FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedI < 3 King Crimson !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2006 at 23:37
I was surprised by "Discipline," but really enjoyed it on the first listen.
However, I can't say the ame about "Beat," and "Three of a Perfect Pair." To
me they seem like uninspired retreads of the first. Including an embarassing
attempt at pop. After some time off, they came back in force with "Thrak."
Once again updating their sound. I actually heard "Power to Believe" first,
and loved it. Then I went back for the others, and loved it.
progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 13:51

I'd say

POWER TO BELIEVE

THRAK

THREE OF A PERFECT PAIR

... E N E L B U N K E R...
Robin View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 16:00
After 'Red', every studio album is very good, although they are different
from each other.

In the 80's they released three albums: Discipline (10/10) Beat (8/10) and
Three Of A Perfect Pair (7/10) There's also a GREAT live-set available of
this line-up, called 'Absent Lovers' (10/10)

In the 90's, they released the EP "VROOOM", which I recommend you. Add
the EP with the full studio-album "Thrak". It's not as great as other Kc-
albums, but it's good.

In 2000, Kc released 'The ConstruKction Of Light' followed up by the
similar "The Power To Believe". Both albums are exciting and good, but
you really miss Tony and Bill.

I think it's good Tony Levin is back with King Crimson right now. :) The
band is working on new material.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2006 at 16:30
Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

Originally posted by Trotsky Trotsky wrote:

I don't know Power To Believe, but I have all the others ... and the other day I was looking at my KC collection, and I remember thinking "wish I'd stopped at Red" ... a controversial view I know

Sorry to be discouraging ... but I do believe that my favourite KC albums are that run from In The Court to Red ... and that the following albums aren't to my taste ...

In fact, I actually prefer The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles and Fripp to the 80s and 90s stuff ... If you like 60s psych then definitely check that one out

Agree! i don't even want to know what KC did after 75!

Then you're missing in some good music my friend. Just don't expect the same KC as in the 70's

mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 00:50
   And I say again without wanting to seem too insistent, if you like the early KC try 21st. CENTURY SCHIZOID BAND. It's both old and new and very very good.[apologies for this thred creep]
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
Tenth Chaffinch View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 00:54
Discipline was a step in the right direction. With the polyrhythmic guitar licks of Thela Hun Ginjeet (which I discovered recently is an anagram for "heat in the jungle"), the signature Belew whammy bar use, and the overall complexity of the songs. Beat and TOAPP are good as well, but Crimson seemed to be rehashing the same practices developed in Discipline. Thrak brought a totally new edge with the intense "double-trio" lineup and their most recent releases (ConstruKction, Believe) are both powerful and complex albums.

I can speak no ill of King Crimson, past or present
www.myspace.com/fatherunderground
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 11:26

I don't know Power To Believe, but I have all the others ... and the other day I was looking at my KC collection, and I remember thinking "wish I'd stopped at Red" ... a controversial view I know >>> Clap

Sorry to be discouraging ... but I do believe that my favourite KC albums are that run from In The Court to Red ... and that the following albums aren't to my taste ...

In fact, I actually prefer The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles and Fripp to the 80s and 90s stuff ... If you like 60s psych then definitely check that one out >>>Clap

I fully agree with this

I do not appreciate much the 80's Talking Heads album (uuuuuuhhhmmmm!.....; I mean the 80's Crimson albumsWink) and wish they callede themselves Discipline

Thrak is a very respectable but difficult album (Vrooom was the studio pre-final version and are a bit more accessible) >> the double trio live was much more impressive in concert than in the studio 

but TDOL and TPTB are not good IMHO
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Explorer-eighth View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 18:56
I have just listened to "The Sheltering Sky" from "Discipline" and "Dinosaur" from "Thrak" on the Progarchive mp3 free tracks section.

"The sheltering sky" sounds more like a cross between Tangerine Dream's Sorcerer and African tribal music.  All the wonderful classical and jazz influences and the interesting variations of 1968-74 have been banished on this one and it does nothing for me.  Is it representative of the whole album?

"Dinosaur" sounds just like an ordinary rock track and the repetition in it, especially in the lyrics, does nothing for me at all.

Could I be wasting my time with any of the post-1974 albums?Disapprove

The music I enjoy is complex; varied; deep and well played.
crimson thing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 19:10
I really like "The Power to Believe" - its as if the band suddenly woke up after years of going through the motions & started to be both original & solid together.

On the other hand, Ive tried several times & cant really get the point of Thrak. It seems to me that they came up with half a dozen decent riffs, but didnt really know how to develop them; a big contrast with the track "Red", where a good riff was taken through the changes to a logical conclusion - its heavy metal played by campanologists!
Grimm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2006 at 20:54
For something completely different but still very much King Crimson, pick up a copy of Thrakattack, if you can find one. All live instrumentals and very cool sounding (Thrak tour, double-trio lineup). More ambient than maby you are used to, but the sounds these guys create on this one are not to be missed. Dinner music for people who aren't hungry. Besides, you can't go wrong with a song like "Mother Hold The Candle Steady While I Shave The Chicken's Lip"
Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be or seem to be self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free
time.
John Gargo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 09:41
DISCIPLINE was very shocking to me on my first listen, having been familiar with King Crimson's 70s material first... I learned to like it though, and very soon, to love it.  Now I'm obsessed with the thing, and wouldn't hesitate at all to rank it over some of their earlier material (although RED is still their greatest album).  To hear people dismiss it as a Talking Heads album (although I'm also a fan of that band as well) is rather ignorant and ignores the fact that it's one of the band's most complicated and intricately constructed masterpieces... it just grows and grows upon repeated listens.  A masterpiece.

THREE OF A PERFECT PAIR is also very much worth checking out, and is quite underrated... at its very best, it almost matches DISCIPLINE.  At its worst, it's a very very good album.  I would rank it as my second favorite of the 80s trilogy, and also essential to anyone who has more than a passing interest in this band.  As a trilogy, the King Crimson 80s albums represent the pinnacle of 80s prog, surpassing Yes' studio output from this period, not to mention even Marillion's work, which is excellent in its own right.

The more I listen to King Crimson, the more I am convinced that they were, are, and always will be the greatest that prog had to offer.
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 10:07
Originally posted by Bj-1 Bj-1 wrote:

Try Three of a Perfect Pair.

Or if you haven't heard their live album released after Red (named USA) get that one!!!

Yes, get that one. Absolutely essential! My favorite by King Crimson by far.
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2006 at 11:13

In fact, I actually prefer The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles and Fripp to the 80s and 90s stuff ... If you like 60s psych then definitely check that one out

Sounds very yummy. I heard some samples and they were mostly spoken word humor things. And I definetely like 60's psych.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123