0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 21:48
Thank you so much, Mira.  As a family things are still challenging, but I'm much more hopeful now than I would have been even a few months ago (especially concerning one of my children).  

That is all beautifully expressed Mira, and your words truly touched me.  I'm sorry about the pain you've gone through, am thankful that there is hope, support, and an improvement in your being, and I wish you all the best and comfort in life.

I also listened to the song, and it also touched me.  It's wonderful.  

Thank you for sharing.

Edited by Logan - September 15 2021 at 21:49
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2021 at 22:13
By the way, I think I should put the poll up by late tomorrow to give at least three full days before the next poll goes up.  There's still time for people to participate and share their cherished music (and what it means to you and how it relates to you if you wish to share) if desired.  Thanks to all who have participated thus far in this impromptu poll performance. 

Here is the list so far unless I missed someone (apologies if I did): 

Nick Drake - River Man (Logz)
Sfinx - Din Nou Acasa (Cristi)
King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man (Including "Mirrors") (I prophesy disaster)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - "Dead Flag Blues" (TCat)
Bruce Springsteen w/ Tom Morello - The Ghost of Tom Joad (live) (jamesbaldwin)
Silly - Raus aus der Spur (Lewian)
Donald Byrd - Cristo Redentor (Snicolette)*
Andrew Lloyd Webber/ Tim Rice - Everything's Alright (from "Jesus Christ Superstar") (suitkees) **
Jackson Browne - For a Dancer (dr wu23) 
Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Trilogy (JD)
Emmylou Harris & Albert Lee - Country Boy (tigerfeet)
Sound of Contact - Not Coming Down (mathman0806)
Vlatko Stefanovski & Miroslav Tadić - Jovano, Jovanke (Mila-13)
The Beach Boys - 'Til I Die (Mirakaze)

* I am a fan of Donald Byrd, didn't know it, just listened and adored this.  I can understand why your mother would have loved it so much.

** From Tim Rice to Tim Curry, put them together and you have Tim-Tim or even Curry Rice (Yum-Yum).

I hadn't had  really reviewed these before (distracted with other things), but since Kees mentions music from one of my favourite musicals, I can't resist sharing this -- not my nomination, although I am tempted to change mine since I mentioned that in a poll before, to do something new.  This has touched me since I first saw The Rocky Horror Picture Show film as a teenager.  It's one of my favourite soundtracks and my most listened to album over the past couple of months (after hearing the film reviewed in a horror podcast).  This is the other that came to mind when I decided to do this topic.

"I'm Going Home" 

Edited by Logan - September 15 2021 at 23:06
tigerfeet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigerfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 02:04
Wrong thread - removed! 

Edited by tigerfeet - September 16 2021 at 20:33
I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. Robin Williams.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 13:58
So I am not taking part this time, but Logan suggested that I post a track out of competition. In order to come up with something most people here don't know, I decided to go for something Danish. I have always loved this song by Sebastian deeply: sweet haunting melody, emotional singing and general musical atmosphere. Not to mention some of the best drumming you could ever wish to hear.

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 14:14
@ Logan:  I'm glad you enjoyed the track by Donald Byrd.  It is sentimental for me, as is anything by the late, great Ray Charles, who overall, was my mom's favourite musician/performer.  She also loved a lot of the psychedelic music, especially when it leaned toward blues and storytellers like Dylan and Simon & Garfunkel.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Mila-13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mila-13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 16:24
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

So I am not taking part this time, but Logan suggested that I post a track out of competition. In order to come up with something most people here don't know, I decided to go for something Danish. I have always loved this song by Sebastian deeply: sweet haunting melody, emotional singing and general musical atmosphere. Not to mention some of the best drumming you could ever wish to hear.

Thank you, Anders! Enjoy your music class in Spain and tell us about it when you get back. Smile

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2021 at 17:17
My mini reviews:

- Riverman is a splendid pastoral ballad, classical thanks to the arrangements of the strings, with noises of nature, dreamy, that Greg has already proposed to us and if I haven't already voted it could be a strong contender.

- Din Nou acasa by Sfinx is a melodic 1978 song, led by the soft vocals of the singer and by a long atmospheric keyboard solo. The vocals in Romanian and the changes of rhythm are fascinating. Song in the mood of romantic prog, very pretty.

- For A Dancer if I am not mistaken has already been proposed in some previous poll and is taken from the Browne's masterpiece, Late for the Sky; it is a beautiful, relaxed melodic ballad led by the piano and the violin, as well as by his voice. The violin has a very Californian bittersweet melancholy folk sound. Pretty, very well done but as I may have already said it's not one of my favorites from that album.

