Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My list of top singers - please rip it apart!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 09:51
20. Ozzy Osbourne 
I love Sabbath, but the nasal wail hardly qualifies the Ozzman as a great vocalist

19. Steven Tyler
Hard rock icon... that made a couple mediocre albums then a couple great albums... and then totally sold out.

18. David Byron
A little bit of that nails on a chalkboard quality, but I still love 'im. A definite keeper.

17. Greg Lake
Kinda' generic sounding really, but nice tone and reasonably expressive.

16. Bon Scott
Totally unique, alternately great and annoying. 

15. Bruce Springsteen
Dud has like a half octave range. Pathetic. C'mon, there's more melody in the average death metal vocal. And he mumbles his way through half his lyrics.  Easily the most overrated vocalists in rock history. 

14. Geddy Lee
A shrieker, but a full bodied shriek. As if Dio fused with a shrieker and the result is outstanding. Also grew in control and expression as he lost the shriek.  Very adaptable over a super long career. 

13. Axl Rose
Too much annoying affect.  Fun for a while, but not able to sustain without the nails hitting the chalkboard.

12. Peter Gabriel
Another sort of thin voice. Distinct but not particularly impressive. An easy drop for me. 

11. Jim Morrison
Not much range here, but great tone, interesting expression and compelling attitude.

10. Paul McCartney
Not a great voice on it's own. Best when blended with his mates.

09. Chris Cornell
Easily the cream of the Seattle crop.

08. Steve Perry
Syrupy, sappy, and saccharine in the extreme.  "Rock" for starry eyed teenage girls. 

07. Roger Daltrey
Deserves to be promoted

06. Ian Gillan
Serious pipes offset by a bit of that nails on the chalkboard sound

05. David Coverdale
Big pipes, great tone, excellent control; a once proud blues based hard rocker that ultimately sold out big time.

04. Jon Anderson
Monster Yes fan here, but that's mostly in spite of Anderson's thin, airy voice than because of it. 

03. Ronnie James Dio
Should be #1.  The greatest male vocalist in rock history. The pipes, the tone, the range, the expressiveness, the attitude.... dude had it ALL.

02. Freddie Mercury
Serious pipes but silly attitude and way too much pretentious bombast.

01. Robert Plant
Zep is great, but Plant is too often too shrieky and too full of himself.  He's a lister, but never been a #1 in my ear.

Suggested Replacements:

Rick Medlocke: HUGE pipes, big attitude, great delivery--rock's most underheralded frontman

Bruce Dickinson: Metal's next best thing to Dio. Operatic range, the power of a howitzer, expression and attitude, Maiden's man is the man!

Rik Emmett: the greatest combination of range and pure tone I've ever heard, bar none. Beautiful, beautiful voice; flawless delivery. Can do it all, ballad, rock, sing, scream, get airy or get powerful, blues, rock jazz, you name it. The ultimate all round vocalist. Period.  

Ian Anderson: a more compelling delivery you'll not find. 

Justin Hayward: The smoothest, purest, most gorgeous tone in rock history. Great range, fantastic  breath control. An old friend who's always happy to share his joys and sorrows with you. 

Ian Astbury: Got the pipes, always distinct, super expressive without being too gaudy.  Dude rocks, rocks hard, and rocks in his own way.

"Lonesome" Dave Peverett; The ultimate straightforward hard rock voice. Familiar yet distinct. Killer range. Big presentation. Fun, uplifting, and exciting delivery.

Geoff Tate: Hugely operatic voice with killer vibrato.  Fantastic control capable of blowing the doors off or perfectly holding pitch and volume across super challenging soft and slow passages.  A vocal master who always delivers. 

John Wetton: Tone for days. Pleasant but unique. Never a bad listen across multiple groups and solo projects.

And we do need some ladies and there are certainly worthy ones to be included!

Grace Slick: really no justification necessary.  Take her and be proud!

Sass Jordan: lesser known Canadian import with the grit of Janis Joplin, the attitude of Tina Turner, and the hard rockin' sensibility of Ann Wilson. What a package!

