Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Genesis vs Rush

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
52 [59.09%]
26 [29.55%]
6 [6.82%]
4 [4.55%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 15:11
Yeah, I don't really understand the bad rap it gets either. It's obviously not meant to be taken too seriously.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 15:36
Rush are my #1 band of all time.......Genesis are my #2 band of all time, I have said that numerous times here.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 17:40
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Both are in my top 5 bands of all time but Rush gets my vote.

Same here. If you don't mind me asking who are the other three?

Yes, Beatles & Floyd would be the other three. 
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 17:59
Rush are great, but I think only Moving Pictures I could compare with the peak of Genesis such as Selling England, Foxtrot or Nursery Cryme. And I'd still take SEBTP over it. I'd also say Genesis are more consistent, I'd take their weak era over Rush's, although both were pretty decent at their worst. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 17:59
Equal, I guess.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 18:40

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Both are in my top 5 bands of all time but Rush gets my vote.

Same here. If you don't mind me asking who are the other three?

Yes, Beatles & Floyd would be the other three. 

The Beatles are one of my all time favorite bands and the first I got into but they would make my top ten but not top five. My top five are: Yes, Rush, Genesis, Pink Floyd and King Crimson. 
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 23:31
What they both have in common is that they both have their dull patches. But when they get it right they can be as good as anyone around.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 00:55
I like a fair few Rush albums with Signals ultimately being my fave..but there are quite a few Genesis albums that I love. The latter it is.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 05:19
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Rush are my #1 band of all time.......Genesis are my #2 band of all time, I have said that numerous times here.

Who would be number 3? 
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 07:30
Rush, even if SEBTP is the greatest album ever on PA.
Not for rent. To any God or government.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2021 at 16:43
I can listen to anything Rush did. Genesis however..
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2021 at 01:41
Tempted to say both equally. They are my two fave bands of all time, but I guess Rush can have the vote. Genesis at their very best slightly has the edge over Rush for me, but Rush didn't produce any rubbish in the 80's.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Upbeat Tango Monday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2021 at 16:48
When it comes to Genesis, I love everything from Trespass up to (and including) Abacab.
Rush, on the other hand...let's say I really like them from Fly by Night to Hemispheres. Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are ok. Yes, the crappiest albums from Genesis are worse than the worst Rush records, but if I were to pick the best 10 albums between both bands, Genesis would get an eight out of ten.
Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Lieutenant_Lan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lieutenant_Lan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 09:10
Genesis is one of my least favorite prog bands. Please dont hurt me. So im gonna vote for rush.
OhioBrit View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OhioBrit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2021 at 13:25
Hold on, Rush cite genesis as a strong influence in their music, and you can clearly hear Genesis in rush's music. Is this a reasonable comparison?

Oh well, Genesis hands down for me.
Boojieboy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boojieboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2021 at 22:29
I started off with Rush in the late 70's, but then got in Genesis in the mid 80's (strictly the 70's albums).

Genesis has stood the test of time better than Rush, for me. Even decades later, I still listen to classic Genesis, whereas I rarely ever listen to Rush.

I do have one fondness for Rush, as I got to play a lot of their songs in two bands I used to be in (which was a lot of fun). Used to have a Rickenbacker 4001 bass too. Have never played any Genesis with a band though, sadly.

Edited by Boojieboy - September 26 2021 at 22:34
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 02:50
Originally posted by OhioBrit OhioBrit wrote:

Hold on, Rush cite genesis as a strong influence in their music, and you can clearly hear Genesis in rush's music. Is this a reasonable comparison?

Oh well, Genesis hands down for me.

They've cited an influence but I can't hear it strongly in their music, especially up to and including 2112. The first time I heard Watcher of the Skies, that rhythm did make me think of Lamneth, I guess.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 05:08
Rush (as an entire band)
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 05:12
Both petered out after the mid 80s, but a few of the early Genesis albums are classics like CTTE by Yes, and ItCotCK by KC. So, it's Genesis!

Edited by SteveG - September 27 2021 at 05:13
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2021 at 06:01
As much as I love all things Canadian, and certainly Rush exemplifies what a great Canadian rock band should sound like, I have to vote Genesis on this one.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>