Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg and the younger generation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 15:57
Prog can be hip, if you think about. A recent development in the hipster world is the "obscure hipster" who is usually into lesser-known music and more "obscure" stuff than your average hipster. For example, they could still like hip bands like Interpol, The Strokes, The Killers, and Feist, but also listen to things like Wolves in the Throne Room, Pelican, Isis, and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. They wear artsy graphic t-shirts and necklaces with symbols of exotic religions and usually have long hair.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 16:00
Originally posted by Toaster Mantis Toaster Mantis wrote:

Originally posted by keiser willhelm keiser willhelm wrote:

i think prog is kind of hip right now. its cool to know obscure, artsy bands. bands like the mars volta and radiohead, though they arnt the most progressive band ever, are becoming more and more popular. people are experimenting. bands are experimenting. i think that close to 3/4 of the people i know enjoy this style of at least semi progressive music much more than hip/hop rap etc. and i think that this is a growing trend.

I have mixed feelings about this.

I hope most of these people get into prog because they understand it and appreciate it, not because listening to obscure music makes them feel "hip". I guess that by making a post like this, I might myself be falling into that very pitfall of treating music like some sort of yuppie status symbol LOL... but it's not an unknown phenomenon that rather "high concept" bands feel they're throwing pearls before swine when they become popular. Also, when a genre becomes a fad it risks becoming oversaturated with substandard bands getting record deals and wide distribution because their style has suddenly become easy to market. I know this has happened with glam rock in the seventies+eighties, grunge in the nineties and retro-rock here in the 21st century (okay that's not really a genre but still a useful category) so it's not just mindless snobbery on my part. Like with what I mentioned, too, it's neither unthinkable that these new prog fans will lose interest when the "next big thing" comes around and it'll be the late seventies all over again.

Fortunately, from your choice of words it looks like many people one might call "bandwagon-jumpers" or "Johnny-come-latelies"  - or at least the ones you know Wink - develop an actual appreciation for prog as in one beyond it being fashionable or because they think it's "funny". If I seem somewhat ignorant of what's going on in prog right now, I'll admit to this being very much the case as I'm more interested in checking out those of the classics I'm not familiar with yet. Ouch

Oh, and Radiohead might be artsy, but obscure is the last word I would use to describe a band popular enough to have headlined this year's Roskilde Festival. Tongue

I didnt say radiohead were obscure, every kid and their brother knows about radiohead. but its not "mainstream" per say (though it is) its not rap, hip hop, R&B, not what the original poster was talking about.
i hope it didnt sound like the people i know were bandwagon'ers, i dont think i came across that way. i said they enjoyed it. they didnt just listen to it to be popular and hip. they like it genuinely and have introduced me to some really great bands (the animal collective, deerhunter, hella, yakuza, drive like jehu)

The internet is changing things. its bringing music to the masses in completely different ways. where before you had to research a band extensively, or maybe even just through word of mouth try and discover something new then go about the process of hunting down the CD if it even exists outside of a foreign country,  now you have myspace and sites like PA delivering you instantaneously thousands of bands that you can then immediately go and download in the span of 5 minutes their entire discography. . . its making it easy to know these bands, to know progressive music.

Wrong choice of words i guess and maybe im changing my mind from my original post but i think you have to admit that artsy music and in turn progressive music is becoming more and more popular. the prog circles are expanding. just look at this site. its growing and it is mostly due to the younger members.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 16:08
Originally posted by Avantgardehead Avantgardehead wrote:

Prog can be hip, if you think about. A recent development in the hipster world is the "obscure hipster" who is usually into lesser-known music and more "obscure" stuff than your average hipster. For example, they could still like hip bands like Interpol, The Strokes, The Killers, and Feist, but also listen to things like Wolves in the Throne Room, Pelican, Isis, and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. They wear artsy graphic t-shirts and necklaces with symbols of exotic religions and usually have long hair.

LOL this was one of the top image results or "hipster" in google.

Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 16:36

Prog can be hip, if you think about. A recent development in the hipster world is the "obscure hipster" who is usually into lesser-known music and more "obscure" stuff than your average hipster. For example, they could still like hip bands like Interpol, The Strokes, The Killers, and Feist, but also listen to things like Wolves in the Throne Room, Pelican, Isis, and Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

What is it about Wolves in the Throne Room that endears them to the generically alternative crowd, who generally don't care much about that particular type of metal? The band in question having a really long name, or being a bunch of greenies?
Avantgardehead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 16:41
The naive part of me wants to say that they're all kids who genuinely enjoy the music, but another part of me wants to agree with you on the greenie issue. But then again, I don't know... I'm kind of a hipster and I love atmospheric black metal.
http://www.last.fm/user/Avantgardian
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 16:41
Originally posted by keiser willhelm keiser willhelm wrote:

