Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBad Lyrics in Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 16:34
There is a lot of really crap lyrics in prog (Yes, a lot of Dream Theater (but certainly not all), Beardfish, ELP, Rush etc) and then there's a lot of excellent lyrics (Marillion, Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator, Pain of Salvation etc) but the majority is just OK, with nothing special about them but hardly cring worthy. This is not anything special because most genres are like this, with a few really great lyricists, several really crap lyricists and many that are just OK. 
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 16:35
^DT's lyrics became crap once John Myung stopped writing.
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 16:40
^Voices has some of the best lyrics of the 90's, yet its a John Petrucci song. Myung only wrote 4 or 5 songs and, though very good, is probably given more credit than he's due.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 17:00
I agree that all genres have bad lyrics, so maybe it is unfair to single out prog. But for a genre that is loved by many for the intricate musicianship and complexity of song, the bad lyrics just seem to stick out even more. I mean, we all expect Nickleback's lyrics to suck the hard one, but there music does too, so it evens out. It isn't even for bands like DT and Symphony X, because like 'em or hate 'em, there is no doubt they are talented.

And, as to my signature of "I repeat myself under stress," it is a joke, and a lyric used in a King Crimson song (can't remember which one, it's off of one of the blue/yellow/red albums) that gave me a chuckle.

Edit: It might be from the song "Elephant Talk."

Edited by ~Rael~ - February 24 2009 at 17:01
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
AlexUC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 17:15
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

There is a lot of really crap lyrics in prog (Yes, a lot of Dream Theater (but certainly not all), Beardfish, ELP, Rush etc) and then there's a lot of excellent lyrics (Marillion, Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator, Pain of Salvation etc) but the majority is just OK, with nothing special about them but hardly cring worthy. This is not anything special because most genres are like this, with a few really great lyricists, several really crap lyricists and many that are just OK. 
Agreed. In fact I would add, which other genre features interesting lyrics? Pop Dead? Jazz Confused? Classical LOL? Folk Sleepy? Metal Angry? I think prog is one of the very few musical genres interested in exposing at least some coherent ideas on the lyrics
This is not my beautiful house...
MrEdifus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 17:15
Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

Originally posted by Trademark Trademark wrote:

^^ That was just a marketing ploy.  Wilson moved PT to  the Roadrunner label (the lonely teenage boy angst label) and he wrote an album that catered specifically to that market segment.  Derek Shulman should be drawn and quartered for Roadrunner, but for him it's all about making money now, he left the music waaaaay behind.

One post u[ to Erpland's post 

No one seems to realize that FOABP is a concept record told through a teenager's point of view. The lyrics were written the way they were for a reason.

Exactly. They're not selling out by marketing to emo kids, they're writing in character as a critique or maybe even satire of emo kids. It's exactly the opposite.

And as for your sig, Rael... it's "Indiscipline."

Originally posted by AlexUC AlexUC wrote:

Agreed. In fact I would add, which other genre features interesting lyrics? Pop Dead? Jazz Confused? Classical LOL? Folk Sleepy? Metal Angry? I think prog is one of the very few musical genres interested in exposing at least some coherent ideas on the lyrics

Also, for the record, there are many metal bands not listed on PA that actually write good lyrics.

Edited by MrEdifus - February 24 2009 at 17:16

JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 17:21
Actually, I always felt that Flaw had pretty good lyrics. Too bad hardly anyone knows who they are.
OzzProg View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 17:58
Originally posted by fuxi fuxi wrote:

Originally posted by OzzProg OzzProg wrote:

A good example of this would be Aisles of Plenty by Genesis; the lyrics are meaningless, but just sound so damn cool in the song.

Aisle of Plenty makes a lot of sense, especially when you realise much of it is made up of puns on the names of British supermarkets, like Tesco and Safeway! And rattling off the names and prices of store products is pure poetry.

Ok, well you are correct. If you deeply look into pretty much any lyric, it is meaningful / funny in some way or another. The point I was trying to make is that, in most songs you would hear, rattling off the names and prices of foods would sound absolutely terrible. However, in the certain context of Aisles of Plenty, it works wonderfully, making good use of the lyrics.

Edited by OzzProg - February 24 2009 at 18:00
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 18:04

^Voices has some of the best lyrics of the 90's, yet its a John Petrucci song. Myung only wrote 4 or 5 songs and, though very good, is probably given more credit than he's due.

