Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe FIVE STAR rating system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 16:51

I disagree with ratings being more important.

A rating says nothing to me, I don't even know if the guy has heard the album or is rating just to manipulate charts or because he loves a determined band.

Or maybe the guy is honest, but doesn't have a valid reason to give one or five stars, I consider that the ratings are a visual help, but the review itself tells me if I must trust in a determined rating.

Iván

I would ekliminate the ratings without reviews, but that's not my choice.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 17:59
Originally posted by Rubidium Rubidium wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

5 stars or 10 stars or .5 stars - for me it makes no important difference
they are only for somebody's guidance - let's say for a first visual orientation how to evaluate an album

The main thing is your personal impression embedded in the review content
So more grades would be fine but I don't see the ultimate necessity ...

have I told you recently I love you....  Heart

amen brother... worry more about the quality of your reviews.. and less about the frickin ratings...  if they really meant anything (ie.  didn't have multiple different meaning based on how a reviewer reivews) I might see the logic in it. 

the name of the game is REVIEWING albums.. not rating them.

pfffff..... not to mention... and our collabs should know it.  The site.. and M@X have more important things to be concerned about.  Too much work...  for no real purpose.

If the ratings don't mean anything, then why even bother having them?

because .. we have them already and is as pointless to really push to remove them.. as it is to expand them.... besides I've have already tried LOL ... half-heartedly... but still seriously to have the damn things removed. I suspect we might find the quality of reviews get better..  and also have what was my main objective... get rid of  examples like Jethro Tull taking damn near every spot in the top 20 'prog-folk' album lists... and have the album lists made by the 'experts' in each sub-genre.  Recommendations by those whose knowledge runs a bit deeper ... not what is popular...  we all knew that already.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 18:06
The point 5 system might be a good add-on as many already state this rating in the review.
But coming back to the point about the abundance of 1 or 5 star reviews - over and over again you have to ask yourself who could or should rate the ratings ? Maybe I would allow Ivan the right to correct low ratings on Styx releases, and the T can take care of Dream Theater albums Big%20smile
In essence, IF I am allowed to rate  & review, then I should be allowed to judge the albums as I see fit. Expertise, knowledge, heck, even good taste , are not mentioned anywhere as criteria for an acceptable review. 
The other sticking point that we keep coming back to, and this one is spelled out plainly is the "prog value".
And again, who judges who. It is true that many give it a 1 or a 5 based on the music without any consideration as to its' progness. But then should Foxtrot be judged less prog than say Henry Cow' Legend ? Is King Crimson's ITOTCK less prog than Yes' Close to the Edge ?
Can you see the endless debate that will settle nothing ? Because no objective measure will magically come into existence that all could easily apply in sharing their opinion of an album.
Instead, let's discuss why Ange is slighted, and Klaatu is prog related; while Arachmoid are praised and Barclay Harvest are accepted as crossover/symphonic whatever progSmile
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 18:10
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

That's your personal opinion Micky. From your perspective, reviews are everything and rating is sh*t. For my point of view, both are equally important (I have never submitted a rating without review by the way, to prove this assertion). To some people with more statistical minds, ratings may be more important. I don't think you or me or nobody holds the definitive answer... That's why we give opinions here.,..WinkSmile

personal opinion Teo... mixed with a healthy does of common frickin sense hahhaha.

answer me this.... 

we all know what is important about the 'reviews' themselves.... however tell me what kind of importance the rating itself has.   Note.... there is NO standard to what that rating IS or represents.  Five Stars? Some album a guy frickin likes?... whoopee! helpful...  if we all had the same tastes.  An album he rates highly for importance and impact in prog...  not many do that..  but some do..  and others mix that in to varying degress to make the whole ratings process worthless.  No where NEAR as important as the review itself.

how ever Teo... could a  arbitrary rating... and that is exactly what they are when taken all together for most are simply given on a 'like' or 'not like' scale..... be anywhere near as important as a review.  Got me shaking my head on that one brother....

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Rubidium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 19:13
Personally, I think that ratings can either be useful or worthless, depending on the situation.  In particular, I think it depends on what motivates you to be reading reviews of an album in the first place.  For example, if I'm browsing through ebay and find a cheap used CD and I want to know if it's something I'll like, I'll head over here and read some reviews.  In this case the rating is completely worthless because I'm basing any decision on the reviews. 

If on the other hand I decide that I want to try getting into a new artist that I have little knowledge of (especially one with a big discography, say Frank Zappa), I'll head over the the artist's page and I'll need to decide which albums I want to read the reviews for.  So naturally I'll gravitate towards the albums with the higher ratings (for better or for worse).  You can't expect a person to read through reviews of 50 albums in order to find the best album to start at.  So I'll look at five or so of the higher rated albums and then read the reviews.

