Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Top 7 Deep Purple Albums

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 23:58
Top 7 update with SpaciousMind's votes added:-

1. In Rock (106 points)
2. Machine Head (93 points)
3. Fireball (53 points)
4. Burn (39 points)
5. The Book of Taliesyn (33 points)
6. Deep Purple (30 points)
6. Shades of Deep Purple (30 points)

8. Perfect Strangers (17 points) 
8. Stormbringer (17 points)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 02 2020 at 23:59
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 04:57
In Rock
Machine Head
Fireball
Burn
Book of Taliesyn
Stormbringer
Cone Taste the Band.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 05:17
Top 7 update with Earl of Mar's votes added:-

1. In Rock (118 points)
2. Machine Head (101 points)
3. Fireball (59 points)
4. Burn (43 points)
5. The Book of Taliesyn (36 points)
6. Deep Purple (30 points)
6. Shades of Deep Purple (30 points)

8. Stormbringer (19 points)
9. Perfect Strangers (17 points) 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 06:32
Deep Purple's Albums

5 stars 2000: In Concert with the London Symphony Orchestra - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzBTBZOwgfbw1sSOFVsy5hOX

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 06:56
^ your album ratings should come up with warnings, like cigarettes & alcohol. 
Warning - reading this might cause unexpected headaches, frustration and sometimes laughter. Read at your own risk. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 07:18
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Warning - reading this might cause unexpected headaches, frustration and sometimes laughter. Read at your own risk. LOL
Which of my album ratings do you disagree with this time? Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 07:30
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Which of my album ratings do you disagree with this time? Smile

I don't remember agreeing with any of them. 

You sometimes rate groundbreaking albums low and everyone's hot & miss album 5 stars or 4 stars (which in case you do not know means essential album here on PA). 

Sometimes I think you could be trolling, it would be making more sense than it all being for real. LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 10:58
^ That's good to hear. If you agreed with all of my album rankings for once, then I'd think I was doing something wrong. Tongue
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 11:12

^ That's good to hear. If you agreed with all of my album rankings for once, then I'd think I was doing something wrong. Tongue

It's not like I'm saying you are wrong (there is no right and wrong here), but there often are albums people agree on being good/great and others that are bad/bland/generic... 

Your ratings are often surprising to unbelievable, so... Ermm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 11:15

It's not like I'm saying you are wrong (there is no right and wrong here), but there often are albums people agree on being good/great and others that are bad/bland/generic... 

So which of my Deep Purple album ratings do you disagree with, and don't say all of them. Tongue
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2021 at 22:07

So which of my Deep Purple album ratings do you disagree with, and don't say all of them. Tongue

Deep Purple has never released anything unlistenable, so it's hard to rate them, the albums that really stand out or me deserve the higher rating. 

In Rock is a groundbreaking album so seeing having the same rating as Slaves & Masters or HOTBL makes no sense to me. Same with Machine Head. 

I think Fireball is not as good as In Rock or Machine Head, so it needs to be a little lower. So Id probably rate In Rock and Machine Head 5 stars and Fireball 4 stars. 

The Hughes/Coverdale albums are essential to me, I'd rate them essential (4 stars), I also find them more interesting/entertaining than HOTBL and S & M, Battle Rages On which are too high rated/rated better in your list.

Purpendicular is essential to me, so is Abandon which got the lowest rating from you. I find both more interesting & entertaining than the last album with Ritchie - The Battle Rages On (which got 4 stars from you). 

I'd also easily give 4 stars to the last three albums. Pleasantly surprised how good and fun to listen they were. 
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 01:42
In Rock
In Concert With The LSO (no studio counterpart)
Perfect St Rangers
Machine Head
Concerto For Group And Orchestra (no studio counterpart) 2
Fireball
Shades Of...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 01:48

Deep Purple has never released anything unlistenable, so it's hard to rate them, the albums that really stand out or me deserve the higher rating. 

In Rock is a groundbreaking album so seeing having the same rating as Slaves & Masters or HOTBL makes no sense to me. Same with Machine Head. 

I think Fireball is not as good as In Rock or Machine Head, so it needs to be a little lower. So Id probably rate In Rock and Machine Head 5 stars and Fireball 4 stars. 

The Hughes/Coverdale albums are essential to me, I'd rate them essential (4 stars), I also find them more interesting/entertaining than HOTBL and S & M, Battle Rages On which are too high rated/rated better in your list.

Purpendicular is essential to me, so is Abandon which got the lowest rating from you. I find both more interesting & entertaining than the last album with Ritchie - The Battle Rages On (which got 4 stars from you). 

