Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - My lesser known and unknown new prog bands thread
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMy lesser known and unknown new prog bands thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 51>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 19:39
^Why do you post in this thread then?
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 19:47
Originally posted by schizoid_man77 schizoid_man77 wrote:

^Get your own name!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Look at the sig. "You are unique..."
Speesh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 19:54
Originally posted by MajesterX MajesterX wrote:

I don't see the point in starting or listening to a band that tries to re-create 70's symph. prog rock.

The time of progressive rock as it was in the 70's is over, new bands should draw some influence in moderation from those bands, and try to create their own category of music.
Nearly every band on this list that I've heard (which unfortunately isn't that many) does create their own brand or progressive music. After Crying - Overground Music is an all time favorite and unlike anything I've heard, along with everything else I've heard from them. Everything I've heard from Nemo is also very innovative if I remember correctly. What exactly are you basing this on?
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2007 at 20:23
^^You're quite right about Nemo and probably also about After Crying ( i don't know  them so well, I know  that other well known hungary band Solaris  better and they're certainly innovative). Still there certainly are some bands being discussed in the symphonic threads and in this database too that indeed intentionally try to recreate a 70's atmosphere or at least build upon these influences to create a modern symphonic sound, imo there's nothing wrong with that. This music is obviously not interesting to MajesterX  but why should i or others here care? I see that MajesterX likes Dream theater a lot, i like them too but certainly not as much as he does. So i generally  stay out of DT threads and polls or approach them in a mildy positive tone.I suggest to MajesterX  to do the same in regard to modern symph, to each his own.

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 02:55
Let's ignore the negative posts, some progheads on the Forum are very likely to get attention with provocative and nailing posts so: a big hand for innovative and creative, modern sounding bands in this thread like Nemo, After Crying, Kotobel and William Gray, progrock is still a alive and kicking and .. again thanks for your compliments, a real boost for me to keep on reviewing about lesser and unknown new progrock bands Thumbs%20Up
Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 08:32

An overwhelming list, as always, there are many familiar names from the legendary Wink Sypmphonic prog thread, but there ones which are don't know at all, but judging from this review the must be interesting.

Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 09:39
Erik, check the homepage ; I guess ANCESTRY should be on your list
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 09:42
Oh no, another one to look for. Big%20smile

Good review.

Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 10:02
Originally posted by glass house glass house wrote:

Oh no, another one to look for. Big%20smile

Good review.

That was for me?
Thanks a lot, I'm working
LeInsomniac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 12:28
Well Erik you're the one leading the way, we just have to start hearing more of these groups which are, as you well put it, unknown to the big majority of us all. You shouldn't be only A Symphonic Prog Expert, but a Symphonic Prog Expert and Expert In Lesser Known Bands!Thumbs%20Up

Happy Family One Hand Clap, Four Went On But None Came Back
andYouandI45 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 12:43
How did you listen to all of that with out your head exploding?
honganji View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 13:04
Great job, you did!! Smile

By the way, how about Sound Horizon, (famous in Japan, but only anime-fans?!), Vantasma (new comer from Indonesia), Imanissimo (outstanding Indonesian progressive band), Ovni (no.1 band from El Salvador) etc.
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 13:08
Well Erik, a lot of praise here. Look at you gloat. Big%20smile LOL

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 13:15
Well, andYouandI45, as a psychiatric nurse I need moments to relax so all those extensive listening sessions are a way to relax, I am carried away to Progheaven Approve

Prog-jester, you are stealing the show and my compliments with your acclaimed Ancestry review Angry ........................ LOL !

Norbert, I have added bands that are not on Prog Archives, like Szkitia, Random Deeds and Yesterdays from ... Hungary Wink

Lelnsomniac, that sounds good: Lesser And Unknown New Progrock Bands Expert, thanks Thumbs%20Up

Glass House and Dirk, tomorrow Hans from Progwalhalla will be back from his holiday in Spain, I hope to meet him Monday in Amsterdam, I am sure he has lots of new and interesting lesser and unknown progrock bands for me to borrow Approve
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 13:46

I have just updated this thread with the following bands:

Zen Carnival/David O'Loghlen & Cotters Bequest/Hamadryad Live/Magic Pie/The Gourishankar/Karfagen/Wicked Minds Live/Infront

Soon more will follow Thumbs%20Up

Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 13:55
Give him my regards Erik.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 14:00
As I told earlier, Glass House, I never received a single compliment from my father during my childhood so the overwhelming reactions in this thread are a perfect compensation ApproveApproveApproveApprove !

Honganji, thanks for your recommendations, I hope to check out the bands you mentioned Thumbs%20Up

Dirk, I will send your regards to Hans on Monday.
MajesterX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 15:13
Originally posted by Dirk Dirk wrote:

^^You're quite right about Nemo and probably also about After Crying ( i don't know  them so well, I know  that other well known hungary band Solaris  better and they're certainly innovative). Still there certainly are some bands being discussed in the symphonic threads and in this database too that indeed intentionally try to recreate a 70's atmosphere or at least build upon these influences to create a modern symphonic sound, imo there's nothing wrong with that. This music is obviously not interesting to MajesterX  but why should i or others here care? I see that MajesterX likes Dream theater a lot, i like them too but certainly not as much as he does. So i generally  stay out of DT threads and polls or approach them in a mildy positive tone.I suggest to MajesterX  to do the same in regard to modern symph, to each his own.

I apologize for the generalization about modern prog bands. I guess I really don't know much about modern prog that is more obscure, so my comments were rightfully tossed aside.
I suppose I'm just sort of grudging of modern prog due to my experiences with bands like Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings, which I personally don't find original or interesting after a while of listening.

Just to clear things up, I'm not so much of a DT fan as much as I was, their new album was kind of another nail in a coffin for me. I'm not so much uninterested in modern prog (albeit it's in some way original) as I am annoyed with modern bands that exist only to provide a nostalgia trip back to the 70's.
I feel a bit idiotic now, as I've never really listened to any of the bands on the list. Exclamation
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 15:27

He joined the forum almost two years before you so you are the one who should find a new name. Stern%20Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Leningrad View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2007 at 15:33
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

He joined the forum almost two years before you so you are the one who should find a new name. Stern%20Smile

SNAP!! Shocked

Looks like someone just got pwned. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 51>