Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Bands With Violin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: There are many great ones. Another silly impossible poll. Pick favs.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [3.38%]
10 [6.76%]
20 [13.51%]
43 [29.05%]
31 [20.95%]
14 [9.46%]
25 [16.89%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2019 at 13:32
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

So I was grooving on Bent Knee and this popped into my head as a fun poll.  Just looking at the artists I have put up it is impossible to choose a favorite.  So I'm gonna allow multiple votes. 

Clap Had to vote for...everybody!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2019 at 13:33
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I voted for everyone except Dixie Dregs!

Really? Why not?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2019 at 13:38
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

and Curved Air violinist Darryl Way formed his own band Wolf which recorded 3 albums

I love his first solo record Concerto for Electric Violin. (Ian Mosley plays drums on the final piece.)
SquonkHunter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SquonkHunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2019 at 17:52
Many good choices but only Curved Air had Sonja Kristina. Love that voice.
"You never had the things you thought you should have had and you'll not get them now..."
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2019 at 18:40
Where's my beloved Horslips? Charles O'Connor is/was absolutely brilliant on violin on all of their albums.

Here's the magnificent King Of The Fairies.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slartibartfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 00:05
I'll add the other nominees shortly.  I had forgotten about Horslips.  I have a couple of LPs but never added any CDs to my collection.

Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 00:45
Dixie Dregs and Kansas
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 01:15
Could have voted for everybody but if it's violin that stands out, love the playing of Darryl Way in Curved Air.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 07:08
Originally posted by iluvmarillion iluvmarillion wrote:

Could have voted for everybody but if it's violin that stands out, love the playing of Darryl Way in Curved Air.

NP: VIVALDI ... with Cannons! (of course!) ... both versions!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 08:06
Quella Vecchia Locanda
Asturias
Kansas
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 08:30
This is a good one, several fine options here, I went with the Dregs. 

Edited by Argo2112 - May 06 2019 at 08:31
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 11:02
Conventum
tboyd1802 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tboyd1802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2019 at 12:57
Crimson...
He neither drank, smoked, nor rode a bicycle. Living frugally, saving his money, he died early, surrounded by greedy relatives. It was a great lesson to me -- John Barrymore
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2019 at 15:59
Never listened to 
Bent Knee and Dixie Dregs.

Mahavisnu ok, they are great but… I need time to listen better…

UK: good albums but they are not the early and genuine prog… they sound like already listened…

Kansas? I know only some songs by them but, in my opinion, they are not at the same level of the other bands in this poll. I cant say that Kansas is a great band. Good, ok, but not great. I cant compare Kansas with King Crismon….

So, I voted for Kc and Curved Air.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 09:24
It's difficult to argue against anything Jean-Luc Ponty contributed to (as good as Jerry Goodman, Mark O'Connor, Eddie Jobson, and Geoff Richardson were). The award winning fiddler cut his teeth going toe-to-toe with Stéphane Grappelli!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 09:27
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

It's difficult to argue against anything Jean-Luc Ponty contributed to (as good as Jerry Goodman, Mark O'Connor, Eddie Jobson, and Geoff Richardson were). The award winning fiddler cut his teeth going toe-to-toe with Stéphane Grappelli!

Stephane Grappelli actually passed his violin on to Jean-Luc Ponty, who in turn passed it on to Didier Lockwood.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Chaser View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2019 at 09:39
Not much of a Kansas fan. David Cross is excellent but I'm going with Jerry Goodman of Mahavishnu Orchestra. Awesome violin work!
Songs cast a light on you
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 06:53
I chose Curved Air even before I saw who was included in the poll. Smile
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 07:04
Voted Jerry Goodman and Jean-Luc Ponty but would've had to think harder if you'd have included ASTURIAS, BELIEVE, and, especially, KBB. Akihisa Tsuboy is AMAZING!!!!
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2019 at 07:11
I'm going with Bent Knee. I've been really enjoying their music lately.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>