I didnt say radiohead were obscure

Actually, you did. Your exact words were its cool to know obscure, artsy bands. bands like the mars volta and radiohead, though they arnt the most progressive band ever, are becoming more and more popular. Typing that would make no sense if your intent wasn't to say that The Mars Volta and Radiohead were obscure and artsy. Wink

Quote i hope it didnt sound like the people i know were bandwagon'ers, i dont think i came across that way. i said they enjoyed it. they didnt just listen to it to be popular and hip. they like it genuinely and have introduced me to some really great bands (the animal collective, deerhunter, hella, yakuza, drive like jehu)

Good to hear then. Smile
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 16:44
Prog is actually rather hip....or some of it at least. I frequent an indie forum and many prog bands are celebrated, such as all of krautrock, King Crimson, Yes, even Genesis to a lesser degree. There's definitely a lot of prog under the surface and yes there are many kids who love more art-rock minded indie bands (Animal Collective, Yeasayer, Menomena, TV on the Radio, the list goes on) so progressive music is far from dead in my generation.
But then again, the reggaeton craze is very dead up here
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 16:55
A few years ago I visited a concert by a Dutch 70-77 Genesis tribute band, among the visitors were 3 16-17 old guys who knew every song and they let us know, incredible. And during the gigs I witnessed from Anekdoten, The Dutch Symforce Festival and a Dutch triple progrock bands festival I noticed lots of young progheads Clap To me it seems that nowadays progrock is a kind of vivid underground scene, joined by younger people who are fed up with the commercial pop and rock music, supported by jeans and alcohol multinationals who try to brainwash you buying their articles instead of developping a serious adventure to discover good music Angry
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 16:58

The naive part of me wants to say that they're all kids who genuinely enjoy the music, but another part of me wants to agree with you on the greenie issue. But then again, I don't know...

One thing's for certain: It is rather odd that a rather typical black metal act - and an obscure one at that - is becoming popular with people who otherwise don't really like that genre. It's pretty obvious that there are extra-musical factors at play here.

Edited by Toaster Mantis - July 28 2008 at 16:59
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 17:02
It seems as if Prog had become so obscure, that it went full circle and now it's getting respect again. Don't look for it with mainstream audiences -- that wasn't even the case in the 70's. But as far as an underground movement goes, I think it gained credibility amongst the "hip", if for no other reason than the genre continued to exist even as it wallows in obscurity...So, it's not like they can sneer at it because people are only doing it for the money, or because it supports large corporate record labels...

But that theory only works for the youth who seek out the unpopular, which has always been the essence of underground music...

Just today I saw an ad on Craigslist of a band looking for members - they described it as Prog/Punk. Those two genres were certainly mutually exclusive in the 70's!

Edited by jplanet - July 28 2008 at 17:04
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 17:10
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

It seems as if Prog had become so obscure, that it went full circle and now it's getting respect again. Don't look for it with mainstream audiences -- that wasn't even the case in the 70's. But as far as an underground movement goes, I think it gained credibility amongst the "hip", if for no other reason than the genre continued to exist even as it wallows in obscurity...So, it's not like they can sneer at it because people are only doing it for the money, or because it supports large corporate record labels...

I think this is much simpler: Prog's usually (but not always) very self-consciously artsy so it has a natural appeal to people who have a very "It's... THE ARTS!" approach to life. Tongue

Quote Just today I saw an ad on Craigslist of a band looking for members - they described it as Prog/Punk. Those two genres were certainly mutually exclusive in the 70's!

Not if you're Hawkwind. Wink
Darklord55 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 18:29

My kids are 15 and 18.  Here's a short list of bands they like from the prog world.  I'll let the list speak for itself.

Opeth
Flower Kings
Porcupine Tree
Eloy
Yes
Nektar
Ozric Tentacles
Pink Floyd
Hawkwind
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
Pelican
Kingfisher Sky
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Pineapple Thief
Meshuggah
Radiohead
Black Bonzo
Wicked Minds
Mellow Candle
AmericanKhatru View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 18:31
Originally posted by ziggystardust360 ziggystardust360 wrote:

I find it funny that among teenagers prog is unknown.And I'm the only exception being 15.Many only recognize Genesis with Phil Collins,many only know Yes's ''Owner of a Lonely Heart''.They only know these great prog bands for the poppy stuff they did in the 80's and they primarily think of them as that one band from that one song.They don't know that before Phil Collins,Peter Gabriel was lead singer and making great music.And they don't know Yes was making classics like ''Roundabout''. 
  It seems everyone is trapped in mainstream stuff.
So heres a question is progressive music dead among the youth of today?