That's not really fair. I didn't say that other members of DT have never written a good lyric; what I in fact said was that after Myung quite writing, DT's lyrics haven't been any good. I'm assuming you don't agree? Petrucci had written all of his good lyrics by the time that SFaM was released, and Portnoy has always been too straightforward a writer for me to get into. Kevin Moore was okay, but he's no longer in the band, and James LaBrie could be really great, but he doesn't write frequently enough.

Every song written by John Myung has moved me in ways lyrically that no one else in the band is anywhere near. Every. Single. Song. He had no low point lyrically, as far as I am concerned. How is that overrated? It's just an opinion. I'm not proclaiming that he was the best songwriter in history, or even Prog history; I just feel that he was the best writer of all of the DT guys.
~Rael~ View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 21:13
I think metal is one of the better genres for music, but maybe that's just because I can't understand them most of the time. I do like Lamb of God's lyrics though (for the most part). He is one of this rare screamer/growlers who enunciates, haha.

And I recent that slam against roadrunner. I like a lot of bands on that label. YOU HAVE GREATLY OFFENDED ME.
I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress, I repeat myself when under stress . . .
Trademark View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 21:37
"YOU HAVE GREATLY OFFENDED ME."

Then I can sleep easy.  My work here is done.
Jake Kobrin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 21:49
Originally posted by Erpland316 Erpland316 wrote:

Another band worth mentioning is Porcupine Tree.  One has to admit their lyrics especially on FOABP are very cheesy.  Mr. Wilson took the whole teenage angst/xbox loving thing way to far.

The lyrics of In Absentia are good. They're quite delusional and make little sense but I also enjoy the lyrics of the sky moves sideways. They're poetic at least.
the icon of sin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 04:58
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

There are of course some unwittingly comedic Spinal Tap moments in the Sabbath catalogue:
From the otherwise excellent 'War Pigs'

Generals gathered in their masses
Just like witches at black masses

Bravo Ozzy, what rhymes with masses better than erm...masses ?

Didn't Geezer write most of Sabbath's lyrics?
Dalezilla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 05:11
Originally posted by AlexUC AlexUC wrote:

Wrong. You clearly haven't listened to other genres besides prog. There's a lot of absolutely beatiful lyrics in many genres.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 05:19

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Oh please, Arriving UFO and Circus of Heaven are pure cheese IMO.

Iván

Even after all these years, I'm still asking myself, were Yes being tonge in cheek when they wrote 'Circus of Heaven' or had they become so divored from reality, through their stardom, and excusrions across topographic oceans, that they genuinely believed, they were penning something of merit?

If the latter, I am dissapointed.

Genesis also wrote some dire lyrics after Gabriel left. 'All in a mouses night' is laughable, and most of the 'And then there were three' album is awful, lyric wise.

I totally agree about 'All in a mouses night'. And 'Eleventh Earl of Mar' is not much better. Such lyrics seriously devaluate WIND AND WUTHERING (stupid album title, by the way) which is a shame, as 'Blood on the Rooftops' is a real gem: in all respects (lyrics included) one of the best Genesis tracks ever.

But can we have a serious discussion about 'Circus of Heaven'? What is it exactly that irritates you so about this track?

Well, it's tricky to have a serious discussion about it, as I've never worked out if it's supposed to be a serious song. However, in a nutshell, the sacharin sweetness of it all is just not my cup of tea. Where Anderson is saying how beautiful, amazing and wonderful the circus is, and his son replies that there were no lions, tigers clowns, toffee apples etc is just too much cheese on my toast for me. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to laugh or cry at that point.

I love Yes, but it's little gems like this that probably contributed to the fall of the house of prog in the 70's.

Edited by Blacksword - February 25 2009 at 05:24
fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 05:46
I agree with you, Blacksword, that by the time of TORMATO, Yes sounded awfully cheesy. You can hear it not just in the lyrics, but in Rick Wakeman's keyboard solos as well. (Rick sounds particularly ugly in "Don't kill the whale" which, however, has some great guitar!)

But don't forget there was a lot of cheese on GFTO as well. Take these immortal lines from "Turn of the Century":

Roan shaped his heart
Thru his working hands
Work to mould his passion into clay
Like the sun

Does the sun feel passion? Does it mould clay? Is Roan like the sun in any way?

And also, I think that both "Circus of Heaven" and "Arriving UFO" are a kind of self-parody.

