Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy not 4 and 1/2 stars?? Please...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2009 at 20:01
Originally posted by TheSubhuman TheSubhuman wrote:

Originally posted by p0mt3 p0mt3 wrote:

But I digress . . . perhaps I am being a bit harsh. I'm just tired of seeing nearly every suggestion given in this place hardly regarded by anybody as being serious. They're all just kind of waved away as foolish, then the Admins and/or my fellow Collaborators proceed to explain why PA is perfect just the way it is.

If this truly is the case, then this section of the forums might as well not exist.

Finally somebody who has seen the light. No suggestion here is taken seriously, and the result is that people have left the site in droves. But you cannot force people to listen to you. They will just point out, and not necessarily in a pleasant way, that either you accept things as they are, or you can leave - no matter how hard you have worked on behalf of the site. If anyone bothered to look at things a bit more in depth, they would realize there are LOTS of things that are in need of fixing, and the review section is only one of them.

Not fair, my friend. I never said anything of the sort, and if I came across this way, i am truly sorry.

I do not fault a single person here for their choices. After all, running a site like this is a HUGE job, and I'm sure the Admins do their best. Please do not think I don't appreciate what they do here for us. I was merely pointing out that at times they make decisions that confuse me, but I'm sure they have their reasons. Smile
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 02:19
Originally posted by Fieldofsorrow Fieldofsorrow wrote:

It sounds like a pretty good idea to me. I mean, I've reviewed a few things, and had exactly the same dilemma as PinkPangolin described in a couple of instances. My major problem is that although an album may be of top notch quality, it isn't necessarily 'essential' to every prog fan's collection - very few things are, I would say. But four stars looks very understated when commenting on an album that is truly fantastic.

Well said... There are many albums I'd love to give 5 stars, but they aren't "a masterpiece of progressive rock music" per se...

This creates some massive annoyances.
But
In this case, and album usually won't fit the criteria of 5 stars, as it isn't a masterpiece of prog.

In those instances, I'll give a 4.

But
I love the system
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 02:28

But I digress . . . perhaps I am being a bit harsh. I'm just tired of seeing nearly every suggestion given in this place hardly regarded by anybody as being serious. They're all just kind of waved away as foolish, then the Admins and/or my fellow Collaborators proceed to explain why PA is perfect just the way it is.If this truly is the case, then this section of the forums might as well not exist.
Finally somebody who has seen the light. No suggestion here is taken seriously, and the result is that people have left the site in droves. But you cannot force people to listen to you. They will just point out, and not necessarily in a pleasant way, that either you accept things as they are, or you can leave - no matter how hard you have worked on behalf of the site. If anyone bothered to look at things a bit more in depth, they would realize there are LOTS of things that are in need of fixing, and the review section is only one of them.
Not fair, my friend. I never said anything of the sort, and if I came across this way, i am truly sorry.I do not fault a single person here for their choices. After all, running a site like this is a HUGE job, and I'm sure the Admins do their best. Please do not think I don't appreciate what they do here for us. I was merely pointing out that at times they make decisions that confuse me, but I'm sure they have their reasons. Smile

I am in complete disagreeance with you, TheSubHuman.

The progarchives Admin and Collaborators are all pretty much incredibly helpful people, and I'd genuinely like to see proof or evidence of what you said. The PA admins are always grateful for assistance, and never "...just point out, and not necessarily in a pleasant way, that either you accept things as they are, or you can leave".

After 5 months, I've never encountered a problem to the likes of which you described, and I've never had a single complaint against the collaborators or admin in that time.

Evidence, or hush.
-Joel
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 05:38

1) 5 stars is fine.

2) If you're not happy, imagine you only have 3 and that's been upped to 5.

3) If there was a system with 100 stars, there would be people complaing that it's a) too much and b) still not enough.

4) I must admit it would be fun though to watch people agonising over whether to award an album 4352 or 4353 stars in a 10 000 star rating system. Big smile

5) If you're in two minds whether to award 5 stars or not, you shouldn't. 

Edited by npjnpj - July 27 2009 at 05:45
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 05:57
Originally posted by npjnpj npjnpj wrote:

1) 5 stars is fine.

2) If you're not happy, imagine you only have 3 and that's been upped to 5.

3) If there was a system with 100 stars, there would be people complaing that it's a) too much and b) still not enough.

4) I must admit it would be fun though to watch people agonising over whether to award an album 4352 or 4353 stars in a 10 000 star rating system. Big smile

5) If you're in two minds whether to award 5 stars or not, you shouldn't. 

Clap
And there's the win of this thread!!!   EXACTLY!!  Use it sparingly folks, so it really means something when you do use it.  There should be no doubt in your mind whether or not the title you are rating is a masterpiece. 