And speaking of Ann Wilson.... can not leave her out!

Stevie Nicks: Sensual raspiness with surprising range

My personal honorable mentions:
Karen, Carpenter, James LaBrie, Ray Alder, Eric "A.K" Knutson, Tarja Turunen, Sharon Den Adel, Floor Jansen, Amy Lee, Randy Jackson, Gary West, Steve Walsh, Alex Ligertwood, Hughie Thomasson

Edited by Fischman - January 25 2020 at 09:52
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 10:30
My choice for the best Rock singer in the world who no one's ever heard  of is Joey Cerisano!

Have a listen to this...

He sounds like a hybrid cross between Noddy Holder of Slade and Ronnie James Dio. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - January 26 2020 at 03:00
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2020 at 20:30
I somehow forgot to mention Jeff Buckley, possibly my all time favourite rock singer!  Got Live in Chicago a couple of days back and though I could only sample the beginning of it due to time constraints, just the opening vocalise of Dream Brother was brilliant.  Not many singers, indeed artists, I can think of who made such an impact and influenced so many, including Anneke Van Giesbergen and Chris Martin, with just one album.  Have also heard that influence in singers as disparate, again, as Thom Yorke and Courtney Swain.  Also, as a person who generally dislikes oversinging, Jeff was one singer who somehow elevated it to a fine art. Oversang the hell out of every lick, unlike say Stevie Wonder in his 70s prime, but somehow these additional licks sounded sonorous and even spiritual and cathartic in a way I have never heard from any other rock singer.  His deft fusing of Hindustani influence with classic rock was probably the reason.
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2020 at 21:44
The way I see it you you need to break up singers into their categories - Rock (Prog), Jazz, Pop, Folk and Country. Pop singers basically have more powerful voices that go over the top of the instruments while the rock singers have more natural voices that blend in with the instruments. To me Jon Anderson is the ideal Prog singer because he sings in a higher octave that gives extra clarity to the instrumentals while he sings. As for the rest I think it comes purely down to personal taste. You can get technical and dismiss a voice like Bob Dylan or John Lennon which aren't exactly natural voices, but if you listen to a Bob Dylan song or a John Lennon song without their voices, you just don't get the same effect when someone else is singing their songs. Also when you get a singer who crosses boundaries with his voice it can be a bit jarring and turn you off the singer, but it doesn't make that singer any less of a singer. For instance Tim Buckley starts off a folk singer then turns to jazz and experimental. You don't know where he's going with it mostly because it's puzzling and a bit like taking a journey. Nevertheless he's a great singer but easy to dismiss when you start comparing singers. Most people prefer Jeff Buckley to Tim Buckley. It's not easy comparing singers. It's easier comparing one instrumentalist to another instrumentalist. 

Edited by iluvmarillion - January 28 2020 at 21:48
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2020 at 00:15
^ one of the reasons Chris Thompson is so great imo is for the MMEB covers of Springsteen and Dylan songs (not to mention Bob Marley and Paul Weller!)
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 04:46
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Many thanks for your detailed response! It seems you'd keep ~10 singers from my list, so I'll just focus on differing opinions here.

First off, I must say my set of criteria isn't too precise, there might be some discrepancies, but I generally favor singers who made it BIG. In general, I believe that majority of gifted musicians don't ever make it, so it's possible that every state has dozen(s) of vocalists more skillful than McCartney or Springsteen. But I only included top notch superstars - and just a few guys short of that status who make up the difference with I N S A N E voice (David Byron!).

If I made a list of "top guitarists" and focused on "skill" alone, it would be full of names such as Garsed, Govan, Vetterli, Jarzombek or Josh Christian... and while it's fine, they didn't brought as many people to play the guitar as, say, Jimi Hendrix.

With that in mind:
Ozzy, Tyler, Rose, Gabriel are McCartney could be removed from the list, perhaps. It comes down to taste and what I really consider impressive at the end of the day.