"Arriving UFO" is the humorous counterpart of "Wonderous stories" (a track I've always intensely disliked), and in "Circus of Heaven" Jon Anderson mocks his own past attempts at writing epic ""poetry"" (the word should be put between at least double inverted commas), as you can see in:

For what seemed only just a moment in time
Seven solemn flying silvered regal horses rode by
Seven golden chariots in tow, a wonder to behold
The Seven Lords of the Mountains of Time

The fact that his little son complains there are "no clowns" could even be seen as a critique of 1970s progressive rock as a whole! Most of it had become far too pompous (cf. ELP's WORKS Vols. I/II). In many ways, bands like Madness, Ian Dury and the Blockheads and even Kid Creole and the Coconuts injected rock music with a spirit of fun that proved more than welcome! Yes would benefit from the same re-vitalised spirit when they recorded the excellent DRAMA. (Tellingly, without those prime cheesemongers Anderson and Wakeman.)

Of course it's true J.A.'s little boy sounds awfully sentimental... My guess is that he had actually spoken the same words when the Andersons visited some over-flashy circus. A pity Jon wasn't able to record the little chap when his words sounded more natural and spontaneous...
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 06:43
There is a hilariously bad Flower Kings lyric which I'm trying to remember, something about horses I believe, anyone know?

A lot of their lyrics are bad but that can probably be forgiven as they're not native English speakers.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 07:20

I agree with you, Blacksword, that by the time of TORMATO, Yes sounded awfully cheesy. You can hear it not just in the lyrics, but in Rick Wakeman's keyboard solos as well. (Rick sounds particularly ugly in "Don't kill the whale" which, however, has some great guitar!)

But don't forget there was a lot of cheese on GFTO as well. Take these immortal lines from "Turn of the Century":

Roan shaped his heart
Thru his working hands
Work to mould his passion into clay
Like the sun

Does the sun feel passion? Does it mould clay? Is Roan like the sun in any way?

And also, I think that both "Circus of Heaven" and "Arriving UFO" are a kind of self-parody.

"Arriving UFO" is the humorous counterpart of "Wonderous stories" (a track I've always intensely disliked), and in "Circus of Heaven" Jon Anderson mocks his own past attempts at writing epic ""poetry"" (the word should be put between at least double inverted commas), as you can see in:

For what seemed only just a moment in time
Seven solemn flying silvered regal horses rode by
Seven golden chariots in tow, a wonder to behold
The Seven Lords of the Mountains of Time

The fact that his little son complains there are "no clowns" could even be seen as a critique of 1970s progressive rock as a whole! Most of it had become far too pompous (cf. ELP's WORKS Vols. I/II). In many ways, bands like Madness, Ian Dury and the Blockheads and even Kid Creole and the Coconuts injected rock music with a spirit of fun that proved more than welcome! Yes would benefit from the same re-vitalised spirit when they recorded the excellent DRAMA. (Tellingly, without those prime cheesemongers Anderson and Wakeman.)

Of course it's true J.A.'s little boy sounds awfully sentimental... My guess is that he had actually spoken the same words when the Andersons visited some over-flashy circus. A pity Jon wasn't able to record the little chap when his words sounded more natural and spontaneous...

Good points there, fuxi.

'Turn of the Century' does have some dodgy lines in it, but overall I think it's a very heartfelt story Anderson is trying to tell, and musically its near perfect for the Yes formula at the time.

I like to think of Circus of Heaven being parody. It's awkward to think of grown men in one of my favourote bands taking that seriously.

Generally speaking I'm not a big lyrics man anyway, but when they really stand out, and a song is built so much around the narrative, dodgy lyrics can be really off putting for me. Yes have never really been coherent song writers in terms of their lyrics, imo, but Anderson has often been able to use words, to perfectly fit the musical accompanment. Close to the Edge, as a case in point, is meaningless to me as a concept; indeed knowing what it's about, may strip the piece of its mysterious charm. But, Andersons voice becomes another instrument in the band, and the words he chooses, for their sound, become part of the rhythms and melodies. It's a classic Yes formula.

I remember reading that Chris Squire looked forward to being there when Jon Anderson was interviwed, and asked about the meaning of his lyrics. Squire said, after the interviews neither HE nor the interviewer were really any the wiser
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 07:38
There was a documentary on Yes some years back in which Chris Squire made it clear he didn't have a clue what most of the lyrics were about & frankly didn't care as long as they 'sounded good'

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2009 at 07:43
^^^ Makes you wonder how many Yes fans invested hours of their time, trying to analyse all those lyrics, trying to find depth and meaning..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>