Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPop Elements in Prog is Bad?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:37
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

n that case, you are correct (except for some of the jazz bands).

Is s/he though?Confused
I find it hard to fathom you agree with him/her, because where on earth in only the holiest of brilliant or completely incorrect places would you find Mr Bungle in popOuch
Eat heartily at breakfast, for tonight, we dine in Hell!!
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:37
Originally posted by coleio coleio wrote:

Okay done.
Prog is not pop, look I repeated it. Prog is not pop.

If you had bothered to carefully read previous responses (Tony R and then my post congratualting Tony on pointing out there is a big difference between the the two kinds of 'pop'), you would've realised that sales and whatnot, actually have little to do with 'pop' music (of which prog is not).

You may be referring to popular ('pop' abbreviation). Yes prog does have more sales than its jazz and classical counterparts, but it isn't the other kind of pop music (the kind the thread originally referred to), which is simple, 4/4, radio-friendly, catchy, dancing and singing music.
You follow?

I know of the difference between "prog" and "the other kind of pop"; after all I am a pre-eminent poster here. but that does not delude me into thinking that prog is not pop. this kind of snobbery is simply inappropriate

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:42
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Okay done.

If you had bothered to carefully read previous responses (Tony R and then my post congratualting Tony on pointing out there is a big difference between the the two kinds of 'pop'), you would've realised that sales and whatnot, actually have little to do with 'pop' music (of which prog is not).

You may be referring to popular ('pop' abbreviation). Yes prog does have more sales than its jazz and classical counterparts, but it isn't the other kind of pop music (the kind the thread originally referred to), which is simple, 4/4, radio-friendly, catchy, dancing and singing music.
You follow?

I know of the difference between "prog" and "the other kind of pop"; after all I am a pre-eminent poster here. but that does not delude me into thinking that prog is not pop. this kind of snobbery is simply inappropriate

Snobbery? What on earth are you talking about? I'm in no way a snob, but on the other hand I know that prog is definitely not pop.
And being a 'pre-eminent poster', doesn't immediately mean you're correct either, in fact considering you do post so much I would've expected that you could recognise something as simple as, prog is not pop.

Or maybe it's one of these 'E-Ego boosters', that seem to happen when people get on their righteous, high and mighty horse and think they can be a moral sign-post in being eclectic or 'non-snobbish' (the one you seem to find appealing'.

So transparent its unreal.Angry
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:49
hahhah...  jesus christ... you all have gone on for 3 pages about this.

no wonder ...again... why some visitors to this site run screaming into the night. 

Prog is ...is prog is..  it's individual. It's up to listener.   So are the merits of incorporating strong melody and hooks ... ie pop elements. Some like their prog unlistenable... some like strong songwriting and strong melodies.  Get real people hahhahah

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:50

Okay done.

You follow?

Snobbery? What on earth are you talking about? I'm in no way a snob, but on the other hand I know that prog is definitely not pop.
And being a 'pre-eminent poster', doesn't immediately mean you're correct either, in fact considering you do post so much I would've expected that you could recognise something as simple as, prog is not pop.

Or maybe it's one of these 'E-Ego boosters', that seem to happen when people get on their righteous, high and mighty horse and think they can be a moral sign-post in being eclectic or 'non-snobbish' (the one you seem to find appealing'.

So transparent its unreal.Angry

first of all: by remarking that I am a pre-eminent poster I did not mean to say that I am always right at all. what I wanted to say is: "yes, prog is pop, so what? I like it; that's  why I am a pre-eminent poster".
second: get over the idea that there is anything "bad" with prog being pop. I am as much a prog lover as you, but I don't delude myself in that regard

Edited by BaldJean - August 15 2007 at 21:58

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:52

Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

n that case, you are correct (except for some of the jazz bands).

Is s/he though?Confused
I find it hard to fathom you agree with him/her, because where on earth in only the holiest of brilliant or completely incorrect places would you find Mr Bungle in popOuch

That's where Mr Bungle is found in music stores, in the general "Pop/rock" section. That doesn't, though, necessarily make the music "pop/rock". However, it is a band with its roots in that place - even if it has stretched so far away....

And props to mickey.
coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:53
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

hahhah...  jesus christ... you all have gone on for 3 pages about this.

no wonder ...again... why some visitors to this site run screaming into the night. 

Prog is ...is prog is..  it's individual. It's up to listener.   So are the merits of incorporating strong melody and hooks ... ie pop elements. Some like their prog unlistenable... some like strong songwriting and strong melodies.  Get real people hahhahah

Yes prog encompasses some downright cacophony like sections of Pawn Hearts by VdGG LOLLOL

Whereas, you do get the 'pop' music melodies now and again, some of which are good, others not so.
But prog being pop? (in both meanings of the word this day and age).
Get real.
coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 21:57
I don't think that pop is generally a bad thing (although a massive amount I've heard is), as some pop music is okay.
But prog is prog, infact even calling some sub-genres of prog, 'rock', is stretching it.
So therefore, I am and always will stand by my initial reaction.