OSBOURNE. We all know why he's here: it's mumbling, it's ugly, but god damn isn't that distinctive? Hardly anyone sang like that in 1970. Influence off the charts, but I agree he's lacking the chops.

TYLER. Aerosmith isn't my thing, but he deserves some recognition. Could be left out without remorse, but needs a mention!

SPRINGSTEEN. Limited range, but a landmark voice for me, instantly recognizable, charismatic, important piece of music history. Bonus points for not aging at all, his 2017-19 live recordings sound as good as his younger self, and he turned 70! Very rare feat imho. Probably no other singer on my list holds up as well as Bruce does.

ROSE. Already dealt with him earlier.

GABRIEL. Certainly delivered some of my favorite vocals ever, the Supper's Ready finale, Carpet Crawlers, Cinema Show, "why don't you touch me?", his solo stuff... but I agree the voice is about to crack on some occasions and he doesn't have tools to roar like Coverdale. He makes up the difference as a lyricist, stage performer, emotional and thoughtful interpretations. vERY difficult to remove, but I see your point.

MCCARTNEY. Excluding The Beatles entirely is a tall task ;) My favorite is George, but I picked Paul because he probably had the most impressive vocal reprotire in the band. Am I a huge fan? Not really, but they were terrific as a unit. Possible cut.

PERRY. Don't care if it's syrupy and saccharine (IT IS), but his skills blows anyone outo f the water... almost anyone. I don't listen to Journey really, but when I do, I feel he could sing anything with ease, had a great ear, awesome vibratos, always connected the dots. A keeper.

JON ANDERSON. Voice out of this world, can be dropped a few spots down the list, but stays here.

DIO. Don't have a problem with putting him at #2.

MERCURY. Yes, his flamboyance is sometimes off-putting and distasteful, but I can't reject the dexterity and control. Should be in TOP 10 no matter what.

PLANT. Ultimate mix of volcanic voice, banshee wails, romanticism and delta blues. Don't know anyone more influential than Percy, he's my number 1. Especially 1968-72/73 Plant is something else.

IAN ANDERSON AND JOHN WETTON. Similar cases to Peter Gabriel, aren't they? I'd love to put Ian somewhere here - if you checked my profile you'll see I only review Jethro Tull and Mike Oldfield - but I need more reassurance on that.

DICKINSON AND TATE. Definitely fit "TOP20 metal singers", if I ever do it. Especially Tate, largely forgotten these days, but Operation Mindcrime is a testament of fantastic heavy metal singing.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 05:26
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I was just about to mention Paul Rodgers missing from your list

Yep, Paul Rodgers is the man, he has soul.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 07:25
I think a list like this has to include more singers than the people that come from the classic rock era. Obviously, a top 10 or even 20 will have many different variations. Just too many singers to include. 

Some others that I would consider because they're really good but also because they don't get mentioned or rarely do, with Layne being the exception to that.

Brent Smith - Shinedown
Brandon Boyd - Incubus
Layne Staley - Alice In Chains
Ed Sloan - Crossfade
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2020 at 07:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

^ one of the reasons Chris Thompson is so great imo is for the MMEB covers of Springsteen and Dylan songs (not to mention Bob Marley and Paul Weller!)

Ah yes, Chris Thompson. A fine singer, I forgot to add him to my list. Wonderful voice. I don't think MMEB ever made a 'killer' five star album, but they came close on occasion. Solar Fire, Nightingales & Bombers and The Roaring Silence, are all solid four stars.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2020 at 00:58
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Ah yes, Chris Thompson. A fine singer, I forgot to add him to my list. Wonderful voice. I don't think MMEB ever made a 'killer' five star album, but they came close on occasion. Solar Fire, Nightingales & Bombers and The Roaring Silence, are all solid four stars.

Yep agreed. I came to the conclusion they were one of those bands that nailed it live but struggled a little bit regards studio albums. Solar Fire is probably the best although that was pre Chris Thompson of course.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123