Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Petition to change site's drug discussion policy
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPetition to change site's drug discussion policy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 01:15
^ The basic principle is that drug usage in whatever form is frowned upon here on PA, and discussions advocating mostly illegal substances is frowned upon too. I reckon respect that guideline or consider frequenting other forums with drug induced discussion theories, that do I am sure fill up cyberspace in abundance.

It is that simple really, not being rude, just move on................conversationally speaking. Agree to disagree.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Dalezilla View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 01:46
Marijuana is not a gateway drug. I'll back up my claim after work...
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 02:48
Originally posted by Rileydog22 Rileydog22 wrote:

M@X wants a strict drug discussion policy. M@X owns the site. It's that simple. It's not a legal or moral issue, it's a the-guy-who-owns-the-site-says-no issue

Succinctly put - please bear in mind if you want to discuss or promote any illegal activities, be it drug use, file swapping or anything else without let or hinderance, there are no end of other forums out there to do so.

But not here.

However, for those expecting one of the Admin team to come in all guns blazing, issuing warnings & getting all medieval, I think a little clarification of the site forum's rules & regulations are required here:

Quote 5 - No Illegal activities. Posts and threads promoting or facilitating file swapping, drug abuse, or any other forum of illegal activity are not permitted. Any such posts will be deleted

As this thread is at the moment promoting discussion of the subject, no foul - in fact, I'd thank Teo for his frank and open contributions to the discussion.

However, please bear in mind this thread is being watched.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 02:57
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ The basic principle is that drug usage in whatever form is frowned upon here on PA,

Not quite Chris, it is not the usage which is frowned upon, it is discussion about usage (and any other illegal activity) which is vetoed.

Personally, if this site were allowed to become a haven for discussing such things, I for one would move on quickly.

It seems to me Stonebeard that there is little support for your petition. Perhaps you will finally accept this and stop pushing the matter.

On an admin note, this thread will not be allowed to become a back door way of discussing drugs either. Any discussion must remain about site policy.

keiser willhelm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 03:15
Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

It seems to me Stonebeard that there is little support for your petition. Perhaps you will finally accept this and stop pushing the matter.

Confused it seemed to me that most people were in agreement with what he was saying.

an open forum for discussion should be promoted, whether or not you view drug use positively or negatively. I think, as does teo, aaron, and others that the ability to discuss these things in a rational, and civilized manor without branching into promotion of drug use would be completely fine, and in agreement with site policy.

Quote 5 - No Illegal activities. Posts and threads promoting or facilitating file swapping, drug abuse, or any other forum of illegal activity are not permitted. Any such posts will be deleted

i honestly see no breech in policy here.

can they not be brought up at all? this isnt strictly a music forum, we have threads just for fun, random discussions, threads about favorite beers... i guess where do you draw the line? alcohol a drug (one of the most heavily abused and destructive i might add)  is illegal for me (20) and yet i am allowed to discuss it while it is in fact begin promoted here. why is that allowed? PA knows that many of its users are underaged.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 04:55
All I have to add to this discussion is that here in Georgia you cannot publicly refer to a bong as a bong in a store that sells them, you must use the term water pipe. LOL

But how about this?:
popularity.png
I do want to make it perfectly clear that I am in no way endorsing the use of conservative leaders.  Just say no. 

But seriously, you can talk about just anything on this site except for some explicit sexual things just as long as you don't promote or advocate it.  Seems reasonable enough to me.

Edited by Slartibartfast - February 24 2009 at 06:25
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 06:29
In my country it's forbidden to show symbols of totalitarian regimes, such as the communist symbols in the avatars & sigs of the guys or the swastica. You should really check the Canadian Law about totalitarian propaganda, in order to prevent anything bad happening to PA due to reports.
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 07:37
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Quote It's not an safe thing as it's not done for any useful reason other than experimenting... in any other case, is more than likely escapism or selfishness and extreme egocentriscm... That's what drugs make you... A person that 110% only thinks about him/herself... without actually thinking...

Not all cases of driving are useful.
That's true. But some are. Now tell me ONE example of really USEFUL drug using. Like alcohol, it never can be really useful...

I resent this.
Ever heard of Terrence McKenna? Timothy Leary? Aldous Huxley? Alan Watts? I think drug use (depending on which) can be of infinite importance, and it is definitely not selfishness. In fact, it's the opposite. Meditative drug use is all about everything - the entire cosmos.

...I guess you're right, then. Because I am everything. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 07:41
Originally posted by Swan Song Swan Song wrote:

In my country it's forbidden to show symbols of totalitarian regimes, such as the communist symbols in the avatars & sigs of the guys or the swastica. You should really check the Canadian Law about totalitarian propaganda, in order to prevent anything bad happening to PA due to reports.

