever Italian band you care to mention, and "old-new" bands like Flower Kings and Transatlantic - bands that, though newish, cater mostly to very conservative audiences. On the other hand, the new progressive scene, which could include anything from The Mars Volta to Gösta Berlings Saga, and which really isn't a scene at all, especially considering that many of the bands themselves have no awareness of being part of a "prog scene". These two strands really are extremely different. There's plenty of people with a love for both (including, to a certain extent, myself). But to throw the typical fans of both scenes (the former, ageing, follicle-challenged geezers - bless'em all!, the latter young, dynamic listeners brought up to endless eclecticism and irreverence to genres - bless them too!), might just be too much of a stretch. Maybe it's time for a divorce. Let the geezers have their nostalgia-fests, and let the "new prog" bands get out on the regular rock circuit and compete with any other rock genres out there rather than put them in the geriatric ward of "prog" where the smell of old age will make them unpalatable to both the rock media and the major labels. No disrespect to either!!! :-) 

And as an a propos: Prog labels that sign new, fresh and exciting bands should be careful how they market and present the bands. Selling them in the traditional way ("washes of mellotrons, recall Eloy in their heyday, rave reception at Bolivia Art Rock Fest (BARF)") will, quite simply, sell them short. It's a new world out there. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 15:30
Heh...can't we all just get along......those who like the classic old prog and those who like the newer obnoxious stuff?

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 15:34
Last day to vote
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 15:46
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Heh...can't we all just get along......those who like the classic old prog and those who like the newer obnoxious stuff?

and they exist.... but the problem is those like Hercules and his ilk that find anything that sounds remotely progressive to be ... what was teh world used...  annoying.

No problem but again speaks to the heart of the real problem.. and the fracture point. Those who care only to get their nostaligia freak on.. and those who love the genre in its truest and most valid form.  Truly progressive music that progressess, evolves and challenges the f**king listeners. Some as Jacob noted love both.. but make no mistake.. there are plenty on both sides that dismiss anything that challenges them ... or more with the younger set.. anything that sounds like the sh*t they heard, and done far better, 30 or 40 years earlier.  Sites like this, festivals like Nearfest tried to stuff lovers of both ends under one umbrella but it really wasn't a viable long term success story which is why the 'prog revival' of the naughts has come to such a crashing end in the teens of the new century. The divorce he forsaw.. happened.. which was illustrated by my point about the bsnds simply not caring about being added to this site.. which trust me.. was not what we had to deal with back in the early days of this site when they sure as hell did care 

It really is two different camps out there.. a few of us love both.. but make no mistake.. we are the minority here.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 17:04
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

;)

I like a lot of classic prog (Camel, Genesis, Gryphon, Tull, Focus, Rush, Strawbs, Rush, to name a few), and a lot of new stuff (Haken, Mostly Autumn, Big Big Train, Riverside, Moon Safari, Lazuli, to name a few).

It's just the intolerant comments of some because I don't happen to worship certain genres and certain bands, which almost imply that I'm wierd or defective in some way.
Never used to happen when Snow Dog, Hugues Chantraine, and the old crew were around. We respected each other too much to disparage each others' tastes.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 17:08
yo sh*t for brains.. you opened this can of worms by blaming Avant fans for the state of the site. 

Don't go playing the victim here. I know them better than you... while you were doing whatever you were doing I was working side by side with them as collabs....and they weren't the nice guys either when idiots came around. It was a charm of the site back in the day. 

They would have treated your stupid posts more roughly than Ian, Raff and me have.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 18:12
Jan Akkerman! Thijs Van Leer!

I brought Focus within 4 (28/32). Come on Focus Fans! Vote. I probably listen to Focus lately nowadays more than any other band, aside from Hackett maybe.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2018 at 18:26
Love both bands but my vote goes to Focus.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 02:20
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

yo sh*t for brains.. you opened this can of worms by blaming Avant fans for the state of the site. 

Don't go playing the victim here. I know them better than you... while you were doing whatever you were doing I was working side by side with them as collabs....and they weren't the nice guys either when idiots came around. It was a charm of the site back in the day. 

They would have treated your stupid posts more roughly than Ian, Raff and me have.

F**k off Micky, you're the main problem. I find you utterly offensive and unfunny.