- There is little to say about King Crimson's debut song, I think it is unique, it is a piece that they have never equaled, for me it is one of the most beautiful and grandiose and ambitious songs in the whole history of rock (it is rock and avant-garde together, but in an explosive, not cerebral or virtuosic, way), but being the first song of their debut, well known and acclaimed, I don't know if I will vote for it.

- Mike offers us a 16-minute suite of Godspeed, a monumental but very slow piece, led by a spoken voice and the orchestra. The harmonic development of the song is very slow, the music is almost ambient or a soundtrack. At about 7 minutes the beautiful sound of the violins dissolves and fairly dark electronic sounds arrive. Around 10 minutes the music almost stops and then starts again, always with an insistent and almost exasperated slowness, as if there was a great inertia to proceed. It is all very interesting and evocative even if it seems too drawn for a long time. Contender.

- Christian offers us a German group that I have never heard of, which takes us back to a more human dimension (it is a real song, unlike the previous ones) and it is interesting to hear the vocals in German, perhaps the best part of the arrangements together. with the bass (instead I don't like the sound of the drums, maybe electronic). This is an erratic pop-rock song, with an instrumental interlude combined with female moans, and then the music starts up again. After all it is also a dance piece, maybe from the eighties, that I could have danced in a disco. Very nice, a nice surprise from Christian. Contender

Edited by jamesbaldwin - September 16 2021 at 17:31
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 04:21
^ thanks for the write-ups.

Tigerfeet, I'm sorry not to have responded to your last post.  I very much appreciated it and I had plenty I wanted to say (too much actually, but wanted to wait until I had the proper space and time to comment).  It was discrete from you but a sense of caring and empathy came through.   I could easily relate. I am a quite reserved individual usually (I'm shy in fact), but I do care about community, and that ideally we should be here to support each other, listen and care about each other (not saying everyone need be like that, we're all different and have different comfort levels, but  a sense of connection to individuals, people I feel I can trust, and sense of community is important to me and to know that there are those who will listen when one "needs" it and some moral support from people who can emphasize with one's situation).  Speaking for my own experience, when I write something of a personal/ heartfelt nature, even if just support or just a friendly kind of commentary, and it seems this falls on deaf ears, is ignored or unacknowledged, skipped over, I sometimes will get embarrassed and disconsolate.  A sense of coldness is what can be hardest to deal with. It can make one feel more alienated, less wanted, unappreciated., invalidated... This ties into a situation this last evening and is coming from that place:

I had a very busy day yesterday, and it was an odd one.  After a very grueling day, we were visited by one of my child's old friends (is now 18) who lives in a foster group home with caregivers and a manager who we had been out of touch with for a couple of years but whose friendship with my child was rekindled recently.  The child has many house conditions, including a curfew. That child has been undergoing some abuse (verbal at the home and other serious issues) and wished to stay the night.  We said she was more than welcome, but we would need to alert the foster home about your whereabouts so they would not worry and pass on our number so they could contact us.  The manager (head of the group home) called us and was extremely unpleasant.  The lack of love, of caring, of empathy and overbearing officious nature of the person very quickly came through with that person.  While we had said that we would have to have out contact info given so they knew where she (the young adult) was, the manager told us what an unpleasant and untrustworthy individual this child is (we've known her for years since she was at another group home) and that not only could she not spend the night but insisted that we tell her that she is unwelcome at our home (we said absolutely we will not say that).  She then said that this call was just a courtesy, and if we didn't return her soon after we questioned her, she'd call the cops and we'd have to deal with them.  She spoke in a very threatening and not understanding way  She was only at our place for a short time, and was returned not long after curfew (had not known about any curfew) after consulting with the girl and she thought it would be better to go back and not deal with the police and not to put us out.  I understand their liability (which wasn't brought up), and there are rules, but there was an an obvious lack of compassion, a strictness and unwillingness to even talk (our home is quite a short walk from the group home).

I will be following up on this.  It breaks my heart to see this girl in this situation, and the lack of care in terms of real caring became very clear in the way she spoke to us.  Such a sad situation and I know she has been through so much.  Unfortunately, the system too often does not work well and you get people in it who are not the most caring and compassionate of people (well, too much caring, too much empathy, and the job could be too hard to do).  To some it's "just a job" and they don't do it well or appropriately. We'll continue to be there for her whether the head of the foster home wants that or not because it is so important for anyone to know that someone genuinely cares, is there for them through thick and thin, and is not only willing but wants to help.  As a parent, and just as a person, I find the situation so upsetting. 

