Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew bands'/artists' entries layout

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2007 at 08:20
I liked the previous album display list more.

Edited by Publius84 - November 10 2007 at 08:21
I know what I like and I like what I know...

Prog is in my heart, in my mind, in my soul...
martinn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2007 at 11:11
Here are my thoughts about the issue:

• I like the how the biography is placed  now and the new Content menu is an improvement Smile
  • Now I don't understand why half of the biography is shown, with the message of read more...  there is plenty of free space on the right of the content menu Confused
  • I like the addition of the latest forum topics
  • I don't like the fact that the discographie is placed almost at the bottom of  the page,  when 90% of the times you go to the band page is to check the discographie. I think it should be placed next to the biographieStern%20Smile
  • The add is waaaaay to big and centered
  • I don't like how the albums are displayed now. They seem so tightened togheter, I liked it so much more when they were one below the other, in chronological order and with the year of release.Thumbs%20Down
  • I really like the separation of the types of albums, maybe I would place EP's under studio albums (because it's mostly original material ), but OK...Clap
  • Like the latest reviews
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2007 at 11:23
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

I like it, one thing though..... and yes I have bought this up before, and I probably will again, but please, please in the "content" box can the link to BUY be a link to the bands own web-stores?

PLEASE?

Independent artists are in difficult times, and sites like this are a valuable tool, but if the shopping traffic could be diverted our way rather than away from us it might help!

Guys?

Cheers,
PC x

There needs to be a balance Rachel. As was mentioned, we do have links to the offical websites of the bands where such sites exist.

The adverts on this site pay for the site. As I've mentioned lots of times, none of our members are asked to pay a penny towards the provision of the site. This can only be maintained if advertising income continues to fund the cost of keeping it going it.

Presumably sites such as this must have contributed greatly to inspiring people to buy prog albums at all.
Hamfari View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2007 at 16:30

WHERE ARE THE YEARS NEXT TO THE ALBUMS?!  IMO THEY HAVE TO BE THERE

Oops caps lock
anyway
cheers

Edited by Hamfari - November 10 2007 at 16:31
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2007 at 16:38
I don't like it much. I was just scrolling through the Tangerine Dream discography making a Christmas list and was utterly confused. I thought Ricochet and The Warsaw Concert were deleted because I couldn't find them at all! Turns out, they're under the Live albums banner. It's not awful, but it's much easier to used when all albums/videos in an absolutely chronological list.
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 07:57
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

sure...  but if it makes it simpler... why not...  unless we are not allowed to by  Ebay as part of some deal so they could have half the artist page to sell things. 

Anyhow...  the lastest tweeks are nice... and as soon and those damn Ebay ads are removed... they will look even better.  Or just humour an old fart who really dislikes this. .and sees no need for it... stick the damn things on the bottom... unless the terms don't allow that either.   It simply makes this site look  like a commerical whore for ebay.. rather than a reference site for prog.. which is the ONE thing that people across the web do respect this site for. As I've said.. if it is a question of money...  the day we refuse to pay what it takes to keep this site and running...I'll quit my bitching about it and we can have all the ads to keep the site up and even allow M@X a new boat to ski behind LOL.  Call this the beginnning of class warfare.. but we aren't paid to make this site what it is.. and seeing our work rendered well below a frickin ad for Ebay does burn my ass.  I'll get over it... but  allow me to vent.... I've earned it...all these collabs have if they feel the need.  We are the ones who work for free for the site.. and don't see a damned cent for it.

I am completely on the Micky's party line... however e-bay should not necessarily wiped out, but it could be positioned somewhere on the margin so not to offend directly our prog eyes Wink
Seyo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 08:03
Chronology of albums with years of release is essential for this site! Is there a possibility to bring back the old style chronology listing together with the new style with separate groupings of albums according to their format and ratings? Or is too much?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 11:36
They are chronological again now. I've asked M@x to re-instate the year of release.
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 11:46
Something also that should be addressed:

CAN Latest Forum Topics

including: Lounge discussions, news, events, press releases, blog, interviews ... More results...

As you can see, not a single one of these topics is about the band "can".

Hamfari View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 11:56
haha their fault they named themselves CAN ;) a search engine can´t differientiate between other "cans".

Anyway, didn´t they use to have like "picks" or favorites above the discography, according to the highest rated albums (often 2-4 albums) . I liked that, I would want it back. It´s nice if you´re checking a band out and want to buy one album for starters (then you´d pick the highest rated ones for a good intruduction to the band )

Also I think the "major players" in the alphabet letter order should be highlighted, i.e. shown in larger fonts and bold, (maybe underlined too) to make a distinction between them and lesser known bands. They´d be easier to find to.

Anyway, to whom it may concern, I love your site and use it very often (even though I´m not active in the forum)

Cheers

Edited by Hamfari - November 11 2007 at 11:58
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 12:00
Originally posted by Hamfari Hamfari wrote:

haha their fault they named themselves CAN ;) a search engine can´t differientiate between other "cans".

Yeah, that's why I don't think that section should be on the band page at all.

Edited by Shakespeare - November 11 2007 at 12:01
Desoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 13:56

Also I think the "major players" in the alphabet letter order should be highlighted, i.e. shown in larger fonts and bold, (maybe underlined too) to make a distinction between them and lesser known bands. They´d be easier to find to.

Who should decide which bands are "major" and which are "lesser known"? Not the collective majority on this forum, I hope Tongue

I'd advice you to use the top 100 list and the key albums listed under each genre. They should give a pretty fair indication.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 14:36
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

They are chronological again now. I've asked M@x to re-instate the year of release.

ClapClap

and if not removing the ads (another subject) ....how about  putting them at the bottom of the page... the site gets it's money no matter where the damn things are...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 15:32
The Year of release came back! Clap
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 15:49
The year is now shown again too!

(Don't know about the "gets the money anyway" Micky, some ads pay by the click through only)
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 16:51
^ yep, now it seems much better, albums are in chronological order Big%20smile
Hamfari View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 22:36
Yeah that´s an improvement.
Now we just have to pressure to put the ads at a lesser obvious place

Originally posted by Desoc Desoc wrote:

Who should decide which bands are "major" and which are "lesser known"? Not the collective majority on this forum, I hope Tongue

I'd advice you to use the top 100 list and the key albums listed under each genre. They should give a pretty fair indication.
Yeah point taken.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2007 at 22:40
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

The year is now shown again too!

(Don't know about the "gets the money anyway" Micky, some ads pay by the click through only)

ahhh... I see...  tell M@X I'll click those damned ads all day if he'll move that crap to the bottom of the page. He can have his boat...  but he has to move the ads LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 01:46
I like the discography organization a lot better now, and this has been said before, but it needs to be moved above the ads, videos, and forum topics!
Desoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2007 at 02:37
Nice touch with the videos as well Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>