Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat happened to TOP 100???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 18:24
Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

Yes , there is been a upgrade to the algo , it's now based on the more adequate weighted average calculation (more info here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighted_average )

;-) Any comments sor far ?
What exactly is it weighted on? And, I don't see how an album with one rating of 4 stars could get an average rating of 3.46. Could you explain more? I'm curious about exactly how this is calculated.
OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 18:25
Bacamarte is amazing and I'm glad they are in there (didn't notice that earlier) Thumbs%20Up
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
martinn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 18:26
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

It looks a bit weird and not as accurate as the previous one to be honest...

Seconded!
Syzygy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 18:29
The top 100 still contains almost no albums that I've reviewed, but the current version gives a much better overview of the different genres than before.

I think that there should be an algorithm that takes Kobaian lyrics into account Wink.
'Like so many of you
I've got my doubts about how much to contribute
to the already rich among us...'

Robert Wyatt, Gloria Gloom

Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 18:49
The algorithm that is used here reduces the influence of the number of ratings further compared to the former algorithm, at least that's what I get from observing the list.
But how is it possible that (as an example) the weighted average of CTTE was 4.58 (I seem to remember, the old algorithm also weighted collaborators 2, >50 words 1.5 and others 1) and now it's 4.55 while the album holds the HIGHEST number of reviews?? 
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
Yorkie X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 18:53
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

The top 100 still contains almost no albums that I've reviewed, but the current version gives a much better overview of the different genres than before.

I think that there should be an algorithm that takes Kobaian lyrics into account Wink.
lol  LOL
Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 18:56
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

Been thinking about this change this morning.

Many of us experienced prog-heads profess our disinterest in the Top 100 (doesn't stop us posting though). So who is the Top 100 for?

In my opinion it serves the newer prog-lover, someone looking to build up their infant collection.

That's why a weighting for popularity was very important in the old system. A newcomer to prog needs, surely, to listen to the most widely acclaimed progressive music before branching out. Yes, they should branch out, which is why the site has 'Top' lists in all the different and challenging prog genres. But listening to the top 100 should be the first aim.

That 'popularity' weighting has largely gone.

So what will happen now? Some of the more obscure albums lauded by a few are now in the Top 100. Newcomers to prog will purchase them. They may find the music too much for their uneducated ears, and put prog aside altogether, or at the least discard the genre from which comes the album they purchased.

My point? The change is great for me: it highlights some new music to get hold of (I've not heard BACAMARTE, for example). But the Top 100 is not for me, a prog lover since the early '70s. It's for the newcomer, who will, I think, be somewhat disconcerted by some of the music they may inadvertently end up with.

ClapClapClap This is also true... I myself did that... Followed the top-100... Now... Bacamarte? You know how easy is it to get a cd like that here in the US? PFM? (yes, with 50 USD)... We're making prog a difficult music to find for new people.... if we already agreed in that the top-100 is NOT artistically relevant, then let's make it useful for new proggsters, instead of just trying it to be as obscure as possible.

Yoy're talking like the new algo's made to include PFM in the top ten, as well as including more obscure albums in general. Its not. its obviously trying to be more accurate. If its successfull at that or not is another question.

What an album costs in the US is irrelevant. The result of that would of course mean leaving out almost every non-englishspeaking record.

Its useful learning new proggsters (especially in the UK and the US) that masterpieces of prog comes from all over the world.

Edited by Rocktopus - July 10 2007 at 18:59
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 19:05
Originally posted by Sckxyss Sckxyss wrote:

Originally posted by M@X M@X wrote:

Yes , there is been a upgrade to the algo , it's now based on the more adequate weighted average calculation (more info here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weighted_average )

;-) Any comments sor far ?
What exactly is it weighted on? And, I don't see how an album with one rating of 4 stars could get an average rating of 3.46. Could you explain more? I'm curious about exactly how this is calculated.
I don't care either way about the chart positions (obviously I like to see Floyd do well, but that's personal bias), however as a technical-type person I am intrigued by the maths behind the algorithm.

I haven't a clue how the weightings are done but I have a feeling that the weighting is based upon the ratings of other albums by the same artist.

Take a look at this: QUATERMASS "The Long Road"  a single 190-word review by a non-colaborator/reviewer giving it a 1-star rating, yet the total is 3.51.

