Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedXTC one more time

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 09:10
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

Partridge as a hell of a character. I read an interview with him once where he was asked how he was using the cash from one of XTC's singles that was a (minor) success, and he answered that it had enabled him to pay for his kitchen extension. Rockstar talking.  LOL
Or how about the time Andy Partridge contrasted songwriting and fatherhood? He said, "What you are able create with your mind pales in comparison to what you can create with your (male appendage)."

I also recall Andy explaining how he comes up with an album's worth of songs. He said, "You build up some good creative roughage, and then you take a good creative dump."
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." - HST

debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 12:13
Human Alchemy ...
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 12:18
Quick note - the problem that will be encountered in considering XTC - if they get in, then the X vs Y arguement starts for many an intelligent pop band.
I love the Cars. My favourite album of theirs is Panorama. I'm sure that given a big effort, I could present a semi logical case for their consideration. Not that it would pass muster. But it could get a small firestorm started if any one else from Admin or the Collabs pitched in some support.
Same with Ric Ocasek's debut. Art Rock would have been the perfect place for it. Unfortunately, Ric went more commmercial with his next one.
"Here I am talking to some of the smartest people in the world and I didn't even notice,” Lieutenant Columbo, episode The Bye-Bye Sky-High I.Q. Murder Case.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 21:33
Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

if they get in, then the X vs Y arguement starts for many an intelligent pop band.

If there's one thing worse than the X vs Y argument it's the argument against the X vs Y argument. Tongue

And anyway, X isn't here nor is there any band called Y. LOL

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 19 2009 at 07:07
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 22:00
LOL
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by debrewguy debrewguy wrote:

if they get in, then the X vs Y arguement starts for many an intelligent pop band.

If there's one thing worse than the X vs Y argument it's the argument against the X vs Y argument. Tongue

And anyway, X isn't here nor is there any band called Y. LOL

Unless you've been hanging out on Zzyzx Road too long.  It's on I-15, a bit south of Baker, CA.   
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 22:41
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Unless you've been hanging out on Zzyzx Road too long.  It's on I-15, a bit south of Baker, CA.   

Now I'm curious, what kind of people or other living creatures hang out there?

Edited by Slartibartfast - May 19 2009 at 07:07
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2009 at 22:47
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

Now I'm curious, what kind of people or other living creatures hang out there?
Well that area's pretty much the Mojave Desert, and having only driven by a few times I'm guessing yer average habitant is something small, scaly, and highly poisonous.  Maybe a rattlesnake or two, or a scorpion, ya get the idea.  And now my XTC post has come to this LOL

Edited by jammun - May 14 2009 at 22:48
Saskia View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 12:37
C'm on, I love XTC since the early eighties when I bought the LPs of  Black Sea and English Settlement. They're great at writing intelligent, quirky pop/rock songs but the band is not progressive at all. There are no extended instrumental sections, extended solos and intricate metres. XTC didn't influence any prog bands, they weren't influenced by prog bands, they never considered themselves a prog band. XTC is a great band but it's NOT prog...Confused

Hell, I can make a better case for Orchestral Manoevres in the Dark to be included on this site. At least OMD wrote a number of longer, mostly instrumental songs (Sealand, Statues, Stanlow), used Mellotron on songs like Joan of Arc (Maid of Orleans) and they wrote a mostly experiemtal album called Dazzle Ships. OMD was also heavily influenced by Kraftwerk on their first LPs so that settles it: let's include OMD! Wink

clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2009 at 14:53
I agree with OMD and Pere Ubu. They deserve a place 100%.

I wouldn't mind seeing XTC here, in prog related. Even their "poppier" albums, closer to punk/new wave contain a few things to scratch your head about. My favourite is "Black Sea": The Somnambulist, Paper and Iron and Travels In Nihilion are incredible and as close to prog as you can get. The other songs are more pop, but not more straightforward: they're full of little tricks, polyrhythmical chunks of drums and guitar, bass is unconvential ,synth and sound effects so unusual they could be called avantgarde. 'Smokeless Zone' is pure pop (with a hint of a reference to the early Beatles) but it sounds like it was recorded almost 20 years later - in the heyday of techno music. And this was recorded in 1979. And 'Respectable Street' is the most straightforward punk song - but guess what? - in the background there's a noise of vinyl record crackling. Guess which one was used for that? Andy was a big fan of Genesis and Peter Gabriel.

Edited by clarke2001 - May 15 2009 at 14:56
lucas View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2009 at 02:29
"Magma was the very first gothic rock band" (Didier Lockwood)
debrewguy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2009 at 18:09
'm curious as to why no mention of Apple Venus Vol 1
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 16 2009 at 18:45
XTC really is a great band; however, I don't think they belong in the Archives, either.

And I LOVE Apple Venus Vol 1. Disc just blew me away.

E
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2009 at 07:39
@debrewguy:

I did, I did, I did, look look look, it's there, one page back, one page, one page, look look look, go on ,go on, go on.
There, there, there, see it? It's there, right there: Apple Venus.
Oh dear, I have to lie down now.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2009 at 09:29
XTC is a tricky one. Yes, I love 'em to bits but can't help thinking they could be considered as creators of freshly minted antique coins. They are certainly influenced greatly by prog but I fear this is maybe a one way street ? In many ways XTC have come to resemble a multi faceted version of Black Bonzo i.e the latter can mimic with insouciant ease any manner of heavy prog from the 70's while the former can do the same with any manner of pop music from the 60's through to now. (a considerably wider and harder remit to be sure and deserving of the status of curators of popular music)

Partridge & Co's early post punk output was palpably influenced by Talking Heads (and David Byrne in particular) before they moved into the realm of retro psychedelica (Skylarking - Oranges and Lemons - Dukes of Stratosphear etc) and along the way, there is probably no conceivable style or genre of pop music that they have not assimilated into their writing during a very long career.

