Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Favourite Queen Album

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite Queen album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [3.67%]
34 [31.19%]
19 [17.43%]
32 [29.36%]
2 [1.83%]
2 [1.83%]
3 [2.75%]
3 [2.75%]
2 [1.83%]
3 [2.75%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [0.92%]
4 [3.67%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 03:44
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Sheer Heart Attack although Innuendo deserves a special mention and was a brilliant last 'Hurrah' for Freddie. Queen II is vastly overrated although I do love Seven Seas Of Rye.

Queen II overrated!!? Each to his own, I guess. If I had to pick one Queen album that was slightly overrated I would say Night at the Opera (but not by much!) and one underrated album would be News of the World.

Thumbs Up
well said!
Libor10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Libor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 16:24
I don't think Queen II is overrated. Maybe here on Progarchives its rating is higher but it's because it's Queen's most prog record IMO and this is prog rock fansite. Standard music listener (even casual Queen listener) usually knows almost nothing about it. Small amount could know Seven Seas but that's all.
ANatO is considered Queen best effort and in fact it is true. They develop their music making those three albums and here they've done almost perfect record. I consider it Queen's most polished album with great variety of material which - strangely - holds really good together. Anyway - even as I love ANatO - Queen II is higher on my scale.
Speaking about News Of The World and Jazz - I like both these record a lot - more than a little bit boring A Day At The Races (they tried to repeat ANatO success but there's missing something). But the true is Queen did their best on the first four albums.

Edited by Libor10 - October 31 2019 at 16:24
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 17:22
Originally posted by Libor10 Libor10 wrote:

I don't think Queen II is overrated. Maybe here on Progarchives its rating is higher but it's because it's Queen's most prog record IMO and this is prog rock fansite. Standard music listener (even casual Queen listener) usually knows almost nothing about it. Small amount could know Seven Seas but that's all.
ANatO is considered Queen best effort and in fact it is true. They develop their music making those three albums and here they've done almost perfect record. I consider it Queen's most polished album with great variety of material which - strangely - holds really good together. Anyway - even as I love ANatO - Queen II is higher on my scale.
Speaking about News Of The World and Jazz - I like both these record a lot - more than a little bit boring A Day At The Races (they tried to repeat ANatO success but there's missing something). But the true is Queen did their best on the first four albums.

I agree that some of Queen's best works were on their first four albums, although I haven't decided which of those four albums I'm voting for yet. Smile
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 20:10
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I'd be curious to hear from the folks to voted for Hot Space.  Please enlighten me.  Was it the single Under Pressure that swayed your vote?   Did the immediacy of the disco energy convince you?

That has 3 votes and News of the World none?? Never ever thought I'd see the day Hot Space was considered the better album lol.. but the majority has spoken.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 20:20
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I'd be curious to hear from the folks to voted for Hot Space.  Please enlighten me.  Was it the single Under Pressure that swayed your vote?   Did the immediacy of the disco energy convince you?

That has 3 votes and News of the World none?? Never ever thought I'd see the day Hot Space was considered the better album lol.. but the majority has spoken.
You're not the only one who's surprised which way the voting has gone, although I suspect it may have something to do with me saying I didn't expect the "Hot Space" album to receive any votes at the beginning of this thread. Smile
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2019 at 20:22
^ Ahhh, mystery solved.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 11:18
Queen II gets the nod.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 11:29

Sheer Heart Attack although Innuendo deserves a special mention and was a brilliant last 'Hurrah' for Freddie. Queen II is vastly overrated although I do love Seven Seas Of Rye.

Queen II overrated!!? Each to his own, I guess. If I had to pick one Queen album that was slightly overrated I would say Night at the Opera (but not by much!) and one underrated album would be News of the World.
It looks like Queen's "News of the World" album has been underrated here at ProgArchives too, seeing as it hasn't received any votes so far. Smile 
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2019 at 18:23
^ That's definitely underrated. It's a really good album, and very eclectic.
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 18:27
I agree with the results of this poll.

I consider Queen II and Opera the best albums by the Queen, almost masterpieces. Then Jazz is good.

But even Kind of Magic is good and Innuendo is another album near to be a masterpiece, the best of the last musical phase of the Queen.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2019 at 18:45
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

It looks like Queen's "News of the World" album has been underrated here at ProgArchives too, seeing as it hasn't received any votes so far. Smile 

progaholic6 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaholic6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2019 at 08:20
A night at the opera. The only reason they deserve to be on this site
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2020 at 11:10
Queen ii 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 08:51
I own all the queen albums up to a day at the races which I disliked so much I took back to the record shop for a refund. Queen 2 is a great album but ANATO is superb. I think the enormity of bohemian rhapsody has created a bit of a backlash toward the album.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 09:28
This is another poll that's been around so long, I'd forgotten I was the one who originally posted it. Smile
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 12:13
A Night At the Opera all the way. It's one of the best rock albums ever made in my estimation, and without doubt their most cohesive work.

Interesting btw. to see 3 votes for Hot Space. I though most people hate that album.

Edited by The Anders - May 31 2020 at 12:14
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 12:29
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

A Night At the Opera all the way. It's one of the best rock albums ever made in my estimation, and without doubt their most cohesive work.

Interesting btw. to see 3 votes for Hot Space. I though most people hate that album.
I have a feeling that three surprise votes may have gone to the Hot Space album because I said at the beginning of the thread I didn't expect anyone would vote for it. Smile
Woon Deadn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Woon Deadn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 13:22
To my mind, the worst Queen's album is definitely The Miracle. The Game as the whole album looks to me very poor, although it contains numerous hits. 

I can easily understand that somebody votes for Hot Space. I actually like all the tracks except Staying Power and Body Language on it. I would not call it the best, but it is in my Top 10, I'd say. It's, once again, the question of the limits of great music. If it sounds pleasant and unique enough, I like it. 
Favourite Band: Gentle Giant
Favourite Writer: Robert Sheckley
Favourite Horror Writer: Jean Ray
Favourite Computer Game: Tiny Toon - Buster's Hidden Treasure (Sega Mega Drive/Genesis)
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 14:14
I personally find Hot Space OK, even Body Language which actually fascinates me quite a lot even though the over-sexualized lyrics and vocal performance puts me off somewhat. But one needs to accept the album on its own premises to enjoy it. It's a more of a pop and dance album than a rock album, and there is a lot of inspiration from black music like soul and funk. Some songs sound a bit uninspired (Dancer, Back Chat, Put Out the Fire), but there is also a catchy pop tune like Calling All Girls, and of course Under Pressure. Cool Cat is quite an underrated track. Still, it's not an album I listen to very often.
Schecter View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2020 at 17:02
Has to be Queen II for me.  Closely followed by 'Sheer Heart Attack', however.  
Back when Queen loved their suites!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>