And as mentioned earlier, I'd favor 10, but it's not likely to happen here.  It isn't that Admin refuses to hear the case.....they have heard it.....as has Max no doubt, and decided not to proceed with it.  These kinds of issues really shouldn't be harming your ability to express your opinion, that is what the text of your review is for.  You can specify there if you wish something like "7/10" or 3 1/2 stars.  People will understand. 

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 27 2009 at 09:04
People please, don't screw with the space-time continuum...

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 28 2009 at 22:56
Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 13:28
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

But I digress . . . perhaps I am being a bit harsh. I'm just tired of seeing nearly every suggestion given in this place hardly regarded by anybody as being serious. They're all just kind of waved away as foolish, then the Admins and/or my fellow Collaborators proceed to explain why PA is perfect just the way it is.If this truly is the case, then this section of the forums might as well not exist.
Not fair, my friend. I never said anything of the sort, and if I came across this way, i am truly sorry.I do not fault a single person here for their choices. After all, running a site like this is a HUGE job, and I'm sure the Admins do their best. Please do not think I don't appreciate what they do here for us. I was merely pointing out that at times they make decisions that confuse me, but I'm sure they have their reasons. Smile

I am in complete disagreeance with you, TheSubHuman.

The progarchives Admin and Collaborators are all pretty much incredibly helpful people, and I'd genuinely like to see proof or evidence of what you said. The PA admins are always grateful for assistance, and never "...just point out, and not necessarily in a pleasant way, that either you accept things as they are, or you can leave".

After 5 months, I've never encountered a problem to the likes of which you described, and I've never had a single complaint against the collaborators or admin in that time.

Evidence, or hush.
-Joel
Counter-Argument: Can you find one change that has been suggested in this forum in the past year that was actually implemented? While the tone is not as aggressive as he implies, the fact is that this forum is more or less ignored in a practical sense, even though you can see an admin or two posting in most of the threads about how nothing needs to change.
if you own a sodastream i hate you
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 13:32
Originally posted by TGM: Orb TGM: Orb wrote:

Why not 3.124348989828 stars.

Or 2j stars.

Or 6 stars, in case you ever need to rate Dream Theater's Scenes From A Memory Metropolis on a scale of 6 to 100 Tongue

In short, I think there are sites... Mike's for one, which cater nicely to the micro-ratings crowd. As it is, I have enough trouble deciding between three and four... deciding between good but not essential or good but not essential and a half seems even more difficult.

As it is, I think the problems are basically three-fold.

1. The rating criteria we've got now aren't perfect, but they can fit most shades of opinion pretty well. If you want to distinguish a four star you really like from one you think is just there, you've space in the review for it.

2. The reviews/ratings already on the site would be sort of compromised in terms of impact because I don't think anyone could be bothered to go through all their old reviews and fix things up by half a star.

3. It would be a lot of work for poor M@X.

And
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

People simply underestimate the stature of 4 stars and therefore overuse the 5 star choice way too often.  4 is not just a good album, it's a really GREAT album.  You just need to adjust your thinking to limit your 5s to those few albums that are truly special, that magical top shelf of masterpieces that is a very small percentage of anyone's recorded music collection.   
With a little practice, you begin to realize that not every album you enjoy needs 5 stars.  It took me quite a bit of time to adjust to that, but now it is second nature.   Good luckSmile

is dead on.

Lol, 2j stars?!! An imaginary score ftw. Why not just let the user choose a percentage and log that, but round it to the nearest star and use that for the rating math. That way there's an illusion of choice.

Edited by Deathrabbit - July 28 2009 at 13:34
PinkPangolin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 18:29
Errr....  Wow everybody - remember I only asked for 4.5 not anything else (not 3.5, nor 2.5, nor2j nor 6 out of 100 or 4532 out of 10000) - merely 4 and a 1/2.LOL

I agree with the sentiment that you can write "4.5 really", but you still have to click the circle, and the quondry (*how do you spell that?) remains - is it a "5" but 4.5 really or is it a "4" but 4.5 really?  Ummmm....Cry

For all those that Agree with me - I can see there are a lot of you - DUDES!!!Clap

Has there ever been a poll on this?  How about put your money where your mouth is - whoever wins the poll then that's what happens (or doesn't) - challenge time!Ouch
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 18:42
Originally posted by PinkPangolin PinkPangolin wrote:

Errr....  Wow everybody - remember I only asked for 4.5 not anything else (not 3.5, nor 2.5, nor2j nor 6 out of 100 or 4532 out of 10000) - merely 4 and a 1/2.LOL

I agree with the sentiment that you can write "4.5 really", but you still have to click the circle, and the quondry (*how do you spell that?) remains - is it a "5" but 4.5 really or is it a "4" but 4.5 really?  Ummmm....Cry

For all those that Agree with me - I can see there are a lot of you - DUDES!!!Clap

Has there ever been a poll on this?  How about put your money where your mouth is - whoever wins the poll then that's what happens (or doesn't) - challenge time!Ouch

The problem is that the admins just don't care. This argument has been brought up and shot down time and again, and rather unfairly in my opinion, However, as I mentioned above, the admins are busy fellows, and they don't want to focus on anything except what is absolutely necessary. Problem is, a lot of people seem to think that a beter rating system is in fact necessary. But if the admins don't think so, then that is how it stays.