In either case the reviews are the most important thing and are what I'm really using to determine whether or not I'm interested in a particular album (combined with sample tracks if available, etc.).  But It's entirely possible that the ratings help me out along the way.  So I think that they really do serve a purpose, even if they aren't as important as the reviews.

Since I think they're important, I think it's a good idea to be able to rate albums on a ten point scale as that makes the rating a more accurate measure of this community's thoughts on the album.  Of course for an album like Close to the Edge it's going to make little to no difference.  But it could make a big difference for an album with only a few ratings.  Although I agree that more emphasis should be placed on the review than on the rating, I think we all know that many people around here rely on the ratings more than they should.  And if that's the case, I think it's wise to make the rating as accurate as possible.  After all, allowing half points could very well change the rating by a couple tenths of a point if there aren't many ratings.  And if a user's primary means of determining what albums they should get is the ratings, then this difference could be very important.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 20:03

That's your personal opinion Micky. From your perspective, reviews are everything and rating is sh*t. For my point of view, both are equally important (I have never submitted a rating without review by the way, to prove this assertion). To some people with more statistical minds, ratings may be more important. I don't think you or me or nobody holds the definitive answer... That's why we give opinions here.,..WinkSmile

personal opinion Teo... mixed with a healthy does of common frickin sense hahhaha.

I wouldn't trust you with that...LOL

answer me this.... 

we all know what is important about the 'reviews' themselves.... however tell me what kind of importance the rating itself has.   It's an statistical importance... yes, I know this is art so we can't say "X is good because it has a 4.7 rating" as they do in sports, but it still has relevance... At least when I buy albums I don't know anything about, if I'm on a hurry and can't read at least a couple of reviews by members whose opinions I know, I'll have to go and follow the rating...  Note.... there is NO standard to what that rating IS or represents.  In theory, there IS such a standard. Each rating has a different  meaning according to PA ("Essential" "Good addition", etc) even though, I agree, some of us don't pay that much attention to it (I should never give 5 stars to an album that is not 100% prog according to that... but I have) Five Stars? Some album a guy frickin likes?... It's the same with reviews! It's still one man's opinion! Of course, with arguments, I know. But then again, sometimes you read "arguments" the sort of which make you wish for review-less ratings...LOL whoopee! helpful...  if we all had the same tastes.  Yes... the world could work if we all liked DT..TongueTongue An album he rates highly for importance and impact in prog...  not many do that..  but some do..  and others mix that in to varying degress to make the whole ratings process worthless.  No where NEAR as important as the review itself. Yes, reviews in the end may be more important, or better yet, more informational, more trustworthy if you want... But reviews are here.. and we use statistics with them.. so we should also help that part of our little secluded sub-world...Tongue

how ever Teo... could a  arbitrary rating... and that is exactly what they are when taken all together for most are simply given on a 'like' or 'not like' scale..... be anywhere near as important as a review.  Got me shaking my head on that one brother.... Imagine just a 2-way system, "like" or "not like"... Damn! Don't start with that.. I'm pushing for an INCREASE in the options, not a decrease! LOL

NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 20:23

I think it's wise to make the rating as accurate as possible. 

To those who think half stars or 10 stars systems are better: how these things should be displayed?
Now it's easy to see ratings on album pages.  Counting 6 - 8 stars is not convenient at all.

Those who really need information can find it even with existing rating system. Fans of statistics will be always searching for the ways of improving and one day someone will find that 100 stars system is much more accurate than 10 stars.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 21:03
I liked the rate this review option.
that would help dirrect my attention to the better reviews. sometimes, especially with a bigger or older band that has 193820237402 reviews of each album.
 its hard to know where to start. 
Rubidium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 15 2008 at 21:31
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

I think it's wise to make the rating as accurate as possible. 

To those who think half stars or 10 stars systems are better: how these things should be displayed?
Now it's easy to see ratings on album pages.  Counting 6 - 8 stars is not convenient at all.

Those who really need information can find it even with existing rating system. Fans of statistics will be always searching for the ways of improving and one day someone will find that 100 stars system is much more accurate than 10 stars.

It'd be best to keep the maximum at 5 stars, but allow for rating at half star increments.  That way you don't have to worry about counting 8 stars, which I agree can be cumbersome, although it'd be easier in a case like that to count the number of stars that AREN'T shaded in (so that you'd only count to two instead of eight).

