Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - does anyone here fw Rock In Opposition/Avant-Prog?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

does anyone here fw Rock In Opposition/Avant-Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2024 at 20:13
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

PoiL is a really good call, you want to check out modern avant just run a top album chart using that sub-genre for recent years. Personal recommendation, black midi, modern young band really pushing the envelope

Hi

One of the things that has kept me in music all these years, is the different stuff. I was never a listener that looked for something that sounded like, or was like ... kinda thing, and this is where Guy Guden (we were roommates for a long time during the first years of Space Pirate Radio and shared music collections) was valuable and important .. .he had the knack and touch ... so even right there in 1974, he would play a full side of Klaus Schulze, or a full side of Tangerine Dream, and come back with lots of Faust, Can, Amon Duul ... and right away you knew ... what your taste and touch was ... not the same stuff as everyone else. Even stranger, and it got many comments, was hearing Magma on the air ... in 1974 on a number 1 FM station!

The value of the rio/avant and really out there stuff is ... so under rated, and very important, and this is where things like Eno, in his first albums ... was far out ... way out there as an example.

Thus, things that might be considered way out there and bizarre, sometimes, have more logic in their work than is visible, since our minds are infected with the more conventional sound ... and this is difficult to tell folks ... when you only listen to the same thing, the minute you get a piece that is harsh and different, it won't click ... 

This is the reason why sometimes I like to say ... get a Carl Stalling CD, which has some of the music used for many cartoons and see if you can pick up the visual from it ... it's really hard ... and all it says is that the ears are not quite tuned to that side of "music". And this is the huge problem in pop music and what I call the numbers music ... or the top of the pop music ... your ability to really enjoy the odd stuff takes a beating. It ends up, btw, making you re-define "music" for yourself!

Edited by moshkito - January 18 2024 at 20:14
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 19 2024 at 00:34

PoiL is a really good call, you want to check out modern avant just run a top album chart using that sub-genre for recent years. Personal recommendation, black midi, modern young band really pushing the envelope
Can't believe I didn't list black midi among my favorites. Maybe because they are so recent I didn't think of them as a band I "still" listen to. It's only been three or four years since I discovered them.

For me in the last couple of years, it's kind of accidental if I discover a new band under the prog umbrella. Unfortunately (I suppose) I'm not exited for anything "prog in itself" any longer. But all these mentions of PoiL has had me curious. I started with their latest: Yosh*tsune - which I had picked up somewhere that had some relation to japanese traditional music (Heikyoku). That was really more of a selling point than Brutal Prog:). Hugely enjoyable at first listen and Junko Ueda's Biwa-playing makes all the difference to me. His singing to a lesser extent, but it fits and makes for a more intrigung listen. I'll keep going backwards from here. And I see that I have to check out their Ukandanz-project as well - because of the Ethio-Jazz link.
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2024 at 11:36
I have to ask,what is fw?
Across the evening sky,
all the birds are leaving,
But how can they know,
it's time for them to go?
Before the winter fire,
I will still be dreaming,
I have no thought of time.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2024 at 22:13
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

I have to ask,what is fw?

Originally posted by duchamp duchamp wrote:

Originally posted by PrograhamLincoln PrograhamLincoln wrote:

So what does the OP say it stands for, since he used it?

And MikeEnRegalia, thank you for asking!

f//ck with
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2024 at 10:26

I should check out PoiL some day. They look strange and goofy, which is my type of avant music.

Also yeah black midi is such a great band.
D~B
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2024 at 11:24
Originally posted by duchamp duchamp wrote:

would the residents be considered prog?

In Genesis vs The Residents, I asked which group was proggier under one's own definition of "prog".

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Dapper~Blueberries View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dapper~Blueberries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 02 2024 at 11:34
Not gonna lie, I cannot in good conscience call Residents prog. They're certainly avant-garde, and I could see them as an influence in the space of stuff like RIO or more Zappa-esque workings, but they certainly aren't of the same boat as avant-prog music of say Art Zoyd or This Heat.
D~B
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123