Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSgt. Pepper- Overrated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2007 at 15:52
Magical Mystery Tour better than Sgt. Pepper's? Surely you jest. Pepper's is wonderful all the way through, and it tore the walls of rock. Without it there would have been no Magical Mystery Tour. Sgt. Pepper's prved that change could be made to rock. MMT was good, but I'd only give it three stars, while the Sarge gets five without question.
febus View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2007 at 15:55
The few whiners here will never hide the fact that SERGEANT PEPPERS was a groundbreaking work and its ramifications  went well further than the musical world to extend to the modification of the lifestyle of the youth back then , their way of thinking, thus changing the rules of life and ''modernize' our society .

There are people who don't get SERGEANT PEPPERs;some also don't like FOIE GRAS and CHAMPAGNE! Big%20smile I do!!!
Hyperborea View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2007 at 19:07
May i bring my pedantic hat to this great site? Earlier in this discussion i stated that Yellow Submarine had been released before Sgt Peppers, i apologise i was wrong. What i should've said was that Yellow Submarine was recorded before Sgt peppers and a single was released in 1966..the 5th of August to be exact. So, Yellow Submarine was the first concept album the Beatles recorded.....and it's mince, a bit like Sgt Pepper.

I get all Sgt Peppers was/is still doesn't make it  agood album, one of the very few Beatles albums i would not listen to.

Edited by Hyperborea - August 20 2007 at 19:08
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2007 at 03:46
Originally posted by Hyperborea Hyperborea wrote:

May i bring my pedantic hat to this great site? Earlier in this discussion i stated that Yellow Submarine had been released before Sgt Peppers, i apologise i was wrong. What i should've said was that Yellow Submarine was recorded before Sgt peppers and a single was released in 1966..the 5th of August to be exact. So, Yellow Submarine was the first concept album the Beatles recorded.....and it's mince, a bit like Sgt Pepper.

I get all Sgt Peppers was/is still doesn't make it  agood album, one of the very few Beatles albums i would not listen to.

Sorry to be pedantic back but, although the song "Yellow Submarine" was recorded before Sgt Pepper as you say most of the album was recorded afterwards e.g. Hey Bulldog was recorded in Feb 1968. Also it's not really a concept album as the Beatles' songs on it (title track apart) bear no relation to the story in the film. It's a soundtrack.
Hyperborea View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2007 at 19:43
Most of the album was recorded 4 months before the awful grungent poppers was. It was still a story about a yellow submarine, which makes it as conceptual as sgt peppers.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 04:13
Another thing to remember is that the journey from "Help" to "A Day in the Life" took less than 2 years, with Rubber Soul and Revolver in between. Most bands take that long (and more) to release one album these days.
BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2007 at 14:14
Not my favorite Beatles album, but certainly not "overrrated".  
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 12:08
Originally posted by Peto Peto wrote:

I just think that Sgt. Pepper is horrendously overrated.
Yes, just horrendous!Shocked

And don't get me started on violent religious fundamentalism, child labour, or the destruction of the environment -- they're almost as bad! Angry

"Picture yourself in a boat on a river,
With tangerine trees and marmalade skies
Somebody calls you, you answer quite slowly,
A girl with kaleidoscope eyes."

The horror! The horror!

Edited by Peter - August 24 2007 at 12:20
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Floydian42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 14:39
I think the Beatles in general are overrated. I appreciate what they did with music, but some better things came after it. Including some more complicated music. The may have triggered a new wave in music, but that doesn't mean they were the best of the bunch.
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2007 at 14:48
Originally posted by Peto Peto wrote:

This is not an anti-Beatles entry. I just think that Sgt. Pepper is horrendously overrated. Look at the albums that came before and after it - Revolver and Magical mystery tour. Both are much better in terms of songwriting, plus Magoical mystery tour is even more experimental than Sgt.
Revolver and Magical mystery tour should definitely be praised much more than that one as a whole.

What do you think?

Excuse me for just a second

Peto                           

OK...all better.

Wink
KeleCableII View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 17:28
I thank the Beatles for getting things started but lots of bands just did things better.
sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 17:42
Originally posted by KeleCableII KeleCableII wrote:

I thank the Beatles for getting things started but lots of bands just did things better.

That doesn't follow some logic; it's all a matter of tastes (like always). For me, the fact that many bands after The Beatles (mostly prog ones) did more complex, experimental and adventurous music doesn't mean that they were better..... 'Better' is a term of endless connotations...... Don't know where are you based on to say that.

IMO, The Beatles choose the most simple and easy way to get all the average band can desire: popularity, awards and, overall, very good music; complex or not, skilful or not, prog or not......... good music with incredible feeling and creativity...... Aren't those things essential in any incarnation of art?

Big%20smile
The best you can is good enough...
Dim View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2007 at 21:00

Agreed, but not all things... punk
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 11:17

I would prefer you would say "but lots of bands just did things more to my liking." It hard to say the Beatles didn't do it the way they wanted. Being "better" is truly subjective.

The band is incredible. Always was, always will be. In my eyes, you need to understand everything surrounding them in music during the time the were writing. I strongly believe they have done what no other band has ever matched or even come close to.

Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 15:08
Originally posted by StyLaZyn StyLaZyn wrote:

I would prefer you would say "but lots of bands just did things more to my liking." It hard to say the Beatles didn't do it the way they wanted. Being "better" is truly subjective.

The band is incredible. Always was, always will be. In my eyes, you need to understand everything surrounding them in music during the time the were writing. I strongly believe they have done what no other band has ever matched or even come close to.