The only way I can see this occuring is if the 3.66 rating for Quatermass's previous album is taken into concideration. Confused

This would explain CTTE sudden drop from the top three.

Edited by darqdean - July 10 2007 at 19:07
What?
Evandro Martini View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 19:17
From what I've seen, this new algo is much simpler.
The former considerated the note it received from all reviews (e.g: 10 reviews, 8 of 4, 1 of 3 and one of 5stars, would resul on 4.00) and also the amount of reviews.

Now, I think this new one is only judging the average note. Of course, it has a pre-requisit of a number of reviews, like 30 or 40, otherwise an album reviewed by just one person, as masterpiece, would be on top.
"You’ll never make any money playing music that people can’t sing.” Keith Emerson's father
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 19:25
Originally posted by Evandro Martini Evandro Martini wrote:

From what I've seen, this new algo is much simpler.
The former considerated the note it received from all reviews (e.g: 10 reviews, 8 of 4, 1 of 3 and one of 5stars, would resul on 4.00) and also the amount of reviews.

Now, I think this new one is only judging the average note. Of course, it has a pre-requisit of a number of reviews, like 30 or 40, otherwise an album reviewed by just one person, as masterpiece, would be on top.
I think that you are partially correct. in that the chart is now just the average rating.

But how the average ratings are calculated has changed, so your example of (10 reviews, 8 of 4, 1 of 3 and one of 5stars) now yields a lower value than 4.00
What?
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 19:47
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by russellk russellk wrote:

Been thinking about this change this morning. Many of us experienced prog-heads profess our disinterest in the Top 100 (doesn't stop us posting though). So who is the Top 100 for? In my opinion it serves the newer prog-lover, someone looking to build up their infant collection. That's why a weighting for popularity was very important in the old system. A newcomer to prog needs, surely, to listen to the most widely acclaimed progressive music before branching out. Yes, they should branch out, which is why the site has 'Top' lists in all the different and challenging prog genres. But listening to the top 100 should be the first aim. That 'popularity' weighting has largely gone. So what will happen now? Some of the more obscure albums lauded by a few are now in the Top 100. Newcomers to prog will purchase them. They may find the music too much for their uneducated ears, and put prog aside altogether, or at the least discard the genre from which comes the album they purchased. My point? The change is great for me: it highlights some new music to get hold of (I've not heard BACAMARTE, for example). But the Top 100 is not for me, a prog lover since the early '70s. It's for the newcomer, who will, I think, be somewhat disconcerted by some of the music they may inadvertently end up with.

ClapClapClap This is also true... I myself did that... Followed the top-100... Now... Bacamarte? You know how easy is it to get a cd like that here in the US? PFM? (yes, with 50 USD)... We're making prog a difficult music to find for new people.... if we already agreed in that the top-100 is NOT artistically relevant, then let's make it useful for new proggsters, instead of just trying it to be as obscure as possible.

I have yet to pay $50, or any price close to that for a PFM CD. Where do you shop?

Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 20:01
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Well, it's certainly shaken things up a bit (CTTE is down at 5). I still believe that proto-prog and prog-related acts should not be included.

I've always thougt that, as well. Proto and Related should be on the site, but not on top 100, methinks.

Edited by Shakespeare - July 10 2007 at 20:06
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 20:08
Originally posted by OpethGuitarist OpethGuitarist wrote:

Bacamarte is amazing and I'm glad they are in there (didn't notice that earlier) Thumbs%20Up

Now if only I could find somewhere to BUY THEIR MUSIC!!!Angry
Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 20:09
Images and Words at 66

what a fu**ing crimeAngry

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 20:16
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

http://www.progwalhalla.com/ definitely has it

lots of places to buy listed on this thread: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39611&KW=buy

What?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 20:49
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

Could anyone with better knowledge of math explain the new algorithm and it's characteristics? The Wikipedia article speakes Chinese to me. Confused

If you're familar with how GPA's are calculated in college that's a weighted average.

Using wiki's notation:

Let me use the GPA as an example. X-bar would be your GPA. To find this you use two inputs, one being X.
X is the grade you recieve for a given class. If you got an A, X=4. If you got a B, X=3. A C, X=2. Etc.
The second input is W. W is how many credits your course is. A 4 credit course has W=4. A 3 credit course, W=3. You get the idea.

