Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New prog in 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2022 at 10:00
     Hmm. I just bought the new Marillion and The Flower Kings releases. Though I’m not a huge fan of either band I’m enjoying both releases. The last Flower Kings release I bought was Unfold The Future I was so unenthused. The new release By Royal Decree is not bad at all. I have to listen more before really commenting. I do like the instrumentation. A wide use of analog keys, excellent guitar playing, tasteful saxophone and impressive drum work is on display. They kind of sound like a symphonic Frank Zappa with Jon Anderson writing lyrics if you can imagine this.
     The Marillion is a pleasant surprise too.   The last release I bought by them was Clutching At Straws. I never liked this band. My three Marillion releases went missing years ago and I never replaced them. An Hour Before It’s Dark took me by surprise. This is my first release with Steve Hogarth singing. His vocal work is excellent. The instrumentation is also excellent when they don’t stray to much into pop territory.   
      Normally I stay away from these two bands as I find The Flower Kings repetitive and boring and Marillion to poppy. I’m glad I decided to take a chance with both of them. I haven’t found to many 2022 releases to really be excited about so far, yet there are several on my radar.   
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2022 at 01:14
The CDs of 2022 I've bought recently:

-Kalle Wallner: Voices,
-Amorphis: Halo,
-T (Thomas Thielen): Pareidoliving,
-Karfagen: Land Of Green And Gold,
-Star One: Revel In Time.
dauinghorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dauinghorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 06:57
There's a new Elds Mark album right around the corner:

https://youtu.be/I02Y8cayRIQ
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 07:25
I’m still working my way through 2021, so I haven’t listened to that much 2022 music yet, but of the releases I’ve heard/purchased, these are my favourites so far:

In PA
Daymoon - Erosion
Ghost Toast - Shade Without Colour
Laughing Stock - Zero, Acts 3 & 4
Mental Fracture - Disaccord
Nordic Giants - Symbiosis
Ottone Pesante - …and the Black Bells Rang
Pencarrow - Live at San Fran
Playgrounded - The death of Death
Riverwood - Shadows and Flames
Roz Vitalis - 20 Years Alive and Well
Sky Cries Mary - Wandering in the Vastness
Time’s Forgotten - Shelter

Not in PA
a-tota-so - Lights Out
Nana Barslev - Lysbærer
Boris - W
The D/A Method - Sanctuary
Elizabeth de Vegt, Airini Beautrais and the Flow Collective - Flow
EYRTH - The Verge
Kalandra - Kingdom Two Crowns: Norse Lands
Lack the Low - God-Carrier
MMWB - The Harvest
sandbender - Hiding Moon
Shadow Universe - Subtle Realms, Subtle Worlds

Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 20:03
Weserbergland-Sacrae Symphoniae is all I got.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
charles_ryder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote charles_ryder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2022 at 23:53
The D/A Method - nice band from Pakistan (!). Ther music is some mix from Steven Wilson, early Radiohead etc. Interesting thing.
om mani padme hum
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2022 at 00:43
^ Yes, their album is in my list. I came to the band, as I suspect many did, with their second album which Bruce Soord plugged on FB. I guess this was realistically their make or break moment, and even with a (relatively) big name in prog behind them, they never did become the next big thing. It’s a shame, because all three of their albums are very good.

It’s also a shame in the way the band have released their third album, as they have done so at the same time as announcing that they’ve broken up. They won’t be making any money from their new album at all, as they’ve made all three of their albums “Name Your Price” on Bandcamp, with all proceeds from all sales going to charity.

It can’t have been an easy decision to make, as making the third album can’t have been without financial cost, and they’ve given away any chance of recouping any of it.

Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2022 at 05:46
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2022 at 07:24
Looking forward to the upcoming King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard. The long track off it is on their bandcamp page and sounds really cool. Waiting for a cd release though.
I would like to see something new from Die Wilde Jagd as well (although they’re not yet featured here on PA). They did a special live thang called Atem a little while ago but it’s only available as an LP or download.