[Warning: The remainder of this post may only make sense if you understand the inner-workings of my mind, which is a very dangerous thing]

Theoretically we could partition the five stars into as many equal increments as we want, and still make it out of five stars maximum (at the moment there are 5 increments, and 10 is being proposed in this thread).  We could even partition it into a million increments if we wanted to without any technical problems, but of course that wouldn't be practical.  The key would be to choose the optimal number of increments to maximize the accuracy of the ratings while still being able to determine the difference between ratings in one's head (for example in my mind I know what an album rated at 3.5 star album is like [namely one that is better than what I would consider a typical 3 star album but not as good as a 4 star album], but I don't know what the difference between a 3.5 and a 3.6 album would be, aside that the 3.6 album is "slightly better").  I think 10 is a simple and natural number to use, although some would argue that 50 would be better, as I've seen many reviews were the reviewer states that they give the album 3.6 stars.  Heck, I've even seen a rating of 4.71, where I assume that the reviewer has distinct criteria in mind as to how a 4.71 star album is better than a 4.7 star album.  I find it difficult to believe that reviewers are capable of distinguishing between two such albums on a consistent basis, and are more or less pulling random numbers out of the air.  As the number of increments increases, the rating will converge to the true population rating.  So in this sense, more increments is better.  But as the number of increments increases, the marginal improvement will begin to diminish and we will reach the point where the infinitismal increase in the accuracy of ratings is outweighed by the general confusion of people giving Close to the Edge a rating of 4.78273 stars, Foxtrot a rating of 4.77325 stars, etc.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 02:46

^ I certainly agree... Even though I have to say, I quite love making averages and statistics of my cds...LOL In fact, I'm about to calculate the mean of my rating for GENESIS and DREAM THEATER, then use the formula for relative position and see which one in the end has better ratings with me...LOL

You're welcome to do these calculations, but my website could do it for you too.Big%20smile
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 03:53
Ratings should be reserved for albums listed in prog categories only - one can hardly give a 5 star "masterpiece of progressive rock" to a prog- related or non-prog album, can they?

gold ratings for albums in prog categories only -

StarStarStarStarStar  Essential: a masterpiece of progressive music

StarStarStarStar        Excellent addition to any prog music collection

StarStarStar              Good, but  non-essential

StarStar                    Collectors/fans only

Star                          Poor. Only for completionists

5 stars are clearly enough, but the ratings should only be for prog albums only as clearly described. 

StarStarStarStar        Excellent addition to your  prog music collection

StarStarStar              Good, contains some prog elements and has prog leanings

StarStar                    Not really a prog album, no prog elements

Star                          Definitely not a prog album,

or change the descriptions....

StarStarStarStarStar  Essential: a  masterpiece of great  music and historically important

StarStarStarStar        Excellent addition to any  great music collection

StarStarStar              Good, but non-essential

..then what would be the point of a progressive rock site?  the answer would be to exclude prog related and proto prog ratings, then there would remain albums such as "90125" which are hardly prog but require ratings.

my answer when reviewing prog related is to give two ratings - a prog rating and a musical content/merit rating, so therefore Led Zeppelin's "In Through the Out Door" could ber rated thus-

MUSIC RATING 4.5   PROG RATING 3/5

Smile

Edited by mystic fred - July 16 2008 at 04:03
Prog Archives Tour Van
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 04:55
^ you can't give two ratings for one album ... if you want to divide ratings like that then you can use my website, where I implemented just that.Big%20smile
russellk View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 06:56
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

Ratings should be reserved for albums listed in prog categories only - one can hardly give a 5 star "masterpiece of progressive rock" to a prog- related or non-prog album, can they?

gold ratings for albums in prog categories only -

StarStarStarStar        Excellent addition to any prog music collection

StarStarStar              Good, but  non-essential

5 stars are clearly enough, but the ratings should only be for prog albums only as clearly described. 

StarStarStarStar        Excellent addition to your  prog music collection

StarStarStar              Good, contains some prog elements and has prog leanings

StarStar                    Not really a prog album, no prog elements

Star                          Definitely not a prog album,

StarStarStarStarStar  Essential: a  masterpiece of great  music and historically important

..then what would be the point of a progressive rock site?  the answer would be to exclude prog related and proto prog ratings, then there would remain albums such as "90125" which are hardly prog but require ratings.

my answer when reviewing prog related is to give two ratings - a prog rating and a musical content/merit rating, so therefore Led Zeppelin's "In Through the Out Door" could ber rated thus-

MUSIC RATING 4.5   PROG RATING 3/5

Smile

Or there's the option to change the wording ONLY for prog-related and proto-prog albums. So you'd have the status quo for albums in a prog sub-genre, and have a more generic description ('a masterpiece of great music', as you suggested) for proto and related. Makes sense to me.

