Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMP3 The new Politic of Progarchives

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: (Stream)Mp3 Are you agree or desagree..?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
13 [30.95%]
29 [69.05%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 12:48
Originally posted by eugene eugene wrote:

Originally posted by Cygnus X-2 Cygnus X-2 wrote:

Million times NO!!

I need to download tracks to listen carefully and attentively when I find suitable time, and then buy stuff if I like it. Streaming is very unconvenient and in the end useless for me.

Moreover I consider this recent change as a sign of decay of the site. What  a pity!

And you can't listen carefully while listening to the song being streamed?

It isn't useless, you can still listen to the tracks, you know.

No, unfortunately I cannot listen to the streaming at all. It might have something to do with slow speed of internet connection or some other problems, which I am not aware of, but it is not possible for me to listen.

All in all it's very unconvenient, and I shall be missing these facilities, but if this can't be changed, we shall have to live without it. Sad, but who said the life is fair.

Well, then it is not great for you.

But, as I said earlier, do you want this site to remain open?

eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 14:24
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Sorry if I offended you ... my post was a little bit unfair, because the creator of the poll is to blame ... the options suggest that the site owners had a choice and prefered the streaming option to the downloads.

But with a little common sense (putting 1 and 1 together) everybody should realise that they had no choice.

BTW: Check out the link in my signature ... I'll build a list of links to free samples. You can download the Aching Hunger excerpt ... almost 40 minutes, and one complete 10 minutes song from the new Sieges Even album.

Fine, MikeEnRegalia, fair enough. Apologies accepted, and I think that not only me but all those who might have felt a bit uneasy about your comments understand your above explanation.

Re: list of free samples - as I said already - thanks. I already dowloaded Riverside track.

You are doing good job there, and I only wish you were able to dig out more symphonic/rio/avant/fusion stuff, rather than metal, but you know.... - your efforts appreciated in any case.  

BTW: new Sieges Even track was downloaded a while ago, immediately after I spotted your comments about it on the forum, and as I said in the same thread - really nice surprise!!!

carefulwiththataxe
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 14:33

eugene:

I added a form which enables you (and everybody else) to submit links to interesting pages ... hopefully this list will grow rapidly. I'll add a few links myself later on, from all kinds of genres.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2005 at 14:40

Million times NO!!

I need to download tracks to listen carefully and attentively when I find suitable time, and then buy stuff if I like it. Streaming is very unconvenient and in the end useless for me.

Moreover I consider this recent change as a sign of decay of the site. What  a pity!

No, unfortunately I cannot listen to the streaming at all. It might have something to do with slow speed of internet connection or some other problems, which I am not aware of, but it is not possible for me to listen.

All in all it's very unconvenient, and I shall be missing these facilities, but if this can't be changed, we shall have to live without it. Sad, but who said the life is fair.

You could set a piece of Recording software, such as Wavepad to record the stream, and later save it as an mp3 (or you could use any popular music format), and then listen to that mp3 later.

The legality is questionable, and you might want to find out how it applies in your country (hence my use of the word "could") but it would give you back a little of the convenience, even though it's more fiddly initially.

Citanul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 04:55
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Million times NO!!

You could set a piece of Recording software, such as Wavepad to record the stream, and later save it as an mp3 (or you could use any popular music format), and then listen to that mp3 later.

The legality is questionable, and you might want to find out how it applies in your country (hence my use of the word "could") but it would give you back a little of the convenience, even though it's more fiddly initially.

I think that eugene is referring to an inability to stream the mp3s.  Recording sofware is of no use if your internet connection doesn't allow the streaming to be effective.
Be or be not. There is no question. - Yoda, Prince of Denmark
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 16:39

yes, Citanul is right, unfortunately WavePad proved to be absolutely useless in my situation - poor me!

anyway it's not the end of the world, I guess....will have to carry on without mp3 downloads, and who knows, maybe one day they will be back, as they say - The Hope Dies Last.......  

carefulwiththataxe
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 19:03
Have a look at my free audio samples database in the meantime.
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2005 at 19:14
Originally posted by Citanul Citanul wrote:

Million times NO!!

I think that eugene is referring to an inability to stream the mp3s.  Recording sofware is of no use if your internet connection doesn't allow the streaming to be effective.
It's always possible to download streams. If the data's getting to your computer in the first place, you can be sure there's a way of making it stay there
Citanul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 02:49
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

Originally posted by Citanul Citanul wrote:

Million times NO!!

It's always possible to download streams. If the data's getting to your computer in the first place, you can be sure there's a way of making it stay there

The problem is that the data's not getting to my computer.  I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that I can't play the mp3s - I click the play button, but nothing happens.
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 03:33
^ Too slow modem bandwith?
Citanul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 03:46
^ Something like that.  In general, the internet in South Africa is slow compared to Europe and North America, and I'm pretty sure that's why I can't stream the MP3s. 

One of the reasons I'm disappointed at the decision to stream the MP3s (although I understand the reasons behind it) is that it puts people in a country like South Africa and a big disadvantage.  Prog is very hard to come by here, and Prog Archives gave people a chance to hear what the artists sounded like before going to the effort of trying to get hold of the albums.  So, by asking PA to remove the MP3s, the record companies have affected not only their sales, but also those of companies who had no problem with the MP3s being here.
Trotsky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 03:54
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

eugene:

I added a form which enables you (and everybody else) to submit links to interesting pages ... hopefully this list will grow rapidly. I'll add a few links myself later on, from all kinds of genres.

Good work mike,

Eugene, I understand the frustration, because my home computer's bandwith is pathetic ...

When I first discovered this site, I spent months on just the mp3s ... and frankly it was like falling in love  (with Italian prog at least) ... but then I started talking to people to build on that knowledge ... and that became the main draw ...

But I will still miss the mp3 facilitity ... and believe me, as quite a few collaborators who have commented in this thread have already hinted at, this is not about spoiling anybody's fun, but ensuring the long term survival of the site ...

Hopefully it won't be long before technology speeds things up, and nobody has streaming problems (the other option is for record company people to become open-minded and accept PA's honourable intentions ... but I don't think that will happen anytime soon) ...

Until then fingers crossed ...

Cheers!

"Death to Utopia! Death to faith! Death to love! Death to hope?" thunders the 20th century. "Surrender, you pathetic dreamer.”

"No" replies the unhumbled optimist "You are only the present."
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 04:40
Streaming doesn't work with me,must be a restriction on this damn PC, oh well, anyway sure record companies could negociate with this site and agree on 2 or 3 music samples.
CYMRU AM BYTH
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2005 at 05:00

Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

They can make it very hard for you to intercept the data ... if WMA or RM are used, it's possible that you'd have to hack the player to get the data, which is unlikely.

But of course you can record anything your soundcard plays ... with the disadvantage of losing sound quality.

Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 19:06
Bump! Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123