Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Music and Musicians Exchange
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe cacophony of light - bits (2005)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 3.75  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2009 at 19:46
PS: I don't think I like Pilgrim very much - some days I listen to it and almost enjoy it, but mostly I hate it. It wasn't what I set out to do when I started producing music three years earlier, and it certainly wasn't the kind of music I really wanted to make - somewhere along the way I seem to have wandered off course. I recorded one more album (Stateless - also available on LastFM), and in December 2005 I just stopped.

What?
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2009 at 15:10
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

PS: I don't think I like Pilgrim very much - some days I listen to it and almost enjoy it, but mostly I hate it. It wasn't what I set out to do when I started producing music three years earlier, and it certainly wasn't the kind of music I really wanted to make - somewhere along the way I seem to have wandered off course. I recorded one more album (Stateless - also available on LastFM), and in December 2005 I just stopped.

Wow, Dean. I really like Pilgrim! It's got to be one of my favorite that I've downloaded along with Moments and Metamorph. Very good stuffThumbs Up

I know it's been mentioned, but you really should try to get on the archives.Smile

Edited by J-Man - August 12 2009 at 17:36

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 30 2009 at 09:31
I promised myself I'd leave this thread alone for a few months, but I'm terrible at keeping promises, especially to myself.Embarrassed

Cast A Long Shadow, sample track from unreleased CD, Edge

My third album was supposed to be a concept album with vocals provided by several of my friends - I wrote and recorded all the music for the album, but with one thing and another recording the vocals went a bit sideways and it never got finished. Most of the problem was my self-conscious insecurity with the lyrics themselves - I should thrown out the words and have just asked Becki to vocalise over the whole thing.

Cleaning up my harddrive the other day I found two of the tracks that did get the vocal treatment, and I present one of them here - it was never intended to be the final version of this particular song, and I think the vocals probably are too high in the mix, but I quite like it as it is.

It's called Cast A Long Shadow, vocals are by Becki (Clark) and the random spacey guitar is by David (Stanton) - both of Prog Metal band Season's End.

Becki's vocals were recorded one hot summer's evening in 2002 in my attic where the temperatures where hitting 38ºC and it was only later I discovered that I'd clipped the signal on one of the high E's in the last verse - I underestimated the power of her voice and should have been more careful Ouch - (she has been known to blow stage monitors when a hapless sound engineer thought "oh, a girlie singer, I'd better wack the gain up") - I hadn't the heart to ask her to re-record it.

this is Becki:

A year after recording it I sent it to Future Music Magazine, this was their "review":

"Could be misconstrued as someone messing with an old analogue synth with someone singing over the top. One of the strangest jobs reason will ever be put too. Bit random but we can sort of see what you're doing." - Future Music (fm138) August 2003.

- I love that review - kind of gave me the encouragement that I was doing something right. LOL

So here it is - it's only 4:27 long....

Edited by Dean - February 08 2010 at 19:16
What?
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 05:30
^^

Need to get that one soon!

So far I've only got MOMENTS (Which I love), but over the next couple of days, I'll grab a few more.

Good work Dean

-Joel
J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 01 2009 at 18:56
^^ Joel,

Also pick up Metamorph. That album is phenomenal! And that really is saying something because I generally don't like electronic or math music.

-Jeff

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
el dingo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 17:27
Hi Dean

Just downloaded Moments - real smooth download (free artwork tooTongue) and from a 30-sec burst sound quality is pretty damn reasonable. Just got a new 8-gig Walkman phone and coincidentally I'm taking Mrs Dingo to the hospital tomorrow so an hour or so wait in the car park seems an ideal time to try out both the phone and your music!

I didn't even know you did this sort of thing - first thirty secs said Tangerine Dream to me but I guess I'd better hear the rest as wellWink 
It's not that I can't find worth in anything, it's just that I can't find worth in enough.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 03:37
Evenin' Dean!

