Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your favourite 12 East European Prog albums?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 04:21
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

There is no need for a new thread, that I can see. This one seems to be trundling along quite nicely.

Okay, and I think you should pay some good attention to some of the comments which are made in this thread because as far as I can see there's no basis for what you would like to see:

But I would like to see people list their favourites (5, 10, 12, whatever) from each country. 

Well, I guess it depends what you see, or perhaps what you’re looking for. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I have definitely been reading all the comments, because I love to listen to new music from different countries. Already, I have several new artists and/or albums added to my “to listen to” list.

As for individual country lists, I see them as a means to an end. You see, believe it or not, I a, trying to work out my favourite 12 albums from East Europe. It feels like a near impossible task for me, due to the sheer number of albums I have from that region. Thus, breaking it down into individual countries serves a dual purpose:

1) It might allow people following this thread who have not investigated music yet from that country some interest in doing so; but, more pertinent to your interests,

2) It will make my job of coming up with a top 12 for East Europe easier, as inevitably the albums near the top of each country’s lists will likely be the ones that make my final 12.

So, with that in mind, here are my first three lists. Each has a different number, based upon how many artists I know and enjoy from that country. I wanted to list no more than a third of the number of artists from any one country. I’ve also stuck to only one album per artist, in order to provide greater variety, regardless of how much I might love more than one album per artist. Each list also has a great deal of deliberate recency bias. This is because these are my favourites at this time, and so more recent releases are topping the lists (regardless of how much I might like older albums from these countries).

Belarus

1. Mission Jupiter - Talk To Me
2. Massen - ContrAesthetic
3. Asymmetry - Anima
4. ZVM - ZVM

Russia

1. Compassionizer - An Ambassador in Bonds
2. Detieti - In General Terms
3. Grey Mouse - A Moment of Weakness
4. Fair Wind Pleases - The Wind of the Season
5. Ciolkowska - Psychedelia
6. Mariana Semkina - Sleepwalking
7. The Grand Astoria - From the Great Beyond
8. iamthemorning - The Bell
9. Echoes and Signals - Mercurial
10. Existentia - The Planet in the Universe

Ukraine

1. Dreadnought in the Pond - 0=1
2. Shiva the Destructor - Find the Others
3. La Horsa Bianca - Diluvian Beat
4. Victor Go - Tales from McIntyre Lake
5. White Ward - Love Exchange Failure
6. Soom - Djebars
7. Straytones - Magic Green River Swimmin’ & Stunning Tanzanka Experience

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 05:47
This is fine, Nick, and it's surely okay with more than 12.

Edited by David_D - November 24 2021 at 10:53
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2021 at 07:37
Three more countries. As per the last three, these lists are one album per artist for greater variety. As per the last three, there is deliberate recency bias. As per the last three, the number of albums in each list varies as a reflection of how much I have in my collection from the country. Unlike the last three, where the number listed was no more than a third of the total artists from any country, Bulgaria and Romania here represent more than a third, simply because I figured a list should have a minimum of three albums. (Hungary, though, sticks to the rule of a third.)

Bulgaria

1. Daniel Eliseev Project - Lost Humanity
2. Morrum - Death of Amazement
3. smallman - Labyrinth of Present

Hungary

1. Sauropoda - Pangea
2. River Flows Reverse - When River Flows Reverse
3. Ghost Toast - Shape Without Form
4. Ajna - Rengeteg

Romania

1. Exit Oz - Împamântenit
2. White Walls - Grandeur
3. The Thirteenth Sun - Stardust

enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2021 at 17:00
My favorite Eastern European Prog albums, excluding Poland (separate thread) and Greece (not eastern Europe):

Modry Effect - Modrý Efekt & Radim Hladík
Modry Effect - Svitanie
Collegium Musicum - Konvergencie
Fermáta - Huascaran
Flamengo - Kure v hodinkách
Igra Staklenih Perli - Igra staklenih perli
In Spe - In Spe
S Vremena na Vreme - S vremena na vreme
Syrius - Az ördög álarcosbálja
Tako - U vreci za spavanje
Ursiny, Dežo - Provisorium

Honorable mentions:
Solaris - Marsbéli krónikák
and at least 3-4 albums by After Crying

Edited by enigmatic - December 02 2021 at 10:07
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 04:00
Originally posted by enigmatic enigmatic wrote:

My favorite Eastern European Prog albums, excluding Poland (separate thread) and Greece (not eastern Europe):

You seem to use "the old" definition of "Eastern Europe" which I consider being a very political one, while I'm trying with a new one, geographical. Smile

Edited by David_D - December 01 2021 at 04:04
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 04:14

You seem to use "the old" definition of "Eastern Europe" which I consider being a very political one, while I'm trying with a new one, geographical. Smile

I don't know what you mean by 'old definition of eastern Europe", but even geographically, looking at the map of Europe, Greece is south-eastern. Even if someone says south of Europe, I wouldn't disagree. 