-----------------

On another note, the poll is now open.  Vote for three not your own. I opted to include Anders even if it is officially out of competition (thus the asterisk in the poll with the bottom choice) since he will not have the chance to participate in this beyond mentioning one.  I think the next poll is going up on Sunday so not much time between the voting being open and the next poll (this round was not planned and was just intended as a little stopgap between polls).

Many thanks to all who have participated both by sharing music that is special to them, for the conversation, and for any and all comments.

Edited by Logan - September 17 2021 at 04:40
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 04:32
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

- Christian offers us a German group that I have never heard of, which takes us back to a more human dimension (it is a real song, unlike the previous ones) and it is interesting to hear the vocals in German, perhaps the best part of the arrangements together. with the bass (instead I don't like the sound of the drums, maybe electronic). This is an erratic pop-rock song, with an instrumental interlude combined with female moans, and then the music starts up again. After all it is also a dance piece, maybe from the eighties, that I could have danced in a disco. Very nice, a nice surprise from Christian. Contender

Good to see that ultimately you liked that. I've got to say that, as this was declared a "lightning round", I didn't think for long about what to do. This song is meaningful for me and I'm emotionally connected to it, but my connection is not anywhere as deep and linked to a personal story as what some others have suggested, and despite the possibility to nominate some prog or well know stuff I decided to put up something that probably hardly anyone knows already. I appreciate a lot the personal stories you have shared here and it moved me reading them, even though I have taken another direction here, and I don't find appropriate words to say much on what some of you have gone through. 

Edited by Lewian - September 17 2021 at 04:35
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 05:10
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

This is difficult because there are so many possibilities for different reasons. For example, a track that I posted very recently in the A-Z thread, Peter Hammill - Stranger Still, speaks to me in a personal way, and I even changed my signature to a lyric from that track. Van der Graaf Generator - A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, my all time favourite track, is probably too long for this poll. Van der Graaf Generator - Lost or Van der Graaf Generator - Pioneers Over C are my next favourite shorter tracks. Peter Hammill - Mr X (Gets Tense) is my favourite Peter Hammill track from a musical perspective. Or I could go for the most important track in my musical life:

King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man (Including "Mirrors")
You like to win easily, dont you?Wink

I'm surprised that nobody else (except JD) posted anything from "the usual suspects".

I have in the past declared this track as a most important track to my musical development, and even my all-time favourite track on largely nostalgic grounds (my other all-time favourite track, "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers", came to me later). I became familiar with this track well before I knew where it came from, and I was ecstatic when I finally discovered the album (actually, it was my first time being drunk, but that's another story). For me, the album was one of a number of albums that I was introduced to at around that time whose music had a "historical" feel, different to other prog I had been exposed to earlier.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 06:56
My votes go to:

1. Sound of Contact - Not Coming Down
2. Bruce Springsteen w/ Tom Morello - The Ghost of Tom Joad
3. Sfinx - Din Nou Acasa

Honourable mentions:

Nick Drake - River Man
Silly - Raus aus der Spur
The Beach Boys - 'Til I Die

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 08:58
mini reviews:

Trilogy: long and important piece by EL&P, I like Trilogy especially in the first 3 minutes, when there are only the piano and Lake's voice, those melodic moments are very beautiful and also the progression on the piano which then leads to the insertion of drums , synth and bass. From then on comes the typical musical tour de force of EL&P which, however, does not conquer me. Towards 5 minutes the piece becomes even more percussive and all three musicians are engaged in virtuosity, as if they were playing alone but superimposed (Lake's bass can be heard a lot). Lake's voice returns, trying to adapt to the infernal rhythm imposed by Emerson, but the melody has been lost and does not give the same emotion, everything is wrapped in the pumped sound and in the rhythm, and it is a pity that before the end the initial piece does not return. The last two minutes don't add much to the music content. I adore Lake and the melodic piano and vocal moments, but I often can't get excited about the very upbeat compositions of the trio.

The song proposed by The Anders, which has a title that I would not be able to pronounce even under torture, is a folk melodic ballad with a beautiful acoustic guitar, clear sounding, a very catchy conventional verse chorus song, which at around 3 minutes produces a long pampering tail, I would say almost therapeutic because it calms you. Very pretty,

Edited by jamesbaldwin - September 17 2021 at 09:09
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 11:07
Admittedly I did not have much time, this time, so will forego my usual first-listen analyses of what occurs to me on the spot.  Truly here, the stories are the same, very poignant ones and also enjoyed the less serious pieces, but I do love best melancholy in music.  