And the wheels on the bus go 'round and 'round . . .
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 22:28

People simply underestimate the stature of 4 stars and therefore overuse the 5 star choice way too often.  4 is not just a good album, it's a really GREAT album.  You just need to adjust your thinking to limit your 5s to those few albums that are truly special, that magical top shelf of masterpieces that is a very small percentage of anyone's recorded music collection.   
With a little practice, you begin to realize that not every album you enjoy needs 5 stars.  It took me quite a bit of time to adjust to that, but now it is second nature.   Good luckSmile

I actually agree that having a 10 scale would make rating simpler, I just don't think we'll ever see it happen.  I think it would be a lot of work for the big guy. 

Wise words matey, agreed. I do also think that the 3 star rating has come to be perceived as a lukewarm or damning appraisal of an album (It ain't, it means you deem it to be a GOOD record) Furthermore, a great many of us are certainly guilty of rating way too high i.e. those reviews you see where the author trashes 3 of the tracks as 'boring' 'ordinary' 'dull' etc and still lands a big wet tonguey 5 star smacker on the critter (go figure)

I have given extra half stars to albums in the past (as part of the body text) but on reflection I think the introduction of this feature would be counter productive i.e. the current rating system forces you to make a clear and unequivocal decision about how you rate the music and half stars would just blur this division. The description tags attached to each number slot strike me as being both well thought through and unambiguously defined. (God that sounds really sycophantic.....)

You wanna try defining one of the proffered new slots ?

****1/2 stars - Excellent addition to any prog rock music collection although not essential but less non essential than a ***

Once again I fear these debates boil down to what people really want from 'PA' i.e. do they want to make informed purchasing decisions based solely on a numerical rating ? (if they do they are credulous beyond belief) or do they want to take the time and effort to extricate themselves from the subjective quicksand that is musical appreciation ?

Blah etc

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 28 2009 at 23:04
If you want to split hairs for your rating or add qualifications to it, you are more than free to do that in your written review and explain why.  Helps you make your minimum word count (guilty but not as too much of a matter of habit). I'm on the side of not changing it because it's been in place for a few years now and aren't you messing with those who have picked ratings in the past by recalibrating the scale?

Edited by Slartibartfast - July 29 2009 at 09:07
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 01:09
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

If you want to split hairs for your rating or add qualifications to it, you are more than free to do that in your written review and explain why.  Helps you make your minimum word count (guilty but not as too much of a matter of habit). I'm on the side of not changing it because it's been in place for a few years now and aren't you messing with those who have picked ratings in the past by recalibrating the scale?

All the man was asking for a half star option between stars 4 and 5. It's not like he was asking for an entire re-working of the whole damn rating system. Sheesh. Confused
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 01:27
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

I am in complete disagreeance with you, TheSubHuman. The progarchives Admin and Collaborators are all pretty much incredibly helpful people, and I'd genuinely like to see proof or evidence of what you said. The PA admins are always grateful for assistance, and never "...just point out, and not necessarily in a pleasant way, that either you accept things as they are, or you can leave". After 5 months, I've never encountered a problem to the likes of which you described, and I've never had a single complaint against the collaborators or admin in that time. Evidence, or hush. -Joel

Counter-Argument: Can you find one change that has been suggested in this forum in the past year that was actually implemented? While the tone is not as aggressive as he implies, the fact is that this forum is more or less ignored in a practical sense, even though you can see an admin or two posting in most of the threads about how nothing needs to change.

Hmm...

Very good point

I can't think of anytime something has been changed... But on the other hand, I can't say I've seen anything of urgency that needs to be changed soon.
Failcore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 02:03

All the man was asking for a half star option between stars 4 and 5. It's not like he was asking for an entire re-working of the whole damn rating system. Sheesh. Confused

+1 I don't see how this would cause anyone to have to recalculate anything. And I don't buy the slippery slope argument that people would want smaller divisions than half stars. That seems inane.
JLocke View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 02:06
Originally posted by Deathrabbit Deathrabbit wrote:

+1 I don't see how this would cause anyone to have to recalculate anything. And I don't buy the slippery slope argument that people would want smaller divisions than half stars. That seems inane.

