Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHammond Extravaganza Part 2 : A HAMMOND S

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 07:20
Shock Horror!

Ken no longer uses a B3... he's now using one of these new fangled C3s:

The world will never be the same...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 07:58

Jim, thanks for posting that exciting Ken Hensley picture, I knew it but I couldn't find it on the Internet. I have visited his own website but that was a bit disappointing.

By the way Jim, that Ken Hensley shot is also on the DVD The Classic Heep- The David Byron era, at one moment Ken starts to drink that plastic cup with beer (on the top of his Hammond on the left) and halfway he keeps it in his mouth while playing with two hands on the Hammond with a big smile Big%20smile !
Angelo, I have decided to take an one day break in order to let my vistors and posters breath LOL

Lady In Black, fine story!

Paul, thanks!

I would like to thank everybody for reading, visiting and posting Clap

Lady In Black View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 08:14
Erik (and others): Which type of organ use Al Kooper in "Super Session"? I think that it's a Hammond organ. Unfortunately in the booklet of the CD the photograph was treated with fog/ to dots effect And I don't understand that model it is. 

If I read correct various photo seems me a C3 model. But I am not very secure. 

P.s.: extreme great "Stop" with a great Hammond!

Edited by Lady In Black - November 23 2007 at 08:20
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 08:38

Lady In Black, the book The A-Z Of Analogue Synthesizers Part One : A-M )
                by Peter Forrest) mentiones that Al Kooper owned a Hammond B3 Thumbs%20Up

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 09:06
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Lady In Black, the book The A-Z Of Analogue Synthesizers Part One : A-M )
                by Peter Forrest) mentiones that Al Kooper owned a Hammond B3 Thumbs%20Up

Thanks, Erik.

What is your opinion about Bloomfield/ kooper/ Stills "Super Session"?

For me: Basically is a Blues Rock album with great Progressive moments and a great organ and guitar.The version of "season Of The Witch" here contained, "Stop", "Albert's Shuffle" and "His Holy Modal Majesty" are extreme great songs, also in Prog field, considered that this album is from 1968. A great trio, also for PA.

And for you?
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 09:15
Lady In Black, many, many years ago I bought the album Super Session because I am blues fan too, it's a classic Thumbs%20Up .. but in those days I didn't realise I was listening to a Hammond organ!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 09:18

Lady In Black, many, many years ago I bought the album Super Session because I am blues fan too, it's a classic Thumbs%20Up .. but in those days I didn't realise I was listening to a Hammond organ!

So today is the day of won of Hammond in your mind.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 11:56

Lady In Black, I have had Hammonds on my mind the previous weeks,
             I can even play the Hammond B3 in my dreams, using the foot pedals
             like Barbara Dennerlein Wink :

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=60ut7yIuCEY 

http://nl.youtube.com/user/hans1970

Edited by erik neuteboom - November 23 2007 at 11:58
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 12:06

Lady In Black, I have had Hammonds on my mind the previous weeks,
             I can even play the Hammond B3 in my dreams, using the foot pedals
             like Barbara Dennerlein Wink :

http://nl.youtube.com/user/hans1970

Oh my God... You cannot betray your wife with a Hammond...  You don't succeed to do sex! 

Seriously... From Brian Auger I succeeded to make to buy Mandrakeroot the first three album of the Trinity.  Not ugly.  The only Prog moment is the Hammond work, nevertheless.

I don't have an idea like 60's production of Auger (with The Steampacket and the Mod Years compilation that is present in PA). You can help me? 

(excuse me for this use of this thread. But I think that this post have a sense, since Auger is a Hammond king)
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 12:27

Lady In Black, this weekend I will publish my Hammond Organ Special Part 4, it includes a contribution by Dick Heath, I am sure he will mentions Brian Auger, otherwise you can send him a PM for recommendations. I am not really into Brian Auger, I only have a concert video from a 1989 jazz festival concert that showcases his incredible talent on the Hammond organ Thumbs%20Up

By the way, I have already betrayed my wife with a Mellotron, she gets use to my fascination for vintage keyboards but I have promised her to keep some time and energy for other things  LOL !

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 16:39

Lady In Black, this weekend I will publish my Hammond Organ Special Part 4, it includes a contribution by Dick Heath, I am sure he will mentions Brian Auger, otherwise you can send him a PM for recommendations. I am not really into Brian Auger, I only have a concert video from a 1989 jazz festival concert that showcases his incredible talent on the Hammond organ Thumbs%20Up

By the way, I have already betrayed my wife with a Mellotron, she gets use to my fascination for vintage keyboards but I have promised her to keep some time and energy for other things  LOL !