Plenty of other releases mentioned in here that sound like something I should dip my toes in
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2022 at 07:01
I listened to a few new releases recently and enjoyed these:

Symphonic prog band Artefactron (recently added to PA; the almost 19-minute ending track is the best):

RIO band Anthropods self-titled debut (already mentioned here on page 1; tracks 3-4 are missing something, but the rest of the album is stellar):

Xavier Boscher's Skyscapes album (if you're interested in non-complex guitar-oriented instrumentals)

Others that were good but fall short of four stars:
Big Big Train - Welcome to the Planet: https://open.spotify.com/album/4GbXSOXXIWzoqbsI3u7rRu

Edited by progaardvark - April 11 2022 at 07:02
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 14:23
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

New Persefone out today. They're starting to sound more like Leprous on some tracks and even have Einar Solberg singing on the opening track. This band has never really done it for me although they aren't bad either. This new video is pretty cool though.

Interesting! Harmonized death metal growls! I can't remember hearing that before. Like having Sauron and Wormtongue reciting poetry simultaneously.

The Anthropod stuff just not my cup of tea. My aging mind seems to be requiring pretty melodies and humane chord progressions and chordal structures (using whole tone western scales and major Seventh chords).

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 14:33
I've just started catching up with the year's releases--have tried listening to pretty much everything TCat and NewProgReleases post.
So far, while I've enjoyed Tigermoth Tales, The Guildmaster, and Karcius, the ones that stand out for me are:

WESERBERGLAND Sacrae Symphonae nr. 1
BREIDABLIK Alduorka
TANGERINE DREAM Raum
INNER PROSPEKT Grey Origin
MIDLAKE For the Sake of Bethel Woods
BIG BIG TRAIN Welcome to the Planet
ALMS The Trial
THE LIGHT IN THE OCEAN Deep Reef Dream
KARFAGEN Land of Green and Gold
GHOST TOAST Shade Without Color 

with the Weserbergland release, so far, the runaway best album of 2022.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 14:49
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

I’m still working my way through 2021, so I haven’t listened to that much 2022 music yet, but of the releases I’ve heard/purchased, these are my favourites so far:

In PA
Daymoon - Erosion

Not in PA
a-tota-so - Lights Out
Nana Barslev - Lysbærer
Boris - W
EYRTH - The Verge
MMWB - The Harvest
sandbender - Hiding Moon

I’ve listened to a few more albums since the above post, but I think of those only two (so far) I would feel comfortable adding to my list of favourites (so far):

In PA: Fromuz - The Asymmetric Rules

Not in PA: OU - One

Top five in PA
Daymoon
Fromuz
Ghost Toast
Laughing Stock
Mental Fracture

Top five not in PA
a-tota-so
Boris
The D/A Method
OU
Shadow Universe

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 02:49
We're now a third of the way into 2022 and I've found a lot of new releases that I like, but not that many have been prog. Here are the ones that can be found on Progarchives:

* Anthropods - Anthropods
* Tangerine Dream - Raum
* Tatsuya Yoshida & Risa Takeda - Plate No. 4
* Oksana Linde - Aquatic And Other Worlds
* Tatsuya Yoshida & Risa Takeda - Nazabukha
* Tatsuya Yoshida & Risa Takeda - Syndebuk
* John Irvine - Psychopomp
* National Diet - The Noon Hour

Edited by Mirakaze - May 01 2022 at 02:49
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2022 at 07:27

In PA
Daymoon - Erosion

Not in PA
a-tota-so - Lights Out
Nana Barslev - Lysbærer
Boris - W
EYRTH - The Verge
MMWB - The Harvest
sandbender - Hiding Moon

I’ve listened to a few more albums since the above post, but I think of those only two (so far) I would feel comfortable adding to my list of favourites (so far):

In PA: Fromuz - The Asymmetric Rules

Not in PA: OU - One

Top five in PA
Daymoon
Fromuz
Ghost Toast
Laughing Stock
Mental Fracture

Top five not in PA
a-tota-so
Boris
The D/A Method
OU
Shadow Universe

Released only a couple of days ago, but definitely threatening to usurp one of the above “top five not in PA) is Pájaro. The latest from GGGOLDDD (formerly known as Gold) is also a definite contender to displace one of the incumbents in this list.