It happens every time without fail; someone proposes a perfectly sensible 'upgrade' to the rating system, then every blessed member jumps his case and starts saying that what he really wants is a complete re-working, and small fragmented stars, and how much work that would take, and so on and so forth.

I just . . . don't get it.
topofsm View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 03:07
Just going to throw in my two cents while the discussion's still hot, I'm all for the half star intervals. There are several albums that I know are between the already predetermined intervals, most notably in the 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 star range, though I know I have a couple 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 ones that I could easily and happily change.

Ivan had exactly the right idea of how to do this in a discussion not too long ago. Just install half star increments. People don't have to change the ratings if they don't want to, and the people who change their ratings will be more accurate.

As for the categorization standards, Ivan also had the right idea.

5 stars: Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music
4.5 stars: Still a masterpiece but may not be essential for some
4 stars: Not a masterpiece but close to the status, excellent addition to any Prog collection
3.5 stas: Excellent addition to any prog rock collection
3 Stars: Good addition for any Prog Rock collection, excellent for followers of the sub-genre
2.5 Stars:  Average
2 stars:  Fans/Collectors only
1.5 Stars: Diehard fans Only
1 Star: Not reccomended, buy it at your risk
0.5 stars: Only for those familiar  the band, the album and sure of what they are buying, otherwise, avoid it.

Here are the consequences, positive and negative:

A large group of people would feel more satisfied with the rating so that it matched their review

Ratings would change slightly to fit just a bit more towards the community's average. Albums like Tresspass and Tales from Topographic Oceans will rise because they are classics though less important or interesting and fit the 4.5 rating nicely. Ratings in general will probably also rise.

People will ask for more intervals, in which case we can continue to do more intervals or easily ignore it. In my opinion 10 intervals for ratings is fine with me. This can of worms is probably going to come out again inevitably, but we have a counterargument by saying 'it's better than what we used to have'.

Edited by topofsm - July 29 2009 at 03:08

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 29 2009 at 09:07
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

Just going to throw in my two cents while the discussion's still hot, I'm all for the half star intervals. There are several albums that I know are between the already predetermined intervals, most notably in the 3 1/2 and 4 1/2 star range, though I know I have a couple 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 ones that I could easily and happily change.

Ivan had exactly the right idea of how to do this in a discussion not too long ago. Just install half star increments. People don't have to change the ratings if they don't want to, and the people who change their ratings will be more accurate.

As for the categorization standards, Ivan also had the right idea.

5 stars: Essential: a masterpiece of progressive rock music
4.5 stars: Still a masterpiece but may not be essential for some
4 stars: Not a masterpiece but close to the status, excellent addition to any Prog collection
3.5 stas: Excellent addition to any prog rock collection
3 Stars: Good addition for any Prog Rock collection, excellent for followers of the sub-genre
2.5 Stars:  Average
2 stars:  Fans/Collectors only
1.5 Stars: Diehard fans Only
1 Star: Not reccomended, buy it at your risk
0.5 stars: Only for those familiar  the band, the album and sure of what they are buying, otherwise, avoid it.

Here are the consequences, positive and negative:

A large group of people would feel more satisfied with the rating so that it matched their review

Ratings would change slightly to fit just a bit more towards the community's average. Albums like Tresspass and Tales from Topographic Oceans will rise because they are classics though less important or interesting and fit the 4.5 rating nicely. Ratings in general will probably also rise.

People will ask for more intervals, in which case we can continue to do more intervals or easily ignore it. In my opinion 10 intervals for ratings is fine with me. This can of worms is probably going to come out again inevitably, but we have a counterargument by saying 'it's better than what we used to have'.

That's not a too bad scale actually.  Ultimately I don't care too much.  The content of the review matters much more to me than the rating.  But I'm warning you, it will screw up the space time continuum. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 16:48

I actually agree that having a 10 scale would make rating simpler, I just don't think we'll ever see it happen.  I think it would be a lot of work for the big guy. 

I do fully respect what you are saying, and it makes sense - it's just that I do find it ever so hard to make my mind up whether an album is a 4 or a 5.  If it's less than 4 it's not a problem for me personally.

By the way I love this website - it's fabulous, and I don't think it really needs many changes, and I'm certainly not going to go off and join somewhere else instead.  I understand it's not easy to make changes (to get agreement with everybody is hard).

To be truthful, though, it's the personal reviews, though, that attracted me at first (ie the best bit) - a review of "Meddle" by Pink Floyd infact.

Cheers for your support all you Prog-heads - up the 4 and a 1/2 !!!Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 30 2009 at 17:05
PS - I've put a poll vote on this in Prog polls forum.

Sorry if that's annoying

pp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>