Edited by Cristi - December 01 2021 at 05:02
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 04:29
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I don't know what you mean by 'old definition of eastern Europe", but even geographically, looking at the map of Europe, Greece is south-eastern. Even if someone say south of Europe, I wouldn't disagree. 

Right, you have very much a point there.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 05:12

You see, believe it or not, I a, trying to work out my favourite 12 albums from East Europe. It feels like a near impossible task for me, due to the sheer number of albums I have from that region. 

You may say you can't list 10 top albums of all time either, but if you can, this should for sure be able for a limited geographical range, whatever it is?

And whether you can, in my view, doesn't really depend on the overall number of albums that you have, but rather on whether you are happy (and ruthless) enough to be selective. Obviously nobody has to, but the willingness to play the game in my view has nothing to do with size of the set from which you select. (Or rather, I couldn't pay the game for single countries such as Romania of which I'd be happy to know three - heck, I'm even too weak to play Poland and I'm for sure not proud if it! So having Eastern Europe as a single category and even Latin America is fine for me even though I am happy to acknowledge that it's my personal lack of knowledge rather than fault of these countries.)

Edited by Lewian - December 01 2021 at 05:12
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 06:04
I'm the other way, I'm a Gnosis rater so my full collection of over 2,000 albums has been rated and it just a case of keeping it up to date and pulling the data. I had a lot of fun going through relistening to the full collection and rating everything.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2021 at 06:17
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

I'm the other way, I'm a Gnosis rater so my full collection of over 2,000 albums has been rated and it just a case of keeping it up to date and pulling the data. I had a lot of fun going through relistening to the full collection and rating everything.

The process of finding favourites is very easy for me, as well, as I've done that over the really many years, I've been interested in music, and my collection today only consists of my "favourites" (in fact, it's just albums I'm fond of), about 450. I've made a list of all of them, beginning many years ago, which I now just update. So, listing my favourites here for different countries has only required a bit of work, as well.

Edited by David_D - December 01 2021 at 13:02
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2021 at 01:16

I don't know what you mean by 'old definition of eastern Europe", but even geographically, looking at the map of Europe, Greece is south-eastern. Even if someone say south of Europe, I wouldn't disagree. 

I still think, though, it's good to include Greece here because I doubt, it would be mentioned otherwise.

Edited by David_D - December 02 2021 at 01:24
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2021 at 01:21

I still think, though, it's good to include Greece here because I doubt, it would be mentioned otherwise.

I don't contest you including Greece here, just don't be surprised others will wonder why. 
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2021 at 01:25

I don't know what you mean by 'old definition of eastern Europe".

I assume they mean the countries of the former Eastern Bloc, of which Greece was not a part.

Personally, while I'm all for inclusivity, I am a bit confused by the mention of Firyuza, a band from Turkmenistan...
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2021 at 01:26

I don't contest you including Greece here, just don't be surprised others will wonder why. 

Good point, I'll give an explanation in my OP. Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2021 at 01:40
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I don't know what you mean by 'old definition of eastern Europe".

I assume they mean the countries of the former Eastern Bloc, of which Greece was not a part.

Personally, while I'm all for inclusivity, I am a bit confused by the mention of Firyuza, a band from Turkmenistan...

Wasn't the "Eastern Block" a name the westerners gave that region during the Cold War? Political indeed.
But since Greece is in south-east Europe, it can be included here. 
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2021 at 10:11
Firyuza removed, sorry about that. I had it in my notes as USSR, didn't check that they were on Asian side of USSR. Greece - I still think it deserves it's own Top 10 thread. Tongue
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 02:02

Firyuza removed, sorry about that. I had it in my notes as USSR, didn't check that they were on Asian side of USSR. Greece - I still think it deserves it's own Top 10 threadTongue

I can doubt that it would have much interest at this point of time.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 03:20

Firyuza removed, sorry about that. I had it in my notes as USSR, didn't check that they were on Asian side of USSR. Greece - I still think it deserves it's own Top 10 threadTongue

if Greece deserves its own thread (and it does), you can start one and see what happens. 
Easy solution. Smile
enigmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote enigmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2021 at 09:26

if Greece deserves its own thread (and it does), you can start one and see what happens. 
Easy solution. 
Well, I am afraid I would be the only one who posts his favorite Greek prog albums. I will list them here since I need few more posts to be able to participants in PA Polls. Smile

My Top 10 of Greek Prog Albums (btw Greece =  southern Europe. I grew up in eastern Europe, I know it by heart. Wink)

Axis - Axis (1971)
Axis - Axis (1973)
Akritas - Akritas (1973)
Aphrodite's Child - 666 (1972)  
Ciccada - A Child in the Mirror (2010)
P.L.J. Band - Armageddon (1982)  
Socrates - Phos (1976) 
Vangelis - Earth (1973)
Vangelis - Heaven and Hell (1975)
Vangelis - Albedo 0.39 (1976)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123