I share your sentiment and am hopefully going to prove you at least slightly wrong. I am going into my sophomore year in high school, and have turned into an absolute Yeshead. (I can partially thank my dad on this one). I fully consider Tales From Topographic Oceans to be the greatest prog album ever made, and my only regret is that I wasn't alive in the 70's so I missed out on all the magic. Talk about getting to the party 25 years too late. It's only recently that a friend of my dad's got me interested in modern prog. Mainly Dream Theater and Spock's Beard, but hey, it's hard after starting off with Yes.

I've also managed to get some of my friends interested in prog. They're taking up guitar, and there's nothing like letting them hear Steve Howe shred on Yours Is No Disgrace or beautify a piece like Sketches in the Sun. I've always believed that prog is musician's music, and it's not hard to get them interested so long as the quality is good. So, to answer your question, I would have to say no. It all depends on where you look.
Statutory-Mike View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 18:48
I'm also 15 years old, and I'm friends with a group of 7 or 8 friends who love prog in my school. We go to shows together, share music, a few of us are even in a Prog Metal band together. I will admit that when we go to shows like: Dream Theater, Rush, Porcupine Tree, Opeth....there aren't many teenagers there other than us.

I think that we're among a few teenagers in the world that are privelaged to know of all this music, and we're telling more people about it, they're telling more people. If anything the numbers are increasing, not decreasing.
crimson87 View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 20:04
Originally posted by DJPuffyLemon DJPuffyLemon wrote:

[

As you may notice, I completely disagree of what you said.
Fiar enough to disagree, but I kept on the same topic during the post, that being that I think I know more prog bands than the older prog fans. Its a mathematical fact:

Them: 70s
Me: 70s + 80s + 90s + 00 = a lot more!

That's just he impression I'm getting when talking to ppl in real life and when reading reviews on the site which are like, "this isn't prog, I lament the good old days when we had Genesis. that was prog! what is this stuff? it doesn't even change time signatures!"
[/QUOTE]

I think you are wrong.How can you know more than a man who lived in the heydays of prog!!! Being part of the movement is not the same as  having You Tube or E Mule. We have access to a lot more records , as an example I have more than 120 GB of music. But I'll have to live 300 years in order to listen to that.
There is no way you  would know more than an 55 years old guy.
And besides , It doesn't matter if I am 21 , I belong to the old school of the 70's Extreme growling metal doesn't do it yor me.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 21:09
Originally posted by Darklord55 Darklord55 wrote:

My kids are 15 and 18.  Here's a short list of bands they like from the prog world.  I'll let the list speak for itself.

Opeth
Flower Kings
Porcupine Tree
Eloy
Yes
Nektar
Ozric Tentacles
Pink Floyd
Hawkwind
Pelican
Kingfisher Sky
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Pineapple Thief
Meshuggah
Radiohead
Black Bonzo
Wicked Minds
Mellow Candle

Interesting, get them some Talisma. Big%20smile
Possibly, Jonas Hellborg Art Metal, too.

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 28 2008 at 21:29
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

ziggystardust360 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 21:15
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Darklord55 Darklord55 wrote:

Opeth
Flower Kings
Porcupine Tree
Eloy
Yes
Nektar
Ozric Tentacles
Pink Floyd
Hawkwind
Pelican
Kingfisher Sky
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Pineapple Thief
Meshuggah
Radiohead
Black Bonzo
Wicked Minds
Mellow Candle

Interesting, get them some Talisma. Big%20smile

Once again,I stand corrected.
''I always had the repulsive need to be something other than human''-David Bowie
drkam6 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2008 at 23:08
First of all, I'm very happy to read your posting. Indeed, pretty much no teens are into progressive stuff. Today's youth are in total limbo. For a while during the 90's there were sparks of linking back to prog (i.e. Mercury Rev, Porcupine Tree) but nowadays the "American Idol" generation does not care at all - at all indeed - about true art. So I praise your interest, keep up the spark! Clap
"The path is clear, though no eyes can see;
The course laid down long before"
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 01:36
Originally posted by drkam6 drkam6 wrote:

First of all, I'm very happy to read your posting. Indeed, pretty much no teens are into progressive stuff. Today's youth are in total limbo. For a while during the 90's there were sparks of linking back to prog (i.e. Mercury Rev, Porcupine Tree) but nowadays the "American Idol" generation does not care at all - at all indeed - about true art. So I praise your interest, keep up the spark! Clap
Youth culture changes very little, even with the internet.

I completely disagree, prog and prog-esque music is hugely popular through the rise of indie. Have you noticed that The Mars Volta are on a major label? That says quite a bit in my mind.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2008 at 01:59
indie music couldnt be what it is today without the internet. at least, i highly doubt it. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>