Everybody seems to forget the most important notion in this debate : context.
Pop and rock music was mainly uncharted territory back then, everything remained to be done.  So it was a lot easier to be original then than it is today.  That is why, I think, this era is regarded as wonderful musically, simply because nothing was done and everyone was eager to explore... until the "Industry" sunk it's teeth in there (but that's another story...).  Let's just say The Beatles are "The Lighthouse Band" from that era, taking the credit for almost everything that happened, but let's face it and be honest with ourselves : they were far from being "The Best", and they were influenced by what was going on around them.  I firmly believe that any other band from that period could have done the same.  Let's also not forget that while they were in their god-awful "bubble gum pop" period, other bands were already being more original, it's just that the popularity of The Beatles overshadowed everything else...
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 15:38
Originally posted by Melomaniac Melomaniac wrote:

Pop and rock music was mainly uncharted territory back then, everything remained to be done.  So it was a lot easier to be original then than it is today.  That is why, I think, this era is regarded as wonderful musically, simply because nothing was done and everyone was eager to explore... until the "Industry" sunk it's teeth in there (but that's another story...).  Let's just say The Beatles are "The Lighthouse Band" from that era, taking the credit for almost everything that happened, but let's face it and be honest with ourselves : they were far from being "The Best", and they were influenced by what was going on around them.  I firmly believe that any other band from that period could have done the same.  Let's also not forget that while they were in their god-awful "bubble gum pop" period, other bands were already being more original, it's just that the popularity of The Beatles overshadowed everything else...

The Beatles quite possibly could be THE most influential band. Most bands looked to them for the new thing. It was exciting to watch them and see what they were going to do next. The Beatles certainly provided a beacon.  They pulled in nothing new, in the sense that their inspiration was as you point out, from other elements surrounding them. Of the top of my head, I can't think of anything truly original, however their artistry, including that of George Martin, put them well ahead of the pack. Not to mention the strong song writing helped keep those hits popping out.. 

Now I want to point out that while any other band had potential to accomplish what the Beatles did, no other band did. What we witnessed were copy cat bands. The Beatles in essence said, "look here's the mold everyone else is following and we are not conforming to it.  Doing what we want with no limitations." Their fame allowed them to do it and still be at the top of the heap. Everyone else said, "if they can do it, so can we." From there we see all types of music come out. And that is one of the most important things to happen to rock music.

Calling them the best depends on how they are being measured, or maybe what is being used to measure them. They were not Prog monsters. But they did provide some of the elements we love. They showed newer bands the way.
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2007 at 15:45

Now I want to point out that while any other band had potential to accomplish what the Beatles did, no other band did. What we witnessed were copy cat bands. The Beatles in essence said, "look here's the mold everyone else is following and we are not conforming to it.  Doing what we want with no limitations." Their fame allowed them to do it and still be at the top of the heap. Everyone else said, "if they can do it, so can we." From there we see all types of music come out. And that is one of the most important things to happen to rock music.

If only for what I bolded out of your text, I agree, they were the most influential band.  Going out of that awful bubble gum period and try something else (not only drugs, but music too!!!)
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 01:05

Not me, for one -- I just can't be bothered always taking this rather arrogant "overrated" stuff seriously all of the time.Stern%20Smile

Ermm But I'll try again, anyway:

To a large extent, to really "get" what the Beatles were able to achieve, you HAD TO BE THERE. (Or, at least, try to find out what things were like, back then.) That's true in general of looking back at a lot of art that was huge or influential in its day (or later): stop judging it by 21st Century standards and expectations, and view it as a window on the past. (This will take effort, though, which puts many off immediately)

Sgt Pepper's came out in '67 (and created a huge stir in the music world) -- not 2007.

(Romeo and Juliet can't just say "screw you, Dad" and run away together to hang out at the mall, if you get my drift!)

If you enjoy modern plays more than Shakespeare, don't really get what he achieved in the context of his day, and can't "relate" to the way his characters speak, then that makes the ol' Bard "overrated," does it?

Art like Sgt Pepper's, or Shakespeare, or Beethoven's Ninth, last and have a place of honour in the annals of art history because they are great, not because we are told to like them, or because all of the great minds who have pronounced this stuff great, and/or have been influenced by it, are deluded, or know less about such things than you.

Having narrower tastes in art, or judging everything by your personal, narrow, modern standards, does not make you "right," and the thousands or millions of appreciative fans, critics and scholars who've come before you suddenly "wrong."

"I don't like it" (or "I don't understand or respect it") does NOT equal "I know the TRUTH. It's not very good, and all of the people who said or say otherwise, are deluded."

Purest ignorant arrogance -- and, in my experience as a teacher (and former student) usually a sign of a youngster who doesn't know what the heck he's talking about, and who just can't be bothered to put in the time and effort needed for deeper understanding, and an informed appreciation for what is before him:

Shocked "I read the first ten pages of Great Expectations and it sucked! I'll just rent the movie for the assignment. R.L. Stine is WAY better, anyway! "

(Or "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like.")

Uh huh. Another expert critic is born....Dead

Edited by Peter - August 27 2007 at 01:12
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Guzzman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 03:31
^^ Thanks for those very true words, Peter !!! Clap  Clap Clap
"We've got to get in to get out"
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2007 at 11:45
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Not me, for one -- I just can't be bothered always taking this rather arrogant "overrated" stuff seriously all of the time.Stern%20Smile

I agree that a person view of that calling something well established over-rated is arrogant. Or worse, stems from an incomplete knowledge base. Sgt. Pepper's has the acclaim of many great artists even up to this day. This doesn't mean that other albums, such as Revolver, or Abbey Road are less important. As far as preference goes, I prefer a few other Beatles albums before SPLHCB, but that is all it is...preference.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>