Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPink Floyd vs. Led Zeppelin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Which band is better and just all around more awesome?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
150 [63.03%]
74 [31.09%]
14 [5.88%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2005 at 19:02
Originally posted by bluetailfly bluetailfly wrote:

Legoman,

Are you the guy who wrote that "eight foot boners" comment about Genesis fans in one of your album reviews?

Hahhaa.  I think that was about Yes fans... I seem to remember.  Eh.  I hardly remember exactly why I said it anymore.  Hahaha.  I guess it is all that Pink Floyd being my favorite and doing drugs buisness. 
Laurent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 17:37
Pink Floyd

Ridge View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 18:01

My vote is for the All Mighty Zep!

I would take Wish you were here over any Zep album, but I'd take any Zep album over the rest of Floyd's catalog.

Discipline is never an end in it self, only a means to an end.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 18:16
almost all of Pink Floyd's albums. So I vote for Floyd although Led Zeppelin is an awesome band too

stan the man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 18:54
Originally posted by JohnSnow JohnSnow wrote:

Zep is alright but, they are more of a dullard rock band.  They had their moments, they had a great drummer, but they were trapped in their music.  Pink Floyd was constantly progressing throughout the 60's and 70's. 

i disagree.  Led zeppelin progressed from album to album.  Led zeppelin I was bluesy- then they went to more hard rock in Led Zeppelin II -then they went folky in Led zeppelin III and so on and so forth.  i do however like Pink floyd more though.  I agree that pink floyd progressed more then Led zeppelin.  But zeppelin defenatly did progress.  I love them both but floyd gets my vote. 

true as a lobster in a pteredaktyl's underpants.

AngleofRepose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 19:03
You fools. Why compare these bands? They sound very different. The
glory of these two bands is that they're the two best from the 70s and yet
you can love them both unconditionally because they're so different.

PA forumers throw around the phrase 'too different to compare' a lot, but
this time it is appropriate. If you prefer one of them fine, but they can't
possibly be juxaposed in a hope to determine a better.
Pneubauer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 21:29
Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd may sound completely different, but Zeppelin is just more fun to listen to, no matter the mood or setting. I suppose there would be some situations in which you'd rather be listening to PF, but... for the most part, I know I'd rather be listening to Black Dog or Rock n Roll or the Immigrant song... or anything else by Zep I suppose... its all really good! Ha, I usually get annoyed that people go on and on about how influencial they are and how original their music is... and they did do a fair amount of 'ripping off' other artists... but I just like the way Zeppelin does it!

Ah I love watching the live DVDs too... forget what theyre called... anyone know what Im talkin about? That DVD set with the rock formation on the front.... and.. the thingy...

Well whatever, all I know is, if I ever manage to get myself a car, I'm gonna be the only guy drivin down the road blastin 'Rock n Roll' outta my speakers instead of some giant mess of crap by 50 cent... or Lloyd Banks... or 'The Game' or some other filthy rich idiot who got shot in his pinky finger and some other non-vital body part and owns a multi million dollar record empire for that reason alone...
SirPsycho388 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2006 at 21:38

Wow this is hard! -- Both are incredibley talented and original and crucial to the evolution of music.

I think it comes down to what I'm in the mood to listen to more, and that would probably be LED ZEPPELIN. I think they satisfy a wider range of styles and moods than Floyd. Zeppelin can have so straight up rockers, long bluesy jams, and even some progressive trips (i.e. No Quarter). I feel like I listened to Floyd more when I'm chilled out or in a prog mood (which is alot tho).

Even tho it's impossible for me to decide, I'm gonna throw my vote to Led Zeppelin.

Strangers passing in the street by chance two separate glances meet and I am you and what I see is me. And do I take you by the hand and lead you through the land and help me understand the best I can
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 08:09
Love em both very much 2 of the greates bands ever, but if i must shose Pink Floyd.
Rael72 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 14:58
Originally posted by Zitro Zitro wrote:

Whaaaa...

Led zeppelin needs more votes than this!

Best Band on Earth!! prog or not ... it kicks even Yes' butt.

Individually, every member of Zep is a better musician than any member of Floyd.  Also, their songs are better and more diverse.  Pink Floyd is THE over-rated prog band.  Led Zeppelin wrote what is widely excepted as the greatest rock song ever.  With Floyd, it's the same droning, depressing song over and over again.  I really don't see any complexity in any of their music...sure, they do concept albums, but it's like the same song for 50 minutes!  They ought to change it up a little (The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Tales From Topographic Oceans, etc...).
My grip must be flipping
Cos his handshake keeps slipping
My hopes keep on dipping
And his lips keep on smiling all the time
Asyte2c00 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 15:07
Originally posted by Zitro Zitro wrote:

Whaaaa...