Thanks, Erik.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 16:41
This evening my guest is Glass House aka 'Dutch Tony', at this moment we are blown away by Julian's Treatment, outstanding, very compelling work on the mighty Hammond organ Clap

Check out:

JULIANS%20TREATMENT%20A%20Time%20Before%20This%20...%20Plus%20%281970-73%29%20progressive%20rock%20album%20and%20reviews Eclectic Prog
(Boxset/Compilation, 1990)
Avg: 4.00/5
from 2 ratings
JULIAN'S TREATMENT — A Time Before This ... Plus (1970-73)
Review by erik neuteboom (erik neuteboom)
Special Collaborator Symphonic Prog Expert

4%20stars The brainchild of this musical project was Julian Savarin. He was born in Dominica but moved with his family to Britain in the early Sixties. He was a writer and a keyboard player and longing to fullfill his musical ideas. Julian recruited his own band with John Dover on bass, Del Watkins on guitar, Jack Drummond on drums and Cathy Pruden on vocals. They started rehearsing and gigging round London as JULIAN'S TREATMENT. In june '70 the label Youngblood released their first album “A Time Before This”. Two years later Julian was approached by Birth records to make a new album. Only bass player John Dover came from the old line-up, other musicians of JULIAN's new band were Nigel Jenkins (guitar), Roger Odell (drums) and Jo Meek (vocals). And in '73 the second album “Waiters On The Dance” came out, credited by Julian J. Savarin (nowadays a famous writer!). In 1990 the British label See For Miles Records released a compilation with material from JULIAN'S TREATMENT recorded between 1970 and 1973. It’s entitled “A Time Before This ... Plus” and a perfect showcase of the exciting sound from JULIAN'S TREATMENT: lots of organ, strong female vocals, a dynamic rhythm-section and some piano, guitar, flute and Mellotron. The music frequently alternates from melodic progrock in the vein of EARTH & FIRE (female vocals and layers of organ) to ominous climates with hints from the Gothic scene featuring haunting vocals and majestic Hammond organ. My highlight on this compilation is the compelling composition “Child of the night 1 + 2” delivering wonderful vocals, impressive Hammond organ, some beautiful flute – and violin Mellotron waves and fiery electric guitar, this is the band at their best. The music from JULIAN'S TREATMENT sounds very dated and relatively simple but if you love the organ-based progrock bands from the early British Progressive Rock Movement like RARE BIRD, BRAM STOKER, QUATERMASS or GRACIOUS, don’t miss this underrated, often missed band with the powerful female vocals and splendid organplay as their trademark!

Clap

Edited by erik neuteboom - November 23 2007 at 16:59
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 17:18

Must admit i never before heard the music of Julian's Treatment, and it is indeed very good!!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2007 at 17:21

Thanks for the positive words about Julian's Treatment, Dutch Tony Thumbs%20Up

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 07:03

I hope to publish my Hammond Organ Special Part 4 this weekend, I am glad that    
  fellow Hammond freak Chicapah is willing to contribute with a personal story Thumbs%20Up

This is Vanilla Fudge with Mark Stein on the Hammond B3:

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2007 at 12:30
I have just added the album De Fluff by the Swedish duo Bootcut (a musical project of Beardfish their keyboardplayer) to the Chapter 3 of my Hammond Organ Special entitled My Hammond Drenched Recommendations, this CD is a must for Hammond freaks Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 08:06
Yesterday I and Mandrakeroot have ordered the Steampacket  (Brian Auger) CD (in USA version titled "Ain't that loving you baby" c/o Red Moon Records.

We are naturally anxious of to have it between the hands! 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2007 at 08:46

I am looking forward to your reviews about Steampacket,

Brian Auger is awesome on his Hammond organ Thumbs%20Up

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2007 at 06:23
As soon as I have received Dick Heath his contribution (he is very busy) I will publish Part 4, including the contributions by PA members (their personal Hammond stories).
Sole View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2007 at 19:10
Originally posted by Lady In Black Lady In Black wrote:

I wrote than in Italy in the period 1967/ 1970 the Leslie speakers isn't importing.  When the DIK DIK decided to record the Italian version of "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" (re-titled "Senza Luce") they use a newspaper in front to the organ speakers. The result isn't badly (seen the more than handicraft method) but today that use electric keyboards use the original base and they haven't re-recorded the base with the use of the Leslie  (the sound, I understand).

Great post, Lady!

And, in general, great thread, erik!

Edited by Sole - November 28 2007 at 05:51
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>