Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBuilding a guitar

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2008 at 06:42
Unfortunately I am having to wait for the new nut to arrive as at the moment it's my highest priority, then I can get to work actually installing the neck and getting the bridge setup. Between now and the nut arriving (that's going to take 2 weeks as I'm importing it from the US) I can get a few jobs done like getting holes drilled for the bridge ground wire, fitting the jack socket, fitting the tuners etc but nothing major.

EDIT: I've managed to get practically everything I can do to the body and neck done without the use of a pillar drill or vertical mount for a normal drill, I'll be getting that sorted at the weekend. Currently the tuners, string retainer bar, jack socket mount and strap buttons are all fitted and holes for the bridge ground wire and output wire to the jack are drilled.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the neck drilled and attached to the body over the weekend and the bridge I should be able to work on during next week. But the next job to tackle will be getting the pickguard soldered up as I've still not got round to it.

Edited by N Ellingworth - March 31 2008 at 12:45
Petrovsk Mizinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 05:44
Just wondering, how does the neck joint heel look?
Is it like a bulky Fender type heel?
Or like a Warmoth type shaved heel?
N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2008 at 06:31
It's the bulky Fender variety but I'm used to that sort of heel so it's not a problem and I don't tend to play that high up the neck anyway so the advantages of a shaved heel would be wasted on me.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 05:05
Originally posted by N Ellingworth N Ellingworth wrote:

I'm not a member of any music forums other than this one.

Ohh, forgot to say this last time, got caught up in something I think.
I strongly recommend you join the Seymour Duncan User Group forums, you can ask questions about any brand of pickup, not just Seymour Duncan, and someone is likely to point you in a good direction as to what pickup/s will suit your guitar and playing style/s.
There is also a section for guitars, amps, tips and sound clips, and an interesting off topic room.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2008 at 06:17
Just had a look around the Seymour Duncan forum, if I ever need serious advice about pickups it'll definitely be my first stop.

EDIT: Speaking of pickups, I've just got the pickguard wired up and ready for installation. Big%20smile

Edited by N Ellingworth - April 04 2008 at 09:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 06:47
It's all starting to come together now, I've got the neck and body attached and all that's left to do is fitting the bridge, nut, wired up pickguard, and then making the final few electrical connections (output from volume control to the output jack, bridge ground and jack ground.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 08:29

Ohh, I like the way the Wilkinson bridge looks on that, looks way better than the vintage 6 screw trem IMHO.

Good job so farThumbs%20Up

Oh, what resistance pot value do you have for your pickups?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2008 at 10:42
I agree completely, the Wilkinson trem looks better than a vintage six screw and in theory should work a lot better too, hopefully during the week I can make a start on mounting it. I went for 250k pots as they're the type usually used for single coils. From an electrical point of view this guitar is definitely a traditional strat. I really want the brass nut to arrive soon so I can start playing it as it feels like it's going to play really nicely.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 11:54
Suffered a major setback today, firstly the installation instructions supplied with my Wilkinson trem are wrong and I've ended up with loose mounts, so if I've got to buy some dowel and fill the holes and redrill them but I won't be doing that since I've discovered that all the routs on the body are slightly misaligned and therefore even if I do fit the bridge properly the guitar won't be playable anyway.

A warning for everyone don't buy bodies from Axesrus.co.uk they clearly sell utter rubbish.

I can't afford a replacement neck and body so I'm afraid this project is over unless I can somehow scrape enough money together to buy some Warmoth parts.

Unhappy

Edited by N Ellingworth - April 11 2008 at 11:55
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 12:13
Damn, that sucks manUnhappy
Personally, I would have gone straight for Warmoth anyway, they may not be the cheapest (not to say they are expensive though), but their reputation is excellent.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 12:19
Which routs are misaligned?
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 12:20
The bridge and neck pocket.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 12:23
Ah. That's surely a case for returning the body to Axesrus for a refund. (ie "not fit for use")
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 12:30
Unfortunately it's a 'b' spec body and is non returnable, my fault for buying a cheap body.

EDIT: Had a discussion with my parents and they're willing to part finance a replacement body but I've been ordered to find the cheapest body possible and if I do that I'll end up with another piece of rubbish. Plus they're not convinced that I need a new neck either but I suspect that the neck I've got probably won't fit any body I buy now.

Edited by N Ellingworth - April 11 2008 at 12:38
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 12:59
^ I'd PM Trademark before doing anything too drastic
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 13:21
I will but I'm currently researching unfinished bodies and necks from Warmoth and Carvin it seems that Carvin are the cheaper option but are not compatible with standard fender spec hardware due to the neck mounting system Carvin use. I think at this stage with my woodworking abilities (or lack of) I need to buy a body and neck from the same manufacturer which are certain to fit together.

One thing I want to ensure is that I do use the Wilkinson trem and electrics which were the most expensive part of the original purchase, I'm hopeful that the neck I've got will be usable with an old body I've got hanging around with some filling and redrilling so not all is lost.
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2008 at 16:40
Talk to me man!  If I can sort out what's wrong with the body you have, I may be able to help you out .  If not I have a Strat body I might be able to send you way without killing your budeget.  Its a blonde Swamp Ash body already set up for a Wilkinson and 3 single coils.  Stock Fender neck mounting so it should match your neck.  It was originally intended for Roye Albrighton of Nektar (He has two of my guitars already), but he chose a slightly different body shape and size in the end. Now it has no home.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 03:04
Thanks for the offer Trademark, PM sent.

Currently my only options are Trademark's very kind offer and Warmoth as Carvin don't ship abroad and the local dealer don't stock parts. I might as well post my initial thoughts for the Warmoth parts but there are still a few bits to be determined such as the neck finish:

Body: universal rout, Wilkinson bridge rout made from either maple, mahogany or walnut (this depends on neck finishing costs).

Neck, total vintage construction, fat back, 6130 frets, gotoh/grover tuner holes, maple/rosewood, finish yet to be decided.

EDIT: Typical, the brass nut arrived this morning and it doesn't fit the neck I've got. Angry

Edited by N Ellingworth - April 12 2008 at 04:13
A B Negative View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 15:15
I've bought plenty of stuff from Axesrus and never had a problem, haven't bought a body though.

I fitted a Warmoth neck (paduak with an ebony fingerboard) to my Mexican Fender Strat. I saved some money because paduak doesn't need to be oiled or lacquered but it was still fairly expensive.

I've had some success using Colron Antique Oil to finish necks and bodies. Obviously it isn't as hard-wearing as lacquer but it is cheap and easy to use,  just take your time.
"The disgusting stink of a too-loud electric guitar.... Now, that's my idea of a good time."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2008 at 15:27
Well I will agree that the hardware I bought from them is top notch but I'm not buying the wooden bits from them again, I am investigating different options for the neck currently Satine with a Pau Ferro fretboard looks tempting and should look great on Trademark's body plus it wouldn't need a finish. I'm going to wait until I've got the body before ordering the neck though and I intend to have a lot of discussions with Warmoth about what I need.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>