As per J-Man's advice, I'm currently downloading METAMORPH

I'll drop in later and tell you what I thought

Thanks!
-Joel
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2009 at 21:26
Just finished listening to TESSELLATION BOULEVARD for the first time - Great work Dean

-Joel
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 14:29

Hey Dean, could you please "update" the cover-works from some of the albums? You know how prog fans are when choosing an album, they look at the cover-work firstWink

If it's too much of a problem then don't worry, I'll download some of them which cover-work can be seen.

Edited by The Quiet One - December 13 2009 at 14:40
The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 14:41
THANKS! Hug

Downloaded Antiquarian will listen it as soon as I finish what I'm listening.

Edited by The Quiet One - December 13 2009 at 14:52
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 14:56
^ The server where the covers are stored is a bit erratic - usually a refesh or show-pictures will reveal them.

If anyone wants the complete artwork for any album drop me a PM - Moments has the full set of artwork (booklet & jewelcase tray) in the zip-file, the others haven't.

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2009 at 16:29

Trilithon 2004  

Trilithon (pronounced Tri-Lith-on) is a single track composed in three movements that was partly inspired by an earlier CoL album (Antiquarian), 2001 A Space Odyssey and Stonehenge. It was a concept album that proposed the idea that the solitary monolith found on the Moon in Kubrick's 2001 was in fact part of a larger structure that was an exact replica of Stonehenge. (Full story >|here|<).

The length of the track is 62:26 ... not a coincidence, though not particularly significant.

"Instruments" on this album were Reason 2.5, Oberheim OB12 and some odd bits of electronics. I'd call the musical style Electronic With Percussion.

Edited by Dean - March 18 2011 at 08:18
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2010 at 03:23

Intro Red - Video

This is a video I put together for the last track on the last album I made (Intro Red from Stateless). It was filmed using an old Fuji finepix digital camera that only allowed 1 minute bursts of filming and the individual scenes were put together using some freeware editing package whose name escapes me at the moment.

What?
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 03:32
I've downloaded Moments and Metamorph tonight to listen to (tomorrow at the earliest, I need to get to sleep soon since it's now 4:30 AM), from what I've seen people saying in this thread it seems like the kind of stuff I'm interested in.  
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2010 at 14:12
I'm enjoying Moments so far, Dean, it sounds great to me. Thumbs Up
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 19:18
My website's down ...Cry I'm currently looking for a new host.

I've updated the covers from PhotoBucket and the mp3 Downloads are still okay.
What?
The Pessimist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2010 at 20:27
I'm very impressed with how you've managed to create so much music in just 3 years. I find it unbelievable in fact. You are one gifted man

Keep them coming as well man, I've had a ganders at some of it and some very nice stuff indeed.
"Market value is irrelevant to intrinsic value."

Arnold Schoenberg
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2010 at 19:02
I dug the video so I finally am currently downloading Moments as it seems to be the entry point or most rah-rah. I've been getting into more moody music lately, but also dissonant stuff so it sounds right up my alley.

This is really good stuff Dean...better than any TD I've heard.

Edited by Negoba - February 13 2010 at 19:37
You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 05:17

Finally sorted out the website - taken it "in house" and running it on a stand-alone server on my home network as that seems to be the only reliable solution. Unfortunately it is a slooooow uplink so the pages take a while to load, I'll fix that one day by moving all the images to photobucket or something, but at least it's back:

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2010 at 05:18

Ballet

Recorded early in 2005, this isn't a dance album, though I have put some "beats" into it (never really mastered using a drum machine, probably because I don't like programmed drums - I sat down at a real drum kit once and it felt like I had two left hands so that's never going to be an option) - the title comes from the cover image and not the music which in itself was incidental to the concept. It's one of the few where the cover and title came first and the music was added after (as an after thought as it where). I don't know whether that shows in the music, or even if it is relevant

I created a set of Postcards (using recycled backgrounds Embarrassed) to go with the album, which can be found here: http://pbckt.com/sw.hh 

Tracks:
1. prima ballerina (20:43)
2. dancing on the edge of time (34:11)

Edited by Dean - February 26 2010 at 05:32
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>