Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To which age group do youse belong?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 20:45
B, as I'm 28 years old. And I joined PA when I was only 13 (albeit under a different account, hence this account's later join date)... I'm glad that I was exposed to prog so early in life Smile
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 23:18
E. I'm 52 (I'll be 53 in a few months) and one of those odd ducks who discovered prog in the 80s (as a teen). Anyone else out there like me? Tongue

Also, not much of a musician but I own two instruments (an electric guitar and a full size casio keyboard -both were gifts). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 23 2023 at 19:55
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2023 at 23:21
25 years old, got into Prog around 15-16, and my tastes expanded greatly since then. Musician since age 5 (maybe slightly earlier), hoping to be professional at some point.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 01:00
I'm 63 and into prog for 50 years.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 01:33
I’m 61 and started listening to prog when I was 13 years old so it as been about 50 years listening to music and no I’m not a musician. I’m a won’t to be lol.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 01:35
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

Me too! Smile
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 01:44
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I got into Art Rock in summer 74, at just barely 11

I would only find out in the mid-90's that art rock had another name like Progressive Rock or prog
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 02:55
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

E. I'm 52 (I'll be 53 in a few months) and one of those odd ducks who discovered prog in the 80s. Anyone else out there like me? Tongue

Also, not much of a musician but I own two instruments (an electric guitar and a full size casio keyboard -both were gifts). 

I am a few years older and I got interested in rock music in general in late 70s. Listened mostly to album rock radio so heard and liked bands who I would later learn to be prog. Didn't become aware of "progressive rock" until early 80's. Prog through the rock radio indicative of 80s - Rush, Saga, Blue Oyster Cult, Pink Floyd, Marillion.
Ronstein View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ronstein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 03:32
70 - Amateur musician and followed psychedelia into prog at its birth. Also fortunate enough to have had Genesis as our local band, playing the tiny Gin Mill Club upstairs in The Angel Hotel in Godalming along with the likes of Peter Green, Free, Skid Row, Chicken Shack and Duster Bennett to name but a few. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 04:14
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

I got into Art Rock in summer 74, at just barely 11

I would only find out in the mid-90's that art rock had another name like Progressive Rock or prog
Exactly my story also. But I don't remember it being called Art Rock. The label depended on your geographic location. Anyway, I am currently 62 and have been listening to Rock Music (Zappa, Kansas, Rush, Floyd, Jethro Tull, etc.) since 1975.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 04:52

E. I'm 52 (I'll be 53 in a few months) and one of those odd ducks who discovered prog in the 80s. Anyone else out there like me? Tongue

I qualify, I'm 58 & discovered prog at the beginning of the 80's when I was introduced to Genesis, Yes & Floyd. Before that it was all metal all the time. Not a musician though I do have a guitar and a keyboard.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 05:00

Yep: also 52 going on 53 and not much of a musician 😂

Despite owning quite a bit of prog in my rock collection I truly don’t think I properly embraced prog until I got the Genesis Platinum Collection in about 2002…..
Heaven is waiting but waiting is Hell
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 05:45
Originally posted by amarthu amarthu wrote:

e. 50-60
I am 54. And my four French best friends -who also listen to post/alternative/progressive rock/metal- are older than me: 60, 62, 63, 71. So when we meet each other, we often listen to more recent music than music from the past. That is paradoxal, but I like that ! Smile
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerinski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 05:49
I'm 56 and I have been into prog since as far back as I can remember, one of my favourite albums when I was 5 years old was Tarkus, I grew up surrounded by prog music at home.
I'm sort of an amateur musician, I can play to some extent guitar, bass, keyboards and drums, my main instrument being guitar. I own 4 guitars, a bass and 3 keyboards. I'd love to have a drum kit but I don't have space enough in my little appartment.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 08:14
G......looks like so far I'm the oldest (71) . Do I get a prize or anything?
Big smile
Retired Optometrist, I can play a little guitar but not a musician. Started buying music around 1963...'45's..top 40 radio stuff,  then lps by The Beatles, Stones, etc .
(I think Steve G who has not been around for a while is my age or older.)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 08:17
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I think Steve G who has not been around for a while is my age or older.

That's true, he's not been around for a while, I hope he's alright. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 08:23
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

That's true, he's not been around for a while, I hope he's alright. 

I got a Christmas pm from him on Dec 23.....I also hope he's well
BTW....he's 76 .
(I did see that he posted in RIP thread on Jan 19)

Edited by dr wu23 - January 23 2023 at 08:31
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
amarthu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amarthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 08:42
Do you tend to visit this website/forum often and, if so, what for?
mellotronwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mellotronwave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 11:43
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

F.

Today, many folks can't listen to music without knowing its "genre" ... crazy ... totally crazy!

Mosho write a lot , hundreds of lines sometimes ;-)
this one is a way shorter and concise statement

and I agree

Edited by mellotronwave - January 23 2023 at 13:03
Jacob Schoolcraft View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2023 at 12:27
I'm ancient fossil between 60 and 70. I'm a musician that traveled the road for decades until I grew tired of compromising with the commercial side to the business.

I remain a recluse in the recording studio..writing, recording, and releasing instrumental music. When I was young and naive I used to open for the Doc Severison Band (house band for the Johnny Carson Show) and several sell out entertainers including the ones I worked for.

On the circuit were Renaissance, Steve Hackett, Dixie Dregs, Ian Hunter and others. This lasted from 1981 to 1983 when Progressive Rock bands were playing packed theaters while the industry had a plan in motion to disregard it. Yes I witnessed Progressive Rock fall by the wayside in the most evil way.

It was exciting to play that circuit, but the reality of it all sucked. In the 70s I worked in Progressive Rock cover bands and a few original bands just after the Glam Rock period..such as Witch, Spartacus, and one in particular ( that shall remain nameless) who landed a record deal with Warner Brothers..but lost that contract because of a lawsuit between managers. During this period in time Happy The Man and Nektar were performing a lot in the tri state area.

Eventually I had to close the door on that business because it was holding me back from being a musician..a writer..an artist..whatever? Interestingly though...I wasn't attracted to Progressive Rock because of being a musician. I did eventually learn from Progressive Rock..but when I listened to it didn't constantly analyze it. Too much thinking has a tendency to ruin your enjoyment of the album in its entirety.

Edited by Jacob Schoolcraft - January 23 2023 at 12:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>