So where would they fit in PA ?

Eclectic Prog - Nah, not predominantly progressive enough methinks ?
Crossover Prog - Nah, not predominantly progressive enough methinks ?
Prog Related - Blend characteristics of Progressive Rock with mainstream elements creating a final product that despite not being part of the genre is evident that are close to Prog. - borderline, as they fit the foregoing but have only been influence by prog ?

Having said all that, the strictures of definition belonging to all the available genres cannot possibly be applied to the letter (Music is not an exact science after all) and given the inevitable history of hullaballoos re Bowie, Doors, Miles Davis, Roy Harper and Sabbath etc I catch a whiff of red misty incense in the air round these parts real soon y'all....

So kick out Sabbath and Roy Harper and let XTC in (only kidding - just) LOL

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2009 at 09:52
Please be upstanding for the Mayor of Simpleton...
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2009 at 10:35
No please , Peter Pumpkin Head by your leave.
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2009 at 10:46
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

XTC is a tricky one. Yes, I love 'em to bits but can't help thinking they could be considered as creators of freshly minted antique coins. They are certainly influenced greatly by prog but I fear this is maybe a one way street ? In many ways XTC have come to resemble a multi faceted version of Black Bonzo i.e the latter can mimic with insouciant ease any manner of heavy prog from the 70's while the former can do the same with any manner of pop music from the 60's through to now. (a considerably wider and harder remit to be sure and deserving of the status of curators of popular music)

Partridge & Co's early post punk output was palpably influenced by Talking Heads (and David Byrne in particular) before they moved into the realm of retro psychedelica (Skylarking - Oranges and Lemons - Dukes of Stratosphear etc) and along the way, there is probably no conceivable style or genre of pop music that they have not assimilated into their writing during a very long career.

So where would they fit in PA ?

Eclectic Prog - Nah, not predominantly progressive enough methinks ?
Crossover Prog - Nah, not predominantly progressive enough methinks ?
Prog Related - Blend characteristics of Progressive Rock with mainstream elements creating a final product that despite not being part of the genre is evident that are close to Prog. - borderline, as they fit the foregoing but have only been influence by prog ?

Having said all that, the strictures of definition belonging to all the available genres cannot possibly be applied to the letter (Music is not an exact science after all) and given the inevitable history of hullaballoos re Bowie, Doors, Miles Davis, Roy Harper and Sabbath etc I catch a whiff of red misty incense in the air round these parts real soon y'all....

So kick out Sabbath and Roy Harper and let XTC in (only kidding - just) LOL

Great post!

Just adding a few things to spice things up:

Barry Andrews played with XTC and Robert Fripp's League Of Gentlemen.
Pat Mastelotto played for XTC and King Crimson.
Dave Mattacks played for XTC, Jethro Tull and Fairport Convention.
Todd Rundgren played keyboards and did backing vocals (as well as production) on "Skylarking".
"Battery Brides (Andy Paints Brian)" is dedicated to Brian Eno.
Primus covered two songs from "Drums and Wires".
"The Magic Roundabout" from the "English Settlement" is in 5/4.
They used classical guitars, prepared pianos, a battery of analog synths, flugelhorns, trumpets, horns, saxophones, oboe, harmonica, various ethnic percussions, gamelan angklung, sound effects, alive frogs, tiple, sitar, violas, cellos, violins, Hammond organ, both Chemberlain and  Mellotron.
"25 O' Clock" is a psyche record, with psyche music and psyche cover. The album was recorder on a four-track to replicate overdubbing techniques of the era. "Bike To The Moon" is obvious example of Barrett/Pink Floyd influence.

There's more, but that will do. Of course, each of these points might mean nothing, but alltogether they could be rellevant in The Grand Scheme Of ThingsSmile

Carl Snow View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 16:16
Originally posted by jimidom jimidom wrote:

How about Dukes of Stratosphear for Psychedelic/ Space Rock? Cool

Amen!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2009 at 18:06
Originally posted by Carl Snow Carl Snow wrote:

Originally posted by jimidom jimidom wrote:

How about Dukes of Stratosphear for Psychedelic/ Space Rock? Cool

Amen!
Unfortunately the "psyche" in Psychedelic/ Space Rock refers to Psychedelic Progressive Rock, which the Dukes are not.
What?
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2009 at 07:12
Originally posted by clarke2001 clarke2001 wrote:

Great post!

Just adding a few things to spice things up:

Barry Andrews played with XTC and Robert Fripp's League Of Gentlemen.
Pat Mastelotto played for XTC and King Crimson.
Dave Mattacks played for XTC, Jethro Tull and Fairport Convention.
Todd Rundgren played keyboards and did backing vocals (as well as production) on "Skylarking".
"Battery Brides (Andy Paints Brian)" is dedicated to Brian Eno.
Primus covered two songs from "Drums and Wires".
"The Magic Roundabout" from the "English Settlement" is in 5/4.
They used classical guitars, prepared pianos, a battery of analog synths, flugelhorns, trumpets, horns, saxophones, oboe, harmonica, various ethnic percussions, gamelan angklung, sound effects, alive frogs, tiple, sitar, violas, cellos, violins, Hammond organ, both Chemberlain and  Mellotron.
"25 O' Clock" is a psyche record, with psyche music and psyche cover. The album was recorder on a four-track to replicate overdubbing techniques of the era. "Bike To The Moon" is obvious example of Barrett/Pink Floyd influence.

There's more, but that will do. Of course, each of these points might mean nothing, but alltogether they could be rellevant in The Grand Scheme Of ThingsSmile

I think that makes a good case for prog related.  I also think Talking Heads should be there. 

Which XTC album was Pat on?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>