Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSaga - Prog or not? Comments are now allo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Do you think Saga have a right to be included as a 'Prog' band?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [64.29%]
20 [35.71%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2006 at 15:04
Originally posted by Certif1ed Certif1ed wrote:

Later albums are more pop based or straight rock and often cliched.

You could say the same about Genesis, Yes, ELP, Banco...
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2006 at 12:42
I've only heard one live Saga album. It is somewhat prog, but it is live, so I don't know how their overall sound is.
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 04:28
Early Saga was quite prog I think. But it must be said, that has faded over the years.
Some time ago progarchives put this band in the categorie "Art rock" (nowadays crossover). That's a possibility, isn't it ? I agree more with that than prog related.
By the way I voted prog rock.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 06:56
Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

Early Saga was quite prog I think. But it must be said, that has faded over the years.
Some time ago progarchives put this band in the categorie "Art rock" (nowadays crossover). That's a possibility, isn't it ? I agree more with that than prog related.

I agree 100% with this.  I think that Saga are a perfect candidate to be moved to the renamed Crossover subgenre.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 12:11
ahhhh.. Dean and I, along with the admin team, will take a look at this... thanks guys.. ..... and gals HeartLOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BilboBaggins View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 14:22
Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

Wow, it's a long time since this poll was started by myself...smiles

I think Saga have always been on and off with the use of prog elements, even within individual albums, but I have to say that if you are truly subjective, you will see that it is way more on than off. by contrast, I could level the same argument against several other 'prog' bands, that are not labelled 'Prog Related'. I am pleased that throughout this poll, people were leaning more towards 'prog' than 'prog related' by some margin, and I also feel that prior to the new categories, they were far more suited to 'Art Rock' than the 'Prog Related' category. I still feel that, even within the more 'pop' orientated material, there are strong prog elements, and the mistake most people make, is to allow the overall sound and feel, to cloud the more intricate work inherent in most of what Saga produce.

I think 'Crossover' is far more apt than any other currently available category, so I for one would be extremely pleased to see them out of the 'Prog Related' category, out of respect for their very unique contribution to Prog.

For those of you who feel the proggier (excuse my invention of this adjetive'...smiles)side is limited to the earlier period of Saga's career, try listening to 'Trust', especially the last few tracks, and listen in particular to the counterpoint contained in the last track, 'On The Other Side'

Many thanks to all of those contributed to this poll...each and everyone of you!...smiles
Thoughtfullness
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2007 at 04:14
I must confess I only heard one full album of Saga, which is meant to be their most 'prog' album 'Generation 13'. I think it's pretty poor stuff, personally; I've tried to get into it many, many times but it's a messy affair, IMHO. But could it be called prog? No question about that, I just don't like it very much is all. Have to say though that the 80s stuff I heard was more AOR.
Komodo dragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2007 at 19:41
yesssssss they have tree or more albums that is pure prog so i said yesss they are prog
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2007 at 10:18

True, Saga dabbled in pop in their mid career, but listen to the first four albums, then Generation 13 and every album since Full Circle (including the excellent House of Cards, Network, Trust and 10,000 Days)and tell me they're not prog !  Watch for that incredible keyboard-guitar interplay, the fact that Sadler sings, plays keyboards and bass, Jim Crichton plays bass & keyboards, Gilmour plays keyboards and clarinet, the complex arrangments, a sound they can call their own, the obvious Camel and Gentle Giant influences in some places, and the Chapters...  and what you have is a full-fledged prog band.  I always thought that putting them in prog-related was an insult to their masterliness.

"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123