Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Psychedelicatessen

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 19:35
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Let's not forget acoustic psych....

Wow! Tim Buckley. I have his first five albums in a box set, including his very strange and experimental "Lorca" album, which was a complete departure from his earlier Psych-Folk albums.

It might be worth creating a whole new thread for weird and wonderful Psych-Folk too, as that's another genre I'm really into, along with Psychedelic Soul and Psychedelic Pop too, or just about anything psychedelic at all really, apart from drugs. Wink

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 18 2019 at 19:39
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 19:39
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Yes, he died in Memphis, not far from where I was living in Nashville at the time.  Thinking of the Prog in Unexpected Places (I think that's the name of the thread), I was working at the Nashville Whole Foods Market and a fairly young person came through my line with a tattoo of the Love logo on his arm.  I asked him why he chose that tattoo.  He said his older brother had died and that was his favourite band, he commemorated his brother with the tattoo.  

I rediscovered Psychedelic Rock after I went online in 2010. I was too young to know much about it in the Summer of Love year of 1967, as I was only 7 or 8 years old at the time. Before 2010, the only two Psychedelic Rock bands I was aware of were The Doors & Jefferson Airplane. Now though, I have album covers by well over 400 Psychedelic Rock bands in my database, with all sorts of weird and wonderful names, like The Five Day Week Straw People, for instance, or the equally bizarre-sounding Orange Alabaster Mushroom, to name just two. Smile
  People will get tired of my story.  I was born in 1958, but my sisters were 7 and 8 years older and my mother loved music as well, so there was a wide variety played in my home, from the time I could remember (and way before).  My sisters worked at The Bank in Torrance, CA, they passed out posters up on Sunset and Hollywood Blvd for free admission to shows, The Bank booked many of the same bands as The Fillmore up north of us.  I was exposed at a young age to all of the popular (and underground) music of the time and my sisters had very eclectic taste.  I was poring over album covers, reading liner notes and reading hippie newspapers as much as I was poring over books, of all of the psych bands as they were emerging, and also the earlier ones like The Seeds, Love, etc.  We spent every summer on the way to my great aunt's ranch in Mendocino, and on the way always stopped in San Francisco, and explored the Haight from 1966 onwards each year.  So I remember it all very clearly, being so young.  Many people think it was all about drugs and, yes, there was that element.  But it was about a lot more and was truly an intellectual endeavour as well, until greedy people got involved.

Edited by Snicolette - November 18 2019 at 19:53
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2019 at 19:47
The only two Psychedelic Rock songs I'd heard before I went online in 2010 were "Light My Fire" and "Riders on the Storm" by The Doors. I don't ever remember anything by Jefferson Airplane ever being played on the radio. I only heard "White Rabbit" and "Somebody To Love" for the first time after I went out and bought a 2-CD Jefferson Airplane Greatest Hits album about 20 years ago, but I've since bought all of their studio albums and all of the albums by The Doors too, apart from the last two albums which The Doors made after Jim Morrison died in a Paris hotel room in July 1971.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 14:12
THE DOORS - Live at the Hollywood Bowl (1968)

tamijo_II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tamijo_II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 14:21
Savage Rose on Danish TV late 60's 

Same person as this profile:
Tamijo
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 14:46
This one often gets overlooked......because they weren't a psych band....

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 14:56
One of my favorite obscure psych lp's from the old days...

Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 15:05
^^ I love that album! Gandalf is one of the first albums I ordered from Amazon, back in 2011.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 15:28
Just curious.  Did you know that "Psychedelicatessen" is also the title of a 1994 release by the British progressive metal band Threshold?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 15:35
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Just curious.  Did you know that "Psychedelicatessen" is also the title of a 1994 release by the British progressive metal band Threshold?

No, I didn't know that. Psychedelicatessen was the name of an online radio station that played non-stop Psychedelic Rock, but sadly, the website now appears to have gone permanently offline. Confused
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 15:41
A UK psych classic......

Edited by dr wu23 - November 19 2019 at 15:42
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 15:44
Another classic...well known here..I'm sure...

Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 15:47
Last but not least...about as obscure as it gets.....

Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 15:52
^^ I have both of those albums by July and Tomorrow on CD, but I haven't heard of  Tintern Abbey before, although if I had heard of them before, they wouldn't be quite so obscure. Smile

Tomorrow was one of the 20 obscure British prog albums I reviewed recently. I would have reviewed the July album too, but I don't think it's in the Prog Archives database.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 19 2019 at 15:55
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 16:32
If you want some true freaky psych try this..

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 16:58
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^^ I have both of those albums by July and Tomorrow on CD, but I haven't heard of  Tintern Abbey before, although if I had heard of them before, they wouldn't be quite so obscure. Smile

Tomorrow was one of the 20 obscure British prog albums I reviewed recently. I would have reviewed the July album too, but I don't think it's in the Prog Archives database.

The Tintern stuff is on psych collections on cd...the 45 rpm is very expensive. 
They did 2 tracks I know of Vacuum Cleaner and Beeside.
I have several Brit and US psych collections on cd of rare and obscure things.
Haquin
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 17:38
I still remember hearing this for the first time, and was blown away by the powerful lyrics (supplied by Hoyt Axton, of all people) and John Kay's angry growl by which he delivered them...

Edited by The Dark Elf - November 19 2019 at 17:39
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2019 at 18:06
Kudos for knowing it was a Hoyt Axton song!  Smile
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2023 at 12:55
A-Z of Psychedelic Rock (500+ artists; 850+ albums)

3 stars 1976: The 4 Levels of Existence - The 4 Levels of Existence - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1RCw0fPY0

5 stars 1966: 13th Floor Elevators - The Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiN-7mukU_RHffmSQiUY-wrIPJJu5Ppzn
 4 stars 1967: 13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lcWRl-XU4UIQebKkY79bJZrAeGzfJ-CTs
 2 stars 1968: 13th Floor Elevators - 13th Floor Elevators Live - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lH6LxLZSSGvJQRgJLii9bOTvViyMDArA0
 3 stars 1969: 13th Floor Elevators - Bull of the Woods - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_mngSr0KwETYvFZOqsJtTX9SXIe31AV2EU

4 stars 1968: 31st of February - The 31st of February - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_kPJXjL_hql_8DTNO29h9tdFSHgw6TGtIk

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - November 16 2023 at 03:01
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2023 at 15:58

My favourite albums are

The Beatles  (UK) - Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band  (1967) 

Big Brother & The Holding Company (USA) - Cheap Thrills  (1968)

Blind Faith  (UK)  -  Blind Faith  (1969)

Cream  (UK)  -  Disraeli Gears  (1967)

Country Joe & The Fish (USA) - Electric Music For the Mind and Body  (1967)
                       The Doors  (USA)  -  The Doors   (1967)
                       Grateful Dead  (USA) - Live / Dead   (1969)

Group 1850  (NL)  -  Paradise Now  (1969) 

Iron Butterfly  (USA) -  In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida  (1968)
                       Jefferson Airplane (USA)  -  Sweeping Up The Spotlight. Jefferson

Airplane Live At The Fillmore East 1969
                       The Jimi Hendrix Experience (USA)  -  Electric Ladyland  (1968)
                       Love  (USA)   -  Forever Changes  (1967)
                       Morgen  (USA)  -  Morgen  (1969)

Pink Floyd  (UK) - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn  (1967)
                       The Pretty Things  (UK) - S.F. Sorrow  (1968)   
                       The Rolling Stones (UK) - Their Satanic Majesties Request  (1967)

The Soft Machine  (UK) - The Soft Machine (1968)

Edited by David_D - July 04 2023 at 16:05
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>