Voting for Newbies to my ears:

1.  Sound of Contact "Not Coming Down"
2.  God Speed You! Black Emperor "Dead Flag Blues"
3.  Vlatko Stefanovski & Miroslav Tadic "Jovano, Jovanke"

Familiar Favourites

1.  Nick Drake "Riverman"
2.  Bruce Springsteen /Tom Morello "The Ghost of Tom Joad (live)"
3.  Jesus Christ Superstar "Everything's All Right" (this one, also saw the Teddy Neely original cast, fantastic       production)

Honourable Mentions, all familiar, but all favourites, also go to King Crimson, ELP (most often seen live acts for me, along with Traffic) and Jackson Browne.

Edited by Snicolette - September 17 2021 at 11:42
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 12:10
While I set this up as not discounting the known -- it helps to already know them when going for speed, which is part of why I nominated an earlier nomination and that it is very special to me -- I plan to vote with three that are new to me.  Being fresh to my ears they did "touch" or "get" me more and one another listen they still get me.  These were ones that I checked out and commented on in discussion and maybe have an associative advantage.  I often have found in regular Prog polls that which is new to me has an enjoyment advantage  I see some people who seem to be the opposite -- like I have known this song since 1789 when me and the other revolutionaries stormed the Bastille and we're still marching for Bastille Day (sorry, I happened to Rush that example out).

Listed in glorious alphabetical artist order.

The Beach Boys - 'Til I Die
Donald Byrd - Cristo Redentor
Vlatko Stefanovski & Miroslav Tadic - Jovano, Jovanke

* Note, I had not expected that I would like The Beach Boys this much.

There is one problem though, while I had heard this before, the Prog selection Sfinx - Din Nou Acasa is really pulling me too, and it feels fresh again.  Those are my four.  This is where I wish we could vote for as many as we like .  Oh, bites the revolutionary bullet, I will vote for those three above but I love that Sfinx no less because of it and have a new appreciation for it to boot.

Edited by Logan - September 17 2021 at 12:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 12:14
Thank you for the vote for Byrd.  This was a hard round, especially thinking of how do things I've heard before stack up?  In general, I do prefer to not vote for familiarity, as I'm afraid it might colour my decisions and my first thoughts mini-reviews began as I just kind of took notes on how I perceived something first time around, to help me remember the music for second listens.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 12:23
It's not so much a conscious strategy with me in polls to discount the known from nominations (although that does help to limit the options since commonly three votes does not feel like enough -- I was going to make this one vote or maybe two before the extension), it's commonly that that which I enjoy and is new and fresh to me excites me more.  Those can lead to me exploring new musical avenues.  Old songs to me that I once loved might even sound stale to me now, whereas sometimes hearing one I knew before but haven't heard for some time, like that Sfinx, reinvigorates and creates a new exciting interest.   With my choice I have listened to it hundreds of times over the past few years but continues to resonate and I still wish to listen to it and find some kind of solace and acceptance in the experience.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 12:40
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

In general, I do prefer to not vote for familiarity

In principle, I would not exclude a track I like simply because I'm familiar with it. In practice, however, I haven't voted for a familiar track in any of the interactive polls, and there have been a few familiar tracks. I can't say that familiarity hasn't dissuaded me from voting for those tracks, although my votes in those cases were for the more preferred tracks, anyway.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 12:41
Mini reviews:

- Beach boys churn out a slow, pampering ballad, like a long hug or a Capra's movie, with a great, cute vibe.

- Jovano Jovanke is an instrumental piece played on classical guitars, with a vigorous beginning that seemed to me almost a flamenco, and then the piece slows down, becomes neoclassical, then returns to being Spanish (or am I wrong?) thanks to the virtuosity of the guitarists, and then slow down again. We are close to De Falla's cultured music. A very different listening from rock.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 12:41
Very sad story Longan. I hope everyone will be alright.

If I can, I will find time to listen and vote, now that my pick has been added to the poll.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2021 at 12:52
Mini reviews:

- Cristo Rendentor is an instrumental piece that begins as a gospel and ends as a jazz piece, the atmosphere is actually sacred and I often love Christian religious music, here I am faced with an evocative piece that acts on the atmosphere, which I like it but it doesn't reach the climax missing a crescendo.

- Sound of contact is a conventional rock ballad that is ambitious in orchestral arrangements and vocals, because it wants to achieve epicity. The singer pushes on the high notes, the volume and the rhythm increase and there is almost a sonic orgasm in the middle of the song, then there is an instrumental interlude, at any moment it seems that the singer's voice returns for the final explosion and instead the piece fades. In my opinion, a missed opportunity.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>