Led zeppelin needs more votes than this!

Best Band on Earth!! prog or not ... it kicks even Yes' butt.

You are sadly deluded

chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 15:07
Originally posted by Rael72 Rael72 wrote:

Individually, every member of Zep is a better musician than any member of Floyd.  Also, their songs are better and more diverse.  Pink Floyd is THE over-rated prog band.  Led Zeppelin wrote what is widely excepted as the greatest rock song ever.  With Floyd, it's the same droning, depressing song over and over again.  I really don't see any complexity in any of their music...sure, they do concept albums, but it's like the same song for 50 minutes!  They ought to change it up a little (The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Tales From Topographic Oceans, etc...).

*yawn*

_alex_ View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 15:23

Originally posted by Guests Guests wrote:

lol what the helllll. like all replys here are saying ZEPPELIN!. but pink floyd is winning ... i guess pink floyd fans are just too stoned to reply

I have to say that i agree with you most PF fan(me) do like a toke once in a while.

Rosescar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 15:46
Originally posted by eduardossc eduardossc wrote:

Zeppelin is "stairway to heaven", "Kashmir" and "No quarter" plus a bunch of songs that all sound as either "Rock and roll", "Black dog", "Dazed and confused" and "You shook me".

You don't know sh*t about Led Zeppelin, do you?

It will always be easier to mention 15 some songs by Zeppelin because they last for only 4 minutes or less.

See my previous comment.

Plus, Pink Floyd were much more diverse,

Yeah, their line-up has changed a lot.

that keyboard reminds me of a video game after making enough points for a "bonus life".

DRINGDRING

I GOT A BIKE YOU CAN RIDE IT IF YOU LIKE

Seriously, I love Pink Floyd but Led Zep, as an "overall" band is far more interesting. Pink Floyd obviously completely kicks their ass on prog level.

My music!

"THE AUDIENCE WERE generally drugged. (In Holland, always)." - Robert Fripp
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 16:11

Floyd & Zep cant really be compared. Floyd are pure prog and Zep are just superb rock with occasional prog leanings. Both are 'awsome' bands in their own right IMO.

When Zep do prog out (Rain Song, No Quater, Achilles Last Stand etc) they are mindblowing!

Sorry, but I cant vote for one over the other..

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
oracus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2006 at 17:05
Led Zeppelin !

Winter Wine View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 11:09
Led Zeppelin win versus any other band in the world. They are the greatest band that ever lived. And do I care if you think different? no.
My computer's broke
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 11:37
Originally posted by robertplantowns robertplantowns wrote:

There is NO COMPARISON between Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.  I'm a HUGE Floyd fan and I can still say Zeppelin wins all day long and for every reason.  Pink Floyd's songwriting isn't more creative or complex than Led Zeppelin, it's actually more simplistic. 

Page vs. Gilmour: PAGE's classic riffs and awesome solos CANNOT BE TOUCHED BY Gilmour, the emotion in his solos are much more moving and ooze with feeling.  Page is the most soulful guitarist ever and although Gilmour is great too he doesn't come close.

Plant vs. Waters and Gimour: this is an area that is comparable in quality although not substantially.  Pink Floyd has some GREAT vocals like 'Echoes' but Robert Plant is much more energetic, passionate, moving, and soulful.

Jon Paul Jones vs. Roger Waters: Jon Paul Jones is one of the best bassists ever, his bass lines are so active and add so much to the music.  I don't think I've ever heard any bass playing even worth mentioning from Waters.

Jon Paul Jones vs. Richard Wright  Jon Paul Jones is a BETTER keyboard and piano player than Wright, just listen to the extended piano solo in the bootleg DESTROYER and you will agree.  He is also a better songwriter than Richard Wright

John Bonham vs. Nick Mason: Best rock and roll drummer of all time compared to one of the worst.

Led Zeppelin's music is actually more creative and diverse than Pink Floyd's music in my opinion.  They had moving soulful blues songs like Ten Years Gone.  Pseudo-metal in Achilles Last Stand.  Progressive rock with No Quarter and Carouselambra,  and moving love songs like Babe I'm Gonna Leave you, and Since i've been loving you.  I don't think it's possible to be moved by a Pink Floyd song but Led Zeppelin is SOO MOVING and their music is much more effective in conveying emotions, which is what rock is ALL ABOUT!    In general each Led Zeppelin song conveys a completely different sound and Pink Floyd's sound is mostly homogeous. 

"We've got to get in to get out"
matti meikäläin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 11:56
Pink floyd !! Their music and especially music is much more better 
daz2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2006 at 11:57
PINK FLOYD
In the constellation of cygnus,There lurks a mysterious force...The black hole