Now say you take 3 courses,
  • Course 1 is worth 3 credits and you earn an A.
  • Course 2 is worth 4 credits and you also earn an A.
  • Course 3 is worth only 2 credits and you earn a B.
So your values are as follows:
X1=4    W1=3
X2=4    W2=4
X3=3    W3=2

so your GPA, X-bar, is calculated like so

[ (X1*W1)+(X2*W2)+(X3*W3) ]
divided by
W1 + W2 + W3

So your GPA will be 3.78 because you have after plugging in ( 12 + 16 + 6 ) / (3 + 4 + 2)

In the case of the albums I'm assuming X will be the rating a reviewer gives the album, and W will be the  status of the reviewer. A rating without a review being W=1, a rating with a review being W=2, and a rating with review from a collab being W=3?

Max or somebody will have to clarify exactly the inputs. I hope that clears it up.

"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 20:54
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Could anyone with better knowledge of math explain the new algorithm and it's characteristics? The Wikipedia article speakes Chinese to me. Confused

If you're familar with how GPA's are calculated in college that's a weighted average.

Using wiki's notation:

Let me use the GPA as an example. X-bar would be your GPA. To find this you use two inputs, one being X.
X is the grade you recieve for a given class. If you got an A, X=4. If you got a B, X=3. A C, X=2. Etc.
The second input is W. W is how many credits your course is. A 4 credit course has W=4. A 3 credit course, W=3. You get the idea.

X1=4    W1=3
X2=4    W2=4
X3=3    W3=2

divided by
W1 + W2 + W3

So your GPA will be 3.78 because you have after plugging in ( 12 + 16 + 6 ) / (3 + 4 + 2)

In the case of the albums I'm assuming X will be the rating a reviewer gives the album, and W will be the  status of the reviewer. A rating without a review being W=1, a rating with a review being W=2, and a rating with review from a collab being W=3?

Max or somebody will have to clarify exactly the inputs. I hope that clears it up.

That's all extremely basic and straight forward, AND not different from the former algorithm! But how have THE NUMBER OF RATINGS been included here? Because I think there is the BIG difference with the former algorithm (which btw I think was better, and probably more stable for all ratings with more than 10 entries).
To be the one who seeks so I may find .. (Metallica)
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 21:01
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

http://www.progwalhalla.com/ definitely has it

Indeed, that's where i got the album (for 20 euro which is not unreasonable)
So all arguments that music like Bacamarte's or PFM's is unbuyable or unreasonable pricy don't stick.

I agree with Opethguitarist that they're very very good. They're also not as obscure as people here seem to think, the album was in top 100 before the changes (around  70 th position iirc) and i guess that most people here who are interested in symphonic prog know the album or have at least heard about the band.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 21:04
Originally posted by Soul Dreamer Soul Dreamer wrote:

Using wiki's notation:

X1=4    W1=3
X2=4    W2=4
X3=3    W3=2

divided by
W1 + W2 + W3

That's all extremely basic and straight forward, AND not different from the former algorithm! But how have THE NUMBER OF RATINGS been included here? Because I think there is the BIG difference with the former algorithm (which btw I think was better, and probably more stable for all ratings with more than 10 entries).
I agree, the weighting method Equality 7-2521 has explained is the old system.

Looking at albums with only one review it seems that anything with 3 or less stars is being marked up, while 4 or more stars gets marked down regardless of who the reviewer is. As someone in another thread has pointed out - a score of 3.54 is being awarded to albums with zero ratings

Because we cannot see all the non-review ratings it is difficult to reverse engineer the method - we are going to have to wait and see if the Admins are going to explain it Wink
What?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 10 2007 at 21:13
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

Originally posted by Soul Dreamer Soul Dreamer wrote:

Using wiki's notation:

X1=4    W1=3
X2=4    W2=4
X3=3    W3=2

divided by
W1 + W2 + W3

I agree, the weighting method Equality 7-2521 has explained is the old system.

Looking at albums with only one review it seems that anything with 3 or less stars is being marked up, while 4 or more stars gets marked down regardless of who the reviewer is. As someone in another thread has pointed out - a score of 3.54 is being awarded to albums with zero ratings

Because we cannot see all the non-review ratings it is difficult to reverse engineer the method - we are going to have to wait and see if the Admins are going to explain it Wink

I just explained the wiki article that Max linked and made predictions about how I thought it applied to the ranking system. As to how it actually does work I'm clueless and I don't care enough to look at some samples and figure it out.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>