Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Prog band made the best pop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Which Prog band made the best pop?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [48.98%]
12 [24.49%]
5 [10.20%]
8 [16.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 10:38
Todd Rundgren's Utopia actually!
“On the day of my creation, I fell in love with education. And overcoming all frustration, a teacher I became.”
— Ernest Vong
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 12:30
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Am I the only one who cringes when he hears a Genesis song played on a supermarket PA? Lol

You're definitely not the only one. It's the same feeling as finding your ex in the supermarket with her new boyfriend
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 12:33
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

For pop? Definitely Genesis Phil Collins era. Yes isn't far behind on their on excursions in the 80's lol. Haven't heard enough later era Camel tbh!

The Single Factor is Camel's pop album. And ICSYHFH. 
Later era they did prog, with mix results, at least for me. 
I need to give Rajaz another chance, it's been a while since I last listened to it properly and I see some users praise it quite a bit. 

Rajaz is a very good album. A little bluesy, the way I see it, but by now you must have noticed I'm not very good at categorizing music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 12:38
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Probably Genesis. The so called pop period by Yes was more like pop rock and that's not really the same thing. 

That's the reason I prefer Yes. It's a bit rocky-er than the other two, even if sometimes their attempts at doing something heavy turned out quite cheesy.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 14:11
Camel were uncapable of making pop. The Single Factor is their worst, but not as bad as the pop attempts by Caravan.
90125 is a pop album but is great, so my vote goes to YES.
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ForestFriend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 14:33
Does 80s Rush count as pop? Certainly songs like The Spirit Of Radio, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, and Subdivisions had broad mainstream appeal. Yet they could deliver hits without completely hiding their prog identity, which makes it more appealing to me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 15:09
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Does 80s Rush count as pop? Certainly songs like The Spirit Of Radio, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, and Subdivisions had broad mainstream appeal. Yet they could deliver hits without completely hiding their prog identity, which makes it more appealing to me.

I agree. I don't consider 80's Rush "pop", or "pop-rock". Although they changed to a more mainstream appeal, its material from the 80's on isn't accessible to the masses, since they didn't sacrifice their technicality and generally kept their lyrics away from romantic topics, which is a usual theme in most pop acts.

Like Rush, King Crimson changed their style in that same decade, but I cannot categorize their output anywhere near pop.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 15:16
Supertramp, Peter Gabriel and Genesis

The song Breathless by Camel is a perfect pop song. Stationary Traveller is great, and the Single Factor isn’t that bad. I think The Missing Piece by Gentle Giant is really solid too.

Too bad the “Phil Collins Genesis bad” circlejerk is already showing itself. Me and Sarah Jane goes hard, Abacab would’ve been as good as duke if they included the full dodo suite and cut another record and who dunnit

Edited by dougmcauliffe - November 30 2020 at 15:20
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 15:22
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

The song Breathless by Camel is a perfect pop song. Stationary Traveller is great, and the Single Factor isn’t that bad. I think The Missing Piece by Gentle Giant is really solid too.

Too bad the “Phil Collins Genesis bad” circlejerk is already showing itself. Me and Sarah Jane goes hard, Abacab would’ve been as good as duke if they included the full dodo suite and cut another record and who dunnit
Actually, it's "Phil Collins ruined prog" bad.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 15:24

I don't know what you are talking about with that circle jerk use (which is also rather offensive), but Genesis is winning here. 

Also there is no Dodo suite, that's something a youtuber compiled to look like an epic. 

I am also surprised by how many votes Genesis got here. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 17:15
Who is the term circlejerk offensive too? People can’t help but to express their raging and irrational hatred for Phil Collins and 80s Genesis any time it’s brought up. Imagine after 30 years and change still going out of your way to talk about music you apparently hate in a generally lighthearted thread, kinda sad tbh. It’s catchy, pleasant, punchy, and I think it’s all good stuff, no need to try to tear it down for other people.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 17:32
Tbh, in a prog forum no one really cares about poppy Phil either way. He's just not part of the conversation. He fits in well with pop forums like The Steve Hoffman Music Forums, where the members are happy to discuss Phil, together with the Monkees and the Beach Boys. Everything in it's place.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 19:48

"Tbh, in a prog forum no one really cares about poppy Phil either way. He's just not part of the conversation. He fits in well with pop forums like The Steve Hoffman Music Forums, where the members are happy to discuss Phil, together with the Monkees and the Beach Boys. Everything in it's place."
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 19:57

"<span style=": rgb248, 248, 252;">Tbh, in a prog forum no one really cares about poppy Phil either way. He's just not part of the conversation. He fits in well with pop forums like The Steve Hoffman Music Forums, where the members are happy to discuss Phil, together with the Monkees and the Beach Boys. Everything in it's place."</span>
Poor Phil. He should have never put that mask on. Now he can't take it off.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 21:59
LOL Stern Smile 
Poor Phil indeed.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 23:57

Phil Collins era Genesis is better than Dark Side of The Moon, bro Wink.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 00:47

Who is the term circlejerk offensive too? People can’t help but to express their raging and irrational hatred for Phil Collins and 80s Genesis any time it’s brought up. Imagine after 30 years and change still going out of your way to talk about music you apparently hate in a generally lighthearted thread, kinda sad tbh. It’s catchy, pleasant, punchy, and I think it’s all good stuff, no need to try to tear it down for other people.

Well then, you've used your words poorly. I looked up "circlejerk" (English is not my native language) and first definition I found had some sexual connotation which confused me even more about what you trying to say. 

I am not one of those listeners that get all annoyed or hateful about pop Genesis. That's an exaggeration. If I say their albums from the 80s and 90s are uneven, I am not annoyed or hateful. 

I am not tearing it down for anyone. There are users here that don't even listen to Genesis beyond 1977 and it's fine. Everyone's got a right to speak their mind. I've been listening to Genesis since late 80s and it was some poppy stuff from the trio years that I started with. There are certain songs from the pop years I'll always be fond of. 

Edited by Cristi - December 01 2020 at 00:56
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 00:54

Well then, you've used your words poorly. I looked up "circlejerk" (English is not my native language) and first definition I found had some sexual connotation which confused me even more about what you trying to say. 

I am not one of those listened that get all annoyed or hateful about pop Genesis. That's an exaggeration. If I say their albums from the 80s and 90s are uneven, I am not annoyed or hateful. 

I am not tearing it down for anyone. There are users here that don't even listen to Genesis beyond 1977 and it's fine. Everyone's got a right to speak their mind. I've been listening to Genesis since late 80s and it was some poppy stuff from the trio years that I started with. There are certain songs from the pop years I'll always be fond of. 

Didn't you know the cool thing to do when you have a difference in opinion on the internet is to passively-aggressively try to bait other people into an argument, then use plausible deniability when it doesn't go your way? Lol.

That's why I always harp on DSoTM; it's satire on people getting triggered by other people not having a problem with something mainstream or popular.

TL;DR: People that thrive on that sh*t are exactly like this kid:

When your entire basis of argument is an ad hominem/straw man, the problem is you.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 01:15

There are users here that don't even listen to Genesis beyond 1977...

That would be me then. Tongue
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2020 at 02:09
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

There are users here that don't even listen to Genesis beyond 1977...

That would be me then. Tongue

Post `77 Genesis is a hit or miss states for me!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>