Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre you a prog type?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 18:06
Originally posted by jojim jojim wrote:

Soooooooo, we didn't find out what makes people listen to prog. IF not the lack of girls, feelings, fear of the future. What is it then?Sometimes I suppose that it was the awful relationship to my parents (esp. father). Other time I think it is a kind of yearning to be in an other place - far away. Like a sailor discovering foreign countries and islands. And sometimes I think that I'm a pretty nervous person to keep track of most of the prog songs. If I'm seriousl: most of them sounds very harsh and chaotic, not soft, very energetic, very upsetting. Most people don't even bear it just to listen to it. They cannot stand it!!! - I can.So - what is the secret?Thanks for the overall interesting discussion anyway. Perhaps someone has a clue - and will let us having a short insight.

Prog certainly took me somewhere else. To, what I percieved to be a better place than the world around me. I had a difficult teenage life; my father died and school stressed me out. Music, especially prog hauled me through my teens like a good dependable friend. By the time I reached my twenties, and I settled down a bit, I actually drifted away from prog for a while; almost as if I didn't need the escapism. But, of course I went back to it purely through realising that it was emotionally and technically superior music to everything else I had been listening to in my 'prog free' days.

Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 18:14
I'm sorry to hear about your childhood man. But it's good to see that you went back to prog. Clap
Valarius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 18:15
My first steps to prog probably started with Metallica. So I believe the secret to prog is Metallica. Tongue
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 19:32
Well, I do have a girlfriend, I have few but genuine friends, i dont like big crowds, I hate partying, I listen to music peferably with a dim light,...  and thats about it, I think....

JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 19:34
Originally posted by Valarius Valarius wrote:

My first steps to prog probably started with Metallica. So I believe the secret to prog is Metallica. Tongue
My prog interest started with Uriah Heep, Rainbow, Styx etc. And yes, Metallica, Megadeth and Dream Theater played a big part.

heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 20:19
Yeah, prog for me started with Metallicas ...And Justice for all *wtf its not letting me use commas ANYWAYS* and actually Co&Cas In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3. And yes, Dream Theater made me aware of the genre, and theyre still my top band, along w *wtf no backslashes either* Pink Floyd, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Fates Warning, Symphony X, and TMV. Other than the girl situation *pardon the overcomplaining im kinda going through a really tough period* Im pretty social though, but I do enjoy being alone w/ music *THERE'S the backslash...and apostrophe's! and comma,s !*

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 21:52
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

I dont know, do all progers hate most of the modern world?
I know I do. I don't listen to the same music, read the same books, wear the same clothes, or watch the same TV, short of Simpsons and Family Guy.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2006 at 22:13
Just the pleasure that comes from listening to something that is very much like a puzzle, or a good book, I guess. I'm very much into Art, and I think prog is just a good way to force music into that direction. Lack of girls... no, not for me at least.
ĦBeware of the Bee!

Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 02:53
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Yes, most aspects of it, apart from the Internet which is the perfect medium to share our disgust!

So true !TongueWink
progrockgirl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 03:42
If there is really a prog type, then I suppose that I fit the mold. I'm basically introverted and love to absorb myself in my interests, which are not mainstream. I love to sit and listen to my prog for hours, and the time passes so quickly. I've had a concurrent interest in reggae, but it lacks the compelling complexity and technical brilliance of prog. And yes, I despise modern pop culture, at least here in America. 
oracus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 18:16
I dont think that i am that 'prog type', because always making joke, going out, talk with other and stuff. BUT here in town tha i study i feel like a freak. Everybody think of me like" ah, that guy who listens weird music?'. I hate that, i dont know people who love prog, or even love their music. I just lay down in the night and enjoy prog...That's life :)

oracus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 18:20

Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

I know I do. I don't listen to the same music, read the same books, wear the same clothes, or watch the same TV, short of Simpsons and Family Guy.

Sorry for the spam but i didn see your replay man. I totally agree with you. Simpsons, Davinci Code, Skateboard clothing, 'Friends' series etc..

walrus333 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 18:47
Yeah the guy whos really into music, has a almost noexistant sociallife is its not music realted, none of the (few) friends he has are female. Thats me, im starting to get better about being social and stuff, just not with mainstream society i am seeking out other "weird" people like myself to hang out with weather their weirdness stems form prog or not Big smileLOL
If anyone knows where I can get a copy of some Flute and Voice (Indo-Prog/Raga Rock) albums please PM me! Many thanks!
Barla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 12:45
Well, I think I'm not a prog type ... I've a lot of friends (male and female) and usually go out with them. Actually I don't have a girlfriend. What happens with me is that I'm not friend of "popular" people in school ...
Jimbo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 18:35
I'm probably not the prog "type", if such a thing exists.

I played football (soccer) for nine years, and have always loved sports. I don't have that many friends, just five very close ones. I don't like crowds, I'll admit that, and you wouldn't get me into a "disco" for any money, but that certainly doesn't mean I don't know how to have fun when the feeling strikes me. Wink

I look perfectly normal (I think Confused), and I get along with most people pretty easily, but I'm not too good at "small talk", because to me it sounds like a complete waste of time. I like to discuss real topics. I don't talk about prog much (outside this place), mainly because no-one's interested. LOL I'm not shy, but not too "aggressive" either. 
I|I|I|I|I View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2006 at 22:55
I wouldn't necessarily classify myself as a prog-type, but as a music nerd in general (some would probably call me a loser, but we'll get to the refuting evidence laterWink)

I listen to everything (not just prog) but prog is probably my favorite genre. I love to sing (usually classical, but some jazz/theater pieces) and I love writing music, most of which is "proggy". I play a lot of jazz on the clarinet, too, and I also play piano on which I do jazz/classical/avant-garde kind of improvisation. As for listening, I'm seriously all over the place... jazz, classical, hip-hop, world, rock, ambient, electronica, metal, and of course, prog.

Most people who are like this have pretty much never seen a girl in their life. Well, somehow I got lucky - I'm relatively decent-looking and well-spoken, and I can hold my own in social situations without question. I've had a few girlfriends, and I do my share of drugs upon occasion. I also involve myself in things outside of music, like theater and just chilling out, etc. I also do relatively well in school.

So there ya have me, kind of a music nerd with social capabilities and stuff. Certainly not the general prog-stereotype.
Go and listen to my music.

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=31725
Serguilloche View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2006 at 06:03
I would say 'No, I'm not the prog type' from what you're describing.  I didn't really think there was a 'type' for ages, until I settled into my new job.

People couldn't believe that I was a scifi/fantasy reading, prog and metal loving person.  They call me the 'posh, arrogant bloke with the long hair'.  What the hell else did they expect me to listen to?  Prog can be a bit nerdy, but at the same time it's also a sort of musical arrogance.

I have no problems with women, they like a bit of mystery I suppose, and most blokes are just open books, while I keep my secrets to myself.  I also have no problems approaching a woman I fancy.  IMO this is the big issue to a lot of people - women generally only go out with men who ask them out.  Learning to handle rejection is a major life skill - I know people with 1st class degrees with crappy jobs, because they're too scared to put themselves out there in case they don't the first job they go for.  Same with women, if one rejects, never mind, play the numbers game and learn from experience.  Remember all those beautiful, intelligent women hanging out with stupid, unsuitable men?  It's because those blokes are too stupid to feel rejected so they'll ask anyone out, and the beautiful woman is tired of waiting for the intelligent rich guy to ask her because he's too nervous, she ends up going out with the moron.

To paraphrase Anthony Robbins - 'Imagine all the things you could do if you weren't scared'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123