Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PA Genre Charts at Progfreak.com

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 04:59
^ Like I said, you currently can't add links yourself - I'm asking that for the time being you let me add the links. Smile

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - May 04 2023 at 04:59
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 05:04
Originally posted by Mr ProgFreak Mr ProgFreak wrote:

^ Like I said, you currently can't add links yourself - I'm asking that for the time being you let me add the links. Smile

oh, so it's not that i was incompetent LOL, it's not even an option for me to add listening links. LOL

Ok, we added a new band in the PM chart, can you please add the bandcamp links then? Embarrassed
Mr ProgFreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 07:29
If you're referring to Constellatia, I added the link earlier today when I saw your comment. :) 

I'll add an email notification so that I can be more responsive. I can add these links quickly, the problem is noticing when you add a band.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2023 at 07:35

If you're referring to Constellatia, I added the link earlier today when I saw your comment. :) 

I'll add an email notification so that I can be more responsive. I can add these links quickly, the problem is noticing when you add a band.

ok Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2023 at 06:31
Hi there! I'm pleased to announce that you can now add release links to the PF database. This also enables you to add bandcamp links for artists. To do so, when you add a release for the artist, add a link to its album page at Bandcamp.com. That will also set the bandcamp link in the artist entry.

Please let me know if you encounter any problems. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2023 at 03:37
FYI: Today I relaunched the website as TagYourMusic.org. All the old links should remain intact, but you will need to login again, since the domain name has changed. :-) 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 06:20
Hi,

In regards to the comment about "one and done" ... I'm not exactly against it, with one exception. 50 years ago, the chances of doing something like that were not very good, due to studio costs and all that, plus you had to play the stuff, instead of simply using a VST to mimic yet another instrument.

Today, the "one and done" thing is easy to do, specially when you can take many "examples" from folks trying to find out what we all think about their music, and you can just see the DAW ... and the instruments played ... and what many of us might consider the general lack of direction in regards to the music ability, anyhow.

50 years ago, creating something "new" was very different since there was no airplay for it, and the only chance you had was word of mouth and friends ... and sometimes, lucky ... a friend on the other coast. Today, you have the Internet, and you can showcase your little tune to the whole world, and allow everyone to comment, and love it or hate it, it's not a great way to do it, since it all has to come from you, inside you, with you, by you ... not from the comments, which tells you a MAJOR DIFFERENCE between the work from many folks 50 years ago, as opposed to today.

"One and done" 50 years ago, makes sense, from a historical perspective, but today? It does not, since we can immediately determine the ability and talent level, which was not possible in those days, as so much of the material was very experimental, and different from the main stream works. 

However, 50 years has not been kind to the compositional styles and methods, since all you are finding are copies of copies and copies of nothing ... thus, "one and done" for today, I would not specifically close it down, but I would make it clear ... we want to hear more! 

I am not sure that I made this clear before, and while there maybe differences between one site and another, I like the idea of one site making an attempt to join up things to make them better ... I happen to dislike the way RYM is setup ... with no forums, and the comments being strictly about the band and its work, which we could use, however, many bands do not even survive 10 replies past the top 5 or 10 bands! Which means that not enough folks have listened to it well enough to be able to make a comment ... or they would have one, that is not a simple one word saying ... absolutely nothing about the music!

There are a lot of little things that could be improved, but the generic, mass appeal, or the "one and done" that someone has applied to me, is a false comment, on something that was not investigated and asked a little more about ... which sometimes specifies the talent and ability level of the folks involved. Some here love to trash Mosh for anything including the fly that fell into your soup .... ohhhhhh, let me shed a tear! And maybe make a song!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 07:47
Personally i hate the new domain name. Progfreak was unique and memorable. Are you trying to be rate your music?

I can't sign in nevertheless.

I've been on for ten years now and never wrote down my username and password.

And there's no contact info on the site :/

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 07:57
The limitations and restricted purview lend to my total disinterest in the site. PA will do fine for me.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 07:57
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Personally i hate the new domain name. Progfreak was unique and memorable. Are you trying to be rate your music?

If you hit 'Give Feedback' in the top right you'll get a quick response. That's what I've been doing.

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - May 30 2023 at 07:59
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2023 at 08:02
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

The limitations and restricted purview lend to my total disinterest in the site. PA will do fine for me.

Agreed. I only use it to cast votes anyway.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 01:19

RYM wasn't that big back when I started PF. We always had similar feature sets. The main difference is that I am just one developer doing things as a personal interest and for the love for music, whereas RYM was/is a business. It's all about ad revenue, and this also applies to PA (to a great extent). I want TYM to be(come) better than RYM in some aspects. Being just one developer I could never implement all the features that RYM offers, and that's not what I'm trying to do. But I think I can do a lot, and I'll keep at it and see where it leads.