To my mind, reviews function as recommendations. If I see a two-star rating, I might have to read closely to realise the reviewer considers it a four-star album but is only giving it two stars because it's on a prog site. Better if the rating descriptions reflect this tendency, I think.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2008 at 11:24
If PA goes to a 10 point rating system, or allows .5 increments, here goes my prediction
We'll see people rating albums like "8.5 really" or "I can't it give anything less than 4.73".  Then we'll discuss with fraction or point range will fix that (Surely it's a 93.22 on a scale of 131, unless you deduct the non-prog aspect, in which it is certainly worth at least a B)
How about this scoring method
"This 60 minute album is not worth the 32 minutes of your time it'll take before you change the CD" Big%20smile
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Jazz-Rock Specialist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 15:12
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46404&KW=star
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40798&KW=star

A subject that comes up as new threads it seems every 4 months - and I notice a number of the old suspects who respond to each do so without reference to what has gone before or what they wrote before. We have been discussing this at least from the time I joined, WITHOUT any change and as ever there are questions to the apparent disproportionate numbers of 5 star albums.

I suggest we cobble all the various correspondence on the subject over the years, into one large master file, bang this a prominent place i.e. the appendix to the guidance on star rating, to demonstrate some stubborn lack of vision locally and that we seemed to have been wasting our collective breathes for at least 5 years.
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Nightfly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 16:57
Originally posted by mystic fred mystic fred wrote:

Smile

If it was to be changed then something along those lines would be better. To me a rating should reflect the quality of the music and not how Prog it is. If an albums included in the archives then at the very least it's Prog related and has been deemed worthy of inclusion. If not that would mean the likes of the recently added David Bowie would never get a higher than around a 2 star rating even though some of his albums would be regarded by many as 5 star masterpieces.

Oh and I agree that ratings without reviews should not be allowed. It's all too easy for someone to give high ratings to all their favourite bands albums without being objective.
Dick Heath View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Jazz-Rock Specialist

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 17:57

Historical importance? Imply an album has to undergo the test of time, thereby eliminating any brand new release: I can go for that. But what  length of time before upgrading or not to 5 star?

[UNQUOTE]

and what the hell does this mean: "any great music collection"? The Library of Congress and the BBC have "great music collections". I have 7000 recordings, a relative great number - but I won't want a fraction of those are marked as 5star, let alone many the 4 star albums.  Instead: " recommended as a recording for building a library of albums in the prog sub-genre of????"
The best eclectic music on the Web,8-11pm BST/GMT THURS.
CLICK ON: http://www.lborosu.org.uk/media/lcr/live.php
Host by PA's Dick Heath.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2008 at 19:14
I prefer this:

An idiotic guide to just what those funny little star-shaped things mean.

OH YEAH!!!

Oh yeah!

Yeah.

...erm, yeah.

God no!

Edited by Logan - July 17 2008 at 19:15
My 1960 to 2024 youtube playlist, one track per act and one track per year.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLXcp9fYc6K4Jq6bFhyET
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 08:38
Originally posted by Dick Heath Dick Heath wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46404&KW=star
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40798&KW=star

A subject that comes up as new threads it seems every 4 months - and I notice a number of the old suspects who respond to each do so without reference to what has gone before or what they wrote before. We have been discussing this at least from the time I joined, WITHOUT any change and as ever there are questions to the apparent disproportionate numbers of 5 star albums.

I suggest we cobble all the various correspondence on the subject over the years, into one large master file, bang this a prominent place i.e. the appendix to the guidance on star rating, to demonstrate some stubborn lack of vision locally and that we seemed to have been wasting our collective breathes for at least 5 years.

hahhaha.. you are priceless Richard Clap... and came to your post, which I missed earlier, because of a link posted in another thread that has been recently started directing them here. 

Yo!... collabs....  any of you see what is going on in the forums these days... . M@X doesn't have time for this crap.. and even before he didn't...  the half stars were apparantly shot down. Reviews.. not ratings matter... for those who write them at least hahha and ratings without reviews are wanted by the owner and that is probably not going to change. Even if they are worthless and pointless for any of us.   Why don't let people know that instead of directing them to old threads.  The logistics of doing it are a hard one to deal with in the best of times... and you all know that M@X has slightly more important things to deal with.
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2008 at 11:32
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

Originally posted by Pnoom! Pnoom! wrote:

It seems like every change to the site's format and design (of which there have been a lot in the past year) have been made with no input from members (and, unsurprisingly, widely disapproved of in many cases), whereas ideas like the half-star system, which have been around forever and supported every time they've been brought up, are consistently ignored.

Such an observation is misinformed, and frankly way out of line.

There are few webmasters of major sites such as this who take on board the members comments in the way M@x does. The changes he has made in the past may not have met with your personal approval, but that is a completely different point. Persistently attacking our webmaster is not a constructive way of instigating change.

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how expressing my feelings once based on my (admittedly limited) knowledge of the site's workings is either persistently attacking the webmaster or out of line.  Seems to me like it raises a legitimate concern.

A concern that, as it happens, you could quell by providing examples of improvements made in the past year that did take into account member suggestions.  Otherwise your above post is just empty words.

Edited by Pnoom! - July 31 2008 at 11:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>