Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introduce me to Krautrock

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2019 at 06:15
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

but those movies by Jose and Adele will help you understand the music. You'll learn something..  and those performance clips? Holy sh*t.. been buried unseen for 4 decades.  

AND, Werner Herzog and Wim Wenders probably have more stuff in their closets that they have forgotten. Remember that one of the first AD2 films was done by Werner Herzog, and Wim Wenders came up via theater and film with many of the folks that are now known as "krautrock" ... and he likely has CAN in his closets and probably other bands ... how else do you think most beginning film makers can do something ... when there is such a vibrant scene happening? Film the band that lives next door ... and such!

The part that is weird for me, is how the story goes that Florian Fricke had a whole bunch of tapes in the closet with all kinds of music, and that Werner would grab one, and take it home, and show up next week and say ... I got a film with your music in it!

You and I would do that, I'm sure!Smile
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2019 at 08:10
Michael Hoenig - Departure from the Northern Wasteland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuM_vOBIc6s
Davels666 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davels666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 11:24
Krautrock is an unknown world for me: but if I say "Dom" + "Popol Vuh" + "Pink Floyd" (Ummagumma studio side) what comes out of it?
AnneLeighton View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnneLeighton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2019 at 17:57
Can someone also tell us if "Kraut" is an offensive term, meaning "Nazi,"please?  I have a very German friend that says it is politically incorrect. Please advise.
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 05:47
Originally posted by AnneLeighton AnneLeighton wrote:

Can someone also tell us if "Kraut" is an offensive term, meaning "Nazi,"please?  I have a very German friend that says it is politically incorrect. Please advise.
The term "Kraut", short for sauerkraut, a food that many Germans love, has it's source as a nickname for Germans during their past that was linked to their regime under Nazi rule, which existed from 1933-1945, and it's use intensified during the Second World War (1939-1945). It, of course, is an offensive term to German people.
            Yes, it is still used, but I get the feeling that the term has lost some of it's sting, as Germans have rebuilt their country and put Nazism behind them. 
          In terms of it's use in music as in "krautrock" I think the word is more tolerable for Germans now, but there are still cases of ones that don't appreciate it, really.
                  Though I am not German, one of my best friends is, and he doesn't get too offended by the term krautrock. But some would.
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 05:50
Same as "limey", really. 

Although I'm too posh to be offended by Colonial types. I just have the butler shoot them.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 06:07
Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

The term "Kraut", short for sauerkraut, a food that many Germans love, has it's source as a nickname for Germans during their past that was linked to their regime under Nazi rule, which existed from 1933-1945, and it's use intensified during the Second World War (1939-1945). It, of course, is an offensive term to German people.
            Yes, it is still used, but I get the feeling that the term has lost some of it's sting, as Germans have rebuilt their country and put Nazism behind them. 
          In terms of it's use in music as in "krautrock" I think the word is more tolerable for Germans now, but there are still cases of ones that don't appreciate it, really.
                  Though I am not German, one of my best friends is, and he doesn't get too offended by the term krautrock. But some would.

This day and age, specially in America, the social media is making a big ... really big ... thing about the use of any word in the dictionary. It doesn't matter what it is.

Language, per history, changes and the meanings of many things change and become something else ... I'm not sure that everyone in Germany thinks badly of this and that, since even AD2 made fun of "krautrock", and a few political figures as well ... and it's not "La Krautoma" is not making fun of it all even more ... but in the end, it's the art and the music that matters, and us concentrating on one word that has nothing to do with the real thing ... is a sad reflection on our appreciation of an art form.

I'm from the days of Burroughs, Handke, Suzuki and many others ... you throw the letters and the words up in the air, and they fall ... differently and their usage changes. Thus, us sticking to one meaning and locking a word into it, is like suggesting/saying ... that in a few years, half the Merrian-Webster Dictionary will have about one half of its content as words that are no longer used ... in the end, we're just being silly, and think that we are insulting this and that, when in reality, we're just being opinionated.

In the words of Mississipi Charles Bevel, the best singer I have ever heard in my life, he said a few things in between his songs that were ... power to the highest degree ... "yes, I'm black, and I'm free. No one tells me what to play, and no record company can tell me which note to sing, and how I want to sing it." ... "I'm really not black ... I'm a human just like you" ... "I'm not a victim of anything. I'm free and I'm me."

I say ... applaud the greatness in folks and their art ... it doesn't matter to me if you call me this or that ... I'm not that at all ... I'm me, not your idea of me!

Edited by moshkito - February 28 2019 at 06:10
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2019 at 06:21
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by presdoug presdoug wrote:

This day and age, specially in America, the social media is making a big ... really big ... thing about the use of any word in the dictionary. It doesn't matter what it is.

Language, per history, changes and the meanings of many things change and become something else ... I'm not sure that everyone in Germany thinks badly of this and that, since even AD2 made fun of "krautrock", and a few political figures as well ... and it's not "La Krautoma" is not making fun of it all even more ... but in the end, it's the art and the music that matters, and us concentrating on one word that has nothing to do with the real thing ... is a sad reflection on our appreciation of an art form.

I'm from the days of Burroughs, Handke, Suzuki and many others ... you throw the letters and the words up in the air, and they fall ... differently and their usage changes. Thus, us sticking to one meaning and locking a word into it, is like suggesting/saying ... that in a few years, half the Merrian-Webster Dictionary will have about one half of its content as words that are no longer used ... in the end, we're just being silly, and think that we are insulting this and that, when in reality, we're just being opinionated.

In the words of Mississipi Charles Bevel, the best singer I have ever heard in my life, he said a few things in between his songs that were ... power to the highest degree ... "yes, I'm black, and I'm free. No one tells me what to play, and no record company can tell me which note to sing, and how I want to sing it." ... "I'm really not black ... I'm a human just like you" ... "I'm not a victim of anything. I'm free and I'm me."

I say ... applaud the greatness in folks and their art ... it doesn't matter to me if you call me this or that ... I'm not that at all ... I'm me, not your idea of me!
Thanks for that, mosh. You have made some really good and important points. Bravo!Thumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123