Yeah the only problem is that Canada is a totalitarian regime.

I'll check shortly.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 07:44

^ The basic principle is that drug usage in whatever form is frowned upon here on PA,

Not quite Chris, it is not the usage which is frowned upon, it is discussion about usage (and any other illegal activity) which is vetoed.

Personally, if this site were allowed to become a haven for discussing such things, I for one would move on quickly.

On an admin note, this thread will not be allowed to become a back door way of discussing drugs either. Any discussion must remain about site policy.

Sorry EL didn't see your post before my last, I'll stop.

But if we were to discuss the law and not the actual activity (such as talking about legalization of drugs as opposed to drugs themselves) is that fair game?
Pnoom! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 07:53

asdf

Edited by Pnoom! - February 24 2009 at 20:22
Negoba View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 09:09
I'm not sure I voted either way, and in fact I have discussions of these subjects on other forums and more importantly in my professional life all the time. Believe me folks, the discussion is played out. Maybe for the younger folks they need to go through it again, but there just isn't much new to say on the subject. Believe me, some of the statements I've seen here are ridiculously naive.

How about I talk about a legal activity for a second - smoking. We have a drug (nicotine) whose delivery system has been honed and refined to specifically be as addictive as it can be. The death-inducing qualities of this delivery system are unarguable. The death-inducing qualities of the delivery system for others in the vicinity is almost inarguable. Yet a gazillion dollars of our economy are wrapped up in this drug, and so it is legal almost everywhere. The bottom line in the real world is follow the money (which is a surrogate of power). Right and wrong, justice, common sense, take a distant back seat when determining policy - it's just the nature of politics. And when you're dealing with significant money or power, change is VERY difficult. It's like taking food from a hungry bear. As such, don't expect policy to change any time soon.

You are quite a fine person, and I am very fond of you. But you are only quite a little fellow, in a wide world, after all.
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 09:17
This is not a voting thread, it is an attempt at raising a petition. There is no need for those who do not support the petition to "vote" as such. So far the support seems to be 8 out of 23,000 potential signatures.

On a personal note, what I don't undertstand is why the persisitent desire from a small minority to discuss illegal activity here. Surely there must be plenty of other forums and websites which facilitate such discussion.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 09:31
Similarly - if you check my post, I voted neither way; mine was merely a post to clarify site rules & regulations.

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 09:53
I'm against the discussions of drugs on PA, and I therefore request the immediate locking of any threads on  beer, wine or other alcoholic beverages. 
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 09:57
Originally posted by Visitor13 Visitor13 wrote:

I'm against the discussions of drugs on PA, and I therefore request the immediate locking of any threads on  beer, wine or other alcoholic beverages. 

But note that it's not promotion of drug use that's forbidden here per se, it's that drug use falls under the rubric of illegal activities, the promotion of which is forbidden.  I suppose that technically if it's not legal for one to consume alcohol they shouldn't take part in the discussion, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to see that enforced.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 10:05
Originally posted by Swan Song Swan Song wrote:

What country are you from? Just curious, I see no info on your profile!
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 10:05
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

Originally posted by Visitor13 Visitor13 wrote:

But note that it's not promotion of drug use that's forbidden here per se, it's that drug use falls under the rubric of illegal activities, the promotion of which is forbidden.  I suppose that technically if it's not legal for one to consume alcohol they shouldn't take part in the discussion, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to see that enforced.

I understand the reason for the site's policy, and I would not want alcohol threads banned. It's just that any time I see a drug legalisation discussion, alcohol is the first thing that comes to my mind. After all, alcohol is only legal because any attempts at banning it have been and will be futile. Not unlike at least some drugs, to be honest.

Edited by Visitor13 - February 24 2009 at 10:06
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 10:11
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Nothing will change if we start talking about it either.
This site is run and is mostly contributed to by older people who aren't comfortable with those discussions; they deserve to have this place the way they want it to.

That's pure bull.....

M@X is around 35 and if the Admins are generally older (but not all of them either), most of us collabs are fairly liberal about it.

I myself s still a fairly frequent grass smoker (roughly four or five times a month), but I also believe that this is the kind of subject that should be monitored for the good of the site. Same goes for political threads and religious threads, this is sensible and always create trouble.

I'm sure that the drugs subjects/threads have never been censored if they relate to the music  and the effect on musicians. 
However, what is obvious is that we don't want to have threads discussing about street grade qualities for heroin and what's the best way to consume them......

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2009 at 10:15

Yeah that is basically what I mean'tSmile I see no benefit  though in all the cleverly worded debating this discussion takes which IMO leads down a nasty cul-de-sac with no positive outcome. Personally I see more positive discussion could be spent elsewhere on PA regardless of our liberal/non liberal viewpoints.

Los endos...
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>