Right, that's me off.

A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 03:02
^hm I don't mind anyone loathing the music I love. I prefer posters with opinions as I have opinions myself. I guess I enjoy disagreeing with Hercules' posts as he seems to know the difference between sl*g.ing off a band or a genre and personal insults. Replying "yo sh*t for brains" because someone sees or remembers things differently is not cool.      
GrafHaarschnitt View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 04:02
I think this Jacob guy is right with the promoting aspect. I hate it whenever I hear all those new and sometimes very fresh bands get compared to these old stinkers (I mean that in a nice way, I still love them but how could they be fresh, anyways). Most times this leads to me searching for other bands with more interesting description and only some times I give the ones mentioned above another chance (you get it? Another chance is necessary before the first listen, its so annoying) just to find out they arenīt even remotely close to the dinosaurs in their overall vision and that I actually would have found something new and refreshing if someone had praised it in a more exciting manner. Those guys marketing bands like this should read a volta review. They always make you hungry for the adventure. Could even help giving Prog a better connotation again. Think retro bands should get their own archives why not make up a genre called "retro - rock" and put them there so the retro fans get the nostalgia they want (and yeah I also mean non progressive ones). Because retro isnīt progressive. At least we should have a category thats retro - prog (because it is still progressive rock) so I donīt have to pick them out of the eclectic prog section, especially, which gets kind of on my nerves when I want to find a nice eclectone. Take a look at this german side for instance: http://www.babyblaue-seiten.de/index.php?albumId=550&content=review
They use the retro prog banner for a long time now.
The scissor is more and more opening. We have Chenille on one side and Camel on the other (In between there are Picchio dal Pozzos and Höyry Kones... I know that its not that 2dimensional) and that really is a broad scope.
Morningrise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morningrise Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 06:21
Poll's over. PFM advances to semifinals. Final score: 34-29
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 09:05
I know it's too late but I went with Focus anyway. 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 11:05
Ad hominem insults are for those who have nothing intelligent to say...I have tried to appreciate some of the more eclectic bands of the first wave. Like GG and VDGG but I find that the music annoys me the more I listen to it. So the true avant garde acts are just for people who like to put an angry wasp in their ear and get off on the buzz so to speak...
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2018 at 12:26
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Ad hominem insults are for those who have nothing intelligent to say...I have tried to appreciate some of the more eclectic bands of the first wave. Like GG and VDGG but I find that the music annoys me the more I listen to it. So the true avant garde acts are just for people who like to put an angry wasp in their ear and get off on the buzz so to speak...

Or people who just have different tastes than you. Ermm
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kotro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 02:47
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Or people who just have different tastes than you. Ermm

Ridiculous. Everyone knows arguing on the Internet is a zero-sum game. LOL
Bigger on the inside.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 04:19
But isnīt that strange. I mean noone really has got a face to risk. Why shouldnīt that lead to a more open and objective discussion. Makes me sad. That it isnīt that way round shows that a discussion is more often based on who has the most authority or presence. On the internet we could be free to win or lose and noone would care. But maybe therein lies the problem, objectivity can only be forced.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 05:18
Clearly the niche genre of the already obscure Musical genre of prog has a pull that some people cannot
Resist. I have an acquaintance who only.listens to 78s of old American slave music...That's about as obscure a musical taste as you can get...and very narrow..but that's the buzz for him..Only a handful of people in the world have the same taste...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GrafHaarschnitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2018 at 06:41
You may be partly right, but I think itīs only natural for some Prog listeners to grow into this avant type of music, cause many of them want to be challenged especially the ones who like to analyze their music but not necessarily those. Some of us internet guys are pretty nerdy guys and spend a lot of time on music so we cannot stay in one place all those years. And when I think about it Avant is very challenging even after years, so I guess that might be the case.

Of course on the other hand we have a more romantic type of prog listener, who likes the "Sturm und Drang" qualities of prog. The strive for more than ordinary live, that is so essential to the beginning of prog.

But I also guess some of the listeners of ordinary prog only (sorry for that itīs not offensively minded) would maybe like to achieve finding worth in avant but I guess they simply canīt because it uses stimuli that this person just canīt bear. Growling, Hectic, Dissonance, Discordance and Variance of Instruments in an unrelatable manner.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>