As for finding Mr Bungle or whatever in pop ? No, wouldn't happen unless it's been misplaced. As for 'rock' section (which you did'nt mention the first time around), that might happen but I would still find it peculiar
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 22:01
I'm going to have to agree with Jean, Prog is Pop Music and so is Rock and Metal by default as they have a common source. Since Prog is an amorphous genre it's roots always go back to simple Pop music no matter which route you take. Yes there are exceptions that started outside Pop - but they are rare and do not affect the outcome.
What?
coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 22:04
But, it isn't pop music, so why should it be called something it's not.

Is all music baroque, classical or renaissance because that's where it all really started what with writing techniques and composition?

I think not.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 22:06

I don't think that pop is generally a bad thing (although a massive amount I've heard is), as some pop music is okay.
But prog is prog, infact even calling some sub-genres of prog, 'rock', is stretching it.

As for finding Mr Bungle or whatever in pop ? No, wouldn't happen unless it's been misplaced. As for 'rock' section (which you did'nt mention the first time around), that might happen but I would still find it peculiar

you'd be surprised; Cologne's biggest record shop Saturn puts Mr. Bungle under "pop". and I totally agree with it, for the reasons given above

coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 22:09

you'd be surprised; Cologne's biggest record shop Saturn puts Mr. Bungle under "pop". and I totally agree with it, for the reasons given above

Cologne is now renowned for its comedy value too Big%20smileLOL
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 22:14
I think we can all agree on a few points:

1. Prog is a subcategory of rock music (in most cases). In my opinion, rock is both a subcategory of Popular Music and not in the genre of "pop music," which encompasses the likes of Britney Spears, Michael Jackson, the Spice Girls, etc.

2. Compared to my idea of the aforementioned "pop music," most rock music, and many other subcategories of Popular Music, prog is unpopular.

IMO, there are a few main, separate categories for most/all music:

Jazz
Classical
Blues (possibly under Popular Music)
Popular music (containing "pop music," rock, electronica)
Ethnic music (the basic forms of tribal music throughout cultures)
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 22:15

I think not at all. they are correct. and if you looked at it from an historic point of  view like I do you would agree with me

coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 22:16
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

I think we can all agree on a few points:

1. Prog is a subcategory of rock music (in most cases). In my opinion, rock is both a subcategory of Popular Music and not in the genre of "pop music," which encompasses the likes of Britney Spears, Michael Jackson, the Spice Girls, etc.

2. Compared to my idea of the aforementioned "pop music," most rock music, and many other subcategories of Popular Music, prog is unpopular.

IMO, there are a few main, separate categories for most/all music:

Jazz
Classical
Blues (possibly under Popular Music)
Popular music (containing "pop music," rock, electronica)
Ethnic music (the basic forms of tribal music throughout cultures)

Or if we go on certain logic used in this thread, why don't we just put everything into classical, baroque and renaissance after all that's the root of all music.

pfffDead
coleio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 22:18

I think not at all. they are correct. and if you looked at it from an historic point of  view like I do you would agree with me

Oh so I'm not looking right now? Christ!
If it's pop music, go give a britney spears fan a copy of a Mr Bungle album, or a Lost Prophets fan a copy of Blackwater Park.

Pop music indeed
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 22:22
From the the chief categories of music

Jazz
Pop
Classical
World

Which do you think Mr Bungle belongs to?

Case closed.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 22:29

Oh so I'm not looking right now? Christ!
If it's pop music, go give a britney spears fan a copy of a Mr Bungle album, or a Lost Prophets fan a copy of Blackwater Park.

Pop music indeed

you may be surprised, but compared to some early Kraut Mr. Bungle is prog-lite. by that I am not saying that Mr. Bungle are not avantgarde at all, and the metal element is of course missing in the early Kraut albums, but some early Kraut was definitely as weird and musically versatile as Mr. Bungle. they seem to be influenced by Faust a lot; at least I see a certain similarity there

sircosick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 22:31
Bringing the topic totally back, the central question of the thread is completely out of coherence then.....

Since, how can X be good or bad to Y  if  X = Y??

Confused
The best you can is good enough...
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2007 at 22:32
Originally posted by sircosick sircosick wrote:

Bringing the topic totally back, the central question of the thread is completely out of coherence then.....

Since, how can X be good or bad to Y  if  X = Y??

Confused

that's entirely my point!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>