I'd also easily give 4 stars to the last three albums. Pleasantly surprised how good and fun to listen they were. 
No Deep Purple album is worth 4 stars after Ritchie Blackmore left the band, but that's just my opinion. Smile
yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2021 at 02:59
1. In Rock
2. Deep Purple
3. Strombringer
4. Machine Head
5. The Book of Taliesyn 
6. Perfect Strangers
7. Burn
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 00:43

Originally posted by uduwudu uduwudu wrote:

1. In Concert with the LSO (1999).
2. In Rock (remaster)
3. Machine Head (with When A Blind Man Cries included)
4. Live in Japan 4 , 3 or 2 CD or 2 LP Made In Japan. Lock, stock, the lot...
5. Perfect Strangers
6. Fireball (remaster)
7. Days May Come And Days May Go (Other than the Sonny and Cher number, a little hideous) a superb setting of improv Purple with an exceptional guitarist who is not one of the usual suspects.

Don't forget it's studio albums only. Wink

I wasn't. However the Concerto doesn't have a studio equivalent. In fact the 2nd time around required the concert hall for it's sort of studio performance. Thusly I'd consider making an exception for the Concertos. Failing that the Purple version of the Gemini Suite which was done in studio conditions.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 00:56

A bootleg is defined as "
an illegal musical recording, especially one made at a concert", so I would've thought that also applies to illegal concert recordings made on a mobile phone. Smile

You have to admit, that Deep Purple in Paris concert is pretty good quality if it's a "bootleg" recording. Smile

In the past (possibly still) TV stations were getting rights and made contracts to broadcast live performances, I've seen quite a few shows on TV, rock, jazz and metal concerts. 
I wouldn't be surprised that Live in Paris was on TV in France. 

It was filmed for Rockpalasst in Germany. Sadly IG has a cold which is even more excruciatingly audible on the scarcely mixed soundboard which has emerged. The film is legit though officially unreleased to date and is  mixed much better so Giilan's cold is not as evident as on the audio. Highway Star would not sound this bad until Come Hell Or High Water and Blackmore's performance in this opening number.

As for illegal recordings, some bands allow a tapers section so usually we ROIO fiends term these as Indeterminate Origin. Audience recordings are field recordings and even the authorities recognize the fan oriented nature of the consumption of such, now freely available material.The illegality is the sale of or the pretense of marketing ROIOs as official product and protecting the unsuspecting punter is the cautionary back ground of this non cash trade.

Of course many bands release their own bootlegs (King Crimson and their 1000 disc box sets) as official now so one has to be careful not to stray into piracy (the trade of officially released material as ROIOs or bootlegs). Mind you the fans usually do a better version of the bootlegs (than the bootleg sellers) when it comes to mastering and cleaning the recordings.

Just for a laugh the bootleg retailers hate "their" product being uploaded to torrent sites.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 02:01
1: Machine Head
2: In Rock
3. Perfect Strangers
4. Deep Purple
5. Fireball
6: Burn
7. Stormbringer 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 02:21
Top 7 update after three more rounds of voting:-

1. In Rock (150 points)
2. Machine Head (121 points)
3. Fireball (64 points)
4. Burn (46 points)
5. Deep Purple (42 points)
6. The Book of Taliesyn (39 points)
7. Shades of Deep Purple (31 points)
7. Perfect Strangers (31 points) 

9. Stormbringer (26 points)

Progishness View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progishness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 06:45
1 Machine Head
2 In Rock
3 Fireball
4 Deep Purple
5 Book of Taliesyn
6 Shades of Deep Purple
7 Who Do We Think We Are

i.e. all the Mk I and Mk II studio efforts - their music never interested me after that. If we were allowed to include live albums then Made in Japan would top my list!

Edited by Progishness - March 12 2021 at 06:48
"We're going to need a bigger swear jar."

Chloë Grace Moretz as Mindy McCready aka 'Hit Girl' in Kick-Ass 2
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2021 at 08:10
^ Made in Japan would top my list of live Deep Purple albums too. Thumbs Up

Top 7 update with your votes added:-

1. In Rock (158 points)
2. Machine Head (133 points)
3. Fireball (70 points)
4. Burn (46 points)
4. Deep Purple (46 points)
6. The Book of Taliesyn (42 points)
7. Shades of Deep Purple (33 points)

8. Perfect Strangers (31 points)  
9. Stormbringer (26 points)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - April 01 2021 at 08:12