There is a contact form, you can write to [email protected], you can contact me here. What gives?

Besides: You've been on PF for about 8 years and in all that time you didn't rate one album. So apparently the "unique and memorable" domain name didn't do much for that.

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - May 31 2023 at 02:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 01:20
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

"Restricted purview"? There's a lot of things TYM members can do on the website which PA members can't. You can also become a curator at TYM (haven't announced it publicly yet), giving you more rights to edit artist/release/track entries. In any case, if you have a complaint, I cannot do anything about it unless you let me know about it.

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - May 31 2023 at 02:01
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 09:42

RYM wasn't that big back when I started PF. We always had similar feature sets. The main difference is that I am just one developer doing things as a personal interest and for the love for music, whereas RYM was/is a business. It's all about ad revenue, and this also applies to PA (to a great extent). I want TYM to be(come) better than RYM in some aspects. Being just one developer I could never implement all the features that RYM offers, and that's not what I'm trying to do. But I think I can do a lot, and I'll keep at it and see where it leads.

There is a contact form, you can write to [email protected], you can contact me here. What gives?

Besides: You've been on PF for about 8 years and in all that time you didn't rate one album. So apparently the "unique and memorable" domain name didn't do much for that.

I figured it out. I used on old browser and all my info was retained there so i can now sign in.

I don't rate albums without reviews. If you go to my profile on PA or RYM you will see i only rate albums i review.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 12:34
^ sure, fair enough - you could have rated and reviewed albums at PF as well (some PA members have), if you wanted to support the website. I'm just saying that you didn't, even when it had a "cool" domain name.

BTW: To fix your log in problem properly I can change your email address to something useable (if you PM it to me), then you can use the password reset. The main problem with reactivating old accounts is them having been created with junk adresses.
bardberic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bardberic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 20:46
With all due respect, "Mr. Progfreak," I do agree that Progfreak was a much better name for the site. The new name is kind of a turn-off, honestly. Sorry to say, but TagYourMusic will never become nearly as large as RYM (because RYM is, as you put it, a business) and the site does still revolve around the "progressiveness" of the music, such that by nature it's still fundamentally a prog music community, despite the fact that it's a database of all styles of music. I understand that you're trying to appeal to a wider demographic, but maybe another awesome original name, like Progfreak was, would be more suitable for the site (eg, Musicfreak). This name draws comparisons to RYM, which isn't exactly a good look for the site, to be honest. The sites are very different and deserve a very different name.

Edited by bardberic - May 31 2023 at 20:47
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 21:21

^ sure, fair enough - you could have rated and reviewed albums at PF as well (some PA members have), if you wanted to support the website. I'm just saying that you didn't, even when it had a "cool" domain name.

BTW: To fix your log in problem properly I can change your email address to something useable (if you PM it to me), then you can use the password reset. The main problem with reactivating old accounts is them having been created with junk adresses.

Wow. I honestly didn't know we could rate and review albums on ProgFreak. I figured out my problem. I just used an old browser and it had my exact username and i then spontaneously remembered my password!

Love it when that happens :) 

Honestly i just like the name ProgFreak better :)

It's your site so do what you must to keep it going!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 31 2023 at 23:01
^ sure! Next time you forget your password, maybe there’s another old browser lying around somewhere to fix your problem!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2023 at 00:31
Originally posted by bardberic bardberic wrote:

With all due respect, "Mr. Progfreak," I do agree that Progfreak was a much better name for the site. The new name is kind of a turn-off, honestly. Sorry to say, but TagYourMusic will never become nearly as large as RYM (because RYM is, as you put it, a business) and the site does still revolve around the "progressiveness" of the music, such that by nature it's still fundamentally a prog music community, despite the fact that it's a database of all styles of music. I understand that you're trying to appeal to a wider demographic, but maybe another awesome original name, like Progfreak was, would be more suitable for the site (eg, Musicfreak). This name draws comparisons to RYM, which isn't exactly a good look for the site, to be honest. The sites are very different and deserve a very different name.

As I mentioned in the forum at TYM, I will keep the progfreak.com domain alive (stay tuned), and I am always looking for a better name. These are simply very difficult to come by.

Ultimately even a cool name like Progfreak doesn't help - as exemplified by silly puppy, many will happily use PA, RYM and who knows what else  in parallel, and still give PF the finger. The solution for me is to not give a f**k about it (to put it bluntly) and just do what I think is best, as many of you have suggested.

What makes my site unique? Why do you use it (if you do)? What could make it better? I'm listening! Also when it comes to the genre charts. 

Edited by Mr ProgFreak - June 01 2023 at 00:41
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr ProgFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2023 at 00:35
One good example: progressivemusic.com is available! I would take that in a heartbeat. But it costs 90,000 EUR ... such a shame. Someone purchased the domain a long time ago and is holding it hostage, waiting for someone to cash them out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>