Daal and Ufomammut are definite contenders to oust at least one of the “top five in PA”, too. Another that could easily join the ranks of the albums making my list of favourites is Long Distance Calling, which I’ve thus far listened to only a couple of times, but which has already impressed.

But there are still far more albums that haven’t really impressed this year, than have made my list of favourites. At the same stage last year, and the year before, I probably already had a list of a hundred or so favourites! 😆

I’m not sure why, but there really have not been as many albums that have really resonated with me. I’ve not listened to any fewer new releases, as far as I can make out, but definitely a lot less have “stuck”.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2022 at 01:26
I like the recent Animals as Leaders album. Tech metal is a bit of niche thing but they do it really well and manage to retain a strong melodic element to their music.
Away from the world of prog its good to have Placebo back. Very under-rated Irish band imo.  
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2022 at 02:21
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I like the recent Animals as Leaders album. Tech metal is a bit of niche thing but they do it really well and manage to retain a strong melodic element to their music.
Away from the world of prog its good to have Placebo back. Very under-rated Irish band imo.  

Irish?

That’s the first time I’ve ever heard them described as that. But if we’re speaking of the same Placebo, then absolutely it’s good to have them back. I love Placebo, and they are a phenomenally good band live. Admittedly I’ve seen them only once in person, but I’ve watched any of their performances recorded for dvd or tv I’ve been able to.

Placebo, by the way, were formed in London by Brian Molko (born in Belgium, to a Scottish mother and an American father of French and Italian ancestry) and Stefan Olsdal (a Swede). So I admit that I might be thinking of a quite different Placebo to Richard, because I don’t see any Irish in there at all. 🤔

Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2022 at 03:45
New Pure Reason Revolution, very good proggy grunge album.
The newest Marillion is a fun one too, a lot better than their previous one for me (with more energy)
Pinneaple Thief also released a new album, which I enjoyed a lot, but it's definitely fan-only material as it's just re-recording of old songs with Gavin.

Gotta check the latest Animals as Leaders.
DangHeck View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangHeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2022 at 12:02
Certainly a focus on new material has not been my M.O. (of the past few years, at least), but a few definitely come to mind (though most of these I had to be refreshed on).

I, too, listened to and enjoyed Steve Vai's Inviolate. I recently (finally?) checked out all of Black Country, New Road, and their 2022 latest, Ants From Up There, is good, but I would more recommend their 2021 debut, For the first time. I quite enjoyed Animals As Leaders' latest, Parrhesia. I'm not entirely sure how they do manage to introduce new things, but neither here nor there. I was most impressed (the most so far in this list) by Plague Accommodations by Thank You Scientist. I thought they really delivered here, perhaps to a level we haven't quite seen before. Sorry I don't have more to offer...

As for newer releases I'm excited and yet to hear, apparently there's a new EP from The Lickerish Quartet (I'll check out anything that Roger Joseph Manning Jr. does). As for very un-Prog, the Emo band California Cousins which I enjoy released a new one this past week. Already fully aware of the following (in order of release, I think), I'm also looking forward to new Flower Kings (I think they've been exceptional the past 5 years or so), (I'm not afraid to admit it) Charli XCX, Star OneBlack Midi(!!!), WaxamilionJacob Mann Band, Glasys (currently Todd Rundgren/Utopia's guy on keys... incredible stuff), 
and, just because my friends won't shut up about it (not that I'm expecting it will be "for" me), Big Thief (I'm not really a fan of "all things Indie" lol).
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2022 at 12:15
Originally posted by DangHeck DangHeck wrote:

I was most impressed (the most so far in this list) by Plague Accommodations by Thank You Scientist. I thought they really delivered here, perhaps to a level we haven't quite seen before. Sorry I don't have more to offer...
As for newer releases I'm excited and yet to hear, apparently there's a new EP from The Lickerish Quartet (I'll check out anything that Roger Joseph Manning Jr.
Love the Thank You Scientist and your review of the album. It's a 2021 release that went by unnoticed, which is unacceptable for a prog site. One of the finest of 2021.

I have The Lickerish Quartet, Volume 3. It's good, not my fave of the trio, but worth a listen.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - June 06 2022 at 12:18
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>